Vice-Admiral Verma moves Tribunal Judges’ panel to hear charges against CJI India may send NIA team to assist in probe India may stop oil imports from Iran Price controls hurting FDI in medical devices sector
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Diffrent tail words like analyze, examine etc

What is the experience of selected as well as people who have given mains?

@Khabba_again @federer @nandini @Neyawn @DrKingSchuItz @analyzer56 and all others.

PSIR

Comments

• Will let you know their meaning today. I am not a selected guy.

• analyze - explain the issue , give pros and cons, dont take a stand or take a subtle stand
    examine- same as above+ justify your stand
    elaborate , elucidate, explain - stand/premise is given in the question itself , you need to extend it with examples, arguments etc

PS: I got a mere 370 in GS so dont take very seriously... :trollface:
  • _k_ said:

analyze - explain the issue , give pros and cons, dont take a stand or take a subtle stand
    elaborate , elucidate, explain - stand/premise is given in the question itself , you need to extend it with examples, arguments etc

:joy: :joy: :joy:
  • Candid said:

Will let you know their meaning today. I am not a selected guy.

Please
    PSIR
  • _k_ said:

analyze - explain the issue , give pros and cons, dont take a stand or take a subtle stand

Dosent matter... Marks toh illusion hai upsc me :mrgreen:
    PSIR
  • _k_ said:

N discuss? Pros n cons with own stand?
    PSIR
  • Yes, please throw some light. The vision ias document on this didn't help me much.
    2017,2018 : P+M.
    Anthropology
  • Phagocyte said:

Yes, please throw some light. The vision ias document on this didn't help me much.

+1 I can't make sense out of that document.
    PSIR
  • edited February 5
    Phagocyte said:

Yes, please throw some light. The vision ias document on this didn't help me much.

I'm sick of throwing light. But it's vokay. Here's the light :trollface:

images.jpeg
    355 x 355 - 10K
  • Examine. Get to the basics sirji. What do you get when you examine something? Lots of facts, na? That's what we got to do. A question asking us to examine something would require us to throw in all the facts we have.

Eg Sino-Nepali relations' questions would require us to throw facts like rail, road and seaport (transit) facilities being given to Nepal by China. Bring in the relevant bilateral agreement between them. Less dependence on Indian dry ports like Raxaul, Jhapa etc. Add more facts if you know along with implications :trollface:

Wait. Don't include India into the picture yet. Bring India when we are asked to analyze. This word would require us to dig deeper resulting in bringing other gossips like India's interests (economic, political, social and shits)

Critically - when this is added, you be the arbiter and give judgement. :trollface:

More example -

MDM -
    Examine? Put all facts like focus on education, health & nutrition etc.

Analysis? Bring those socio-political shits into what you'd examined.

Vokay Vokay bye :trollface:
  • edited February 5
    Though analyse and examine are often used interchangeably, they are fundamentally different.

Lets take an example and try to understand the usage of these terms.

Situation : The tap in your kitchen is not working.

Case 1 - "The tap in your kitchen is not working". Analyse.
    Here the question setter is sure about the fact that the tap is not working. He wants you to explain the situation that led to this fact and what will be it's future consequences.

Your answer: a brief introduction (about 30 to 40 words) about the statement. You can either define what is a tap in the kitchen or provide history of the tap in the kitchen.

After this,
    You have to "analyse" why this happened. What were the reasons, and why did those reasons occur. You shouldn't explain your opinion here (unless asked) but use the standard theories to explain the what and why part. Just 2 to 3 reasons would be enough. Don't have to address everything.

Next, you will have to analyze what will be the consequences of the tap not working in your kitchen. You can simple use pros and cons method or if you have time use pestel approach.

In the end, you will have to discuss the steps taken by the government towards this, if any. And also, if there is scope for you to suggest measures in hour personal capacity, you may also do that.

-----------------------

"The tap in your kitchen is not working." Examine.

Here, the question setter is not sure about the fact. He perhaps came across this in some news report or any place and he now wants you to examine whether this statement is true or false.

Before even starting to write, you have to be clear in your mind whether this statement is true or not. You have to take a stand here and the stand you take should be substantiated with standard theories and facts.

Introduction - a small write up about how this situation developed.

Body - you have to straight away take a stand here. You have to either agree with the statement or disagree. And your decision should be explained in the following paragraph using different reasons. You can either write points directly or use the pestel approach again for arriving at points.

Conclusion - what are the consequences of this on major sectors, and steps taken by the govt (if any) or your own suggestions (if possible).

------------------------

Now in the above write up in both cases, you can see how easily you can elaborate with the help of theories, facts, examples, govt schemes etc. This is the reason why all toppers say that we should have notes (covering the basic dimensions) for every topic in the mains syllabus. This will help you quickly organize that data in your answers.

Next why should we read editorials and see discussions on rstv etc? So that we have a clear stand on issues when questions like examine are asked.

------------------------------

Here's an exercise for you to do now.

"Demonetization affected small businesses". Analyse.

"Demonetization affected small businesses". Examine

Now, using the example i gave above, I want you to think how different the answers can be for both these questions.

Once you do this, you will have a clear understanding about what both the questions demand from you.

----------------------------------

Next, you often see the word critically being used along with the analyze or examine.

Whenever this is asked, along with the analysis or examination, you have to add pros or cons / merits or demerits compulsorily.

And conclusion should have a definite stand, be it yes or no or neutral. The decision has to be made.

--------------------------------------------------

That's it from my side.
    Thank you.

• IMG20190205182024.jpg
    2448 x 3264 - 3M

• what is name of this book ?
  • _k_ said:

N discuss? Pros n cons with own stand?
    Discuss is like essay approach. These are questions which should be answered no matter what.

Intro - definition / history

Body - pestel and adequate examples. Examples is the key factor here.

Conclusion - measures.

This would be a decent enough answer.

• you tube par sab available hai...with high quality

• Question types, their difficulty leval and key verbs.

Analysis qs-these examines relationships between/among various facts and concepts.

Keyverbs-analyze, compare, contrrast, distinguish, infer etc

Evaluation qs-these asks u to make value judgements and present ur own opinion.it is important to support ur opinions by citing the work and views of experts in the field, if possible.

Key verbs-examine, discuss,evaluate,justify,compare etc.

Note:compare key verb book me dono jagaht diya h. Confused :joy:
    Maine toh copy kiya h bus oxford dictionary se :trollface:

• zerowatt said:

what is name of this book ?
    Oxford advanced learner's dictionary.
  • @excellency Sorry for being late. Actually, laptop was not working and it was stored in pen drive which couldn't be accessed via smartphone. Some words are written in hindi just only to perceive things in a much better way. It had been prepared after consulting mainly the most authorirative source which is none other than the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, apart from some other reliable UPSC specific guidance sources.

There are subtle difference between few directives. Don't analyze them much, just have a knowledge of what examiner wants from an aspirant when he/she uses such directives variously. That's all. :)

_20180307_203628.jpg
    720 x 966 - 135K
    _20180307_203719.jpg
    720 x 962 - 133K
    _20180307_203728.jpg
    720 x 567 - 73K
  • Candid said:

@excellency Sorry for being late. Actually, laptop was not working and it was stored in pen drive which couldn't be accessed via smartphone. Some words are written in hindi just only to perceive things in a much better way. It had been prepared after consulting mainly the most authorirative source which is none other than the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, apart from some other reliable UPSC specific guidance sources.

There are subtle difference between few directives. Don't analyze them much, just have a knowledge of what examiner wants from an aspirant when he/she uses such directives variously. That's all. :)

this handwriting is so archaic

nothing personal dude..and also not judging..... just saying
  • pizzza said:

Though analyse and examine are often used interchangeably, they are fundamentally different.

Here the question setter is sure about the fact that the tap is not working. He wants you to explain the situation that led to this fact and what will be it's future consequences.

Your answer: a brief introduction (about 30 to 40 words) about the statement. You can either define what is a tap in the kitchen or provide history of the tap in the kitchen.

After this,
    You have to "analyse" why this happened. What were the reasons, and why did those reasons occur. You shouldn't explain your opinion here (unless asked) but use the standard theories to explain the what and why part. Just 2 to 3 reasons would be enough. Don't have to address everything.

Next, you will have to analyze what will be the consequences of the tap not working in your kitchen. You can simple use pros and cons method or if you have time use pestel approach.

In the end, you will have to discuss the steps taken by the government towards this, if any. And also, if there is scope for you to suggest measures in hour personal capacity, you may also do that.

-----------------------

Here, the question setter is not sure about the fact. He perhaps came across this in some news report or any place and he now wants you to examine whether this statement is true or false.

Before even starting to write, you have to be clear in your mind whether this statement is true or not. You have to take a stand here and the stand you take should be substantiated with standard theories and facts.

Body - you have to straight away take a stand here. You have to either agree with the statement or disagree. And your decision should be explained in the following paragraph using different reasons. You can either write points directly or use the pestel approach again for arriving at points.

Conclusion - what are the consequences of this on major sectors, and steps taken by the govt (if any) or your own suggestions (if possible).

------------------------

Now in the above write up in both cases, you can see how easily you can elaborate with the help of theories, facts, examples, govt schemes etc. This is the reason why all toppers say that we should have notes (covering the basic dimensions) for every topic in the mains syllabus. This will help you quickly organize that data in your answers.

Next why should we read editorials and see discussions on rstv etc? So that we have a clear stand on issues when questions like examine are asked.

Now, using the example i gave above, I want you to think how different the answers can be for both these questions.

Once you do this, you will have a clear understanding about what both the questions demand from you.

Next, you often see the word critically being used along with the analyze or examine.

Whenever this is asked, along with the analysis or examination, you have to add pros or cons / merits or demerits compulsorily.

And conclusion should have a definite stand, be it yes or no or neutral. The decision has to be made.

That's it from my side.
    Thank you.

1- analyze.
    Intro - define demonetisation

- reasons for taking the step of demonetisation.
    - positive + negative effects on small businesses.
    - consequences of this effect

- conclusion -- measures needed.

2- examine.

- intro - define demonetisation
    - effect of demonetisation on small businesses (both positive n negative)
    - conclusion -- measures needed for strngthing small businesses.

P. S--here I agreed that it affected.

I think I got it.Thanx pizza
    PSIR
  • pizzza said:

After this,

-----------------------

------------------------

That's it from my side.
    Thank you.

1- analyze.
    Intro - define demonetisation

- reasons for taking the step of demonetisation.
    - positive + negative effects on small businesses.
    - consequences of this effect

- conclusion -- measures needed.

2- examine.

- intro - define demonetisation
    - effect of demonetisation on small businesses (both positive n negative)
    - conclusion -- measures needed for strngthing small businesses.

P. S--here I agreed that it affected.

I think I got it.Thanx pizza
    @pizza one example for discuss please.. I thought discuss is pros n cons
    PSIR
  • Candid said:

@excellency Sorry for being late. Actually, laptop was not working and it was stored in pen drive which couldn't be accessed via smartphone. Some words are written in hindi just only to perceive things in a much better way. It had been prepared after consulting mainly the most authorirative source which is none other than the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, apart from some other reliable UPSC specific guidance sources.

Got more clarity
    PSIR
  • Candid said:

Got more clarity
    Thanx
    PSIR
  • Candid said:

Got more clarity
    Thanx
    :)
  • Candid said:

this handwriting is so archaic

nothing personal dude..and also not judging..... just saying
    :)
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google