Shifting to Delhi this June , please help me with some specifics....

I have never been to Delhi before that's why I have no idea about the environment there.. I have few queries and no one to answer them.. Please help.
1) Most preferable area to shift ? ( in terms of crowd , food , distance from coachings , libraries etc)
2) should I rent a cheap room and spend more time in library or rent a decent room.
3) Things to keep in mind before shifting..

Please help...

Comments

• I have never been to Delhi before that's why I have no idea about the environment there.. I have few queries and no one to answer them.. Please help.
    1) Most preferable area to shift ? ( in terms of crowd , food , distance from coachings , libraries etc)
    2) should I rent a cheap room and spend more time in library or rent a decent room.

Please help...

1. ORN.
    2. Former.
    3. Too many to type.
  • I have never been to Delhi before that's why I have no idea about the environment there.. I have few queries and no one to answer them.. Please help.

Please help...

The most preferable area is Old Rajinder Nagar.Rents here could be from 18K to 15K depending on the kind of room you take.

In case you think it is expensive, you can live anywhere along the Metro so that you can commute easily to ORN.

This would mean living in Shadipur, Patel Nagar, Karol Bagh etc.

1) You also have the choice of New Rajendra Nagar. It is geographically close, but due to lack of public transport, it may end up being far. Also the rents are no lesser than ORN. There is peace, but the tranquility is mostly because of extremely wealthy people, who are also very old, not allowing any youth activity in the area. They have more medicine shops than bookshops. No hustle and bustle, but if you like the quiet, its good for you. Just an opinion.

2) Will be your call. If you can study in the library, then you can rent a cheap room, or even share a room. But then, you must stick the library, or you become the guy who runs the household for the roommate / flatmate and receives courier whilst others are in class/ library.

3) That you study. And take coaching*. Find out the best classes, and take them. Everybody will tell you bad about every coaching that you will conceive of - including reputed ones such as Vajiram and Vision. You will have to take a call on that one, and choose your classes/ courses wisely. ORN does offer some good teachers and good courses - and you must take them. I have invariably seen that people who do self study and are not from (a) good colleges OR (b) good peer group OR (c) have wrong guidance in first year in Delhi are permanently weak in their fundamentals and it becomes very difficult for them to improve later. So join good classes, where you will meet competitive and competent people - and have completely purpose driven friends / colleagues / groups . By purpose I mean exam purpose. ( This does not mean that you keep stalking people. This simply means, if you study well, you will automatically attract like minded people who study well , and vice versa. )

Lastly, dont make friends with your flatmates. Instead, have your peer group outside your flat. Will save you some time/months/ years.

*After getting selected every candidate says that I did not do any coaching. I meet these candidates before they become officers and they do take coaching - which can range from classes to test series for Prelms and Mains. Hardly one out of 200 or 300 people have not banked on any coaching.

On the other hand, most of the people who are weak have not taken any classes. This happens because - when they came, they were too late for classes and cleared Prelims . So they studied for Mains without coaching ( because of lack of time ) If they do not make it , they are unable to have the patience to sit in the classes for long ( because they know like 40% - from self study , while - let us say - coaching teaches 70% - but because they know 40% , they are unable to sit in a class to know and learn the critical 30% . hence they are stuck in the low knowlegde base gap.)

Everytime, I ask a candidate, who has secured a rank, who takes "motivation" or "guidance" sessions, I tell them to be honest and call a spade to spade.

You can watch this video here, where Forum Member who secured Rank 2 last year in IFoS has said - Maine har ghat ka pani piya hai , in all honesty.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • Neyawn said:

I have never been to Delhi before that's why I have no idea about the environment there.. I have few queries and no one to answer them.. Please help.

Please help...

The most preferable area is Old Rajinder Nagar.Rents here could be from 18K to 15K depending on the kind of room you take.

In case you think it is expensive, you can live anywhere along the Metro so that you can commute easily to ORN.

1) You also have the choice of New Rajendra Nagar. It is geographically close, but due to lack of public transport, it may end up being far. Also the rents are no lesser than ORN. There is peace, but the tranquility is mostly because of extremely wealthy people, who are also very old, not allowing any youth activity in the area. They have more medicine shops than bookshops. No hustle and bustle, but if you like the quiet, its good for you. Just an opinion.

2) Will be your call. If you can study in the library, then you can rent a cheap room, or even share a room. But then, you must stick the library, or you become the guy who runs the household for the roommate / flatmate and receives courier whilst others are in class/ library.

3) That you study. And take coaching*. Find out the best classes, and take them. Everybody will tell you bad about every coaching that you will conceive of - including reputed ones such as Vajiram and Vision. You will have to take a call on that one, and choose your classes/ courses wisely. ORN does offer some good teachers and good courses - and you must take them. I have invariably seen that people who do self study and are not from (a) good colleges OR (b) good peer group OR (c) have wrong guidance in first year in Delhi are permanently weak in their fundamentals and it becomes very difficult for them to improve later. So join good classes, where you will meet competitive and competent people - and have completely purpose driven friends / colleagues / groups . By purpose I mean exam purpose. ( This does not mean that you keep stalking people. This simply means, if you study well, you will automatically attract like minded people who study well , and vice versa. )

Lastly, dont make friends with your flatmates. Instead, have your peer group outside your flat. Will save you some time/months/ years.

*After getting selected every candidate says that I did not do any coaching. I meet these candidates before they become officers and they do take coaching - which can range from classes to test series for Prelms and Mains. Hardly one out of 200 or 300 people have not banked on any coaching.

On the other hand, most of the people who are weak have not taken any classes. This happens because - when they came, they were too late for classes and cleared Prelims . So they studied for Mains without coaching ( because of lack of time ) If they do not make it , they are unable to have the patience to sit in the classes for long ( because they know like 40% - from self study , while - let us say - coaching teaches 70% - but because they know 40% , they are unable to sit in a class to know and learn the critical 30% . hence they are stuck in the low knowlegde base gap.)

Everytime, I ask a candidate, who has secured a rank, who takes "motivation" or "guidance" sessions, I tell them to be honest and call a spade to spade.

You can watch this video here, where Forum Member who secured Rank 2 last year in IFoS has said - Maine har ghat ka pani piya hai , in all honesty.
    Thank you for your detailed response sir... Thanks again..
  • Neyawn said:

Please help...

+1
    only if toppers were this honest when they give guidance to other aspirants
  • Beware of phone snatchers and thieves on road, park etc.
    Don't let paaniwala and tiffinwala to enter in your room.
    Don't interact with girls and bakchods.
    Make notes and read newspaper everyday.
    Take single room. Eat good and do excercise daily.
  • Neyawn said:

Please help...

@officerBaniya You are lucky. You got the best thing of this virtual world. Follow above said words verbatim.

Keep safe distance from opposite gender. :)
  • Beware of phone snatchers and thieves on road, park etc.
    Don't let paaniwala and tiffinwala to enter in your room.
    Don't interact with girls and bakchods.
    Make notes and read newspaper everyday.
    Take single room. Eat good and do excercise daily.

Thankyou.. till now everyone has suggested to take a single room and avoid a separate room in shared flat..

Please help...

कुछ बातें मैं भी कहना चाहूँगा

एक तो ये की फ़र्स्ट टाइमर्ज़ हमेशा ओल्ड कैंडिडेट्स को हेय दृष्टि से देखते हैं क्यूँकि उनका १-३ साल से सिलेक्शन नहीं हुआ है

प्लीज़ ऐसा मत करना । पुराने कैंडिडेट्स से कुछ सीख लेना । ये सच है बग़ैर सारे पुराने कैंडिडेट्स मिस्गाइड करते हैं क्यूँकि या तो उन्हें आता नहीं है या फिर वो सेल्फ़िश होते हैं ।

फिर भी पुराने लोगों से जो सीख सको वो सीख लो ।

और इस @Neyawn भाई को आँख बंद करके फ़ॉलो करना । काम से काम हज़ारों लोग इनके कारण ही आज सेवा में हैं ।

एक नोर्मल से थ्रेड जिससे लोग ट्रोल करते , मीनिंफ़ुल होंगाया है , इनकी वजह से ।

IAS की तैयारी मेहनत और गाइडेन्स के पिलर्ज़ पे टिकी होती है । फ़ोरम पे तुम्हें गाइडेन्स मिल जाएगा , लेकिन वो कहीं छुपा होगा , कभी कभी खोजने में टाइम लगता है लेकिन अंत में मिल जाता है ।

और दिल्ली जाओ तो १) पढ़ाई ख़ूब करना
    २) किताब और शिक्षा पे पैसे खर्चने से पीछे मत हटना , और शराब और opposite gender पर मत करना

३) कब समय में सर्जिकल स्ट्राइक करके निकल जाना ।

ऑल थे बेस्ट ।

-
    एक पुराना सदस्य और मॉडरेटर , जिसने कई साल पहले @root से लड़ाई की थी ताकि लोग हिंदी में अपने उत्तर टाइप कर सकें ।

Please help...

एक तो ये की फ़र्स्ट टाइमर्ज़ हमेशा ओल्ड कैंडिडेट्स को हेय दृष्टि से देखते हैं क्यूँकि उनका १-३ साल से सिलेक्शन नहीं हुआ है

प्लीज़ ऐसा मत करना । पुराने कैंडिडेट्स से कुछ सीख लेना । ये सच है बग़ैर सारे पुराने कैंडिडेट्स मिस्गाइड करते हैं क्यूँकि या तो उन्हें आता नहीं है या फिर वो सेल्फ़िश होते हैं ।

और इस @Neyawn भाई को आँख बंद करके फ़ॉलो करना । काम से काम हज़ारों लोग इनके कारण ही आज सेवा में हैं ।

IAS की तैयारी मेहनत और गाइडेन्स के पिलर्ज़ पे टिकी होती है । फ़ोरम पे तुम्हें गाइडेन्स मिल जाएगा , लेकिन वो कहीं छुपा होगा , कभी कभी खोजने में टाइम लगता है लेकिन अंत में मिल जाता है ।

२) किताब और शिक्षा पे पैसे खर्चने से पीछे मत हटना , और शराब और opposite gender पर मत करना

ऑल थे बेस्ट ।

-
    एक पुराना सदस्य और मॉडरेटर , जिसने कई साल पहले @root से लड़ाई की थी ताकि लोग हिंदी में अपने उत्तर टाइप कर सकें ।
    Thanks, but when you do that, you shift the burden of contributing good replies to one person .

Whatever I have said is a common fact that anyone who has lived in Delhi knows. I just penned it down.

I would be happier if you yourself contributed well, guiding new comers, given that you have cleared the exam yourself and are competent enough to do so.
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |

Please help...

ऑल थे बेस्ट ।

-
    theek hai sir... thank you madad ke liye...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog