‘Microbial toxins found in popular e-cigarettes’ In a first, NASA probe detects ‘marsquake’ on the Red Planet HC lifts ban on TikTok, but with a caveat IEPF Authority in a major success recovers Rs 1514 Cr of Depositors Money Madras High Court bats for extending legal abortion period upto 24 weeks
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims From 2011-18 | Read Here→

ForumIAS Academy Student Minal from Delhi University's St. Stephens Secures Rank 35 - First Batch of ForumIAS Foundation Program Click here to download her copies and notes
IMPORTANT: ForumIAS Discuss is now LIVE. You can visit it at discuss.forumias.com

We are hiring!

Confusion on the number of books required to be studied

Hello everyone,
My confusion is regarding the number of books to be studied for the exam.
Mostly what I have found out is successful aspirants suggesting us to stick to one book and read it 'n' number of times, rather studying 'N' number of books 1 time.

Another set of aspirants says- only one book is not enough for this exam and you have to refer multiple books( as this is upsc)

Now the confusion lies in what to follow.
Should I go ahead with 1 book and answer whatever I can with the knowledge gained from that book
Or
Go ahead with multiple sources, so that I don't miss anything.

Request the seniors to please clear this doubt of mine.

Comments

• what they mean is not single book but single SOURCE for single topic.
  • edited January 2016
    @Obaid Ansari then how can we distinguish between different books? As almost all of them have similar content.
    Eg: laxmikanth vs dd basu
    Khullar vs spectrum

These books have topics which are same.
    Then how to go about the topic wise approach.
  • laximikanth and dd bau both and spectrum alone is better than overhyped khullar
  • I think the utility of 'books' has definitely gone down. So is the invincibility of books like laxmikanth and spectrum (modern history ). It has all become dynamic. Although basics has to be built through ncerts.
  • edited January 2016
    Thanks a lot for your time and valuable inputs.
    For upsc a single book alone cannot help to sail through this exam and multiple books have the same content.
    Then how to deal with the syllabus?

Even for questions on static portion, we have to use multiple books. Then how to decide about which book to follow.

as an aspirant i might end up with savindra singh for geo rather than gc leong. As savindra has more content >> greater knowledge can be acquired through it.( beginners mindset?

How to go about it.
  • edited January 2016
    Savindra singh was just an example.
    And my query extends for all the subjects.
    as we can make our base strong atleast for static part.
    for dynamic part, its all up to upsc.

Please help to resolve this dilemma
  • Modern history-spectrum
    Polity-laxmikant plus newspaper
    Economy- Ncert 11,12 plus eco survey plus newspaper
    Science-6 to10th ncert
    Geo-6 to 12th ncert plus gc leong
    Ancient ,medieval history- 11th Ncert

Newspaper- Hindu for current,mrunal

MCQ-PRACTISE MAX from diff test series....

Repeat all these....No one can stop you frm clearing prelims if u can read reread them again and again....

Zindagi me Mazein lena seekho,

Waqt to tumhare Mazein leta hi rahega......
  • edited January 2016
    History ke liye Spectrum, NCERT books and AL Basham ( agar iccha ho to) ;

Geography ke liye NCERT books, Savinder Singh, GC Leong padhna hi hai ;

Environment Ecology ke liye jo bhi book aapke paas ho and random search on Internet..

Polity ke liye laxmikant and NCERT books ( both old and new ;

Economy ke liye Ramesh Singh wali book, Economic Survey,

Ye jo bhi books upar mention kari hai maine, more or less, in books ko to padhna hi hai bhai.....

Mera khud ka vyaktigat anubhav ye raha hai ki Ek book ko multiple times revise karne se kahin guna Better ye hai ki ---- kai saari books and resources ko refer kiya jaaye ( I know many people, many people will not agree with me but that's not an issue) kyonki aajkal jis tarah ke questions pooche jaa rahe hain, chahe wo Prelims ho yaa Mains ho, Syllabus mein kahin se kuch bhi pooche jaa rahe hain.... Means ab koi selective study ki Gunjaaish NAHI rahi UPSC CSE mein..... Yahaan ab aapko ek ek cheez, Choti ho yaa Badi ho, usko acche se cover karna hi hai....

Aur aisi paristhtityon mein, Ek book ko N number of times padhna koi bahut adhik faayde ka saudaa NAHI hoga....

Kai saare resources ( not necessarily books but they can be magazines, newspapers PDF files) refer karne se Revision ka thoda dikkat wala issue hoga.... Ye ekdum nischit hai.... To is samasyaa se nidaan paane ke liye behtar upaaya ye hai ki aap abhi se hi apni padhai bahut acche se shuru kar dijiye...... Taaki exam aate aate tak sab kuch aapka poori tarah se Revise ho chuka hoga..

Post Script: Views expressed are my personal.... I know "N "number of people will not agree with me....

Dhanyawaad..
  • apart from few ncerts....i have covered only one book till now i.e. laxmikanth polity which i did 4-5 times revision.....remaining books with me are bipan chandra's multiple books, spectrum geography, ramesh singh ,shashi tharoor and so on...out of which none of them are fully covered till now..... Everything of GS part is in the internet.......Join a test series or atleast buy xerox copies to practise...and keep practising thats all.....
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
  • I am not an expert. But if this can help you even in a little way . This is basically for the preliminary exam.
    For geography only ncerts + you tube videos.
    For modern history i read 3 books - nbt freedom struggle, spectrum, sumit sarkar. As i like modern history. And also the ncerts.But i think sumit sarkar helped me the most. I should have stuck to a single source. There were few direct questions from sumit sarkar in the preliminary exam.
    For polity - laxmikanth(revised umpteen times,cost - benefit ratio was too high for me).
    One must go through the bare constitution .

For environment- The hindu . Ecology( nios).
    Science and tech- only ncerts.

And the most important thing newspapers. I loved reading newspapers. Also maintained notes out of it . But stopped maintaining notes after august. Paid heavily in mains.

P.s. -This is what i did . It may not suit you.
  • I have a similar confusion . Currently I am focussed on the CAPF exam which also implies that I am preparing myself for the Pre exam atleast .

The confusion is that more than a few questions that were asked in the CAPF exam 2015 could NOT be answered on the basis of new NCERT class XII and Bipin Chandra's India's Struggle for Freedom .

E.g.
    One of the questions was ' Who translated Din Mitra's Neel Darpan into English ?'
    NCERT has no mention of Neel Darpan . Bipin Chandra tells that Neel Darpan is written by Din Mitra and portrays the suffering of indigo farmers .

Another question was about identifying various phases of Quit Indian Movement from the given options . NCERT and Bipin Chandra don't look at Quit India with that persepective . They don't explicity state the various phases . And in trying to think of it's from the characterstics and attributes of Quit India , we risk confusing attribute with a phase ( a phase and an attribute aren't always the same )

There was a question asking us to mark the place where Gandhiji used Hunger strike as a tool for the first time . Again NCERT and Bipin Chandra don't answer that . Gandhiji did satyagraha at several places post his appearance at sevral places . The books simply mention Gandhiji supported them , did satyagraha etc.

In the light of the above situation , should I use a third book ? If yes , which book would be a good supplement ?
  • @Warrior_within dude which one to read savinder singh , spectrum or khullar apart from that i hv done geo ncerts thrice

• For modern history i read 3 books - nbt freedom struggle, spectrum, sumit sarkar. As i like modern history. And also the ncerts.But i think sumit sarkar helped me the most. I should have stuck to a single source. There were few direct questions from sumit sarkar in the preliminary exam.

Mrunal doesn't recommend Sumit Sarkar saying that it is pre-CSAT era type ( I don't know what that means )

Mrunal also says that the questions I have mentioned above were from Sumit Sarkar .

My question - What is the title of the Sarkar's book that you are using ?
    How is it in terms of reading experience ? I rate the NCERT's Themes in Indian History 10/10 . So relative to the NCERT , how is this book in terms of reading experience ?

If you are a veteran , would I be therefore right to conclude that the CAPF exam's pattern is a spectre of the pattern of the CSE pre that is conducted almost a month later ? ( Karan Thapar style :-P )
  • edited January 2016

I have a similar confusion . Currently I am focussed on the CAPF exam which also implies that I am preparing myself for the Pre exam atleast .

The confusion is that more than a few questions that were asked in the CAPF exam 2015 could NOT be answered on the basis of new NCERT class XII and Bipin Chandra's India's Struggle for Freedom .

E.g.
    One of the questions was ' Who translated Din Mitra's Neel Darpan into English ?'
    NCERT has no mention of Neel Darpan . Bipin Chandra tells that Neel Darpan is written by Din Mitra and portrays the suffering of indigo farmers .

Another question was about identifying various phases of Quit Indian Movement from the given options . NCERT and Bipin Chandra don't look at Quit India with that persepective . They don't explicity state the various phases . And in trying to think of it's from the characterstics and attributes of Quit India , we risk confusing attribute with a phase ( a phase and an attribute aren't always the same )

There was a question asking us to mark the place where Gandhiji used Hunger strike as a tool for the first time . Again NCERT and Bipin Chandra don't answer that . Gandhiji did satyagraha at several places post his appearance at sevral places . The books simply mention Gandhiji supported them , did satyagraha etc.

In the light of the above situation , should I use a third book ? If yes , which book would be a good supplement ?

sir its very easy for people to say that read multiple books. but i will tell you its nearly impossible to read 3-4 books and then revise it. u can read n number of books but revision is imp. For history switch to badhpadhyaya/sarkar + rajiv ahir(spectrum). it will solve your problem For polity no need to go through ncerts, just do the laxmikanth religiously. And try to revise. focus on current if ur aim is cse and if your aim is capf, then monthly magazines will do.
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • @Rajan_Bhai The title is Modern India(1885-1947). I find it more comprehensive and lucid than others. I ,also , waded through few pages of From plassey to partition....I personally found it a bit too wordy. SO it was sumit sarkar for me. Its available free of cost online. You can go through few pages and decide for yourself.

As far as CAPF is concerned. I absolutely have no idea regarding the same. I am sorry.

P.S. I am not a 'veteran'. This was my first attempt :p
  • Here is the real problem-
    1)If you focus only on one book- you might end up losing marks( unable to answer questions)

2) If you focus on multiple books - revision becomes a herculean task.
    Multiple books would again mean
    Reading the same topic again n again from diff sources.
    1)If you focus only on one book- you might end up losing marks( unable to answer questions)

Kisi bhi Herculean Task ko bahut zyada extra efforts lagaakar poora kiya jaa sakta hai.... Aisa mera sochna hai....

Lekin agar marks kam aaye, to kuch bhi kar lijiyega aap, lekin fir marks NAHI badh sakte hain aapke

Baaki aap dekh lijiyega..

• @Wenkula for GS only, IMO:
    1)NCERTs
    2) GC LEONG
    3) Revision of 1 and 2
    4) Watch Geo videos posted by mrunal on his channel.
    5)Revise, Revise and Revise.
  • @princessso Since you have mentioned before, that there were direct questions from Sarkar. Were those questions answerable, if a person would have finished only NCERTs+ Bipan chandra?
    Or Is there anything special mentioned in Sumit Sarkar.
    Please throw some light on it :smile:
  • This is my Strategy for Prelim

Polity -Laxmikant
    Modern History - Spectrum
    Environment - Shankar IAS
    Geography - NCERT and GC Leong
    Sci and Tech - Vajiram Yellow Book
    Art and Culture - GK Today
    Economy - Ramesh Singh

The Hindu Daily and Test Series
  • @Wenkula for GS only, IMO:
    1)NCERTs
    2) GC LEONG
    3) Revision of 1 and 2
    4) Watch Geo videos posted by mrunal on his channel.
    5)Revise, Revise and Revise.

u asked a doubt on what books to study and now u only are advising?
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • @jobhikarwalo Sir, my query was from a general point of view. Not only for 1 subject, but for all the subjects.
    i had also asked somebody regarding geo.
    The same response i posted here.
  • @jobhikarwalo Sir, my query was from a general point of view. Not only for 1 subject, but for all the subjects.
    i had also asked somebody regarding geo.
    The same response i posted here.
  • @Warrior_within right now i can remember one particular question on Rowlatt satyagraha. The options are verbatim mentioned in the book. Just google search the question. You can see it for your self. I dont think you can answer that question by reading just ncerts and bipan chandra. But again this is just one or few questions. That does not mean now sumit sarkar becomes the god. You may not enjoy reading it as i did.
    Its available online for free. Do read few pages. And decide for your self buddy. :)
  • main point is, your concept should be clear, it might be cleared by reading one book or by multiple books. example: in my case, i found history concept cleared in single reading but for geography topics i keep googling till my mind is clear. so device your own stratagy
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our IFoS Toppers
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1) | Read His Story
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) | Read Her Story
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) | Watch His Interview
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) | Watch His Interview

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google