Indian Forest Service 2018 Results are out! ForumIAS Academy Students Secure Rank 1, 2, 3 ! Congratulations to all!
Current Affairs Classes for IAS Interview Students 2018 ForumIAS will be holding Current Affairs Classes for Interview Students on Saturday and Sunday at 5PM, Feb 9 & 10.

Herniated disc motivation

edited January 6 in Miscellaneous
Guys the orthopedic doctor i visited in gangaram said that many students in orn suffer from disc herniation..
I have been suffering from it since last 5 months but i neglected it, and yesterday i got numbness and severe sciatica pain in my leg..

Now i cant sleep, sit, walk, or do anything for that matter.
I Will be missing my classes, studies, everything...

It is seriously getting depressing as i feel like a sitting duck wasting my life. ( Since its my last attempt ).

Those who have suffered from this before, kindly tell me how long it will take for me to resume my normal life...

Is it curable at all?..
Doctors kindly help...
allez...allez...allezzz...allez...!!

Comments

• Not doctor
    But i know 3 people one being my father himself.All recovered within 2 months.
    Plzz contact physiotherapists instead or if money not a problem then hire one for somedays do the exercise daily keep moving :)
  • edited January 6

Not doctor
    But i know 3 people one being my father himself.All recovered within 2 months.
    Plzz contact physiotherapists instead or if money not a problem then hire one for somedays do the exercise daily keep moving :)

Thanks for the reply bro...i went to physio today...it gave me relief for only 1 hr after that...now again it's paining like hell on every movement...its frustrating..

• edited January 6

IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • edited January 6

Guys the orthopedic doctor i visited in gangaram said that many students in orn suffer from disc herniation..
    I have been suffering from it since last 5 months but i neglected it, and yesterday i got numbness and severe sciatica pain in my leg..

It is seriously getting depressing as i feel like a sitting duck wasting my life. ( Since its my last attempt ).

Those who have suffered from this before, kindly tell me how long it will take for me to resume my normal life...

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

hang in there bro ..i can totally relate to u ... with time and proper care , the symptoms will improve .. just make sure u avoid all strenuous activities which might increase the issue and maintain proper posture .try getting a comfortable chair with neck and lumbar support . if the pain is too much do some therapy and ask for hot pads which are good for short term pain relief .. ....after the pain is somewhat reduced u can go for isometric exercises .
    with improvements , ur sciatic nerve pain will vanish .. mine did ..although it sometimes comes back if i dont take care of it .u can also visit Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, vasant kunj which is one of the best for this issue
    Ps - i have been suffering from the same issue since 2016 january .sometimes its too frustrating to study with such an issue bcoz u cant study for long hours like u used to . just when i thought that i might clear this exam as i had given interview in 2016/2017 and be done with this back issue . i missed the final list by 10 marks and thought now my journey is over bcoz it kind of paralyses u .. i stood up to fight again but then again in 2017 mains my nerve pain in wrist and hand with which i had to write the exam increased to such a level that i somehow managed to finish the mains papers with so many painkillers . but end result i failed mains .. then i failed prelims this year ....so everyday is a struggle between mind and body and to push .. but remember everyone has got their share of problems in this preparation and u just gotta deal with urs and fight hard to somehow cure or improve it and ensure that u cope up with the requirements of the exams and its pressure ..as of today i have managed to improve my condition with regular strengthening exercises and diet .. i can go to the gym and also study for 1 hour stretch without issues good luck ..
  • Guys the orthopedic doctor i visited in gangaram said that many students in orn suffer from disc herniation..

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

hang in there bro ..i can totally relate to u ... with time and proper care , the symptoms will improve .. just make sure u avoid all strenuous activities which might increase the issue and maintain proper posture .try getting a comfortable chair with neck and lumbar support . if the pain is too much do some therapy and ask for hot pads which are good for short term pain relief .. ....after the pain is somewhat reduced u can go for isometric exercises .
    with improvements , ur sciatic nerve pain will vanish .. mine did ..although it sometimes comes back if i dont take care of it .u can also visit Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, vasant kunj which is one of the best for this issue
    Ps - i have been suffering from the same issue since 2016 january .sometimes its too frustrating to study with such an issue bcoz u cant study for long hours like u used to . just when i thought that i might clear this exam as i had given interview in 2016/2017 and be done with this back issue . i missed the final list by 10 marks and thought now my journey is over bcoz it kind of paralyses u .. i stood up to fight again but then again in 2017 mains my nerve pain in wrist and hand with which i had to write the exam increased to such a level that i somehow managed to finish the mains papers with so many painkillers . but end result i failed mains .. then i failed prelims this year ....so everyday is a struggle between mind and body and to push .. but remember everyone has got their share of problems in this preparation and u just gotta deal with urs and fight hard to somehow cure or improve it and ensure that u cope up with the requirements of the exams and its pressure ..as of today i have managed to improve my condition with regular strengthening exercises and diet .. i can go to the gym and also study for 1 hour stretch without issues good luck ..
    Those words were really motivating brother....am clueless about this disorder and that makes it worse..and in that case words from fellas gave me hope... now i have fair bit of idea about the time line.... i am thinking of studying through YouTube videos from today.... at least i won't be frustrated about wasting pura pura din...

And brother have you ever visited that spinal injury centre vasant kunj?

Can u recommend me a doc there...

• @Jurgen_klopp just relax brother, you will be fine in matter of few days. I had the same problem three years ago and am still living with it.

common reasons for such problems includes improper posture while studying like lying on the bed and studying, keeping your head angle low while looking at the book

For immediate relief you must look for physiotherapist. From my experience I can tell with certainty that pain will subside in just few day.

In the long run you have to take certain precautions so that it does not happen again
    1. avoid lifting heavy loads
    2. use table and chair for studying, you should not bend your head too much down i.e table should be sufficiently high
    3. ask the physiotherapist for exercises which will ensure blood circulations in the muscle and prevent further deterioration of the disc

BTW I too will be giving my last attempt this year...:)
  • @Jurgen_klopp just relax brother, you will be fine in matter of few days. I had the same problem three years ago and am still living with it.

common reasons for such problems includes improper posture while studying like lying on the bed and studying, keeping your head angle low while looking at the book

For immediate relief you must look for physiotherapist. From my experience I can tell with certainty that pain will subside in just few day.

In the long run you have to take certain precautions so that it does not happen again
    1. avoid lifting heavy loads
    2. use table and chair for studying, you should not bend your head too much down i.e table should be sufficiently high
    3. ask the physiotherapist for exercises which will ensure blood circulations in the muscle and prevent further deterioration of the disc

BTW I too will be giving my last attempt this year...:)

Ty brother... actually i working with one of these institute and there i use to sit for 9 hrs, while only taking pee breaks in between...

I think being negligent about its repercussions was a mistake on my part...

Now i realize, healthy comes before anything else in the world...

• Have suffered from this since 2015. Couldn’t sit in classes or study. The pain was unbearable. Although regular physio improves the pain.
    Writing mains for 6 hours everyday is my biggest nightmare. However I did all I could. Bought a very expensive chair with perfect back and neck support. Used neck/horseshoe pillows whenever I travelled. Exercise everyday and also lost a bit of weight. The pain is in control now.
    With 5-6 weeks of good physio you should be fine. After that it’s just a matter of regular exercise and diet. You’ll be fine for the rest of your life.
  • Guys the orthopedic doctor i visited in gangaram said that many students in orn suffer from disc herniation..

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

Me suffering for more than a decade , did everything and can tell what works the best.

No Medication helps ,it only provide temporary relief. So better not to put more stress on our liver and kidneys with it.

Best thing to do is,

Stretching ,the more frequently you do, the better.

Sleep on hard bed

Get good chair which provides proper lumbar support

Improve posture

Weight should be maintained

No lifting of heavy weights, if you have to do ,do with proper technique only

Sharing a link for exercise for sciatica ,which I do for 4-5 time a day. Without this its difficult to spend day in regular activities.

And remember,yours in initial stage please take proper care with exercise and stretching , if neglected it aggravates.

• All nonsense..

there is no herniated disc and piriformis or sciatica.. as they will say ur orthopedic, physiotherapist etc
  • If u are students who sit for long or other reasons..

JUST FOLLOW 1 ADVICE. U WILL FEEL AWESOME IN 7 DAYS.. BACK PAIN GONE FOREVER IF U CAN DO THIS..

so where lies the problem..

GLUTES : MEDIUS MINIMUS MAXIMUS

just google some exercise for strengthening glutes..

example : bridges, hip abduction adduction using clams etc..

i was victim once.. surgeon said u need L4-L5 surgeryy.. i was scared.. but then god showed me path..

similarly if u feel awesome.. u can contact here for knee pain etc as well..

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

bhai just work your glutes.. sitting for long time messes up glute.. and doctors physio sell it as sciatica , piriformis, herniated disc etc..

trust me. i was once in similar position
  • Have suffered from this since 2015. Couldn’t sit in classes or study. The pain was unbearable. Although regular physio improves the pain.
    Writing mains for 6 hours everyday is my biggest nightmare. However I did all I could. Bought a very expensive chair with perfect back and neck support. Used neck/horseshoe pillows whenever I travelled. Exercise everyday and also lost a bit of weight. The pain is in control now.
    With 5-6 weeks of good physio you should be fine. After that it’s just a matter of regular exercise and diet. You’ll be fine for the rest of your life.

Thank you brother...i have pm u...

• https://www.self.com/story/this-is-what-sitting-all-day-does-to-your-butt

https://www.livestrong.com/article/477721-glute-exercises-while-sitting-down/

please understand biomechanics.. when ur hips are weak.. ur back gets involved in proces..

work out on entire posterior chain.. ankle joint mobility, hamstring , quads, hip mobility, and foremost glute medius..

• me4IAS said:

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

Me suffering for more than a decade , did everything and can tell what works the best.

No Medication helps ,it only provide temporary relief. So better not to put more stress on our liver and kidneys with it.

Best thing to do is,

Sleep on hard bed

Improve posture

Sharing a link for exercise for sciatica ,which I do for 4-5 time a day. Without this its difficult to spend day in regular activities.

And remember,yours in initial stage please take proper care with exercise and stretching , if neglected it aggravates.

Thanks brother... folding and lifting the legs scares the shit out of now...but i will try doing it slowly...

• me4IAS said:

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

Best thing to do is,

Sleep on hard bed

Improve posture

Thanks brother... folding and lifting the legs scares the shit out of now...but i will try doing it slowly...
    bhai please read what i have posted.. u will instantly connect. what pain u are having.. i have no profit here just want to help people with this. as i was long a victim of this

please understand biomechanics.. when ur hips are weak.. ur back gets involved in proces..

work out on entire posterior chain.. ankle joint mobility, hamstring , quads, hip mobility, and foremost glute medius..

Brother i got an xray done and it read narrowing between l5 and s1...
    I know its not conclusive...maybe i will get an mri done if doc asks me too...

I will go through that link and try to do it....thanks for the reply bro... really appreciate that...

• Studying medicine is so useful than engineering...tbh

I will go through that link and try to do it....thanks for the reply bro... really appreciate that...
    fck x ray.. just work on glutes.. it all is happening because u are involving back in a process for which it is not meant..

trust me i know people who undeewent surgeries for this to end up taking steroid injection in back.. no f benefit whatsoever.. because problem lies elsewhere..

u can search on net as well how even after surgeries people are in same situation.. because the root of the problem is somewhere else and not in back..

just imagine using wrong object for wrong purpose..
  • _k__k_
    edited January 7
    i study while lying down on bed most of the time and rarely use chair, should I change my habit :neutral:

fck x ray.. just work on glutes.. it all is happening because u are involving back in a process for which it is not meant..

trust me i know people who undeewent surgeries for this to end up taking steroid injection in back.. no f benefit whatsoever.. because problem lies elsewhere..

u can search on net as well how even after surgeries people are in same situation.. because the root of the problem is somewhere else and not in back..

just imagine using wrong object for wrong purpose..
    Went through that article. It was helpful...i will strt doing that the moment my pain subsides...

• Studying medicine is so useful than engineering...tbh

i am an engineer.. tbh engineers are way more logical than medicine walas.. we can learn things quickly. i have done bpt level studies by myself and now almost pain free without using any instruments like tens ift ultrasounds etc..
  • edited January 7
    body is an integrated whole...

example.. knee joint pain arises because of ankle and hip joint stiffness.. loosen them and build some quad and hamstring .. knee pain will end.. knee are constrained by ankle and hip.. they dont have their own existence.. same goes for elbow joint dtrung between shoulder joint and forearm
  • me4IAS said:

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

Best thing to do is,

Sleep on hard bed

Improve posture

From the above exercise do ONLY which you are able to do comfortably, you can skip some of them.

Also walking in swimming pool having water till waist height will help immensely.
  • edited January 7

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

ONLY soln is yoga. (say aiyangar yoga)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._K._S._Iyengar
  • Hi, I have been suffering from disc herination since 2013. I have tried many things(injection, ayurveda, medicine ) but nothing worked for me. Only exercise help. They have not cured it but just somehow I manage to go on.
    Last June I went to a chiropractor. I went 5 times. In first 2 visit I benefited a lot my pain level reduced by 60-70% but after that nothing happened and pain climbed back. But still there was some overall relief of 30-40%.
    Do the exercises, and hang on a bar while keeping feet on ground for 30 seconds and try to do it 3-4 times. It decompress the spine.
    Chiropractor I visited was - Blessing Clinic in Defence Colony.
    I would suggest you to go there for 2 visits.(He charges a lot though - 2000 for one visit and you need to book appointment beforehand)
    You are in intial stage, please do whatever is needed. Once it sets in pain reduces but never back to normal. you lose hope of getting back to normal and you start adjusting to pain.
  • lastjedi said:

Hi, I have been suffering from disc herination since 2013. I have tried many things(injection, ayurveda, medicine ) but nothing worked for me. Only exercise help. They have not cured it but just somehow I manage to go on.
    Last June I went to a chiropractor. I went 5 times. In first 2 visit I benefited a lot my pain level reduced by 60-70% but after that nothing happened and pain climbed back. But still there was some overall relief of 30-40%.
    Do the exercises, and hang on a bar while keeping feet on ground for 30 seconds and try to do it 3-4 times. It decompress the spine.
    Chiropractor I visited was - Blessing Clinic in Defence Colony.
    I would suggest you to go there for 2 visits.(He charges a lot though - 2000 for one visit and you need to book appointment beforehand)
    You are in intial stage, please do whatever is needed. Once it sets in pain reduces but never back to normal. you lose hope of getting back to normal and you start adjusting to pain.

Thanks brother...i have already payed the price of neglecting for 5 months...

I think this should be a wake-up call for everyone who are in the habit of sitting for long hours...

Is it curable at all?..
    Doctors kindly help...

Same here Bro.. my 2017 Mains spoiled because of this painful pain. And that was my last attempt... The worst thing is whenever any exam comes, our sitting time increased then disc problem also started
  • I am using Lumbo sacral belt to maintain posture (it is self prescribed). Aur ek baat ki, agar pain start ho jaye to turant walking stop kar den jaha tak possible ho. Dusri baat ki Bed pe chahe ulte lete ho aur sidhe, kabhi study ya mobile ke liye waist se body upar na uthayen,
  • I m having cervical spondilysis problem since two years. It spoiled my 3 attempts. I have been to gangaram, blk, physiotherapy, chiropractor in last two years but not able to cure completely. Now my cousin also developed disk bulding in lumbar area during preparation and now doc told him to do completelt bed rest.

i m still continuing physiotherapy in ORN if any body wants to share anything ( about docs, physio centre, chiro or other cheap n best resource ) please share. During preparation these health issues drying us economically.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google