Is UPSC CSE this easy?

Thisbyear Rank 61. Had an altogether different approach towards this exam. This was his 1st mains. Dont know how much is true.

His fb link
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000242341604

Hardworking Human:
#GratitudeTime (E1 of the series , read time 3.8 min..flow : Non smooth)

****Coaching (Online/Offline)/ Books ***

In my first real attempt , In my first ever mains and Interview, with God being the real guide, I could bring a smile on the face of my family.

Time I used to get to prepare : 1-2 hour on week days and 3-4 hours on weekend

UPSC AIR : 61

Is my selection a bluff -> No a very thought of , mentally- emotionally hard worked calculated risk and very very focused preparation ( high on productivity)

Total month I prepared : prelims -> 2.5 months
Mains -> 25 days
Interview -> 6 days

Job Nature : Investment Banking

Time job takes : 10-12 hours on avg (many a times last person in GPF team to leave the floor)

Mock Interviews : 0

Answer Writing : Wrote in total 5 answers in entire preparation, though I did mental answer writing which very few people do

Went to Delhi : No

Interview Date : Apr 17

Interview Board : Dr. Manoj Soni sir

Interview Nature : Stress interview (went for 55 minutes)

Optional : Pyschology

Main Passion : Long Short Trade Strategies ( Pair trading) and teaching / learning , Writing Stories, poems, taking Inspirational sessions, Trying to be a better Human Being, creator WYFY (With You For You campaign)

On weekends : used to teach underprivileged kids in Dharavi SSRVM , online teaching for RBI grade B exam after clearing it from Nov , Teaching IIT Kanpur students for placements for last 4 years , teaching DB freshers about cross desk functions and CFA

Last Year exams cleared : CFA L3 , RBI Grade B (AIR 49)

Newspaper read -> None ( no Hindu no Indian express nothing..I never had that luxury and I personally find the opinions of so called intellects many a times biased)

Books for UPSC read

Prelims : Manohar Pandey ( small book-> Arihant Publication)

Mains :

Static : No books ( no Lakshmikant, no Ramesh Singh), no NCERTs also sadly,

just one book fully (D Subbarao for GS4 -> ETHICS) and India Struggle for Independence ( half book completed)

Evernote note making -> Never

LSTV/RSTV -> None rather watched Dance + / Super Dancer 2and wrote an entire paragraph in Essay on that :)..Also helped me to connect with school kids

Total pages of notes made : In total 52 (GS1-2-3) / GS4 ->28 , for my optional Psychology -> 2 small copies (51 pages)

Reason : Time constraint - The most important transition in office was happening at a time when Mains were just 20 days away !!

Do I regret -> well if I had time i had bought gist of NCERTs to read

What worked for me : An out of box plan for MAINS...just went with a all together new approach, Positive momentum before mains that I was a topper in SST in my school so i can do it !!

What could have been better : My Interview

Final analysis : Post marksheet

Coaching

OFFLINE -> None for mains / interview

ONLINE -> None for mains / interview

Test series for Mains : Joined none , saw Q of Vision IAS, did not have time to write)

Test series for Prelims -> Insights ( Full Pre test series) -> Found it very useful :) , Vision IAS (open Mock tests)

For RBI -> Pre (EduTap full test ) and level 2 (Edutap material)-> I was unaware of syllabus of RBI , hence needed something to know -> In total I prepared for RBI -> 5 Days for Pre, 7 for Mains and 2 for Interview)

However even being not a student of any of them ,

I found everyone very useful (free of cost materials)

Insights -> SECURE is LEGENDARY (took a print out of last 7 months when I had 14 days remaining for mains..It helped me immensely). This is the only website I open

I read a lot of topper's talk on INSIGHTS to understand if I don't belong to that level..I found I can be there...I will share my story this year and God has provided that opportunity

D BALAJI article is mind blowing in Insights!!

Nutshell -> Insights on India is the most hardworking team I can think of..

Vision-> The monthly free magazine and the Economic Survey gist ( Brilliant again) -> Read this for 7 months I had in preparation with honesty

VisionIAS is also a very very good platform if people want to read things for free.

Also in interviee he eas advised to seekna counsellor after it. Yet got 201 marks.

Kya hain ye UPSC. Mazaak lag raha hain ab sab.

Comments

• edited May 2018
  • Arrey usne to bahut kuch padh lia, 5 saal pahle ek rank 2 (venky wala) said "I just read The Hindu and nothing else" :lol:
  • yeah some facts are defo correct like IB job is a min 12 hr workday.He did clear RBI grade B and CFA.Perhaps he is a genius as he has also topped from psychology with 20 day prep only 10 hrs every day.He shared the strategy in psycho telegram grp plus quora.
    History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
  • edited May 2018
    arre he is IIT grad , upr se top bank me kaam , and moreover CFA , RBI cracked , he would be(is) exceptionally talented , things come easily to him ( humari trh ni ki revisions pe revisions , fir b confused). and he is able to put it in perspective , i know him well , i tried connecting him to @Neyawn sir , pr it didn't worked out .
    HUSTLE
  • edited May 2018
    These guys(Rank 61 in this case) ignore the fact that they have spent years perfecting the art of learning.
    Same applies to Roman Saini and Gaurav Agrawal. They like studying like anything and if they sit with the books, it's hard to separate them.

They can digest humongous amount of information and process it in a very short span of time. They are in this competitive phase of mind for years before even attempting this exam. It's a different ball game for them.

If a who guy who has been average throughout his academics tries this method, he will spoil his career let alone become an IAS.

Write ups like these should come with a disclaimer : For geniuses only.

But nevertheless, we should get inspired by such people and try to be like them ultimately.

IASmocks.com - A Game Changer For Prelims 2019.
  • Shad said:

Arrey usne to bahut kuch padh lia, 5 saal pahle ek rank 2 (venky wala) said "I just read The Hindu and nothing else" :lol:

Manish sharma tha woh I rem had just started by upsc prep.Bahut bada feku nikla since I thought itna easy hai
  • pizzza said:

These guys(Rank 61 in this case) ignore the fact that they have spent years perfecting the art of learning.
    Same applies to Roman Saini and Gaurav Agrawal. They like studying like anything and if they sit with the books, it's hard to separate them.

They can digest humongous amount of information and process it in a very short span of time. They are in this competitive phase of mind for years before even attempting this exam. It's a different ball game for them.

If a who guy who has been average throughout his academics tries this method, he will spoil his career let alone become an IAS.

Write ups like these should come with a disclaimer : For geniuses only.

But nevertheless, we should get inspired by such people and try to be like them ultimately.

+1 kudos to his strategy. But I refuted to follow his mains strategy just after watching his video.

It will not work for me.
    Astrology ,stand up comedy
    Love to make memes,
  • Shad said:

Arrey usne to bahut kuch padh lia, 5 saal pahle ek rank 2 (venky wala) said "I just read The Hindu and nothing else" :lol:

Manish sharma tha woh I rem had just started by upsc prep.Bahut bada feku nikla since I thought itna easy hai
    btw there is lot one can gain from his videos at youtube ( just have a look) , he does play with his own rules and that works for him ( i would say he is gifted)
    HUSTLE
  • Shad said:

btw there is lot one can gain from his videos at youtube ( just have a look) , he does play with his own rules and that works for him ( i would say he is gifted)
    The word gifted often undermines the hard-work they have put in their youth, while we were still busy exploring youth.
    They are extremely hard working and diligent.

• edited May 2018
    pizzza said:

Shad said:

The word gifted often undermines the hard-work they have put in their youth, while we were still busy exploring youth.
    true. but that doesnt mean we cant take away some good things from him . his videos are very diff then what other toppers would tell ( raw , friendly , direct)
    HUSTLE
  • Padha nhi to itne books ke bare me use kese malum chala..kisi tme wo jarur padh rha tha un sab books ko, magar sayad is saal nhi..
    T ↑ [0→1] = T ↓ [1→infinity]
  • edited May 2018

pizzza said:

Shad said:

true. but that doesnt mean we cant take away some good things from him . his videos are very diff then what other toppers would tell ( raw , friendly , direct)
    lol, i already told they are inspiring, we definitely have a lot to learn from them.
    I wrote the above because it reminded me of Rohit Sharma.
    He once said in an interview, "Everyone calls me gifted, talented, lazy elegance and what not, it really makes me feel annoyed because they have zero idea about how much work i put in for my game".

• what people forget is this was his second attempt meaning he had a fair idea of prelims before as well.For mains he has mentioned that his static notes were prepared and he focused more on revision rather than new things(something which he thanks psychology optional for-memory mgmt is a real thing).Apart from that he had cleared CFA so RBI fin which is toughest part is done.Pretty sure he excelled in time mgmt and resource optimization something all of us can learn from.
  • Padha nhi to itne books ke bare me use kese malum chala..kisi tme wo jarur padh rha tha un sab books ko, magar sayad is saal nhi..

i think is brother was/is preparing for upsc too
    HUSTLE
  • Liar Liar, Pants on fire!

yes psycho optional hai uska bhi so it must have helped both.That's why he could finish an entire optional in 20 days.I'm not sure even a lit or anthro optnl as well could be done in such less time.

yes, he is.
  • edited May 2018

Padha nhi to itne books ke bare me use kese malum chala..kisi tme wo jarur padh rha tha un sab books ko, magar sayad is saal nhi..

yes psycho optional hai uska bhi so it must have helped both.That's why he could finish an entire optional in 20 days.I'm not sure even a lit or anthro optnl as well could be done in such less time.
    i have asked him to post something here to put things in perspective . he will till evening if he gets time ( you can see his YouTube videos , if one has time) ( he is presently covering schemes/CA there : named it PURA)
    HUSTLE
  • he is hard working and helpful no doubt about it. abhi when all the toppers are chilling out, he is busy preparing notes for people giving pre this year.
  • His style of videos is scaring me. Kahi ye Roman Saini - 2 na ban jaaye
  • I know I shouldn't be saying this
    But guys like him make me regret my existence.
    Anyway kudos to manish sir. Hell of a hardworking and smart guy.
    संशयात्मा विनश्यति

i have asked him to post something here to put things in perspective . he will till evening if he gets time ( you can see his YouTube videos , if one has time) ( he is presently covering schemes/CA there : named it PURA)
    :)
    Astrology ,stand up comedy
    Love to make memes,
  • Zigong said:

I know I shouldn't be saying this
    But guys like him make me regret my existence.
    Anyway kudos to manish sir. Hell of a hardworking and smart guy.

+69
  • Can someone upload his notes here?
  • I have posted link above of his youtube videos ( u need to search his fb group for notes)
    HUSTLE
  • but how do ppl atleast remeber articles or write answers in polity without having a read in laxmikanth ?? is it really possible ??

I have not seen such an open statement.. He may be from IIT, RBI, CFA and he is talented I accept. but still..

DOn't quIT :)

Working Professional
    2019 - 1st attempt
  • dpagarwal said:

His style of videos is scaring me. Kahi ye Roman Saini - 2 na ban jaaye
    :lol: :lol:
  • edited May 2018
    His comment after interview.

Actually my CSE 2017 interview did not go well as per the expectation, it became Very weird with strange Q and nothing From DAF (the form we fill)

Q like what is your take on live in relation, do you know any law for them.. Ye to 2015 me News me tha

What are the problems of Andaman Nicobar

Where do you see after 30 years (itna maine aaj tak socha bhi nahi tha)

AND many like that

Any case I dont want to upload the transcript before the results

Ab to upar wale ke hath me hai..Agar ache kaam dil se kiye hain to wo kuch naa kuch karenge hi... Warna jo hoga achhe ke liye hi hoga upar wale ka faisla. Khair thoda parivaar me dukh hai.. Isliye I just wanted to know the time of exam of RBI

And yes since so many of you gave me support even in worst of times Thanks a lot, kuch nahi to padh ke to achha laga ki kamsekam interview board naa samjh paya gravity of Work, kuch to achhe dost hain

Also yes I Have not joined RBI and there are multiple reasons of the same which unfortunately I cant discuss. It was never that I did not want to join but there happened things which looked wrong to me.

So I will always help my friends in preparing and will keep my learning curve intact

Par andar se abhi bahut dukhi hun :'( I just could not carry the weight of my family, my loved ones in that room...

Baaki usi ussool se fir mehnat me lagna hoga ki

If we dont leave the dead/past behind, the dead/past will always live with us

I would urge all of you not to comment on this post. I know there is a lot which people want to say but now I have learnt sometimes silence helps

Ye dil tuta to sahi hai Par ummeed ka daaman chuta to nahi hai
  • For prelims he studied Manohar pandey arihant book.

Screenshot_2018-05-23-16-55-59-890_com.facebook.katana.png
    1080 x 1920 - 263K
    Screenshot_2018-05-23-16-55-48-081_com.facebook.katana.png
    1080 x 1920 - 600K
Sign In or Join to comment.

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google