ANNOUNCEMENT : Prelims 2019 Select Focus Group (SFG) Commencement Date, Entrance Test and Other Details
MITRA'S IAS - "ADMISSION OPEN" - NEW BATCH BEGINNING WITH WESTERN PHILOSOPHY STARTING FROM 16th NOVEMBER 11.AM (LIMITED SEATS)
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
Website:- www.mitrasias.com;  Address: MITRAS IAS , 39 PUSA ROAD, SAMAYAK TOWER OPPOSITE METRO PILLAR NO.- 120

[Science Tech] : Topics to be read for Prelims?

TDHTDH
edited August 2014 in Science & Tech
What topics we need to cover under this heading with respective priorities?
It's not over until i win!!

Comments

• read NCERT books, more focus should be on, physics and botany.
  • Which ncert
  • class 8 th to class 12th. Do read physics and botany of class 11th and class 12th.
  • some of the impt topics can be :
    1) all about space: satellites ,cryogenic engine (GLSV Mark 3), diff between PSLV and GSLV, Mars orbiter ,Maven Mission, GPS/GLONASS/IRNSS/Compass/galileo, India's present and future space programs.
    2) use of drones : bluefin in search for MH 370, drones related to maoist area and uttarakhand flash floods,
    3) bio- medicines : synram for malaria, MERS, EBOLA, Japanese encephalitis (diff. of mosquitoes for JE, malaria and chikiungunya, JENVAC vaccine), AVian flu, Bird flu,Rotavirus
    4) Energy : Shale gas, Nuclear (reactors working, types of reactors, FBR ,thorium as fuel, India's 3 stage nuclear programme), renewable energy (solar- JNNSM, wind, biodiesel/biofuel, biomass,)
    5) bio-genetic: about dna ,genes,Stem cells , pluripotent/totipotent, genetic mutation/transfer
    6) defense related : 5th gen. aircraft
    7) basic physics: mirrors and lens properties (plane,concave,convex ), radio/microwaves/xrays/gamma rays basic properties,

i will add more if i get.
  • Read Science and Tech from Wizard pre specific edition. Covers current S&T comprehensively!
  • Thanks everyone!!

@akrao_iimb : as i don't have that book, can you briefly outline imp. topics!! Thanks :)
    It's not over until i win!!
  • all are current affair related, can google it:
    polity +sci-tech related : EVM totalizer, working of EVM machine.
    bio-genetic: mitochondria transfer (3 parent baby) and it can be done by IVF method)
    env. related : cloud seeding using silver iodide
    drugs related: oxytocin (govt banned it recently)
    infra related : pamban bridge (india's first cantilever bridge, this year kalam inaugurated for completing 100 year)
    disease related : Genetically modified mosquitoes working by producing males only to prevent malaria
    GM crops recently approved : modified (GM) rice,mustard, cotton, chickpea and brinjal ;
    physics : Yoctonewtons , the smallest force measured so far, is oneseptillionth, or 10-24th of a
    Newton.

• Dont try new books in last moment just rely on your regular material.One thing you can use is definetly google/internet.
  • I have only read 8th and 9th NCERT and I don't think I will be able to even start 10th wala let alone finish it.So im planning to just revise these 2 and maybe google all those topics ul have mentioned,will it suffice?
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • I have only read 8th and 9th NCERT and I don't think I will be able to even start 10th wala let alone finish it.So im planning to just revise these 2 and maybe google all those topics ul have mentioned,will it suffice?
    Yes dont panic but revise well.
  • Ques: all missions to make take approx how many years to reach in mar's orbit?
  • Ques: all missions to make take approx how many years to reach in mar's orbit?
    not even a year.
    the closest distance between earth and mars is around 55 million KM which occurs in every two years. This is the right time to launch space vehicles to mars. The first space craft to reach Mars ,Mariner 4, took 228 days. India's Mars Orbiter and MAven will reach Mars in approxly 100 days although Maven started few days late but will reach mars before Mars orbiter by few days. Reason is India's using PSLV rocket to fire it, which is less strong compared to Centaur rocket used in MAVEN plus PSLV is firing stepwise into the trajectory towards Mars while Centaur firing directly into Mars orbit.

not even a year.
    the closest distance between earth and mars is around 55 million KM which occurs in every two years. This is the right time to launch space vehicles to mars. The first space craft to reach Mars ,Mariner 4, took 228 days. India's Mars Orbiter and MAven will reach Mars in approxly 100 days although Maven started few days late but will reach mars before Mars orbiter by few days. Reason is India's using PSLV rocket to fire it, which is less strong compared to Centaur rocket used in MAVEN plus PSLV is firing stepwise into the trajectory towards Mars while Centaur firing directly into Mars orbit.

Bro, thanks for the enriching infos.. but a small correction.. India's Mars orbitor will take abt 300 days to reach near Mars.. n its ryt that the closest earth mars distance is 55 Mkm.. but India's Mars orbitor will travel a distance of 690 Mkm to reach close to mars..
    Why..?
    Because a straight line distance (55 Mkm) may not be the most energy efficient way to reach Mars. To put the spacecraft in such an extreme solar orbit would require enormous amount of energy n fuel..
    The minimum energy transfer path is of 690 Mkm.. This minimum energy transfer orbit is also known as Hohmann Transfer Orbit ..
  • @madhav : many thanks for the correction. My mistake. Forgot to mention that it was during june ,second trajectory correction, from where 100 days will take to reach Mars Orbit in september. Launched in november, will take 10 months=300 days to reach Mars.
  • edited August 2014
    :-)
  • @all

What are the various latest DNA technologies available ?
    kindly provide the list of those technologies
    The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • sickle cell anemia
    One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results
  • @all

What are the various latest DNA technologies available ?
    kindly provide the list of those technologies

reposting it

The Law of Detachment - be equanimous to both victories and defeats
  • can anyone please upload source for defence and space tech in India?? (all imp ones together*)
  • bhai log pichle 4 5 mahine ka koi topic de do jo pucha ja sakta hai
  • Does Anyone have 12th Bio Old NCERT?
  • Biotechnology ncert chapter 11 n vaji
    1.Restriction endonuclease is one of the widely use enzyme in genetic engineering.which among following is incorrect regarding it-
    a.are synthesised by Bacteria as a part of their defense mechanisms.
    b.makes cut at specific positions within DNA molecule.
    c.are used for in-vitro DNA synthesis.
    d.all are correct.

2.Which among following is incorrect wrt importance of Biotechnology.
    a.Application in Agriculture includes-increasing crop yields,nutritional quality,reducing vulnerability to environment stress.
    b.In health care sector used for producing insulin,gene therapy.
    c.producing biodegradable plastics,biofuels using genetically modified algae.
    d.genetically modofied Protozoans for purpose of bioremediations.

3.which is the correct sequence in processes of rDNA technology.
    a.Isolation of genetic material→cutting of DNA at specific sites→Amplification of gene of interest using Pcr→inserting rDNA into host cell→obtain foreign gene product→downward processing.
    b.cut the DNA at specfic site→amplify gene of intrst using Pcr→insert into hosy cell→identify gene of interst→downward processing→obtain foreign gene product.
    c.Isolation of genetic material→cutting of DNA at specific sites→amplification of gene of interst using PCR→Insert rDNA into host cell→downward processing→obtain foreign gene product.
    d.NOTA

4.Match the following
    i.seprating DNA fragments based on their size.
    ii.used in gene guns for directly bombarding DNA into cell
    iii.chemical method for vectorless gene transfer making cell more competent to uptake outer DNA.
    Iv.small,circular self-replicating DNA Vectors.
    v.vectors used for cloning genes in higher animals.
    a.Gold and Tungustan particles.
    b.Plasmid
    c.polyethylene glycol
    d.gel electrophoresis
    e.retrovirus
  • Biotechnology ncert chapter 11 n vaji
    1.Restriction endonuclease is one of the widely use enzyme in genetic engineering.which among following is incorrect regarding it-
    a.are synthesised by Bacteria as a part of their defense mechanisms.
    b.makes cut at specific positions within DNA molecule.
    c.are used for in-vitro DNA synthesis.
    d.all are correct.

2.Which among following is incorrect wrt importance of Biotechnology.
    a.Application in Agriculture includes-increasing crop yields,nutritional quality,reducing vulnerability to environment stress.
    b.In health care sector used for producing insulin,gene therapy.
    c.producing biodegradable plastics,biofuels using genetically modified algae.
    d.genetically modofied Protozoans for purpose of bioremediations.

3.which is the correct sequence in processes of rDNA technology.
    a.Isolation of genetic material→cutting of DNA at specific sites→Amplification of gene of interest using Pcr→inserting rDNA into host cell→obtain foreign gene product→downward processing.
    b.cut the DNA at specfic site→amplify gene of intrst using Pcr→insert into hosy cell→identify gene of interst→downward processing→obtain foreign gene product.
    c.Isolation of genetic material→cutting of DNA at specific sites→amplification of gene of interst using PCR→Insert rDNA into host cell→downward processing→obtain foreign gene product.
    d.NOTA

4.Match the following
    i.seprating DNA fragments based on their size.
    ii.used in gene guns for directly bombarding DNA into cell
    iii.chemical method for vectorless gene transfer making cell more competent to uptake outer DNA.
    Iv.small,circular self-replicating DNA Vectors.
    v.vectors used for cloning genes in higher animals.
    a.Gold and Tungustan particles.
    b.Plasmid
    c.polyethylene glycol
    d.gel electrophoresis
    e.retrovirus
  • science tech should be more from currant or NCERT
    कृपया यहां ज्ञान न बांटे यहां सभी ज्ञानी है
  • 1. D
    2. D (?)
    3. C ( :worried: )
    4. i-d, ii-a, iii-c, iv-b, v-e ( B) )

Brothr i through d bait n u r easily trapped.
    1-c is wrong as per my basic knowldge,howvr may b used indirctly.so answr is C
    2& 4 right. :)
    3-answr is a.sheer ncert.
    atb
  • edited April 2016
    Ecology and Enbironment NCERT CHAPTER 13
    1.Which among following truly represents parasites-
    a.Female Anopheles moisquito bites and sucks ur blood.
    b.Plover blood feeding from crocodiles mouth.
    c.Human foetus in mothers womb driving nutrients.
    d.louse residing and feeding on ur scalp.
    e.cuckoo laying egg in crows nest.

2.match the following
    i.Photosynthesis
    ii.Resource partitioning
    iii.Photorespiration
    iv.Transpiration
    a.strategy to avoid competitions
    b.plants utilizes internal carbon dioxide.
    c.conversion of free energy into potential energy.
    d.facilitates transport of minerals against gravitational pull.

3.Which is wrong about predation.
    a.it is transfer of energy from lower trophic level to higher trophic levels.
    b.Pitcher plant feeding on insects is an example.
    c.Herbivory i.e. cattle feeding on grass is also predation.
    d.here 100% of Preys
    energy is uptaken by Predator.

4.Although Polar Bears are common ,smaller amimals are rarely found in tundra regions.why?
    a.Biological compounds and enzyme are functional only in high temperatures.
    b.unable to feed and store much in the body.
    c.dont have antifreeze protein.
    d.have large surface area to volume ratio so more heat loss.

5.choose the incorrect-
    a.any population of a habitat cannot show unlimeted growth as every environment have certain carrying capacity.
    b.the carrying capacity of a habitat is limited by abiotic factors water,light,temperature and biotic factors like predators,parasites etc.
    c.migrate,suspend,coform and regulate are ways to tackle abiotic factors wheras biotic factors cant be tackled.
    d.Niche of a organism is defined as its trophic levels and habitat in environment.

6.the sunken stomata,deep roots,cuticle in stems,leaves modified as throns are seen in.
    a.xerophytes e.g.Accacia
    b.Epiphytes e.g.orchids
    c.xerophytes e.g.Rubber
    d.Hydrophytes e.g.Hydrilla.

7.match the following species interactions and type.
    i.Algae-Fungi in Lichens
    ii.Sea anemone on Hermit crab
    iii.Nepenthes plant and insects
    iv.cuscuta and higher plants

a.commensalism.
    b.mutualism
    c.predation
    d.parasitism
  • Ecology and Enbironment NCERT CHAPTER 13

2.match the following
    i.Photosynthesis-C
    ii.Resource partitioning-A
    iii.Photorespiration-B
    iv.Transpiration-D

d.here 100% of Preys

4.Although Polar Bears are common ,smaller amimals are rarely found in tundra regions.why?

5.choose the incorrect-
    a.any population of a habitat cannot show unlimeted growth as every environment have certain carrying capacity.
    b.the carrying capacity of a habitat is limited by abiotic factors water,light,temperature and biotic factors like predators,parasites etc.
    c.migrate,suspend,coform and regulate are ways to tackle abiotic factors wheras biotic factors cant be tackled.
    d.Niche of a organism is defined as its trophic levels and habitat in environment.

6.the sunken stomata,deep roots,cuticle in stems,leaves modified as throns are seen in.
    a.xerophytes e.g.Accacia
    b.Epiphytes e.g.orchids
    c.xerophytes e.g.Rubber

i.Algae-Fungi in Lichens-A
    ii.Sea anemone on Hermit crab-B
    iii.Nepenthes plant and insects-C
    iv.cuscuta and higher plants-D

a.commensalism.
    b.mutualism
    c.predation
    d.parasitism

@resilience.. boss ???!!!!!???
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)

" Woods are lovely dark and deep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    But I have promises to keep..
    And miles to go before I sleep.. before I sleep. " :)

#HumHongeKamyaabEkDin :)
  • Ecology and Enbironment NCERT CHAPTER 13

2.match the following
    i.Photosynthesis-C
    iii.Photorespiration-B
    iv.Transpiration-D

d.here 100% of Preys

5.choose the incorrect-

a.xerophytes e.g.Accacia
    b.Epiphytes e.g.orchids
    c.xerophytes e.g.Rubber

a.commensalism.
    b.mutualism
    c.predation
    d.parasitism

I think 4 should be D.
    One day, perhaps, love may die of disuse, left to rust in wind and weather.
  • IWRA said:

Ecology and Enbironment NCERT CHAPTER 13

2.match the following
    i.Photosynthesis-C
    iii.Photorespiration-B
    iv.Transpiration-D

d.here 100% of Preys

5.choose the incorrect-

a.xerophytes e.g.Accacia
    b.Epiphytes e.g.orchids
    c.xerophytes e.g.Rubber

a.commensalism.
    b.mutualism
    c.predation
    d.parasitism

I think 4 should be D.
    yes 4-D
    source Ncert.
    7.i-b
    ii-a
    iii-c
    iv-d
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog