Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

Make ForumIAS great again!

Technical glitch -

1. Tag notifications aren't working.

Conflict avoidance -

2. Alongside flag button, please provide a mute button as well. Pressing mute button against user X by user Y shall make user X's posts invisible to user Y only, without letting user X or anybody(barring user Y, ofcourse) know about who muted whom and when. Thus, avoiding conflict. And will ease the workload of moderators. There will be option to unmute as well. Moderators will neither be allowed to mute, nor get muted.

(I know a website that has this feature, and it helps in conflict avoidance to a great deal. Can share the website in private messaging, if you'd like to.)

User preferences -

3. Similarly, please provide a hide button alongside every thread but announcement threads. Pressing the hide button will make the thread invisible to the user who pressed the button, and will make space for subsequent thread, supposedly preferred by that user. A mathematics optional guy can simply hide the medical science question paper discussion thread, and vice versa, and so on. There will be option to undo the hide button. And again, moderators won't be provided with this button, for obvious reasons.

(This was a query that the user called Wakaao had too.)

4. A block button in private messaging.

P.S. - I love ForumIAS. :)

And kindly avoid comments, if any, that do not sound to be in good taste.

Further recommendations/editing to my points welcomed.

And moderator, feel free to close the thread if deemed unnecessary.

Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
·

Comments

• Awesome! Totally support this.
    opinions are persotroll
    ·
  • 1ManArmy said:

Technical glitch -

Conflict avoidance -

2. Alongside flag button, please provide a mute button as well. Pressing mute button against user X by user Y shall make user X's posts invisible to user Y only, without letting user X or anybody(barring user Y, ofcourse) know about who muted whom and when. Thus, avoiding conflict. And will ease the workload of moderators. There will be option to unmute as well. Moderators will neither be allowed to mute, nor get muted.

(I know a website that has this feature, and it helps in conflict avoidance to a great deal. Can share the website in private messaging, if you'd like to.)

User preferences -

3. Similarly, please provide a hide button alongside every thread but announcement threads. Pressing the hide button will make the thread invisible to the user who pressed the button, and will make space for subsequent thread, supposedly preferred by that user. A mathematics optional guy can simply hide the medical science question paper discussion thread, and vice versa, and so on. There will be option to undo the hide button. And again, moderators won't be provided with this button, for obvious reasons.

Close the thread if the thread is deemed unnecessary, not the closing per se.

·
  • bhutan said:

Awesome! Totally support this.

Thanks!

·
  • Nice suggestions :smile:
    all i need is You Lord
    ·
  • If you're banning someone try to ban the IP ADDRESS, so that they can't join by creating another account. It keeps a check on trolls.

Please do something about the shitposting/trolling that goes on in every thread. Unnecessary.
    ·
  • doc said:

Nice suggestions :smile:

Thanks! :)

·
  • edited July 10

If you're banning someone try to ban the IP ADDRESS, so that they can't join by creating another account. It keeps a check on trolls.

Please do something about the shitposting/trolling that goes on in every thread. Unnecessary.

They can.

And the technology that enables it, was a question in UPSC CSE prelims 2011.

Best bet is having a personal mute button alongside the flag button on every profile. You sense trolling or someone circumventing a ban, you press the mute button and you can't see the person any more.

·
  • Prelims: 4*. Mains: 1. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
    ·
  • Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal.
    ·
  • 1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

1) Mobile number verification to avoid duplicate profiles?

2) dismiss option for threads can be there, but once you have removed a thread from your view, you will never be able to see it again.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

2) dismiss option for threads can be there, but once you have removed a thread from your view, you will never be able to see it again.
    Option 1 is good but not option 2
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

Both options need immediate implementation in my view.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

In favour of option 1, privacy of mobile num needs to be guaranteed though
    if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
    ·
  • We also need a button where if somebody has replied to us on a thread or has said something that we like, we can give it a thumbs up to acknowledge it.
    100-105.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

Yes :)
    all i need is You Lord
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

M good with first. With second I want it tweaked a little bit. We could have a functionality like we could choose the important threads based on their relevance to us, and hide the remaining threads. On demand, we could further see the hidden threads and add to our selected list. AJAX implementation I feel.
    Ye waqt b guzar jayega. Keep patience.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

Yes

·
  • Many members, who have contributed to the forum in some positive way have multiple profiles for reasons associated with anonymity and stalking.

The problem is not with multiple profiles, the problem is with flaming/spamming/disturbing the peace by multiple troll profiles.

I am of the opinion that mobile number verification will not be suitable to address this issue, Let me put forward my arguments,

1. Mobile number is just another digital id like IP address. I am very much aware that forum does not have time and resources to pursue legal enforcement every time a troll does something bad. It dint happen in the past with IP Address and it wont happen now with mobile numbers.

2. There are websites which can provide fake mobile numbers to receive OTP for verification. Trolls will use this and create multiple profiles.

3. Those who have got Sim cards using fake particulars will continue to misuse the system. Forum cant do much except warning them.

The best way to foster peace on forum is by strict moderation.
    Currently moderators are unpaid(Still doing a wonderful job), but there's a limit to what they can do in free service.

Instead of paying for OTP, Paid moderation can do wonders to this forum.
    Moderators can be held accountable when they take payment and they will do the job much seriously.

Also, there is a dire need of reviewing and updating the rules. Key to efficient moderation lies in well laid moderation policy and legal framework.

Hoping that this will not be ignored, like in the past.
    Saw the passion in my vulnerabilities? Now see the strength in my resolution.
    ·
  • Many members, who have contributed to the forum in some positive way have multiple profiles for reasons associated with anonymity and stalking.

The problem is not with multiple profiles, the problem is with flaming/spamming/disturbing the peace by multiple troll profiles.

I am of the opinion that mobile number verification will not be suitable to address this issue, Let me put forward my arguments,

1. Mobile number is just another digital id like IP address. I am very much aware that forum does not have time and resources to pursue legal enforcement every time a troll does something bad. It dint happen in the past with IP Address and it wont happen now with mobile numbers.

2. There are websites which can provide fake mobile numbers to receive OTP for verification. Trolls will use this and create multiple profiles.

3. Those who have got Sim cards using fake particulars will continue to misuse the system. Forum cant do much except warning them.

The best way to foster peace on forum is by strict moderation.
    Currently moderators are unpaid(Still doing a wonderful job), but there's a limit to what they can do in free service.

Instead of paying for OTP, Paid moderation can do wonders to this forum.
    Moderators can be held accountable when they take payment and they will do the job much seriously.

Also, there is a dire need of reviewing and updating the rules. Key to efficient moderation lies in well laid moderation policy and legal framework.

Hoping that this will not be ignored, like in the past.

Make moderator shifts ....like 2 hrs online to check non senses.....

From my experience, Mobile data's if verified, they may be sold to some coaching mafia or might be leaked for misuse....

Even if coaching wala gets that number, that is NOT a big deal.....but they torture every moment ( like BYJU at Delhi.....if one ask them to stop calling or sending messages, they say it is not in their hand....they sent to their headquarters in Bangalore and......big stories......)....personally, I threatened them to file FIR then only they stopped calling.....

Moderators can be increased....some might be free lancer too.....who just admin,without taking any fees........

·
  • Ban night birds..thry are the real menace. They shit on every thread. Take action or soon forum will be history.
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

1ManArmy said:
    Are people in favour of

Take immediate steps sir. There has been a mass exodus of female profiles recently.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
    ·
  • edited July 11
    No problem with mobile verification. But please do something about duplicate profiles and try targeted banning of IP addresses. Except extreme lack of life trolls, no one has time to circumvent the security using proxy just so that he/she can come and troll here. Duplicate profiles are getting tedious and most renowned forums on internet doesnt allow such activities. It keeps the atmosphere clean. And not to mention whoever spams with messages like cut off and stuff needs a straightforward ban. It's getting difficult to filter through all that shit that's being posted to get the actual info.

I'm not sure if you are aware or not Vbulletine and other processes offer pretty good add-on settings to handle duplicate/troll traffic. Have a look. :)
    ·
  • 1ManArmy said:

Technical glitch -

Conflict avoidance -

User preferences -

+1 for point 4.
    Learn, Unlearn, and Relearn.
    ·
  • Not more than 2-3 people have ruined the forum. They have created multiple profiles for trolling and some of these profiles are even 2-3 yrs old. Trolling was always there, but this yr it has risen to epic proportions. Some of these also seem to promote various fringe coaching classes. Now its becoming quite depressing to visit the threads. No wonder as @Burger said, genuine people are leaving.
    ·
  • Not more than 2-3 people have ruined the forum. They have created multiple profiles for trolling and some of these profiles are even 2-3 yrs old. Trolling was always there, but this yr it has risen to epic proportions. Some of these also seem to promote various fringe coaching classes. Now its becoming quite depressing to visit the threads. No wonder as @Burger said, genuine people are leaving.

3/4 logo ne farji. Wada kiya hua h.....they make forumias look like a platform for some Non sense rather than civil services blog....from night 11 to morning 6 ,it looks like a height of vulgarity.. Abusings....

Many times when I get up at 4 , I see 600/700 new chats ..not even 1 of any use.....Forum should have been serious well before such things even start....they are going since day next to prelims.....and rarely any Moderator could act on such.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog