MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY   FRESH BATCH BEGINS WITH FREE SEMINAR:5TH JAN'19 @ 11 AM
MITRASIAS: 39 PUSA ROAD SAMAYAK TOWER OPP. METRO PILLAR 120
Further Details Please Call us: 01145505509

General Studies Doubts thread for Freshers/Newbies

This is a thread for newcomers/freshers who have doubts regarding any topic of General Studies papers. You can ask any static portion related doubts here. I am free for few months now. I will try to explain those things with my limited knowledge and friend's help.

ONLY FOR NEWBIES. Seniors already know everything. SILLY DOUBTS ALSO WELCOMED. DON'T FEAR OF WRONG QUESTIONS. Just ask any static topic doubt here.

I urge all other senior or experienced souls to contribute on any doubt. Also I request senior people not to discourage anyone asking simple or wrong doubts.

PS- Just a try to give back to forum which I took from here. Hopefully it revives some of its old glory and real purpose of such plateform. :)

Waiting for your doubt .. but only Syllabus Static topic related ones.. for other queries use other threads !

PS- Also available for same at telegram @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin
Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
But I have promises to keep..
And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)

Comments

• A very good initiative @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh ! :)
    P - 3 | M - 3* | I -0
  • Sir abhi bhi gs1 geography section, gs3 economics and agriculture se pareshan hu, samajh nhi aata ki inhe kese cover kiya jay, ki in sections k questions na chhute, like a question of saving rate ,exam me aane se pehle nhi pata tha ye hota kya h,aur is saal bhi like super market aur agricultural marketing.
  • What are the limitation of CPI over WPI in india

This is not a syllabus doubt bro...
  • mahi2501 said:

What are the limitation of CPI over WPI in india

How u know that
  • What is the purpose of agro-climatic zoning

If you truly want answers try to google before posting such sweeping questions, posting specific questions would help all
    P-2,M-2*:I-0
    Mains:17-800 :s
    PSIR :120 :'( +155

If you truly want answers try to google before posting such sweeping questions, posting specific questions would help all
    i searched google but did not find a generic answer so asked here
  • Agro climatic zoning helps in
    Ecological land use
    Therefore higher productivity ,remuneration,inclusive growth s/m farmers and women and sc/St populations;lesser ecological damage like soil exhaustion deforestation GW recharge etc
    Better policy making açcc to landuse,

It's a evidence based scientific way for planning for development.
  • You can also add lesser geographical inequality as coastal and agriculture regions sweep away all the benefits.....

I can think of 2 points -

1) Scope - CPI reflects the consumer demand side of the economy(food, housing, clothing, misc like recreation) while WPI is more reflective of the producers side of the story (primary articles - both food and non food, minerals + fuel + manufacturing) - The scope of CPI items is limited via a vis WPI but it is useful for understanding how the average man is hit by policy changes.

WPI is more useful to calculate changes in business cost of raw materials and designing trade policies. It also emphasizes more on manufacturing.

2) Release of statistics - CPI is released only monthly - WPI is available weekly and monthly (weak limitation)

I dont think this specific type of stuff will be asked. This is more appropriate for economics optional. But if anyone can add more points or correct me, that would be great.
  • @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir pls tell how to approach for ethics and sources for it?? Also guide for gs 2 and gs 3.
  • Is it required to take a class for psir optional
    If not what will be the efficient way to cover the syllabus...
  • anist said:

Is it required to take a class for psir optional
    If not what will be the efficient way to cover the syllabus...

• I have read that cyclone travels from west to east under the trade wind and hence always hits the east coast. But last year a cyclone called ockhi hitted the Gujrat which is on west coast. How this phenomenon can be explained geographically?
  • edited November 15

@Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir pls tell how to approach for ethics and sources for it?? Also guide for gs 2 and gs 3.

a thread by @Etat and yoyo was made few years back , please check , it is a goldmine
    HUSTLE
  • sufism said:

I have read that cyclone travels from west to east under the trade wind and hence always hits the east coast. But last year a cyclone called ockhi hitted the Gujrat which is on west coast. How this phenomenon can be explained geographically?

In equatorial/tropical/Monsoonal regions, due to shifting of ITCZ Hadley cell moves and thus conventional trade wind's direction changes and that affects cyclonic system's direction.

Moreover around 20-25 degrees sometime cyclones come into influence of westerlies - e.g. Hurricanes around US east coast, and thus bends in such direction.

So you have to consider such changes in traditional planetary wind patterns.
  • @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir pls tell how to approach for ethics and sources for it?? Also guide for gs 2 and gs 3.

a thread by @Etat and yoyo was made few years back , please check , it is a goldmine
    @zohanmukharjee sir can u pls post the link of that thread here ??. I m unable to find. It will be very helpful for us.
  • sufism said:

I have read that cyclone travels from west to east under the trade wind and hence always hits the east coast. But last year a cyclone called ockhi hitted the Gujrat which is on west coast. How this phenomenon can be explained geographically?

In equatorial/tropical/Monsoonal regions, due to shifting of ITCZ Hadley cell moves and thus conventional trade wind's direction changes and that affects cyclonic system's direction.

Moreover around 20-25 degrees sometime cyclones come into influence of westerlies - e.g. Hurricanes around US east coast, and thus bends in such direction.

But most of the time it occurs at 7-10 degree
  • I am not among these vibrant group of youth that constitutes the common mass today. I am among those intellect group of youth who will lead the nation tomorrow.
  • This is a thread for newcomers/freshers who have doubts regarding any topic of General Studies papers. You can ask any static portion related doubts here. I am free for few months now. I will try to explain those things with my limited knowledge and friend's help.

ONLY FOR NEWBIES. Seniors already know everything. SILLY DOUBTS ALSO WELCOMED. DON'T FEAR OF WRONG QUESTIONS. Just ask any static topic doubt here.

I urge all other senior or experienced souls to contribute on any doubt. Also I request senior people not to discourage anyone asking simple or wrong doubts.

PS- Just a try to give back to forum which I took from here. Hopefully it revives some of its old glory and real purpose of such plateform. :)

Waiting for your doubt .. but only Syllabus Static topic related ones.. for other queries use other threads !

Kahan Rehte ho Yo Yo ! Long time no see :)
  • Abcderian said:

Sir abhi bhi gs1 geography section, gs3 economics and agriculture se pareshan hu, samajh nhi aata ki inhe kese cover kiya jay, ki in sections k questions na chhute, like a question of saving rate ,exam me aane se pehle nhi pata tha ye hota kya h,aur is saal bhi like super market aur agricultural marketing.

Ncert+gc lenge for geo.. do multiple revisions.. that's only feasible solution IMO

Eco k notes pkd lo kisi institute k jese vaji ya sriram etc k.. sb to cover khi nhi hoga ..But reasonable ho jata h.. baki newspaper pro regular

Bouncer questions koi nhi pd k jata.. that's either common sense or tukka or leave type questions.. no solution for those IMO :)

Jyada to nhi pta but..

Main limitation is AVAILABILITY , REGULARITY AND RELIABILITY OF DATA ...CPI is complex and difficult to count and ascertain.. but now as technology is developing these limitations are reducing thus govt shifting towards CPI.. :) bss itta hi pta h

• mahi2501 said:

What are the limitation of CPI over WPI in india

Please let people ask .. if doubt is out of syllabus or non related automatically there will be no reply by anyone :) let people open up freely here ! SELF REGULATION least expected.. hopefully people here value that. :)

• Agro climatic zoning helps in
    Ecological land use
    Therefore higher productivity ,remuneration,inclusive growth s/m farmers and women and sc/St populations;lesser ecological damage like soil exhaustion deforestation GW recharge etc
    Better policy making açcc to landuse,

It's a evidence based scientific way for planning for development.

+++

+ Identifying potential areas for certain crop production or industrial locations

+ Suitable crop choice suggestions or agri extension services

+ Area specific targeted approach for improving agri productivity

Etc..

(Write generic with one specific example.. key to score good in mains ;) )

• sufism said:

16*-18* latitude pe unexpected (deep technical stuff) sudden NORTH EAST directional change hota h cyclonic movement ka.. usi k karn Bay of Bengal m India taraf aate cyclone bangladesh chale jaate h or Arabian wale gujrat.. :)

• This is a thread for newcomers/freshers who have doubts regarding any topic of General Studies papers. You can ask any static portion related doubts here. I am free for few months now. I will try to explain those things with my limited knowledge and friend's help.

Kahan Rehte ho Yo Yo ! Long time no see :)
    Bss u hi ;) Enjoying at home sir g ! :)

@zohanmukharjee shukriya bhai

• sufism said:

sufism said:

But most of the time it occurs at 7-10 degree
    7-10 degree pe he to ITCZ shift hota hai...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog