ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

My reformed views on reservation.

Earlier I used to be against the reservation system cz it gives undue advantage to non-deserving well-off candidates.

But recently , I realised that my thinking was confined to the individual level. I was not able to analyse the social benefit that it accrues.

An empowered individual somehow empowers the society as well , at least by means of acting as an example and source of inspiration.

In wake of the larger good that it does to the historically deprived, oppressed sections,the unjust individual advantage can be ignored.

Many reasons to still remain happy.

Comments

• Earlier I used to be against the reservation system cz it gives undue advantage to non-deserving well-off candidates.

But recently , I realised that my thinking was confined to the individual level. I was not able to analyse the social benefit that it accrues.

An empowered individual somehow empowers the society as well , at least by means of acting as an example and source of inspiration.

In wake of the larger good that it does to the historically deprived, oppressed sections,the unjust individual advantage can be ignored.

Your opinion on the absence of creamy layer concept in case of SC/ST and presence in the case of OBC will be much appreciated.

TIA.
    ecosia.org
  • edited May 3

Earlier I used to be against the reservation system cz it gives undue advantage to non-deserving well-off candidates.

Your opinion on the absence of creamy layer concept in case of SC/ST and presence in the case of OBC will be much appreciated.

TIA.
    I think that this apparent double-standard stance of the govt has been due to the " discrimination quotient ".

An elite OBC's discrimination quotient is far less than that of an elite SC/ST.

The forward sections of society still tag an elite SC/ST with his/her category, which is a form of discrimination.

However, in case of an elite OBC, the same forward sections tend to ignore his/her category. He/she somehow is allowed to get assimilated in the forward section.

Thus, the social gap between a general and an elite OBC is much narrower than a general and an elite SC/ST.

This is the reason I think has led to absence of creamy layer concept in SC/ST.

• Ur view hs got"polluted" not "reformed"

Tomorrow ur view on rape may get "reformed" n u may start justifying it advancing devil's advocate n sick logic

Reservation is equivalent to rape of talent, merit, hardwork, innovation, skill............
  • edited May 3

Ur view hs got"polluted" not "reformed"

Tomorrow ur view on rape may get "reformed" n u may start justifying it advancing devil's advocate n sick logic

Reservation is equivalent to rape of talent, merit, hardwork, innovation, skill............

Its all about perception.

Your perception is appreciated as well.

For me, ur views are polluted, and for u, mine are.

Ultimate end is happiness. Talent, merit, hardwork, innovation, skill all are mere means. In my views, u r giving more importance to means than ends.

• I can justify bribery, rape, corruption, nepotism, sati and every wrong thing with ur flawed logic.

A rapist gets pleasure n happiness in raping a girl, so can it b justified ????

A corrupt becomes extremely happy after corruption so corruption must b good as per u ???

Ur logic itself is distorted n u r wrongly applying means-end dichotomy bro. And with this distorted n coloured view u find my logic faulty.

A right is right even if no one follows it and a wrong is wrong even if everyone follows it.
  • edited May 3
    "A right is right even if no one follows it and a wrong is wrong even if everyone follows it."
    wrong, there are mere discourses of right and wrong...just like a doctor by virtue of his authority can make you believe anything, so does the definition of right keeps changing acc to the whims of those wielding power. You are also ignoring the contextual and temporal variability of right and wrong, while belching is considered rude in western culture, in oriental culture belching is seen as an acknowledgment of good taste of food.
    sayonara

• I can justify bribery, rape, corruption, nepotism, sati and every wrong thing with ur flawed logic.

A corrupt becomes extremely happy after corruption so corruption must b good as per u ???

Ur logic itself is distorted n u r wrongly applying means-end dichotomy bro. And with this distorted n coloured view u find my logic faulty.

A right is right even if no one follows it and a wrong is wrong even if everyone follows it.

But u are considering ' right ' what u think is right. You are assuming ur subjectivity as an objective truth.

By happiness as an ultimate end, I mean happiness of the majority at the sake of 'little bit of sorrow' of the minority.

Rape, murder etc lead to great sorrow to the victim, while reservation of the undeserved leads only to ' little' sorrow to those who are against reservation.

Hence, we need to focus on the degree or intensity of the grief or pain. A prick of the needle and a cut of the sword, both inflict pain, but both these pains can't be equated just for the sake of argument cz there is difference of 'degree' of pain.

• Why we don't talk about unofficial reservation for Brahmans in civil service.

3 p.c Brahmans make up 40 p.c of the bureacracy.

I keep on hearing that Brahmans are awarded above average marks in interview.

Not to mention that top echelons of Bureacracy are dominated by Brahmans.
  • edited May 3
    People from iit iim grp A service taking benefit of reservation...... How is equality of opportunity is denied for them....? I never understand? My understanding of reservation is that a few group r socially n educationally backward so reservation but how these students from top notch institute or paying lakh of rupees as coaching fee r backward? ....reservation is necessary but for those relally need it.

By the way pre ke liye competition karne ka accha upay hai ye grp
  • Earlier I used to be against the reservation system cz it gives undue advantage to non-deserving well-off candidates.

TIA.
    There is no linkage of these two , reservation for them (SC/ST ) never had any economic consideration but social considerations .
    once again HUSTLE

Vai apko reservatn ke kisi ladki se pyar hogya he..isliye opinion badal gya apka :tongue:
    T ↑ [0→1] = T ↓ [1→infinity]
  • shivajii said:

Why we don't talk about unofficial reservation for Brahmans in civil service.

3 p.c Brahmans make up 40 p.c of the bureacracy.

I keep on hearing that Brahmans are awarded above average marks in interview.

Not to mention that top echelons of Bureacracy are dominated by Brahmans.

Apka to pakka brahim ladki se brk up ho gya he :D
    T ↑ [0→1] = T ↓ [1→infinity]

I guess it's just a tactic to polarize views in wake of CSE result and let others do the dirty work for you. It's written all over your comment. General guys, with a sense of existential threat combined with natural righteousness, are always more vocal on such issues. But in anonymity.

For example, consider the highlighted part. A general category empowered young adult will empower the society equally well as her SC/ST counterpart, if not more. Flawed reasoning.

So now that we've established that you want to play a shrewd game, I wonder if you copied it from some US TV series or it's your own intellectual property... :lol: :lol:

If it's your own, my compliments are with you. You have a highly functional brain and will go far in life. Congratulations. Try politics, I will say...

But u are considering ' right ' what u think is right. You are assuming ur subjectivity as an objective truth.

By happiness as an ultimate end, I mean happiness of the majority at the sake of 'little bit of sorrow' of the minority.

Rape, murder etc lead to great sorrow to the victim, while reservation of the undeserved leads only to ' little' sorrow to those who are against reservation.

Hence, we need to focus on the degree or intensity of the grief or pain. A prick of the needle and a cut of the sword, both inflict pain, but both these pains can't be equated just for the sake of argument cz there is difference of 'degree' of pain.

So considering ur "degree of pain" criteria

Molestation, eve teasing n groping is good as compared to rape , bcz the earlier causes relatively less pain ????

Petty corruption again is good as compared to grand corruption ?????

• Ur view hs got"polluted" not "reformed"

+100000
    कमजोरियाँ मत खोज मुझमें मेरे दोस्त!
    एक तू भी शामिल है मेरी कमजोरियों मे!!
  • rupa k khareed lo brown color me abhi bhi time he, nhi toh 3 ko bhajji ho jayegi
    sayonara

I guess it's just a tactic to polarize views in wake of CSE result and let others do the dirty work for you. It's written all over your comment. General guys, with a sense of existential threat combined with natural righteousness, are always more vocal on such issues. But in anonymity.

For example, consider the highlighted part. A general category empowered young adult will empower the society equally well as her SC/ST counterpart, if not more. Flawed reasoning.

So now that we've established that you want to play a shrewd game, I wonder if you copied it from some US TV series or it's your own intellectual property... :lol: :lol:

If it's your own, my compliments are with you. You have a highly functional brain and will go far in life. Congratulations. Try politics, I will say...
    :)

So what is INDIA - some corporate company for reaping the most profit out of its potential for its owners ,if this was the case there would be another division of india on base of forwards and backwards the moment india got independence.
    -You people loot, maim a large section of society and say they are born only to do menial work and suddenly you scums are teaching that everybody is equal and stand equally in fight for life and status when a large section is still in stone era .
    -while i understand that wrongdoing of ancestors has nothing to do with present but this needs to be rectified through various ways - reservation is one (while i understand that its not working exactly as intended ) . For people with theoretical problems with special privileges given to backwards - l my reply is its karma of your ancestors hitting,its your time to payback, atleast pay for 300 years for 3000 years of deprivation and misdeeds, aur agar takkat hai to hata le ladke.

TIA.
    There is no linkage of these two , reservation for them (SC/ST ) never had any economic consideration but social considerations .
    Has the reservation policy not succeeded yet to raise the Social Status of a single person belonging to SC/ST?

If it has succeeded in some cases, then why shouldn't there be a "Social Creamy Layer" for such SC/ST people and deprive them of further reservation benefits to make way for the rest of the downtrodden people in their own community? Just like "Economic Creamy Layer" among OBC people.

If it hasn't succeeded yet, then is it too soon to question whether this policy is the right policy for Social Upliftment? Or is it already showing the results but not sweet enough to impart something like "Social Creamy Layer"?

P.S. - I'm one of those General Category people who score 50 percent and try to sound like an intellectual when it comes to Reservation Debate. And I fail, miserably.
    ecosia.org
  • abhi5445 said:

I can justify bribery, rape, corruption, nepotism, sati and every wrong thing with ur flawed logic.

So what is INDIA - some corporate company for reaping the most profit out of its potential for its owners ,if this was the case there would be another division of india on base of forwards and backwards the moment india got independence.
    -You people loot, maim a large section of society and say they are born only to do menial work and suddenly you scums are teaching that everybody is equal and stand equally in fight for life and status when a large section is still in stone era .
    -while i understand that wrongdoing of ancestors has nothing to do with present but this needs to be rectified through various ways - reservation is one (while i understand that its not working exactly as intended ) . For people with theoretical problems with special privileges given to backwards - l my reply is its karma of your ancestors hitting,its your time to payback, atleast pay for 300 years for 3000 years of deprivation and misdeeds, aur agar takkat hai to hata le ladke.
    Keep your emotions aside. Reservation is a flawed policy to hide Brahman domination.

3 percent Brahmans make up 40 percent of the Bureacracy. They make other forward castes, OBCs and SC/STs fight each other to hide their un official reservation.

There should be proportional reservation. For eg - 3 pc brahmans should only get 3 pc of total govt jobs and so on.

• abhi5445 said:

I can justify bribery, rape, corruption, nepotism, sati and every wrong thing with ur flawed logic.

Chill bro

Dnt get emotional

Hv a glass of cold water, u will feel better
  • shivajii said:

abhi5445 said:

Keep your emotions aside. Reservation is a flawed policy to hide Brahman domination.

3 percent Brahmans make up 40 percent of the Bureacracy. They make other forward castes, OBCs and SC/STs fight each other to hide their un official reservation.

There should be proportional reservation. For eg - 3 pc brahmans should only get 3 pc of total govt jobs and so on.

My answer was not related to a specific policy ,it was adressed to people who think special support to lower rungs of society is wrong. Try not to pass judgement or just Dont adress it to me when my answer wasn't adressed to you.
  • edited May 3
    shivajii said:

abhi5445 said:

See the effect of reservation... Ye report kisi 35% wale ne hi banai hai... chutya deescremination ka spelling nahi ata...

dek mai bhi bhul gaya ab spelling.. future of India :trollface:

best joke of today... sala spelling nahi ata aur inko govt job chahiye :trollface:

@GeneralDong_shakaal aajao bhai maidan me
    Cut off - ajgar range :D
  • abhi5445 said:

Ekdam sahi kahaa Bhai. Kisi me taakat nhi hai isse hataane ki.

Sivaaye Supreme Court ke.

And end of reservation, in current form, will come from SC only. Like the SC/ST Atrocities Act verdict... Various HC's and SC have already advised for economic basis of reservation policy in several verdicts... Slowly we are inching towards a rationalized/diminished reservation policy...

Thodaa ho-hallaa hogaa, 2 April jaisaa, 10-15 buses phoonki jaayengi but reservation will end... Sooner or later...
  • reservation reservation chillate rhte ho kya tum log apne baccho ko bhi public sector me kaam krane ka soch bethe ho , mtlb hadd log he dunia kha phuch gyi or yha log abhi bhi govt job k liye ld rhe he , km se km next gen toh nikle adventurous, risk taking, enterprising ...wha reservation ki need nhi hoti
    sayonara
  • edited May 3
    Reservation exists because casteism exists. Once intercaste marriages are norm of the day, when interviewers stop favouring people from same caste backgrounds, when policy makers stop regional discrimination in fund allocations, when people will stop thinking of themselves as superior when they are asked what is their caste and reply is 'brahmin' 'rajput' 'baniya' 'jat' etc
    Just because they are born in certain castes they think they have achived something in life. I see cars with 'rajputs' 'jaats' etc written on back of them.
    Reservation exists because you can single out castes and tell the progress in terms of 'educational qualification of their parents' 'jobs of their parents' etc
    You can single out villages and tell without even visiting them that if their is lack of proper supply of electricity or lack of road to the nearby town- that has to be an ST village.
    We have beaucrats after beauraucrats and politicians after politicians who can think of a 'particular caste' and can tell you their 'traits' 'if they are martial or non martial castes' if they can be trusted or not trusted.
    So if you think a general category person and an ST qualifying and becoming an officer has same impact over the same class, community then my dear ! You really do not know anyything.

Yes it is very bad that young talented people have to sit outside but what is the sureity that without reservation we will have people from all sections of society working in the bureaucracy. That if reservation is taken out we will not see the list being full of the same upper caste people who will take pride in marrying within the same upper caste people and the benefits will be percolated down?

Look at our legislatures, how many women are there? How many women work in mines? How many company CEOs are dalits or how many in the upper echelons of bureaucracy are dalits?

It is beeecause we are a bloody casteist society that we have reservation. Yes the application has manny faults in it but to say that the idea itself is wrong, is nothing but ignorance
  • One can debate all he wants but deep down in his heart everyone knows that absence of creamy layer in SC/ST is the single biggest reason that fruits of reservation have not percolated/trickled down to those who are really needy

Present form of reservation, even though impacts general category candidates adversely,community suffering worst from this is SC/ST themselves.This has ensured that one tribe(Mee**) and one caste(Ja****) hijacking all the fruits of reservation.And they are the vociferous minority while voiceless majority of SC/ST continues to be oppressed.Thus,there will never ever be any creamy layer for SC/ST,except for Supreme Court,ensuring this communities prosper and become "neoBrahmin".hehe

Can an Tribal person from Jungles of Chattisgarh/Andaman ever hope to compete against son of IAS/IPS who is just as elite as general IAS/IPS.
  • One can debate all he wants but deep down in his heart everyone knows that absence of creamy layer in SC/ST is the single biggest reason that fruits of reservation have not percolated/trickled down to those who are really needy

Present form of reservation, even though impacts general category candidates adversely,community suffering worst from this is SC/ST themselves.This has ensured that one tribe(Mee**) and one caste(Ja****) hijacking all the fruits of reservation.And they are the vociferous minority while voiceless majority of SC/ST continues to be oppressed.Thus,there will never ever be any creamy layer for SC/ST,except for Supreme Court,ensuring this communities prosper and become "neoBrahmin".hehe

Can an Tribal person from Jungles of Chattisgarh/Andaman ever hope to compete against son of IAS/IPS who is just as elite as general IAS/IPS.

copy paste hehe
    are you bitsian
    sayonara

Then call the 'Application' of the idea wrong and not the idea itself.
    Calling foul in reservation means acceptance of the fact that india is not a casteist society, that we can no longer gauge the social or educational progess of a particular caste by knowing the name of the caste.

No one here is supporting castes who benefit the larger chunk of the reserved seats or candidates whose parents took the benefit etc
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog