Threats to public servants

edited March 2013 in Miscellaneous
A DSP was killed in Pratapgarh today, Narendar Singh IPS trainee was killed in MP a year back, Yashwant Sonawane ADM in Maharashtra was killed by ilegal kerosene outlet owner 2 years back, this year Karnataka Administrative Service officer was beaten to death. These are the officers which are directly incharge of law and order. we wont have count if we include othere officers e.g. shanguman manjunath, satyaprakash dubey.
There is a difference between such killings and killing-in-action/sort of professional hazard e.g. martyrdom of Hemant Karkare, Ashok Amte.
Many issues arise out of it
1) malgovernance
2)lawlessness
and many more issues which i am not able to put here. After all, bright youngsters of country dont deserve such a fate. Plz share your views whatever you feel like.
and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"

Comments

• It is very shameful for the government for not taking severe action against such incidence. It seems all these threats are indirectly govern by them. Political leaders are nothing without bureaucrats, still they treat them as their servant.

I strongly oppose these heinous & unlawful activities against our highly qualified & deserving officers. We must initiate strong resistance against corrupt & criminal background leaders who are definitely behind this malgovernance.
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." - Thomas Edison
  • Blood boiling incidents - one after another.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...
  • you cant stop doing the right things for the fear of getting harmed....its counter productive to your very purpose of becoming a civil servant....and we are living in a risk society and imo a common man has as much chance of getting harmed as a civil servant,infact more than a civil servant....
  • Don't have any expectations from political class, when the citizens don't keep their criminal record in mind while electing them as representatives. :/
  • "the system is always neutral...its the society which is corrupt"
  • I am not sure how many of us would remember the lynching of Mr. G. Krishnaiah (IAS) DM, Gopalganj back in 1994. That must have been the only incident in when an IAS officer was mobbed to death. The reasons are so clear that they need not even be mentioned - Lawlessness, political high-handedness, scant respect for law among a lot else.

I was a kid back then in 1994, but I still recall this, he was a good friend of my Dad. Finally after 18 years, there was *some* sense of closure in the case. I still wonder if this was a classic case of Justice delayed and still justice denied! These are just my personal opinion.
  • these type of news really scare me. it makes me to reconsider my decision of becoming a civil servant. i mean after all these years of hard work, mental preparation, endless hours of studies, millions of sacrifices not only yours but your parents and other well wishers all these for only to reach your goal. the goal to serve the nation, its people, do welfare for the society. keeping all these in mind we study hard...really hard and one day we become an IAS/ IPS officer. after extensive training we come to field (cadre) and realize the reality is bit different from what we have imagined. here we see nobody really cares about the country, nobody want the welfare of poor people. corrupt politicians and pressure from mafia and goonda raj. everyone play with law and order like it is toy. no respect for fellow human being let alone the constitution but still with faith in our decision and keeping those morals in mind we continue to serve and what we get for all this patriotic honest work , one day out of nowhere a bullet comes and perforate your heart and left nothing. politicians will blame each other and do nothing, victim will never get justice because of our inefficient judicial process and lack of evidence and the same process continues, one after another honest officer gets killed. so why we still dream to become civil servants, why after knowing about all these dangers we still persistent for our dream. well maybe the answer is we all still believe that things can be changed. here i want to quote a movie "secondhand lions":

"Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love... true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn't matter if it's true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in. "

and also a good one from our beloved einstein baba.

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

• @fallen_leaves: i remember it and somewhere i read that her daughter,vindicating @Dark_Knight 's quotes, also want to be an IAS officer!

and Drona asked,"what do you see?","the sparrow's eye!"......and Krishna replied,"Turning their discerning mind to That, directing their whole conscious being to That, making That their whole aim and the sole object of their devotion, they go whence there is no return"
  • edited March 2013
    this is a dialogue from hindi movie

Chakravyuh mein ghusne se pehle
    Before entering the circle of deceit,

kaun tha main aur kaisa tha,
    who I was, and what I was,

yeh mujhe yaad hi na rahega.
    I would not remember.

Chakravyuh mein ghusne ke baad,
    After entering the circle of deceit,

mere aur chakravyuh ke beech,
    (there was) between me and the circle,

sirf ek jaanleva nikat’ta thi,
    only a deathly intimacy

iska mujhe pata hi na chalega.
    that I never realised.

Chakravyuh se nikalne ke baad,
    After leaving the circle of deceit,

main mukt ho jaoon bhale hi,
    even if I am set free,

phir bhi chakravyuh ki rachna mein
    the design of the circle of deceit,

farq hi na padega.
    will hardly be different.

Marun ya maarun,
    Whether I kill, or die,

maara jaoon ya jaan se maardun.
    Am killed, or kill (the other)

iska faisla kabhi na ho paayega.
    these questions will never be decided.

Soya hua aadmi jab
    When a sleeping man

neend se uthkar chalna shuru karta hai,
    awakes and steps forth,

tab sapnon ka sansar use,
    then the world of dreams

dobara dikh hi na paayega.
    may never be seen again (by him).

Us roshni mein jo nirnay ki roshni hai
    In that, the light of Decision,

sab kuchh s’maan hoga kya?
    will everything be level ?

Ek palde mein napunsakta,
    On one tray (of a balance) is Impotence,

ek palde mein paurush,
    and on the other is Manhood,

aur theek taraazu ke kaante par
    and exactly at the needle point,

ardh satya.
    a half-truth.
  • @fallen_leaves: i remember it and somewhere i read that her daughter,vindicating @Dark_Knight 's quotes, also want to be an IAS officer!

Yes. That is correct!!
  • the only thing that scare me is something happening to my family...
    the difference between a soldier on war-front and a soldier inside the city walls is that latter's family is more at risk than former...
    "ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants"
  • edited March 2013
    whenever such an incident happens my hate gets magnified many a times against those officers who game the system for their own benefit. they are equally complicit in bringing the system to this level

• @Ak_Cs What I am going to say is a little off this thread, but, I don't want to start a debate in the pattern-change thread. It causes inconvenience to people.

You remember we were discussing about the reasons/ideologies behind an individuals desire to get into civil services? My father is a civil servant, and, I was just talking to him about all this a few days back. He always talks about the ideological-deficit that has crept in into the services. Yes, aberration are always there, but these days it seems that the aberration have become more dominant.

Why am I saying this? He was talking about a few officers from 2009-2010 batches, and how there is a sea of contrast between various individuals. One of these newly posted (just completed training) IAS officer was more concerned that he wants a air-conditioned Safari/Scorpio and not a Gypsy that he is entitled to, the bunglow that he has been allocated is not worth staying (his predecessors have been living there happily for years) and similar stuff. He wrote to the DM and he in-turn wrote to my father, as he is the controlling authority. He was really amused and surprised with this outlook. And this particular officer ,within one year of field posting, has already been charged with bungling of funds/corruption.

And when I hear all this, I remember the discussion on this forum and the lines someone said. You can have different ideologies/ reasons for becoming and officer. But once you become an IAS officer, always remember the power that is bestowed upon you, the power to bring about a positive change is the lives of people, people for whom you are mai-baap, even in this modern time.

I am sure UPSC is competent enough to decide over things, but I sure hope that they are able to factor in this ideology-deficit!

PS - Apologies, this is irrelevant to the thread but I just thought posting! And this is my personal view :)
  • edited March 2013
    whenever such an incident happens my hate gets magnified many a times against those officers who game the system for their own benefit. they are equally complicit in bringing the system to this level

I completely agree with you on that, some who don't do what they should do in-turn mess-up the whole setup. Say w.r.t the earlier post of mine, one officer who doesn't do his work, leads to a general perception in the public, that all officers are the same.
  • @fallen_leaves i think they got life sentence for that... anand mohan and his wife
    "ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants"
  • Yes. Some were acquitted and mostly these two or maybe just Anand Mohan got life term. But it took 18 years to bring to justice to the family of an officer, who was doing his job! Thankfully, the times have changed and things are not so gloomy anymore! It is we who need to work for a stronger system and ensure accountability, and I believe, we would!
  • @fallen_leaves: this is perfectly relevant to the thread no comment can be more relevant than this

but, i disagree here
    "am sure UPSC is competent enough to decide over things, but I sure hope that they are able to factor in this ideology-deficit! "

i have great faith in UPSCs knowledge-checking abilities but i seriously doubt its ability/desire to check that ideology-deficit. i may be wrong/biased, but this has been my experience that after reading so much and clearing mains people become deadly conman. with all the hypocritical breeze of patriotism, social service blowing during interview season they camouflage so effectively that members either get conned or they dont care. i have seen many such people selected with awesome marks in interview. i believe, its not incorrigible but these 'enlightened conmen' who are equally adapt at paying lip-service to their ideals which are real threat for the system

• @fallen_leaves You have raised a very good point here. "Ideological - deficit"! =D>

At times I wonder, who is responsible for that? Are we to blame the system or are we to blame ourselves? :-?
  • @fallen_leaves: this is perfectly relevant to the thread no comment can be more relevant than this

but, i disagree here
    "am sure UPSC is competent enough to decide over things, but I sure hope that they are able to factor in this ideology-deficit! "

i have great faith in UPSCs knowledge-checking abilities but i seriously doubt its ability/desire to check that ideology-deficit. i may be wrong/biased, but this has been my experience that after reading so much and clearing mains people become deadly conman. with all the hypocritical breeze of patriotism, social service blowing during interview season they camouflage so effectively that members either get conned or they dont care. i have seen many such people selected with awesome marks in interview. i believe, its not incorrigible but these 'enlightened conmen' who are equally adapt at paying lip-service to their ideals which are real threat for the system

Yes. I would rather rephrase myself, *I wish and hope that* UPSC is competent enough to decide over things, but I sure hope that they are able to factor in this *ideology-deficit!* "
  • Yes there is an ideological deficit. But, civil services is not the only place where it's prevalent. People who have worked in the private sector would understand this. Man is becoming increasingly materialistic. Hence, blaming UPSC would not be the right thing.
    One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • edited March 2013
    @fallen_leaves You have raised a very good point here. "Ideological - deficit"! =D>

At times I wonder, who is responsible for that? Are we to blame the system or are we to blame ourselves? :-?
    I believe it is us, we can't keep blaming the system for everything. I would say, yes, people have different ideologies/reasons for coming into the civil services. But once you are into the service, the least you *should* do is what is expected out of you, as an officer. At the bare-minimum, if the individual sticks to *what he is expected* to do, things would be much better.

But the problem is, if only they do that! And "ideology-deficit", is something that I keep hearing a lot from my Dad. One of these days he was telling me, I don't really care what UPSC does, but they sure need to figure out between those who *genuinely* aspire to become an IAS and would suit the desired persona (and not on paper only) and those who completely lack the required mindset.

Just an opinion!
  • Yes there is an ideological deficit. But, civil services is not the only place where it's prevalent. People who have worked in the private sector would understand this. Man is becoming increasingly materialistic. Hence, blaming UPSC would not be the right thing.
    Agreed on that. UPSC can't be blamed for the ideology-deficit, but they do need to figure it out. As this deficit would end-up frustrating the whole system and society at large!

• I don't really care what UPSC does, but they sure need to figure out between those who *genuinely* aspire to become an IAS and would suit the desired persona (and not on paper only) and those who completely lack the required mindset.
    !
    Cannot agree more! :)

• Agreed on that. UPSC can't be blamed for the ideology-deficit, but they do need to figure it out. As this deficit would end-up frustrating the whole system and society at large!
    Any change has to be brought from within. And I know how difficult it is to do that. We cannot be a mere spectator & demand change. I am sure UPSC is doing its best. We cannot overhaul the system in one go. But the process has already begun.

One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • one more victim of the system IPS Vinod Mehta
    http://www.kolkatacops.com/kolkata-cop/lorem-ipsum-is-simply-dummy-2/
    when i read statements of the convicts i was on the verge of crying
    http://indiankanoon.org/doc/1526536/
    one of his killers, i believe(read long back), is still at large
    some rumours has it that his killing actually was pre-staged by ill-wishers in the system
  • Anyone who wants to look up for Late Mr. G Krishnaiah -> http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/dm-g-krishnaiah-murder-case-wife-seeks-death-for-killers-anand-mohan/1/207401.html
    thanks for sharing... definitely a case of justice delayed justice denied... sad incident.
    you are right but there i a great difference btw pvt sector and civil services. ICS, though hated by freedom fighters was held in great regard by the likes of Vallabhbhai Patel and Nehru for its integrity. values are part of the 'job-package' of civil services. (pvt sector also but not as primary). in civil services job security is enshrined in the const. so as to make it independent and let it tread on the values. ethica ought to be a great part of civil services selection process because posts he hold hit directly the last man. his,even a small, pilferage may not be visible and detectable but when he does it, it bleeds the last man of society.
  • Folks! There is another legendary officer that I know of, sadly, he passed away recently. He was an IRS (C & CE) - Daya Shankar. He was a college senior of dad and I remember him saying - " Agar customs officer banna hai toh Dayashankar aisa bano, ya mat bano " , much before others said it, post his demise!

I remember reading an article on him, in which Dawood Ibrahim was quoted saying - " Is desh ko, Dayashankar ya Rajeev Gandhi jaise log hi bacha saktein hain" His professional life is quoted as an ideal example for IRS officers and he was the brain behind several policies that Indian Government implemented. Smugglers used to change their timings depending on whether Late Mr. Daya Shankar was on duty or not. He is famously know for nabbing Anees Ibrahim (mostly, or one of the Dawood brothers) single-handed.

Why am I saying all this, I am saying this because of what I believe in. However bad the times may be, whatever may happen, there are people who stand for what is correct! They may be the lone-fighter, but they do stand for what they think correct. And I am sure, tomorrow, when we are on the other-side, we would live up to the likes of Late Mr. Vinod Mehta or Mr. G Krishnaiah or the legend - Mr. Daya Shankar than cribbing about an air-conditioned Safari :) :D

Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog