Current Affairs for Prelims 2019 | Online | Offline | 25th March@5PM
Course is available in both Online & Offline Mode.
Join Online Classes | Join Offline Classes | Click here to know more
We are hiring!

Indian foreign service as first preference : interview help

If someone plans or has in past given interview with ifs as top preference, what are the key pointers to be kept in mind and any other possible guidelines.

Comments

• I think just be well versed with geopolitics of the world. Is there any nice book?
    Worst things in life come free to us - ed Sheeran.

(Pokertilt101)
  • I think just be well versed with geopolitics of the world. Is there any nice book?

Geopolitics changes everyday these days so books dont capture that, however recent Book by Shyam saran (How india sees the world) is a good one.
  • Don't delve much into books,. Rather IDSA and ORF + columnists like H. Jacob, C Raja Mohan, Suhasini Haider etc+ RSTV debates on Foreign Policy, would help much more.
  • Don't delve much into books,. Rather IDSA and ORF + columnists like H. Jacob, C Raja Mohan, Suhasini Haider etc+ RSTV debates on Foreign Policy, would help much more.

right !!
  • edited December 2018

Don't delve much into books,. Rather IDSA and ORF + columnists like H. Jacob, C Raja Mohan, Suhasini Haider etc+ RSTV debates on Foreign Policy, would help much more.

I've read all the others regularly, what are idsa and orf?

(Pokertilt101)

Institute for defence studies and analyses and observor research foundation.

I would also recommend reading articles from the diplomat on a regular basis.
    Rank 267 - CSE 2017
    Indian Revenue Service - IT

think tank
    observer research foundation
    institute for defence studies and analyses

इंजीनियर का बेटा

Sir what about caspian report, now this world, visualpolitik @Arsenal752

इंजीनियर का बेटा

• edited December 2018

Don't delve much into books,. Rather IDSA and ORF + columnists like H. Jacob, C Raja Mohan, Suhasini Haider etc+ RSTV debates on Foreign Policy, would help much more.

I personally restricted myself to the diplomat, idsa and orf bhai (that too I did not read them religiously, just a few articles). But feel free to read from multiple sources, interview is the one stage where varying opinions and wide reading really comes handy.

One more source I referred to was YouTube videos by vox. They are very short and can help us to get a decent idea about happenings around the world.

Also, have a look at some of the interview transcripts from last year and try to find out interviews where foreign policy related questions were asked and try to prepare yourself to face similar questions. More often than not they don't go too deep so don't worry so much.
    Rank 267 - CSE 2017

I personally restricted myself to the diplomat, idsa and orf bhai (that too I did not read them religiously, just a few articles). But feel free to read from multiple sources, interview is the one stage where varying opinions and wide reading really comes handy.

One more source I referred to was YouTube videos by vox. They are very short and can help us to get a decent idea about happenings around the world.

Also, have a look at some of the interview transcripts from last year and try to find out interviews where foreign policy related questions were asked and try to prepare yourself to face similar questions. More often than not they don't go too deep so don't worry so much.
    sure sir
    aapne abhi mains diya kya (maine nahi diya)
    1 more thing I find those three channel far better then vox, and adding 1 more monocle 24 the foreign desk podcast : )))))
    I find visiting idsa and orf and searching for relevant content a laborious task, so kya koi easy solution any compilation u recommend :) o:)

इंजीनियर का बेटा

sure sir
    1 more thing I find those three channel far better then vox, and adding 1 more monocle 24 the foreign desk podcast : )))))
    I find visiting idsa and orf and searching for relevant content a laborious task, so kya koi easy solution any compilation u recommend :) o:)
    For mains, vision materials + Hindu regular articles (they cover all imp issues throughout) are sufficient.
    But for PT, we have enough time to do 'laborious' tasks, as it helps in better understanding of the issues - without which counter questions can't be tackled properly.
    Btw IDSA comments section is very easy to navigate.
  • I was asked IR questions from 3 different members in the board related to different areas. Indo-nepal, Sri Lanka, and Indo-Africa.
    Even though I didn't have Foreign service in priority.
    So yes, IR questions itself constitute important part to prepare, moreso if IFS is first choice
  • edited December 2018

sure sir
    Haan bhai iss Baar mains diya hai but won't give prelims in 2019. I'm joining service after 12 days and not taking EOL, so 2018 is my final stand. Mains wasn't that great though.

And nice sources bro. Although in my opinion compilation ka koi need nahi unless one has psir optional. I don't have psir so I don't go too deep. Just the basics should suffice.

But then again it depends on how carefully you can manage the interview board, I don't have any issues saying 'i don't know' so I don't worry too much about not knowing too many things.

Also like @Aspirant1212 said, vision and hindu will be enough for pre and mains. Interview preparation is a different ballgame altogether, so don't think about too many sources if you're not giving interview this year.
    Rank 267 - CSE 2017

sure sir
    For mains, vision materials + Hindu regular articles (they cover all imp issues throughout) are sufficient.
    But for PT, we have enough time to do 'laborious' tasks, as it helps in better understanding of the issues - without which counter questions can't be tackled properly.
    to be honest, I have not visited idsa orf website since last year Oct and yes I do read vision material and I E , and do feel kee it is enough for upsc
    but following world affairs is my hobby yaar , tabhi toh itna likha. sure ab visit karke dekhunga. What I find laborious - matter read karna. video and podcast ko dekh and sunn kar crux note kar leta hun.
    vo easy lagta h :p :p

इंजीनियर का बेटा

sure sir
    to be honest, I have not visited idsa orf website since last year Oct and yes I do read vision material and I E , and do feel kee it is enough for upsc
    but following world affairs is my hobby yaar , tabhi toh itna likha. sure ab visit karke dekhunga. What I find laborious - matter read karna. video and podcast ko dekh and sunn kar crux note kar leta hun.
    Accha hobby hai bhai. :smiley:
    I'll check out these podcasts.
    Rank 267 - CSE 2017
  • I was asked IR questions from 3 different members in the board related to different areas. Indo-nepal, Sri Lanka, and Indo-Africa.
    So yes, IR questions itself constitute important part to prepare, moreso if IFS is first choice

ifs is my 1st choice, so aap ko thoday time baad bother karunga
    atb

इंजीनियर का बेटा

sure sir
    Accha hobby hai bhai. :smiley:
    I'll check out these podcasts.
    Sir aapko bhi bother karunga and aapko bhi atb :p
    ps- service kaunsi allot hui h.

इंजीनियर का बेटा

ifs is my 1st choice, so aap ko thoday time baad bother karunga
    atb
    Thanks bro.. bilkul :)
    And interest to mera bhi hai, but it is narrow as I read India specific FP more (Mostly prefer non-fiction books)and skip global issues unrelated to us.
    If you have psir then your hobby will be very beneficial for P2. :)
  • apart the knowledge part, can someone throw some light on personality needed for IFS ?
  • edited December 2018

इंजीनियर का बेटा

• darshan said:

apart the knowledge part, can someone throw some light on personality needed for IFS ?

In my observations and perspective, I would say calm, dignified conduct and trustworthy behaviour and not faking it.

Thanks bro, saw you after a long time (pokertilt101 here)

(Pokertilt101)

think tank
    observer research foundation
    institute for defence studies and analyses
    Thanks bro

(Pokertilt101)

yea thats my questions how to handle things like OLQ vaha pe. like what are the subtle things we should be aware of.
  • I’m a single child.. both my parents are working.. I’m in a confusion whether to put IAS or IFS as first preference.. of late I’ve gained more interest in diplomacy. However, I’m concerned about staying away for longtime from parents. Is there anyone who’s a single child and is doing well in IFS.. I just wanna know if I’ll be able to manage.. kindly help me with this :)
    CSE 2017- P,M,I
    CSE 2018- P,M,I*
  • diplomato said:

I’m a single child.. both my parents are working.. I’m in a confusion whether to put IAS or IFS as first preference.. of late I’ve gained more interest in diplomacy. However, I’m concerned about staying away for longtime from parents. Is there anyone who’s a single child and is doing well in IFS.. I just wanna know if I’ll be able to manage.. kindly help me with this :)

IFS -You can take parents along. But they will not be diplomatic passport holders and will have to be on visas. And moreover you have to keep shifting say every 3 years.
    Or you may come on deputation to delhi or RPOs. But if parents are cool and adaptable it will be fine. Also. Pay is higher when abroad, so taking care of medical needs of parents easier. Air travel is easier these days, so u can visit frequently subject to you getting holidays.

IAS-if cadres nearby home then good. Otherwise similar problems like distance prevail. Moreover getting leaves as DM or S P is tougher.
  • All said and done, taking care of parents will depend more on personal life ,your spouse and family you create more than professional life.
    Make your decision after proper thought and if you want to take care of your parents, nothing can stop you.
  • ab94 said:

All said and done, taking care of parents will depend more on personal life ,your spouse and family you create more than professional life.
    Make your decision after proper thought and if you want to take care of your parents, nothing can stop you.

if parents are dependent, u can take parents with u too. i think there is some provision in this regard.
  • edited December 2018
    darshan said:

ab94 said:

All said and done, taking care of parents will depend more on personal life ,your spouse and family you create more than professional life.

if parents are dependent, u can take parents with u too. i think there is some provision in this regArd
    Yes I checked on this. I stand corrected regarding dependant parents.

https://www.quora.com/Can-an-IFS-officer-take-his-dependent-parents-with-him-on-foreign-postings-and-settle-a-new-family-there
  • Thank you :)
    CSE 2017- P,M,I
    CSE 2018- P,M,I*
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google