ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

SAMSUMG TAB vs AMAZON KINDLE

edited November 2014 in Miscellaneous
i am preparing for upsc 2015

i am confused what i have to buy

1) Samsumg TAB
2) Amazon Kindle
3) NEXUS TAB
4) Filpkart TAB

plss friends help me...

Comments

• If your primary purpose is reading and reading only, then go for kindle. It beats the rest beyond doubt. Others have their own advantages if your primary purpose is not reading.
    I don't know where I am going but I am on my way.
  • @Holier__Reddy
    Does kindle provide web browsing too?
    Also, can i import epub and other book formats into my kindle?

Could you elaborate a bit on advantages of kindle vis-a-vis others, except the fact that while one may get distracted elsewhere with other tabs but not with kindle ( because there is no elsewhere with kindle ) ?
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Holier__Reddy

Could you elaborate a bit on advantages of kindle vis-a-vis others, except the fact that while one may get distracted elsewhere with other tabs but not with kindle ( because there is no elsewhere with kindle ) ?
    I own a kindle fire hd since last one year.It is a proper tab with web browsing,app store etc.Who says that kindle is only for book reading? Yes, there is kindle paperwhite that is only for reading but tabs like kindle fire has everything.
    I have had a great experience with it.
    -Long lasting battery life
    -Fantastic reading experience.
    -No lag or whatsoever
    -Superb screen resolution
    -You can have a kindle app anywhere,your PC or phone and when you are away from ur tab you can start reading your book on your PC or mobile from where you left it.

• @Holier__Reddy

Andy talked about an advanced version called kindle fire, I'll just put the advantages of the basic model that I bought.

1) It has experimental browser which cannot open sites like youtube but can open plain text sites like wikipedia

2) Kindle supports .mobi format for ebook. It can also read .pdf

3) Long battery life. So ideal for reading as you don't have to charge every day. Other tabs won't last over 10 hours in best case scenario. this lasts upto 2 months without charging.

4) No glare on screen. Can be read perfectly well even in bright sunlight. It is not hard on eyes even for prolonged study of say 10 hours. So it is more like reading on paper than reading on lets say laptop. Other tabs, you can't read for long. Well, thats what it claims.

5) You can email documents to your kindle cloud and it will automatically go into your kindle when you sync it. So no worries about data transfer. It is not necessary to keep it connect to a laptop while transfering documents.

6) Good collection of books which I guess you don't care about anyway.

7) 6 inch screen will be better to read on the go compared to your mobile phone.

Hope it helped.
    I don't know where I am going but I am on my way.
  • don't get the proper kindle. that's useless. I had the nook and I have used it like 5 times.

... I have a Samsung tab. works pretty fine. rough and tough too since I have dropped it twice from the table. there is no proprietary software like apple that force you to use their stuff only. I thought amazon also forces you to use kindle for reading ? not sure.

for epub/ mobi - best app is the moon+reader
    for PDF its adobe
  • don't get the proper kindle. that's useless. I had the nook and I have used it like 5 times.
    ... I have a Samsung tab. works pretty fine. rough and tough too since I have dropped it twice from the table. there is no proprietary software like apple that force you to use their stuff only. I thought amazon also forces you to use kindle for reading ? not sure.

for PDF its adobe
    Rich lady !! Iske paas toh sab gadgets hai .. Mars Rover kab le rahi ho? :p
    Indian Foreign Service | Career Diplomat
  • @jackisbck : I have Kindle PaperWhite ... with many Civil Services related e-books in it .. Wanna buy it from me ? I can give you a good price + a leather cover + all those books for free !! ;)
    Indian Foreign Service | Career Diplomat
  • edited November 2014
    @jackisbck
    i bought kindle paperwhite wifi a month ago..
    pros
    -great screen,easy on the eye with adjustable screen light
    -1-2 months battery backup(wifi off)
    -storage for more than 4000 books
    -runs .mobi natively, epub/others can be easily converted into kindle format using "calibre" and pdf is a bit diificult to read but one can use landscape mode
    -portablility
    -cloud storage...convert books into kindle format and send them directly to your device
    -notemaking

cons
    -pdf with lots of images can create difficulty for kindle device and page turns wont be that smooth

if you like to read books...you wont regret buying this wonderful thing. this device can be great aid for your civil services prep, if you use it well.
    :D
  • @mango_dolly how much it ...
    model ??? feature ?? in how much sell ??
  • edited November 2014
    @shazzz

thanks alot :)

thanks alot evryone .... for ur valueable suggestion :)

i need for book reading and newspaper and govt website only no for game or videos

for PDF its adobe
    Rich lady !! Iske paas toh sab gadgets hai .. Mars Rover kab le rahi ho? :p
    @mango_dolly

don't begrudge me my shiny toys .....
    hmmm .... decisions, decisions ..... which credit card should i blow off next? ...... *sigh* ...... its such a hard life
  • Biggest advantage of Kindle over other normal tabs is the use of a completely different technology, e Ink.
    Book reading in laptops and other LED, LCDs cause strain in the eyes and if you are reading for longer hours it will be bad for your eyes.

For long term reading there is no replacement for e Ink. People reading in Tab may find it difficult to continue for more than 2 hours at a stretch and if they are doing so, they better use some precautions.

I have a Kindle, although after a while it is used only during travelling , unless you depend on soft copies for most of your preparation. Other tabs aren't made for reading for more than 2 hours.
    IRTS (2015), ITS (2014).
  • please help me i am planning to buy a kindle device because cant use laptop for long durations(even 30 minutes of use of laptop causes eyes strain and headache migraine problem ) but i know present times for cse prep you need to be an avid internet websites follower..help guys i have many soft copies of material in pdf form and want to read them without eye pain which kindle should i buy kindle(4999) or kindle paperwhite(8999)..can i use forumias gmail mrunal iasbaba websites in amazon kindle..i mean web browser and internet surfing..i know it doesnt supports youtube etc and i dont want them....waitng for positive solution..urgent
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • Don't buy kindle if you want to read PDF. Kindle is good only for books which are made in a ebook format. Better go for Samsung/nexus etc.
  • Inspite of being easy on the eyes, with endless battery backup and cloud connectivity; the basic kindle lacks led backlight;

Go for kindle paperwhite or above if your taste and budget permit, otherwise get the tab.
  • what about kindle voyage and paperwhite which one to choose
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • please help me i am planning to buy a kindle device because cant use laptop for long durations(even 30 minutes of use of laptop causes eyes strain and headache migraine problem ) but i know present times for cse prep you need to be an avid internet websites follower..help guys i have many soft copies of material in pdf form and want to read them without eye pain which kindle should i buy kindle(4999) or kindle paperwhite(8999)..can i use forumias gmail mrunal iasbaba websites in amazon kindle..i mean web browser and internet surfing..i know it doesnt supports youtube etc and i dont want them....waitng for positive solution..urgent
    none will work for ur purpose... as if u read vision or gkt material they can't be converted into epub..
    n reading in pdf mode is difficult..(kindle dnt have pdf mode i dnt know, i own a kobo aura hd which is way better than kindle in terms of readability). so if u want browsing + fast scrolling + pdf.. then go for tab.. i love ipad air 2 (past 24 hours) n it beats samsung/nexus hands down.
    but if u just want browsing then i wud suggest "print out" le lo pdf ke n net wale stuff ka bhi le liya kro.. cheapest n easiest option...
    one more option is try to get a refurbished model from ebay(dnt know bout their quality) or may be in delhi(i dnt know), it will be realtively cheap..

In order to survive,we cling to all we know & understand.And we label it reality.
    But knowledge & understanding are ambiguous.That reality could be an illusion. All humans live with the wrong assumptions.
    Isn't that another way of looking at it???
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog