ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

Synergy Test Series Mains 2014

edited September 2014 in Miscellaneous
Apparently the first test is done which I am not particularly happy about. Anyway, I called them up and sadly, the only way you can take their tests is by appearing at their 2 centres in the fixed time slot which I can't. The only remaining option is by post. My queries are the following. Can someone who has appeared at Synergy answer them?

1. How long do they take to publish their rank list after the tests are taken?
2. Are postal entries also checked within a reasonable period of time?
3. Given that I am already enrolled in vision, should I join this too? I have no issues of money but just want to know its reputation among the aspirant class?
4. I was going through last year's rank list and nowhere could I find Gaurav Agrawal's name. Why is that? Did he not score high enough (which I doubt) or he appeared through their postal program?

Thanks.
I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.

Comments

• 1)7-10 days
    2)Dont know. Maybe
    3) Synergy is good. Both question quality and quality of aspirants imo are up to the mark. for ex last year about 100 marks direct questions came in mains and also about 50 60 students were already qualified the exams. Even this year I know about 10 people who were already on the merit list for 2013.
    4) Yes even I could not find his name. But in 1 or 2 test he is there. In others he has camouflaged his name or hasnt appeared. Dont know.
    circumstances make men just as much as men make circumstances.
  • Apparently the first test is done which I am not particularly happy about. Anyway, I called them up and sadly, the only way you can take their tests is by appearing at their 2 centres in the fixed time slot which I can't. The only remaining option is by post. My queries are the following. Can someone who has appeared at Synergy answer them?

3. Given that I am already enrolled in vision, should I join this too? I have no issues of money but just want to know its reputation among the aspirant class?
    4. I was going through last year's rank list and nowhere could I find Gaurav Agrawal's name. Why is that? Did he not score high enough (which I doubt) or he appeared through their postal program?

Thanks.
    i am also in same dilemna....even i hve joined vision.
    better to wait for result....they will reduce price and number of tests.....they r good definately.....this time i feel may b better than vision

• 4) Yes even I could not find his name. But in 1 or 2 test he is there. In others he has camouflaged his name or hasnt appeared. Dont know.
    Ranks of Chanchal Rana (AIR 7)and Divyanshu Jha (AIR 9) were in 100's out of 400 odd people!
    Source: @BombayPirate's lists on forumias
  • edited September 2014

4) Yes even I could not find his name. But in 1 or 2 test he is there. In others he has camouflaged his name or hasnt appeared. Dont know.
    Ranks of Chanchal Rana (AIR 7)and Divyanshu Jha (AIR 9) were in 100's out of 400 odd people!
    Given how big a role optionals and essay played in the final rank, no GS test series rank list can be expected to mirror the UPSC merit list. This is no anomaly as far as I am concerned.

@observer Thanks.
    I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.

• i am also in same dilemna....even i hve joined vision.
    better to wait for result....they will reduce price and number of tests.....they r good definately.....this time i feel may b better than vision
    Even I have joined vision this time. Only good for practice since comparison with toppers in vision is bogus (many write open book, also overextend time limit). Moreover since syllabus is less for 1 test in vision detailed questions are asked. It is useful for people who have not completed the syllabus. IMO synergy is more complete. Better hurry up I think last time only full tests were opened in the end.

Yes they were in 100's but consistency was there and they have scored pretty well in GS also. Optionals is crucial but you need to be good in GS to secure a good rank.

Best of luck to all !
    circumstances make men just as much as men make circumstances.
  • edited September 2014

Yes they were in 100's but consistency was there and they have scored pretty well in GS also. Optionals is crucial but you need to be good in GS to secure a good rank.

Best of luck to all !

@observer Yeah. I was looking at Divyanshu's paper (on vision's site perhaps) and he didn't seem like a guy riding on his optional at all. It was the kind of answersheet that depresses you about your level of knowledge, and that's why I was surprised with his rank in Synergy tests. Plus Chanchal Rana got 120+ score in GS-III eventually. So, for them to not be in top 25 percentile of a test series is bewildering. Anyway, her point is correct, there are scope for anomalies. I am enrolled in vision and not going for Synergy definitely (personal view). I am waiting for IASscore reviews, first test was on Saturday, will decide after people put feedback here

Sorry for pointless discussion. Over to people actually answering the OP's questions.
  • Apparently the first test is done which I am not particularly happy about. Anyway, I called them up and sadly, the only way you can take their tests is by appearing at their 2 centres in the fixed time slot which I can't. The only remaining option is by post. My queries are the following. Can someone who has appeared at Synergy answer them?

Thanks.
    Gaurav used to take them at mukherjee Nagar center
  • edited September 2014
    Even I was shocked to see Gaurav rank in 20-30+ in Vision last year.

I joined vision last year but no corelation between test series and UPSC marks.

Test series role just for revision, writing practice and regularity, nothing else.

Ur score may double or half in real exam.Its era of randomisation in UPSC both in questions asked and markings.
  • edited September 2014
    @observer You are right. I have said this before and I will say it again. Chanchal Rana was THE most consistent performer in synergy tests in 2013.He was also the topper in his optional.

@the_departed If you notice, in every list, there are only 4-5 people holding their ground in top 100 across all GS tests. So the intersection across various GS test papers, naturally puts them in the top 10, even if their rank in one paper was 97 or 98.

@Tikku I agree.
    The only sure-shot way of knowing your final rank to be AIR 100 or better would be
    IF (a) you are sure to be in the top 2 in your optional.
    AND (b) you are in top 50 across almost all papers in a test series like Synergy.

ELSE, test series is only a net practice session - at best a reflection of our state of preparedness.
    Pehle vey aap par dhyan nahi denge, Fir aap par hasenge, Fir aapse ladenge, Aur tab aapki jeet hogi.
  • edited September 2014
    @jaguar If Gaurav used to take it at MN, did he score so poorly to not make it to the top 300 in any of the tests? I find it close to impossible. Can you throw some light? Looks like you know him personally.

@Tikku How do you know where Gaurav stood in VisionIAS? As far as I see, there is no name-wise rank list; there are only registration numbers. Moreover, as more people write tests, ranks keep falling. Do you know him personally too?
  • @jaguar If Gaurav used to take it at MN, did he score so poorly to not make it to the top 300 in any of the tests? I find it close to impossible. Can you throw some light? Looks like you know him personally.

@Tikku How do you know where Gaurav stood in VisionIAS? As far as I see, there is no name-wise rank list; there are only registration numbers. Moreover, as more people write tests, ranks keep falling. Do you know him personally too?
    Yes i know him. But he might not have written all the tests. Quite improbable that he wouldnt feature in top 300
  • @jaguar If Gaurav used to take it at MN, did he score so poorly to not make it to the top 300 in any of the tests? I find it close to impossible. Can you throw some light? Looks like you know him personally.

If you guys se gaurav's marks he did really well un optional and essay. In gs he was good but not great. Just my take

• edited September 2014
    @jaguar If Gaurav used to take it at MN, did he score so poorly to not make it to the top 300 in any of the tests? I find it close to impossible. Can you throw some light? Looks like you know him personally.

@woman I came to know his Registration Number from his copies uploaded on VisionIAS website main page.As I was enrolled in same test series last year in which Gaurav was so I could easily found his rank in performance analysis graph.

And I saw many in that test series who always came under 10-20 rank constantly could not qualify even mains.Actually UPSC marking is very far from understanding of students and Coachings.

Only God knows what UPSC wants.

My story=I was consistently scoring high marks in GS in last year Vision test series, rank often less than 5 and overall all test under 10 with consistency in marks.This gave me motivation and I put my all time in GS preparation but after result I came to know there is upper limit in GS for everyone (with some exceptional like Rachit Raj).
    So this year I am not taking their score seriously, giving test series for regularity moreover for "Aatma ki Santusti" because it will be my second and last attempt so jo bhi hai sab try kar raha hu taki baad mein koi pachtawa na rah jaye.
    I shared my story so that you people could understand illusion of test series and prepare accordingly otherwise you will become frustrated like me.Follow @woman rule of E2O2 It will work ever
  • What they(synergy and visionoias) cost for mains test series?
  • Someone please upload GS Test 1 of Synergy. Thanks
  • Test series are taken for 2 purposes:
    1) For knowing your short-comings and refining your answering skills (for which Vision is better)
    2) To know where you stand currently in the competition (for which Synergy may be better)

But personally, I think reason 2 does not make even iota of a difference to your final result. I mean why should it matter to anyone about where he/she stands today. In a way it can only derail the study curve by either making someone over-confident or depressed as the case may be (not applicable to students with high EQ)
    Fast and steady wins the race
    1) For knowing your short-comings and refining your answering skills (for which Vision is better)
    2) To know where you stand currently in the competition (for which Synergy may be better)

But personally, I think reason 2 does not make even iota of a difference to your final result. I mean why should it matter to anyone about where he/she stands today. In a way it can only derail the study curve by either making someone over-confident or depressed as the case may be (not applicable to students with high EQ)
    But having said that, how's you performance going with Vision. :P :P :P @woman @andy133
    Fast and steady wins the race
  • edited September 2014
    Test series are taken for 2 purposes:

But having said that, how's you performance going with Vision. :P :P :P @woman @andy133
    I am enrolled at vision. I find their quality top notch. I enrolled in their April batch so we had module wise test of each GS paper.
    I find my scores in the tests satisfactory. Yes, at times they do expect us to write more words and stuff but I don't think they deduct more than half a mark or 1 mark for that. They do reward quality in your answers.
    There are a few tests where you would feel that the checking could have been better but then that is the case even with UPSC, you have to accept it with a pinch of salt.
    All in all Vision's test series has been a great help this year for me.
  • edited September 2014
    Test series are taken for 2 purposes:

Its ok. But I am not too concerned about GS now. I know enough and the real thrust has to be on optionals. And that is where I am focusing.
  • Vision ias checking logic
    Is the answet best anyone could have written?
    Yes- give the person 5 or 6/10
    Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

I dont think this is the case. I have 6 on 10 in almost 60% of the questions i attempt and 5 ,5.5 in the another 35%. I havent eer scored a 1 on 10 and k have seen other friends too getting 5,6 marks

Its ok. But I am not too concerned about GS now. I know enough and the real thrust has to be on optionals. And that is where I am focusing.
    What is your optional.
    Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

I dont think this is the case. I have 6 on 10 in almost 60% of the questions i attempt and 5 ,5.5 in the another 35%. I havent eer scored a 1 on 10 and k have seen other friends too getting 5,6 marks
    It means assuming you attempt 20 questions, you get 12x6+7×5(conservatively)+2=109 or thereabout every paper, which is incredible. My optional is Philosophy and I am not scoring anywhere close to you in VisionIAS. You must be one of the toppers of VisionIAS.
  • I have taken 3 test of vision till now. Performing average..not near the earlier mentioned scores. But I am happy that I am improving with each test. The correction by Vision has been decent so far.
    1st attempt - 2014: written Mains. Could not clear.
    Optional: Pol Sc
    Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

You must be among the toppers :). Great going
    Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

It means assuming you attempt 20 questions, you get 12x6+7×5(conservatively)+2=109 or thereabout every paper, which is incredible. My optional is Philosophy and I am not scoring anywhere close to you in VisionIAS. You must be one of the toppers of VisionIAS.
    Yes i am scoring around 100-115 in vision. Have scored 95-100 too. I see people scoring in 130s and 140s as well
    All IAS officers here. Please reply to my query.
    All IAS officers here. Please reply to my query.
    Usually ~1k per test in vision.
    Is it bad?
    Give him/her 1/10

You must be among the toppers :). Great going
    Those who have given test # 436 pls reply ---I could not answer the entire paper almost 3-4 question were left because of time constraint...is it that I am too slow in writing . anybody finished entire paper on time?

Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog