MAINS 2018 QUESTION PAPER Download the Mains 2018 Question Papers by clicking here. Papers Uploaded : Essay 2018 | GS 1 | GS 2 | GS 3 | GS 4
Mains Guidance Program, 2019 | Commences 28th October 2018 | Admissions Open

Admissions for the Mains Guidance Program 2019 are open, commencing from October 28, 2018. Optional of taking up MGP or MGP+ , which includes Essay. Visit http://academy.forumias.com to know more.

Need help - Shifting to Delhi

edited July 2017 in Coaching & Websites
Hi guys, since two years I have been preparing on myself (in isolation) without any guidance (except ForumIAS and other sites). Not been able to clear prelims in previous two years. I have Geography Optional and gone through whole syllabus for two times. Failure in prelims for two times in a row made me feel like I might be missing some guidance and started to feel like to move to Delhi for 1 year especially to join optional coaching (shabbir sir) and offline pre test series. Is it wise to go to to Delhi at this point of time ? Finance not a big problem. Can afford to live for one year.
Please help. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gt2015 said:

Hi guys, since two years I have been preparing on myself (in isolation) without any guidance (except ForumIAS and other sites). Not been able to clear prelims in previous two years. I have Geography Optional and gone through whole syllabus for two times. Failure in prelims for two times in a row made me feel like I might be missing some guidance and started to feel like to move to Delhi for 1 year especially to join optional coaching (shabbir sir) and offline pre test series. Is it wise to go to to Delhi at this point of time ? Finance not a big problem. Can afford to live for one year.

Not a wise decision at all...
    prepare from your hometown..
    Except in case u have surplus bucks to swim with, u may come to Delhi.
    But for UPSC it's a BIG NO.
  • crez said:

gt2015 said:

Not a wise decision at all...
    prepare from your hometown..
    Except in case u have surplus bucks to swim with, u may come to Delhi.
    But for UPSC it's a BIG NO.
    Thanks for suggestion but problem is that I am preparing almost in isolation with no partners. That's why I am looking forward to shift to Delhi so as to get in touch with fellow aspirants and get some guidance.
  • Sometimes, taking coaching will give an entirely new dimension at understanding things. If finance is not a problem, try joining somewhere from August to December. I attended my state's coaching institution that helped me in clearing prelims last time and getting a good score this year. Interacting with your batch mates can also help in finding out what you are doing wrong.

But you have to be careful, choose only those people whom you feel are serious and knowledgeable for seeking advice. And don't get distracted by indulging in "crush/love affairs", useless and over the top debates like who will win US election, whether Trump will be good or bad for India. Use your after class time for preparing optionals, test series and revising what your already learned.

Take a decision on your gut feeling and stick to it. You can message me for more info.
    Prelims - 3 - 2015, 2016, 2017
    Mains - 2 - 2016, 2017
    Interview -1 - 2017
  • @gt2015 Friend.
    You must feel satisfied with your efforts and environment. This is something we have to cultivatge from within us, wherever we are, we have to stick to our targets and keep the preparation level up to the mark. Failure is not the end, it only closes the door for sometime. If we knock hard and keep on knocking it is surely going to open up!

I faced a similar situation 2 years back and came to Delhi but you see I am still here.
    Delhi is by no way essential to crack UPSC. Yahan bahaut "Shor" hai. There are n no. of people one interacts with and most of them invariably influence our daily schedule, our preparation trajectory. On the contrary I feel like moving out of this place to a peaceful atmosphere where I have only myself to guide me. I am saying this after having attended a few classes for my Optional (which is also Geog) and some Current Affairs classes, just to check out the competition.
    But I sincerely believe that mentor-ship may work for this exam but the need to go and sit in some class room or talk to so called "fellow" aspirants, who will not have the same past as yours, who will not have the same desire of public service as yours will not work for many us, I belong to this category and thus I want to point out to you.
    Having given 3 attempts, you very well know what it takes to become one. The material is out there, we just have to have patience and belief in ourselves.

I am not deterring you from coming to Delhi but I am pointing out that there will be unintended consequences of coming to this place, especially Old Rajender Nagar.
    Geography Optional.
  • Following this thread ..
  • gt2015 said:

Busy with mains preparation so, won't get say too much. I have been in the same situation, mentally. I am still preparing in isolation(I call it peace). Believe me if you are not one for group studies and like studying alone in a peaceful environment, don't think about Delhi.
    Sometimes when things are not going well, we start thinking about convenient excuses neglecting the true reasons of our failure. Probably, you are facing the same right now. It's all in the mind. If you are thinking that you are at disadvantage, you are sure to fail. Think about all the positive aspects of staying at home. Sure, there is an opportunity cost of staying at home but evaluate yourself and ask yourself what you value more. Would you like to forego the peace and control over your surroundings for some coaching class which you can as well attend online too and a group of aspirants around you with no certainty that they are serious and compatible enough to be of any help.
    But at the end of the day it will be your call. Be wise. Never allow your demons to dictate terms on you.
    P.S. Feel free to contact. Inbox me if you feel you could benifit from my experience with the same issue.
    Thanks bro I will definitely think over it. I think that failure in prelims making me feel like I might be missing something. Thanks for your valuable suggestions.
  • @gt2015 Friend.
    You must feel satisfied with your efforts and environment. This is something we have to cultivatge from within us, wherever we are, we have to stick to our targets and keep the preparation level up to the mark. Failure is not the end, it only closes the door for sometime. If we knock hard and keep on knocking it is surely going to open up!

I faced a similar situation 2 years back and came to Delhi but you see I am still here.
    Delhi is by no way essential to crack UPSC. Yahan bahaut "Shor" hai. There are n no. of people one interacts with and most of them invariably influence our daily schedule, our preparation trajectory. On the contrary I feel like moving out of this place to a peaceful atmosphere where I have only myself to guide me. I am saying this after having attended a few classes for my Optional (which is also Geog) and some Current Affairs classes, just to check out the competition.
    But I sincerely believe that mentor-ship may work for this exam but the need to go and sit in some class room or talk to so called "fellow" aspirants, who will not have the same past as yours, who will not have the same desire of public service as yours will not work for many us, I belong to this category and thus I want to point out to you.
    Having given 3 attempts, you very well know what it takes to become one. The material is out there, we just have to have patience and belief in ourselves.

I am not deterring you from coming to Delhi but I am pointing out that there will be unintended consequences of coming to this place, especially Old Rajender Nagar.

Thanks bro. I am not a group studying type of guy and usually studies on my own. I was thinking that shifting to Delhi would provide me with some UPSC type atmosphere and moreover attending optional (geography) classes will provide some value addition. But on the contrary all the things for which I was thinking about shifting to Delhi are available online. This failure in prelims making me feel like it's essential to go to Delhi. Thanks again for your help.
  • Shift only if you are to attend shabbirs classes for 3-4 months. You would have seen enough in that time period.

Otherwise, there is nothing much special in delhi, now that you have everything online. Forum does make up for old rajender nagar atmosphere/bakaiti if that is what you are after.

Waise, your geo is all right I think, better attend his pre- prelims test series in January. It would be cheaper and exhaustive. Tab tak revision maar lo bhai.
    Revolution 2020
  • gt2015 said:

See even I hav moved to Delhi. I felt lost in the prep. It's been one week. I feel it's good. Biggest mistake is after coaching left to home. Didn't cleared 3 times pre, wrote multiple exams, fell into depression. Comfort zone made me lazy. So if u want to come u may. There is no test series from Shabbir sir this yr. U can join guidance ias, m planning to enroll. Reviews are good. But it's scientific language. Need to work hard. They have synchronized syllab to 16 chapters from 20
  • Go to Delhi. Get coached. Good guidance is needed. :-)
  • 1. Always remember why're you here.
    2. Never forget why're you here.
    3. Avoid quarreling with landlord, flatmates, & house cleaning maid.
    4. Get rent agreement.
    5. Don't be a perfectionist during food and house hunting.
    6. Avoid roadside brokers.
    7. Try to avoid brokers altogether.
    8. Lock your room when you go out.
    9. Prefer a house where CCTV cameras are installed.
    10. Don't let drinking water bottle delivery guy enter your room. Pay him at the doorsteps itself, and bid him adieu. So should be the case with tiffin delivery guy, laundry guy and so on.
    11. Avoid places where the landlord is your flatmate.
    12. Don't let the landlord increase your rent 'fore 11 months are over. Rent agreement paper into his face.
    13. Join library if you can't study at room.
    14. Have an exit plan. Know that you're not supposed to be here lifelong.

I hope your exit from here will be full of happiness.
  • 1ManArmy said:

1. Always remember why're you here.
    4. Get rent agreement.
    10. Don't let drinking water bottle delivery guy enter your room. Pay him at the doorsteps itself, and bid him adieu. So should be the case with tiffin delivery guy, laundry guy and so on.
    12. Don't let the landlord increase your rent 'fore 11 months are over. Rent agreement paper into his face.

Well said <3
  • 1ManArmy said:

1. Always remember why're you here.
    4. Get rent agreement.

Well said bro and thanks for the tips
  • sir dont go to delhi if u dont need coaching...although im newbie bt i cn certainly tell u over this point frm experience of my seniors frm college(with proper struggle they r at good places)...people there also rely on online platform fr guidance..instead u can join 12hrs(as available) library in ur town and give tests fr mains through correspondance medium of reputed institute(as such vision)....or else fr optional if there is dire need u can give test during short stay at delhi and back to town....dont let delhi to be one of ur pretext..80s 90s m delhi was must...now it is jst fr satisfaction...successfuls candidate's profile can give u good insight ..bs sir lage rahiye with more zeal and hardwork

free to ignore this comment....thanks :)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog