All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
Start Now
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Govt decides to scrap 5-star hotelling / Abuse of power by babus

Here is the link
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/narendra-modi-govt-bars-first-class-travel-five-star-hotel-meetings-for-officials/?SocialMedia

As it is said,purely an austerity measure
I welcome the decision.And simultaneously hope that the examination proves a deterrent for elites.But that might be more than optimism
:-))

In times of universal deceit,telling the truth is a revolutionary act!

Comments

• Referring to jobs in government departments, it said there will be a total ban on new posts and those that have remained vacant for more than a year will not be filled except “under very rare and unavoidable circumstances”.
  • even psu people earlier got five star hotel for stay and meeting purpose which was banned from last year. Even some upper level people dont get cars these days. For bureaucrats, it has come now only after one year.
    back to Square 1
  • black money toh nhi la paya....logo ka dhyan bataane ke liye ek aur paitra
    Congratulations to all those who cleared CSE 2014....!!
  • even psu people earlier got five star hotel for stay and meeting purpose which was banned from last year. Even some upper level people dont get cars these days. For bureaucrats, it has come now only after one year.
    officially ,yep they dont get
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    How to curb excess? no one can. GS4 i guess
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    if it can be done, then civil service wont be the most lucrative career.
    back to Square 1
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    Exactly!
  • i hope Mr.modi will also give some thought to his election campaigns on taxpayer's money ...... the way he addressed (several times) rallies in haryana and maha on same day with a return flight to Delhi which was not only I-class but also a private plane too ! ....
    anyways I am happy that he has made atleast one move which was not targeted for his rss-bjp propaganda machine ......
    The long night is coming and the dead come with it.
  • But what about Patel statue in Gujarat, what's the use of it, it may become tallest statue, but for how long it will remain so & can't that money be directed toward Jammu kashmir or coastal Andhra reconstruction..

May be its a exercise to throw spotlight away from Jaitley comments on CAG role & black money list
  • Things like 5 star accommodation should not be seen as misuse of power. These things come as a perk even at starting level in many private companies. Its not sign of dishonesty or lack of desire to work for public good. Its like saying that if you work for an NGO and eat at McD than your NGO is corrupt.

If they start cutting perks like accommodations, car, hotels etc than civil service will loose talent really fast to MNCs and government will be at loss as it will spend heavily on training of officers but will be left with only few officers.
  • edited October 2014
    Bad decision.
    A man is never too weak or too wounded to fight if the cause is greater than his own life.
    We do not choose love. It claims each man as it will.
    -Spartacus
  • But what about Patel statue in Gujarat, what's the use of it, it may become tallest statue, but for how long it will remain so & can't that money be directed toward Jammu kashmir or coastal Andhra reconstruction..

May be its a exercise to throw spotlight away from Jaitley comments on CAG role & black money list
    patel statue funding was done by collaboration.I do not think its a good idea to divert that money.Calamities need funding bt government cant cheat for that funding.Diverting the money amounts to cheating.
  • Things like 5 star accommodation should not be seen as misuse of power. These things come as a perk even at starting level in many private companies. Its not sign of dishonesty or lack of desire to work for public good. Its like saying that if you work for an NGO and eat at McD than your NGO is corrupt.

If they start cutting perks like accommodations, car, hotels etc than civil service will loose talent really fast to MNCs and government will be at loss as it will spend heavily on training of officers but will be left with only few officers.
    Has anybody has info on how much we spent on 5star conferences?
    Or does it come under official secrecy act?

Perks is not an issue,but then what is the rationale for funding under the umbrella of official secrecy?
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    If it's doen civil services will be attractive to only those who want to genuinely work for greater good and not for power &/or black money &/or status.
    A very good initiative.
    UPSC civil services examination is coming closer, and my struggle continues. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at study table. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Civil Services, for this day and all the days to come.........
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    If it's doen civil services will be attractive to only those who want to genuinely work for greater good and not for power &/or black money &/or status.
    A very good initiative.
    wht ur saying is true...but the same shud be applicable to politicians also....thy infact are more responsible for the sorry state of this country....im not sure if the govt maintains any records of expenditure incurred on ministers/mla/mps......forget their illegal properties/partnerships in companies/money stashed in swiss banks...God India would have been so so rich if there had been no corruption
    Congratulations to all those who cleared CSE 2014....!!
  • Govt Cuts Down Spending.....Ban on Recruitments and new posts...Do you guys see any impact on UPSC 2015 exams?

fow women safety it was 100 crore and for statue it is 200 crore
    what an idea sir ji
  • edited October 2014
    Ideally, everybody in government should only be entitled to a lifestyle that they can afford out of their own pocket if they ever actually had to pay. Of course, nobody has to pay anything. Still the level of expenditures one can bill to the exchequer must be proportional to their own pocket.

Cutting down wherever possible is certainly a good idea. The cost of running the government is huge and even a 10% savings on the NPEs would amount to something like 10-12k crore (Ref ). A very welcome move.

Of course, they can keep better tabs on expenditure on babus if they go ahead and monetise perks.

Of course, there would always be the need for some amount of 'wining and dining,' especially in diplomacy. But first class air travel is something that can certainly be scrapped.
    Prelims : 2/5; Mains : 0/2; Interview : 0; Remainder : 1+1 (Tired but not; Retired) / Medical Science / Kolkata / Nihilist extraordinaire | Thanks a lot...

• It is RS 2979 crore.. As per wikipedia , its PPP project.. Govt of Gujarat has allocated RS 600 crore till now in its budget in 2 phase..also Union budget of yr 2014 is contributing hugely.. Not to mention, it is being built on river island, near dam.. Ecological consequences.

Also a 5 star hotel will be built in its premises.. May be as civil servants we will get their discount in organising official meets..

Its like Mayawati phase 2- 1st lady 2 unveil her own statues.. I visited its park in sAHARANPUR, UP-near railway station.. It was massive with trees like palm, no trees were there which could provide shade..A wasteful project in my opinion-whether right or wrong..
    unofficially,Hell yeah.
    A very good initiative.
    For greater good its not necessary to to be civil servant.
    An entrepreneur can do better good than a civil servant. Eg. Infosys co-founder Narayana Murthy’s parents wanted him to be an IAS but he chose to be an entrpreneur and contributed a lot for greater good.
    Or a social activist like kailash satyarthi
    or a celebrity like aamir khan
    or a missionary like mother teresa...
    back to Square 1
  • the local municipal Councillor in my area uses a Scorpio car with a driver and armed guard,gets a free rent free fine accommodation,free electricity,telephone,water, rail and air tickets,mediclaims etc.

now we can well imagine the perks the higher end politicians get.

if the government wishes to curb its expenses it should first start curbing the ultra lavish benefits endowed upon them.

after all, charity begins at home!
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • yes i think the same. Politicians gets all the things, and bureaucrats becomes the scapegoat. They should be the first one to adopt austerity measures..
    back to Square 1
  • edited October 2014
    Government salaries ko privatize, liberalize aur globalize kar deni chahiye. Aur 74% FDI bhi allow kar deni chahiye salaries dene mein. Waise 7th pay commission se 80-90k tak aa jayega kya starting salary?
    I don't know where I am going but I am on my way.
  • Government salaries ko privatize, liberalize aur globalize kar deni chahiye. Aur 74% FDI bhi allow kar deni chahiye salaries dene mein. Waise 7th pay commission se 80-90k tak aa jayega kya starting salary?
    tu 7th pay commission ke baare mein pooch raha hai i think....haan aa jaate aaram se par ab nahi aane ke ....yeh govt 7th pay commission lagaane ki bajaay 2-3rd pay commission laga degi...paanch das hazaar rs. milenge fir...bas fir mauj maaro dharamshaala mein...
  • while modi will be flying in private jets funded by Reliance money. Infact he may bring FDI into his election funding.
  • Tum log aise hurt ho rahe ho jaise abhi se ban gaye IAS :))
    abbey ab tujhse koi teri motivation cheen le toh hurt nahi hoga kya...
    Main bas mazak karr raha tha. Haan yeh nainsafi hai. Inko Antarez rocket mein bhita ke launch kar deni chahiye. Waise tera prelims nikla?
    Main bas mazak karr raha tha. Haan yeh nainsafi hai. Inko Antarez rocket mein bhita ke launch kar deni chahiye. Waise tera prelims nikla?
    haan nikal gaya...tera kya raha ??

• yes i think the same. Politicians gets all the things, and bureaucrats becomes the scapegoat. They should be the first one to adopt austerity measures..
    I am not sure but I think it is applicable to ministers also. It is not a blanket austerity measure but restricted to domestic travel. Also if some DM wants to meet someone like say Satya Nadella of course he will have to meet him in a 5 start hotel only. He can't ask him to come to his office.
  • edited October 2014
    Tum log aise hurt ho rahe ho jaise abhi se ban gaye IAS :))
    haan nikal gaya...tera kya raha ??

Mera jaan ke kya achaar dalega? :))
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google