Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Click Here to Subscribe for the classes.
Classes to be held every Monday and Tuesday, 5 PM. 

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Discussion on ForumIAS GS Simulator Test 2 Questions

Not sure how many of you have appeared for this test yet. Those who have, let's discuss our doubts.

My queries:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
45. The Constitution guarantees the following privileges to the President of India:
a No criminal proceedings shall be instituted against the President in any court during his term of office
b No process for the arrest or impeachment of the President shall be issued from any court during his term of office
c The President shall not be answerable to any court for the exercise and performance of the powers and duties of his office or for any act done or purporting to be done by him in exercise of those powers and duties
d No civil proceedings whatsoever shall be instituted against the President in any court during the term of his office.

Ans (d)

Doubt: President has all these privileges. Infact civil proceedings are the ones that can be initiated against him after giving 2 months notice. So, may be the question should have "Constitution does NOT guarantee" or am I reading something wrong ?

58 ) Which of the following statements is incorrect?
a Newspapers can publish Parliamentary Proceedings
b Newspapers can publish any part of proceedings with the permission of the Speaker
c Newspapers has also the freedom to publish expunged portions of the speech of an MP
d Parliament has freedom to publish its proceedings.

Ans (c)

Doubt: Didn't we see all the newspapers reporting Smriti Irani's mahisasur-Durga speech (with some newspapers giving indecent headlines) on the front page ? They were expunged by the presiding officer. Still reported.

I feel it should be option (b) as 44th amendment allowed all newspaper to publish parliament proceeding without any permission needed unless it is a secret sitting.

85. Consider the following statements regarding The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI):
1. Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) was conceived by TERI .
2. TerraGreen is a weekly magazine of TERI on issues of environment, biodiversity, livelihood rights, wildlife, energy, and sustainable development.

Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
a 1 only
b 2 only
c Both 1 and 2
d None of the above

Ans ( c)

Doubt : TerraGreen is monthly magazine. Answer should be (a)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

92. Which of the following schemes fall under EEE Scheme of Taxation?

1) Provident Fund
2) Kisan Vikas Patra
3) Unit Linked Insurance Plans
4) Sukanya Samriddhi Account

a 1 and 4 only
b 1, 2 and 4 only
c 1 only
d 1, 2, 3 and 4

Ans (b)

Doubt : KVP is not EEE. Its interest is taxed upon maturity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To be, or not to be, that is the question...

Comments

• @DayDreamer: In the question regarding fundamental duties, I feel that the correct answer should be that they are mandates like dpsp.

Also in the question concerned with the anti defection law, I think we should consider the provisions of the amended act.

Btw how much were u able to score? I scored a meagre 87 :'(
  • @gloomydespair For fundamental duties question, I feel answer is correct. option b is that they are like DPSP mandates to "people" . DPSP are not mandates to people. If that option was to be correct, it should have been framed like "They are mandates to people just like DPSP are mandates to the state".

In anti-defection question what did you mark ?

As far as my marks are concerned, I am searching for chullu bhar paani. :'(
  • Some questions I have some doubts

Some handpumps in rural areas are painted red. This is done

a) To protect the handpumps from rusting in rainy season

b) To indicate arsenic contamination of the groundwater

c) To distinguish handpumps set up from MPLAD funds.

d) As red colour is visible from a longer distance.

In this questions, which is supposed to be from current affairs, i have not come across in any current affairs source, not even Hindu, How do I cover such questions?

--------

Consider the following statements:

1. Methane contributes more to global warming than Carbon Dioxide.

2. Methane has been included in the list of six Green House Gases in Kyoto Protocol.

3. Agriculture contributes significantly to methane emissions.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

a) 2 only

b) 2 and 3 only

c) 1, 2 and 3 only

d) 1 and 3 only

I have a doubt here,, how does agriculture contribute to global warming? Does nt agriculture lead to more plants that will use CO2 and reduce global warming? And methane is supposed to be trapping more heat than Co2?

--
    Prelims - 3 | Mains - 2 | Interview - 1
  • And this stupid question, choice is wrong

Match the following pairs

A) Protozoa 1) microscopic organisms that do not multiply within the human body

B) Ectoparasites 2) organisms that attach or burrow in the skin

C) Helminths 3) can be transmitted through oral-fecal route

Select the correct answers from the codes given below

a) A - 3, B - 1, C - 2

b) A - 1, B - 2, C - 3

c) A - 3, B - 2, C - 1

d) A - 2, B - 3, C - 1

Protozoa like malaria one is transmitted through blood..and yet option says a-3 ? how come?
  • Not sure how many of you have appeared for this test yet. Those who have, let's discuss our doubts.

My queries:

45. The Constitution guarantees the following privileges to the President of India:
    a No criminal proceedings shall be instituted against the President in any court during his term of office
    b No process for the arrest or impeachment of the President shall be issued from any court during his term of office
    c The President shall not be answerable to any court for the exercise and performance of the powers and duties of his office or for any act done or purporting to be done by him in exercise of those powers and duties
    d No civil proceedings whatsoever shall be instituted against the President in any court during the term of his office.

Ans (d)

Doubt: President has all these privileges. Infact civil proceedings are the ones that can be initiated against him after giving 2 months notice. So, may be the question should have "Constitution does NOT guarantee" or am I reading something wrong ?

58 ) Which of the following statements is incorrect?
    a Newspapers can publish Parliamentary Proceedings
    b Newspapers can publish any part of proceedings with the permission of the Speaker
    c Newspapers has also the freedom to publish expunged portions of the speech of an MP
    d Parliament has freedom to publish its proceedings.

Ans (c)

Doubt: Didn't we see all the newspapers reporting Smriti Irani's mahisasur-Durga speech (with some newspapers giving indecent headlines) on the front page ? They were expunged by the presiding officer. Still reported.

I feel it should be option (b) as 44th amendment allowed all newspaper to publish parliament proceeding without any permission needed unless it is a secret sitting.

85. Consider the following statements regarding The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI):
    1. Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment (GRIHA) was conceived by TERI .
    2. TerraGreen is a weekly magazine of TERI on issues of environment, biodiversity, livelihood rights, wildlife, energy, and sustainable development.

Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
    a 1 only
    b 2 only
    c Both 1 and 2
    d None of the above

Ans ( c)

Doubt : TerraGreen is monthly magazine. Answer should be (a)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

92. Which of the following schemes fall under EEE Scheme of Taxation?

1) Provident Fund
    2) Kisan Vikas Patra
    3) Unit Linked Insurance Plans
    4) Sukanya Samriddhi Account

a 1 and 4 only
    b 1, 2 and 4 only
    c 1 only
    d 1, 2, 3 and 4

Ans (b)

Doubt : KVP is not EEE. Its interest is taxed upon maturity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In that president's privileges question answer ought to be statement (C)
    Statement (b) is clearly wrong as IMPEACHMENT proceedings are allowed but not IMPRISONMENT, unless its a typo in the question
    Statement (d) is wrong because statement (b) is wrong
  • And regarding question 58(c) the newspapers MAY publish expunged portions but that does not mean they have the FREEDOM to do so. Because they could attract breach of privilege proceedings by doing so. This was dealt with in the Searchlight case wherein the editor had published expunged portions of a speech in Parliament to his detriment!
  • VivekJ2 said:

And this stupid question, choice is wrong

a) A - 3, B - 1, C - 2

b) A - 1, B - 2, C - 3

c) A - 3, B - 2, C - 1

d) A - 2, B - 3, C - 1

Protozoa like malaria one is transmitted through blood..and yet option says a-3 ? how come?

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/about.html
    I didnt get you, it says tey are transmitted through oral fecal route in the US govt article you pointed, but isnt the Malaria protozoa passed on by means other than oral fecal route?

• @daydreamer , EEE answer is 1 & 4 only, they have corrected it and score is also updated.
  • VivekJ2 said:

Some questions I have some doubts

Some handpumps in rural areas are painted red. This is done

a) To protect the handpumps from rusting in rainy season

b) To indicate arsenic contamination of the groundwater

c) To distinguish handpumps set up from MPLAD funds.

d) As red colour is visible from a longer distance.

In this questions, which is supposed to be from current affairs, i have not come across in any current affairs source, not even Hindu, How do I cover such questions?

--------

Consider the following statements:

1. Methane contributes more to global warming than Carbon Dioxide.

2. Methane has been included in the list of six Green House Gases in Kyoto Protocol.

3. Agriculture contributes significantly to methane emissions.

Which of the statements given above is/are correct?

a) 2 only

b) 2 and 3 only

c) 1, 2 and 3 only

d) 1 and 3 only

I have a doubt here,, how does agriculture contribute to global warming? Does nt agriculture lead to more plants that will use CO2 and reduce global warming? And methane is supposed to be trapping more heat than Co2?

--

If you watch loksabha tv or RSTV than red handpump question can be easily answered. Even during prime time on various channels, in between cricket matches, Govt was airing this advertisement.

And read about paddy crops and animal husbandry, wetlands etc they significantly contribute towards methane release. Regarding its green house potential, it traps heat many times greater than Co2...
    https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/gases/ch4.html

Okay, so the argument is that Methane is having more heat trapping power but since its concetration is low thats why its contribution is less.

But sir in the andpump questions, I dont watch TV, i dont stay at home, how do i cover such questions? I had marked D because red color is indeed seen from quite a distance. :disappointed:
  • Q.52 => The CAG of India DOES NOT have the power to CONTROL disbursements unlike the CAG of UK. So its an incorrectly framed question
  • edited April 2016
    @Captain_Peroxide I am getting a paltry 71.xx :'( Jitne kharab marks is saal aa rahe hain utne to last year aur main UPSC exam mein bhi nahi aaye the... :'(

jag_paw said:

And regarding question 58(c) the newspapers MAY publish expunged portions but that does not mean they have the FREEDOM to do so. Because they could attract breach of privilege proceedings by doing so. This was dealt with in the Searchlight case wherein the editor had published expunged portions of a speech in Parliament to his detriment!

Do we have a source which says so ? that expunged portion can/may not be published ?

We do have source (Lakshmikant) which says that 444th amendment removes the requirement of permission to publish proceedings unless it is a secret meeting. So, b seems more apt.
  • I got confused about some easy questions also -

The “Give it Up” campaign recently in news is associated with

a
    Curbing Domestic Violence by moral persuasion

b
    Prohibition of Consumption of alcoholic Drinks in certain States

c
    Surrendering Duplicate ration cards

d) LPG subsidy

I thought that in Bihar they have come up with prohibition, so they must have ran this campaign of volutary give up drinking.. and stupidly got this question wrong.

paper was a mind fuck :(

I found it really tough.
  • Q.51=> Doesn't the elections of the President follow a list system of proportional representation to give preferences?
  • @Captain_Peroxide @DayDreamer : In Q78 on differences between Nagara and Dravidian school, statement 2 which says that: ' The word shikhara in dravida is equivalent to word kalasha of nagara style'
    I feel that it is called shikhara in nagara school and vimana in dravida school.
  • @gloomydespair For fundamental duties question, I feel answer is correct. option b is that they are like DPSP mandates to "people" . DPSP are not mandates to people. If that option was to be correct, it should have been framed like "They are mandates to people just like DPSP are mandates to the state".

In anti-defection question what did you mark ?

As far as my marks are concerned, I am searching for chullu bhar paani. :'(

I marked B in this.
  • @Captain_Peroxide : got it. Thanks for correcting me :)

• I am a generally thinking person, so i just have "concerns". I am not 'anxious" or disturbed. I am just trying to figure out things.

Did you find this question unusual?

Fundamental duties enacted in Part IV A of the Constitution are:

a)Enforceable duties and Parliament can impose penalties or punishments for the non-compliance.

b) Like Directive Principles that are mandates to people.

c) Like fundamental Rights that are enforceable

d) No more than meant to create psychological consciousness among the citizens and of education value.

I mean i knew that all a, b and c are wrong but somehow could not mark d

:disappointed:
  • @Captain_Peroxide @DayDreamer : In Q78 on differences between Nagara and Dravidian school, statement 2 which says that: ' The word shikhara in dravida is equivalent to word kalasha of nagara style'
    I feel that it is called shikhara in nagara school and vimana in dravida school.

This statement is given verbatim in the temple architceture of NCERT Fine Arts book.
  • @ForumIAS is there a chance that I might have marked an answer and something else got recorded. I mean I can't mark presence of mountains as a condition for tropical cyclones even if I take the test while sleeping :D but the solution shows that I marked such an option :D :(

Anyways, I think I may have clicked at the wrong place by mistake.
  • @ForumIAS is there a chance that I might have marked an answer and something else got recorded. I mean I can't mark presence of mountains as a condition for tropical cyclones even if I take the test while sleeping :D but the solution shows that I marked such an option :D :(

Anyways, I think I may have clicked at the wrong place by mistake.

It happen sometimes. When you click an option and all of a sudden you use up/down arrow key, selected option moves to new option.. So after clicking an option, just click on to the white side once...
    Yes Captain, something like this must have happened. I am still laughing that mountains are a requirement for tropical cyclone :D
  • In the question regarding Happiness Index, I think option 3 i.e India ranks 156 is wrong
    http://www.thehindu.com/news/the-world-happiness-report-2016-india-ranked-118th/article8365329.ece
    Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
  • Q.13 => It is not ONLY a retired judge of SC or Chief Justice of HC who can become NGT's Chairperson, even serving judges CAN become according to the NGT act, 2010 Chapter II clause 5(1) and also the very same wikipedia link that you have given in your explanation.

Q.56 => The Inter State Council is NOT a constitutional body, Article 263 merely provides for the establishment of one through a PRESIDENTIAL ORDER. So it is not even a statutory body.
    If you need proof here check this out : http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/columns/cracks-in-our-federal-setup/article4273184.ece

Please do clarify the points I and others have raised so that people relying on your answers are not misinformed.
  • jag_paw said:

Q.13 => It is not ONLY a retired judge of SC or Chief Justice of HC who can become NGT's Chairperson, even serving judges CAN become according to the NGT act, 2010 Chapter II clause 5(1) and also the very same wikipedia link that you have given in your explanation.

Q.56 => The Inter State Council is NOT a constitutional body, Article 263 merely provides for the establishment of one through a PRESIDENTIAL ORDER. So it is not even a statutory body.
    If you need proof here check this out : http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/opinion/columns/cracks-in-our-federal-setup/article4273184.ece

Please do clarify the points I and others have raised so that people relying on your answers are not misinformed.

Sorry about the last one. Inter State Council IS a constitutional body, I misread the article and a few others.
  • jag_paw said:

jag_paw said:

Q.13 => It is not ONLY a retired judge of SC or Chief Justice of HC who can become NGT's Chairperson, even serving judges CAN become according to the NGT act, 2010 Chapter II clause 5(1) and also the very same wikipedia link that you have given in your explanation.

Sorry about the last one. Inter State Council IS a constitutional body, I misread the article and a few others.
    It is not a PERMANENT Constitutional body though, according to its own website.
    http://interstatecouncil.nic.in/formations.html
  • There was a question on Japanese Encephalitis (JE).

Was this disease in news recently which I missed ?

Or is it such a famous disease which I must be knowing.. If so then from where can I get a list of imp diseases from UPSC point of view ?

If none of the above, then why was this question asked ?
  • edited April 2016
    VivekJ2 said:

And this stupid question, choice is wrong

a) A - 3, B - 1, C - 2

b) A - 1, B - 2, C - 3

c) A - 3, B - 2, C - 1

d) A - 2, B - 3, C - 1

How come you all guys know what is helminths and how is protozoa transmitted.. ? Am I the only one dumb here :(

I mean people even know that there are 4 ways of protozoan transmission- direct, faecal-oral, vector-borne and predator-prey transmission !!!!
  • Toska said:

There was a question on Japanese Encephalitis (JE).

Was this disease in news recently which I missed ?

Or is it such a famous disease which I must be knowing.. If so then from where can I get a list of imp diseases from UPSC point of view ?

If none of the above, then why was this question asked ?

JE is in news for past 2-3 years. It is asked in every test series.

Important bimariyan / health / S & T toics for UPSC are

1. TB
    2. MDRB
    3. HPV
    4. HIV
    5. ZIKA
    6. EBOLA
    7. SWINE FULE
    8. CHIKUNGUNIYA
    9. HEPATITIS B
    10. Mental Fever
    11. Dengue
    12. JE
    13. 3 parent child
    14. Useful bacteria - probiotics
    15. Platic Breaking Bacteria
    16. Oil Zapper
    17. Vermicompost

blah blah..

others may add....
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly