All India Open Prelims Simulator Test X
on 22nd May, 2019 CLICK HERE to know more and apply
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

Looking for starting guidance for anthropology

I want to prepare for CSE 2020. Though I have just started my preparation so 2019 attempt doesn't come with lot of expectations.
I am yet to decide among Anthropology/sociology/geography. Looking at the syllabus I am thinking to giving an initial read to anthropology first and see if I can handle the optional.
I gone through various strategies but I don't know where to start. Someone on unacademy said Braintree Material covers almost everything. So would it be ideal to start with Braintree or do you suggest something different.

I am looking forward to genuine suggestions from people who have actually studied the optional and can help.

I will have to self prepare as I can't afford coaching.

Please guide me.
Thanks.

Comments

• It's Okay, if you can't afford coaching at this position but at least, you can practice from free sources and answer writing is really important because at every point, you are judged according to the questions you attempt , how you attempt because you don't come in direct contact to impress with your personality. Your words speak louder in this scenario. So read, write and improve your answer writing skills with anthropology optional on https://neostencil.com/upsc-answer-writing-practice-anthropology . You can try other answer writing practice links too !
  • Maybe you can frame a few specific questions. So that we know what exactly is it that you want help with?
    The books?
    How the subject is overall?

It'll be easier to answer then
    Wololo.
  • Request ppl who have taken this mains with anthro optional to come up with their results, so that we can get a rough idea about how this optional has performed this time.
  • bloo said:

Maybe you can frame a few specific questions. So that we know what exactly is it that you want help with?
    The books?

1. Can it be covered in 5 months with 2 hrs(quality) of input on weekdays and 5 hours on Sunday in order to produce good answers(considering one does answer writing once a week) in Mains? (Engg graduate with no interest in Bio)
    2. From where to start Amber as suggested by Anudeep Sir it from somewhere else? (Have already gone through Seniors videos couldn't understand)
    3. Is there any trusted test series for thorough evaluation?
    4. What portion of the syllabus is covered in Physical anthropology?
    5. Does it require lot of cramming?
    6. Specific strategy for a working aspirant with sources? (Can't afford to waste time in consolidating subject matter)
    "मां कर्मफलहेतुर्भू: मांते संङगोस्त्वकर्मणि"
    2019- 1st Attempt
    Geography
  • bloo said:

Maybe you can frame a few specific questions. So that we know what exactly is it that you want help with?
    The books?

1. Can it be covered in 5 months with 2 hrs(quality) of input on weekdays and 5 hours on Sunday in order to produce good answers(considering one does answer writing once a week) in Mains? (Engg graduate with no interest in Bio)
    2. From where to start Amber as suggested by Anudeep Sir it from somewhere else? (Have already gone through Seniors videos couldn't understand)
    6. Specific strategy for a working aspirant with sources? (Can't afford to waste time in consolidating subject matter)
    1. If you go by hearsay evidence and only study Braintree, yes. If you want to appear the exam Ram Bharose, yes.
    2. Ember, its best if you can go through all chapters. But its best if u start with thought, do look into herrimans videos on YouTube, then go 4 books.Braintree is a NO GO here
    3. Lots. Trusted? Dunno
    4. Take up Pnath. You yourself will get an idea of all that u have to study. Which is almost the entire book.
    5. No. Except archaeology part and certain parts of genetics.
    6. Nadeem hasnain (all 3 books), makhan jha, ember, the Hindu, collected essays by mn srinivas, ghurye caste and race in india. This year I will also study scupin and go through haviland. Lets see.
  • bloo said:

The books?

1. If you go by hearsay evidence and only study Braintree, yes. If you want to appear the exam Ram Bharose, yes.
    2. Ember, its best if you can go through all chapters. But its best if u start with thought, do look into herrimans videos on YouTube, then go 4 books.Braintree is a NO GO here
    3. Lots. Trusted? Dunno
    4. Take up Pnath. You yourself will get an idea of all that u have to study. Which is almost the entire book.
    5. No. Except archaeology part and certain parts of genetics.
    6. Nadeem hasnain (all 3 books), makhan jha, ember, the Hindu, collected essays by mn srinivas, ghurye caste and race in india. This year I will also study scupin and go through haviland. Lets see.
    Thanks check on
    "मां कर्मफलहेतुर्भू: मांते संङगोस्त्वकर्मणि"
    2019- 1st Attempt
    Geography
  • In case if you can afford to buy vision lectures ongoing course for anthropology, contact me beprecisenclear@gmail.com
  • I want to prepare for CSE 2020. Though I have just started my preparation so 2019 attempt doesn't come with lot of expectations.
    I am yet to decide among Anthropology/sociology/geography. Looking at the syllabus I am thinking to giving an initial read to anthropology first and see if I can handle the optional.
    I gone through various strategies but I don't know where to start. Someone on unacademy said Braintree Material covers almost everything. So would it be ideal to start with Braintree or do you suggest something different.

I am looking forward to genuine suggestions from people who have actually studied the optional and can help.

I will have to self prepare as I can't afford coaching.

Please guide me.
    Thanks.

Read this blog for Anthropology strategy for beginners https://neostencil.com/a-complete-strategy-anthropology-upsc
  • Need a serious student for anthro. Guidance and discussion.
  • I'm thinking of purchasing 5 books actually
    1. anthropology simplified
    2. brain tree material
    3. physical anthropology - P Nath
    4. Indian anthropology - nadeem hasnain
    5. tribal anthropology - nadeem hasnain

I think these sources are more than enough to cover the syllabus with wide coverage and quality.
    what you all think ?
  • Any senior person ,please enlighten us with the pros and cons of anthropology and best coaching classes for it!
  • saumya123 said:

Any senior person ,please enlighten us with the pros and cons of anthropology and best coaching classes for it!

and what was the performance of anthro in this year's main ?
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google