Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Don't just believe what we say, your first class is on us. Attend by registering HERE
STARTS 24th June | 5 PM

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Suggestion needed : Exhaustive booklist for Geography [GS]

edited October 2014 in Miscellaneous
Please tell me the exhaustive but not excess list for GS Geography.

What I deem fit is :
6-12th NCERT
Goh Che Leong

Please suggest about Strahler & Strahler.

Any other suggestions / alternatives.
To be, or not to be, that is the question...

Comments

• To be, or not to be, that is the question...
  • Bhai search box use kar lo. Purana bara post hai. :)
    I am a real ghost (after dead type). I am being honest. Boooooo......
  • @DayDreamer
    1. For world physical geography use 11std physical geography ncert & indian physical environment ncert 11th std. If you have mood and time you may go through gc leong.

2. For distribution of natural resources use 8th std geography 'resources & development' ncert book.

3. For industrial location factors, mrunal's articles are best.

4. For geophysical phenomenon refer to the above point (1) ncerts. There are specific chapters.

5. The last topic of location changes flora & fauna is a general envirinment topic. No need for special preparation here.

6. No need to study all geography ncert.
    "God is great"
  • @day dreamer..

strahler and strahler..too big and bulky u can finish it off only when you have plenty of time..
    ):- personal opinion.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • Thanks @Sachinmayekar for the detailed reply.

Thanks @mrlobo . I am preparing now for next prelims so I have a bit of time. But is it worth the effort ?? If i read it what book can I skip ?
    To be, or not to be, that is the question...
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks @Sachinmayekar for the detailed reply.

Thanks @mrlobo . I am preparing now for next prelims so I have a bit of time. But is it worth the effort ?? If i read it what book can I skip ?
    @Daydreamer I second @mrlobo. If you are preparing for 2015, it's totally worth the effort. After you are done with this, you wont need to read any other Physical Geography or Environment book, only India-specific books.

There are just 2 chapters on Environment and it helps immensely in prelims. And you won't believe until you read the chapters but *all* the environment questions in 2013 prelims were from those 2 chapters (even the wording).

Plus the physical geography questions in last mains like urban heat island and temperature inversion which are missing in some books are there in Strahler. It covers the types of climate part which people read GCL for, better than GCL.

It's a bulky book but very interesting and easy read and very well illustrated. Clears concepts. Also, you can skip lot of chapters towards the end about landform formation, so you need to do 60-70% of the book not all of it.

In my personal opinion, only 3 books are required for prelims+mains:
    1. Physical geography and Environment - Strahler
    2. India's physical geography - XIth std. NCERT (no need to do IXth NCERT)
    3. India's human and economic geography - Xth std. NCERT (imo better than XIIth NCERT)
  • @Sachinmayekar

Thanks for that elaborate post. it really helps. One ques - what about world geography? what do we refer for that?
  • @daydreamer...

i fully agree with the views of the_ departed..

please understand that there is no full proof book or source material which will guarantee you 100% accuracy in prelims/mains..all you can do is to prepare logically from your end and hope for the best..

mind you the book is robust and expensive..so buy only if you plan to chew it..not just to taste it.. :D
  • i had the same dilemma and i ended it by buying geography for gs- wizard......now i will read only that book...wtever comes comes and wtever not.....

ps. i hate to study geography.
    Let's gamble one more time !
  • Guys, is there any use of majid hussain world geo book? From where should we study world geo and world resources? Is 8th ncert sufficient?
  • @daydreamer...

i fully agree with the views of the_ departed..

please understand that there is no full proof book or source material which will guarantee you 100% accuracy in prelims/mains..all you can do is to prepare logically from your end and hope for the best..

mind you the book is robust and expensive..so buy only if you plan to chew it..not just to taste it.. :D
    Actually I am reading from the free pdf :)
  • @the_departed Could you please attach the free pdf here?? thanx in advance! :)

• @the_departed Could you please attach the free pdf here?? thanx in advance! :)

It's a huge file plus it will be taken down for IPR violation. Just go to this site: gen.lib.rus.ec and search.
  • @the_departed What is the exact title of the book ? Physical geography ?
  • @jaydev..how is wizard geography...is too selective or much detailed...

i hate geography..have rejected savinder singh after struggling for a week found it too detailed and technical
    same with spectrum...
  • @the_departed What is the exact title of the book ? Physical geography ?
    @jay "Introducing Physical Geography"
  • @the_departed Thanks !! Net only has the 5th edition the latest 6th not available. That should suffice right ?
  • @the_departed Thanks !! Net only has the 5th edition the latest 6th not available. That should suffice right ?
    Yeah man :)
  • @mrlobo : same here.. I hate geography. But somehow need to do for gs mains.

Though, i liked k.siddhartha.
    What i am doing for mains is
    K siddhartha
    Gc leong
    And vajiram notes for nat resources
    Manzil mile na mile ye to muqaddar ki baat hain, Hum koshish bhi na kare ye toh galat baat hain.
  • @confused soul..
    what is the name of the geography book by k siddhartha...please elaborate..
    how is majid hussain for geo.?
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly