We are hiring!
Visit http://go.forumias.com/changetheworld to apply now!

Job at Google/Microsoft/Amazon or IAS

edited July 2015 in Miscellaneous
Hi All,
One of my friend is going to get a job of Software Engineering at Google (with offers from Amazon/Microsoft as well) with pkg of about 12-14 lpa in hand. He needs opinion on whether to leave this job and continue to prepare for IAS.
Seniors and Selected Candidates kindly provide with your expert opinions? What is better , IAS or Software Engineering at Google?

Thanks!

Comments

• If IAS is a job to him, then definitely 1st option. :-P

More importantly, dig up old threads and you'll find diverse opinions that will help you and your friend.
    Enjoy the hard work.
  • @Street_Fighter, @DrKingSchultz ..I know :)
    Please be specific IAS or SE (with everythng else aside :) )
  • No comparison at all.
    कह दो इन हसरतों से कहीं और जा बसें, इतनी जगह कहाँ है दिल-ए-दाग़दार में
    उम्र-ए-दराज़ माँग कर लाये थे चार दिन, दो पढ़ने में कट गये दो रिजल्ट के इन्तज़ार में
  • prepare for CSE while working at Google
  • Prepare for it while in service. He himself will realise what he wants. If he gains confidence and interest he will leave himself. Never make such career decision based on other's opinions. Let him follow his path himself.

50% people leave the preparation before ever giving any serious attempt. Let him study some basic book while in job.

Whenever some of my friend who is in job shows some interest and enthusiasm, I advice him/her to buy Polity's Laxmikanth. They start studying it, 50% never call back.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • Let him join google... it will be an added benefit whn he comes to services later n also he wl gt good exposure of both sides n atleast hv sm fun b4 cmn to cse...
    His skill set wl improve n later if he decides yo come to services he cn contribute more meaningfully. .
    In order to survive,we cling to all we know & understand.And we label it reality.
    But knowledge & understanding are ambiguous.That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions.
    Isn't that another way of looking at it???
  • A person having calibre to get a job in google/MS/Amazon, can get a job the day he/she wants one.
    If he has any inclination to become an IAS/IAS Aspirant and if his economic conditions are fine, my suggestions will be to leave the job and whole heatedly prepare for this exam.
  • edited July 2015
    To be, or not to be, that is the question...
  • A sane, rational man would not leave a 12 lpa job for such an uncertainty as CSE.
    Tell him to join Google.

Well, I did leave my 12 lpa job at MS for uncertainty of CSE . It depends on what are your priorities. . If money and stable career path then go for google... If you have urge to work and make visible changes in common man life.. then Welcome to hell :P
    The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why –Mark Twain
  • Get the job, and prepare with the job. This is once in a life time opportunity and might not be available once you are not a fresh graduate. If he does not like the work/company etc. , he is always free to quit.

If he is a fresh graduate he must be around 22, he has got plenty of years ahead. Moreover, I assume someone who has got into google has definitely got the smarts to make it to CSE while preparing with job.

PS - Amazon should be the last choice, I have heard their work environment and employee treatment is very poor.
    All generalizations are false including this one
    Fascinating Universe -
  • completely a personal affair.

[1] go for MNC job if you are at higher side of your age i.e. near to 30 or you have family responsibilities to bear and like to go for marriage in recent times.

[2] go for IAS if you are not at higher side of your age i.e. near to 25 or you don't have any family responsibilities.

word of caution for option 2 : going for IAS is a tough call as competition level is very high here, you can easily flunked in your first two attempts and you will never know when your two years passed away.
    SO go for IAS only when [1] you have a decent educational background preferably in English medium [2] you have lots of money in your pocket [3] last but not the least you should have passion to do hard work.

ATB
  • edited July 2015
    one who is confused between a corporate job and a job (service) for nation is definitely thinking abt the pros and cons for himself.....such a person should not work as a civil aspirant...for when he or she becomes an IAS officer he'll be always thinking about whats best for him....not country..

So..@thread maker....chose a corporate job. will b good for u n country more importantly

@totallyRed go for google..etc
  • one who is confused between a corporate job and a job (service) for nation is definitely thinking abt the pros and cons for himself.....such a person should not work as a civil aspirant...for when he or she becomes an IAS officer he'll be always thinking about whats best for him....not country..

So..@thread maker....chose a corporate job. will b good for u n country more importantly

u nailed it, but i didnt like that u start a new discussion abt a tennis match! that not professional! no offence
  • one who is confused between a corporate job and a job (service) for nation is definitely thinking abt the pros and cons for himself.....such a person should not work as a civil aspirant...for when he or she becomes an IAS officer he'll be always thinking about whats best for him....not country..

u nailed it, but i didnt like that u start a new discussion abt a tennis match! that not professional! no offence
    i do things that i like...not for others... no offence agn.. :) its an inspirational match...one gets inspired by such live events..thats what i think

judgemental X( [-X =;
    In order to survive,we cling to all we know & understand.And we label it reality.
    But knowledge & understanding are ambiguous.That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions.
    Isn't that another way of looking at it???
  • my bro has just quit his job(P&G) 15 days back for upsc, 24 lakh/anum. he is just 22 now..
    AIR 45, 2014 has worked for microsoft earlier..
  • get experience of working for2-3 years and preapre simultaneously...if not able to cope than leave the job and prepare full time....its not good to leave the job without any experience as UPSC has a big uncertainity factor attached with it,,,no doubt people from google ,microsoft have cleared CSE but i have also seen someone from IIT K+IIM A not clearing mains from 3 attempts...ORN and mukherjee nagar has many students from IITs who are now teaching in coaching centres after 2-3 failed attempts...a fresher without any work experience loses much of his/her value after 2-3 years even if he is from a top IIT or a good college...
  • @itachi, @abhinitb and others thanks a lot for giving an unbiased and knowledgeable opinions!

But I again have one question to others is it just me or seriously people have extremely low comprehension skills? For example some Dr saying 'preparing is not a career' and even getting 23 likes, I just wanna know from where did you read/confer that I am saying preparing is a career? have I written so? no I i did not. Next, asaf_**** where the hell did you read or confer that I am equating corporate job with IAS? If I know that they are equal, why the hell would I ask? BTW do you mean a software engineer is not doing service to the nation, you might not be more wrong. So my advice to you, start preparing for comprehension skills better for CSAT.
  • @totallyRed
    work for one year at Google /ms/amazon
    adv: confidence levels will be high, pressure levels will be low and most importantly this corporare experience will be extremely useful in future uncertainties.
    meanwhile read ncerts some standard books which doesn't require coaching or guidance... they need to be read in full anytime.

then do leave job, irrespective of some idealistic suggestions and miracle stories flying around in mrunal or times of india and other local newspapers...
    go to Delhi, join some coaching, again irrespective of some heroic banter and fashionable statements by few...
    advantage of coaching-not that we learn something new but things related to these humanities will get streamlined and most importantly the boundaries for the exam will be apparent, etc other benefits that vary with individual.

spend two years two attempts, if didn't clear then go back to job with earlier experience and continue prep with job.
    why - if you don't go to delhi, clarity will be lacking regarding competition, limits etc.
    if you spend more time with exclusive prep then productivity will be decreasing.

so do job, leave job, if cleared then service else comeback to job and try.
    ps:views are personal, take it or leave it.
  • Even I quit my job paying me similar amount of money. But it took me 2 years to realize that it's not money that will motivate or challenge me. Tabhi se zindagi mein adventure shuru ho gaya.
    Optional-Pub Ad
  • @itachi, @abhinitb and others thanks a lot for giving an unbiased and knowledgeable opinions!

But I again have one question to others is it just me or seriously people have extremely low comprehension skills? For example some Dr saying 'preparing is not a career' and even getting 23 likes, I just wanna know from where did you read/confer that I am saying preparing is a career? have I written so? no I i did not. Next, asaf_**** where the hell did you read or confer that I am equating corporate job with IAS? If I know that they are equal, why the hell would I ask? BTW do you mean a software engineer is not doing service to the nation, you might not be more wrong. So my advice to you, start preparing for comprehension skills better for CSAT.
    when did i say u r equating one with other...?? ek to chutiap wala question poochte ho....oopar se behas karte ho... aise sawal karoge ias bankar to KAAT li jaegi....
  • Asaf showing your true you... Kudos
  • edited July 2015
    @totallyRed
    if I happened to understand the question wrong and if it is about the choice between ias and a giant corporate like Google... then my suggestion would be to prepare for civils but stick to these futuristic approach corporates.
    civils were hot cakes before IT revolution... it may happen so that the satisfaction working for Google glass, self driven car or some futuristic projects might give you more satisfaction than the frustration you derive working under corrupt polity and lethargic bureaucracy.

satya nadella and raguram rajan father's were past generation bureaucrats.
    these became world famous and rewarded appropriately for their efficiency while our red tape and lethargic bureaucracy is seen allergic and complained by many foreign investors...
    when imf chief came to india... she said indian economy is in safe hands beacuse of rajan but didnt give any due credit to our finance Secretary who might had become an ias at 21 and reached his retirement by now...
    ps:views are not articulated well... hope you got the gist. ..
  • @dr... Oh okay... sorry and thx a lot for the advice
  • @ysoserious : very well put !
    कह दो इन हसरतों से कहीं और जा बसें, इतनी जगह कहाँ है दिल-ए-दाग़दार में
    उम्र-ए-दराज़ माँग कर लाये थे चार दिन, दो पढ़ने में कट गये दो रिजल्ट के इन्तज़ार में
  • @ysoserious really a good advice... providing thoughtful and sincere views... Thx
  • @totallyRed
    if I happened to understand the question wrong and if it is about the choice between ias and a giant corporate like Google... then my suggestion would be to prepare for civils but stick to these futuristic approach corporates.
    civils were hot cakes before IT revolution... it may happen so that the satisfaction working for Google glass, self driven car or some futuristic projects might give you more satisfaction than the frustration you derive working under corrupt polity and lethargic bureaucracy.

satya nadella and raguram rajan father's were past generation bureaucrats.
    these became world famous and rewarded appropriately for their efficiency while our red tape and lethargic bureaucracy is seen allergic and complained by many foreign investors...
    when imf chief came to india... she said indian economy is in safe hands beacuse of rajan but didnt give any due credit to our finance Secretary who might had become an ias at 21 and reached his retirement by now...
    ps:views are not articulated well... hope you got the gist. ..
    Abey kya bakwas pel rahe ho.yahan log attempt aur age badhaye jaane ki maang kar rahe hain.har saal pre Dene waale candidates badhte jaa rahe hain aur tum kah raho ho ki IT revolution se pehle civils garam cake the.google ho ya Infosys IT ki naukri kutton waali hoti hai.office ke bahar nikalte hi gali ka kutta bhi unko nhi jaanta. IAS ka nasha alaga hai babu.Aur jahan tak rajan ki baat hai wo to hai hi aankhon ka taara IMF aur wb jaise dallon ka.

:))
  • I have been facing this dilemma since an year now. I am not an employee at Amazon or Google, but yes, I have my share of good things, things that prompted me to move to bangalore.

in my biker fraternity, I am quite a good biker.

I have an awesoem family, have very good friends.

moreover, what else can you ask from life?

it was once we were having drinks and we realized, having parties at all the nightclubs in bangalore, racing superbike , this will not be enough in the long run.

no one knows us, except our family and friend and it really made me to think.

"if I will not go for IAS, i will forever be caught in the loop of, " kaash, ye kr liya hota".

thats it, that is what made me leave it.

I dont know if I will be selected or not, but I do know, I will not leave a stone un turned.

have seen my share of failures in life, so here I am, taking a new road, again.
    Dreams come true, without that possibility, nature would not incite us to have them.
  • problem with people is that they want to become IAS ...n then ask egregiously stupid questions...what is better...which at this age appears puerile...i used to answer such qs in my childhood when people asked " beta bade hoke kya banoge?"

the main query should be...what do u want to do in life n not wot u want to become in life. ppl who see becomin IAS as an end in itself do little good to the country....becoming IAS as a means to achieve a broader goal in public service should be the prime if not the only motive.....

The other day some maharashtrian topper said she does not want to stop at becoming ias but wants to become RBI governor which is her ultimate goal...if such is the thinking of an IAS she'll only be busy woring towards her so called elusive goal which is without a purpose...i seriously pity people who hv such immature and non sensical irrational thoughts.

am i wrong?
  • As someone who left a job i would recommend DONT. Its crazzzzy. You are competing with people who are studying this for 4-5 years. And more importantly you are competing with UPSC's opaqueness and non-transparency. No one knows what works. Its better to study side by side. After a year you would know if you want to do this full time

P.S: When you ask a question on a public forum, please be open minded enough to accept all replies. Don't blow a fuse. The person who wrote "preparing is not a career" has a very very valid point. You are essentially trading your career for the HOPE that you might become an IAS. Thats risky
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google