Indian Forest Service 2018 Results are out! ForumIAS Academy Students Secure Rank 1, 2, 3 ! Congratulations to all!
Current Affairs Classes for IAS Interview Students 2018 ForumIAS will be holding Current Affairs Classes for Interview Students on Saturday and Sunday at 5PM, Feb 9 & 10.

Strategy for Geography optional for a working aspirant

Hello friends and Seniors,
I am a working aspirant and want to opt Geography as optional.
Considering the limited amount of time that I have got.
What should be the specific strategy for Geography?
As of now I have planned to go topic wise ncerts 6-12 then standard books.
Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
"मां कर्मफलहेतुर्भू: मांते संङगोस्त्वकर्मणि"
2019- 1st Attempt
Geography

Comments

• Seeking advice from Seniors those who have made it to services and also from peers.
    2019- 1st Attempt
    Geography
  • Do the previous years questions (last 15 -20 years, there's a direction ias pdf available) topic wise along with the studies. That will help you gain experience on the kind of questions asked . The static part of the syllabus sees a lot of topics on repeat, especially climatology and oceanography (from Part A) and models and theories, population and settlement geo (from Part B)
    Prelims - 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Mains - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Interview - 2016 | 2017 | 2018
    Final list - X
  • @D_Escapist
    Go as per the Syllabus, Unit by Unit.
    First step complete all the NCERTs of 11th and 12th(all 4).

Then
    Start from Geomorphology,
    Write all the topics mentioned in the syllabus and prepare them individually.
    I hope you have Savindra Singh for Geo-morphology and his broader Physical Geography Book. Mark all the topics which are mentioned in the Syllabus and read from these two books. If you are not able to understand, search youtube for that topic.
    This way, make your own notes for each topic.
    Prepare answers for all the PYQs in this Unit (search online for their answers).

Then Buy some Test Series from the Market. eg. Neetu Singh, Vision or Guidance and see what questions are extra in them and how have they been answered.

Repeat the same for each Unit.
    If you are able to complete 1 Unit in 10-15 Days, you will require about 5 months minimum to study and consolidate the required material(given the requirements for GS studies as well)!

Remember, do not expect to know all things conceptual or strategic in one go. Make mistakes and learn from it.

Lastly, watch some toppers videos of Geography and do required course corrections as and when you complete some portion.

Good luck!
  • Hello friends and Seniors,
    Thanks

First and foremost thing complete these books and by heart them :-
    (1) Class 11 NCERTs - Both physical and human geography
    (2) Class 12 NCERT India physical and people and economy one.
    (3) GC Leong especially landforms related part and if possible climatic regions of the world
    Then move on to standard books. Here my advice would be not to start with Geomorphology as it's huge topic and might take you very long time. Complete Climatology, Oceanography, Biogeography, Environmental Geography first from standard books as these topics will help you directly in prelims. Then move on to human geography part for this I will advise you to get shabbir sir notes from market and read them properly (suggesting this because time is less and shabbir sir notes are more than enough for this topic). While preparing above-mentioned topics prepare Indian geography equivalent topics simultaneously for example while studying Climatology also prepare Indian climate and related part.
  • Geo le hi ku rahe ho bhai....kah ke leta hai ye optional! Overcrowded hai...unstable hai..mains ke time revision karna difficult hota hai...pernl opinion..
    KARMASUTRA,
    (n).when fate f**ks you all sorts of creative ways...
  • Mat le Geo. Naukri bhi na hogi na padhai.
  • raj87 said:

Geo le hi ku rahe ho bhai....kah ke leta hai ye optional! Overcrowded hai...unstable hai..mains ke time revision karna difficult hota hai...pernl opinion..

True... +1 to ur prsnl opinion..
  • Hello friends and Seniors,
    Thanks

Don't take geo optional...believe me it's one of the toughest optional in UPSC
  • @onepointfive @user_indica @Dead Man
    Thank you so much for taking out your time to reply.
    @raj87 @jay23 @Sandydubs_ @sarkarinaukar
    Thanks for the motivation.
    2019- 1st Attempt
    Geography
  • guys i have changed my optional from geography to psychology.
    so i have geography notes with me of neetu singh mam, guidance, and few books.
    i am wishing to sell it.
    if anyone interested pls contact me
    Gaurav Borse
    +91-8554870986
    gauravborse14@gmail.com
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google