CSE 2019   Attend 3 sessions on preparing for CSE 2019 , right from the right preparation strategy, reading the newspaper, making notes to how to write good answers. Orientation session is open to all and mandatory for all CGP Students. Click here for details.
MITRA'S IAS - PHILOSOPHY: Seminar on - 27th Sep. - 5pm & 9th Oct. – 11 am
Foundation Classes: 28th Sep. and 29th Sep.
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
,Website:- www.mitrasias.com

Help GUYS!!!..Ur SuggestioN plz!!!! Should I pursue UPSC exam solely or pursue Mphil/Phd alongwith?

Hey Guys. I need suggestion from U, my fellow Aspirants.

I have given 3 attempts at the UPSC exam. Gave 2 mains. could'n't even clear Prelims this time. At the side, I am a post graduate from one of the best Universities in India. However,I am in a state of Dilemma. How should i approach the next attempt..I want this to be my last and successful attempt at the exam. (I am from reserved category but cannot keep giving this exam again and again)

I have dileanated 2 choices for myself. 1) Wholeheartedly give this next attempt without pursuing any further studies (Mphil/Phd). Alongwith give state PCS exam. 2) Pursue Mphil/Phd alongwith my 4th attempt.

My concerns:- 1) I have not given my best shot at this exam. In the first attempt i didnot have my optional prepared as i took wrong optional. In second attempt, I changed my optional, gave overwhelming time to the new optional, neglected GS and also got disaster marks in one GS paper. Third attempt, i focussed more on mains and thus, negletcted prelims and thus, couldn't clear it.
2) Along these attempts i was pursuing my postgraduation and i had to devote some time to my studies. Especially during Mains exam time when i also had my semester exam. it used to divert, frustrate and consume precious time. I am concerned that if i pursue higher research studies, i may have to face this situation again.

Please give me ur suggestions as to what would be the most prudent strategy ahead.

P.S.- my family is willing to support me and i am also giving CAPF interview this time. However, I am a JRF holder and everyone keeps saying ke admission lele, 25 hazaar aate rhenge, however i feel that it is too small and opportunistic a thing as compared to upsc exam which might need more time of mine
Mein rahaan te nahi turda,
Mein turda taan raah bande..

Comments

• bro only u can decide. Calculate how much time u have to devout in mphil. Can you cover cse syllabus in remaining time? if yes then go for both. If no then you have to decide between them.
  • Thankyou Obaid g. The thing is that sometimes I feel insecure when i see people preparing full time and clearing. I feel like i am trying to sail in 2 boats. kuch bhi haath na lage. mphil and phd can be done anytime in life. 1 saal baad bhi. upsc abhii hoga.
  • avoid these stupid degree called Mphil/Phd, these are just time killer, better focus on UPSC/State PSC, as you are already prepared so focus on 2016.
  • take admission dude.
    1. being financialy independent gives a sense of confidence.
    2. widens your horizon.
    3. does not require much time. you can write entire m.phil thesis in two months u get after your interviews.
    4. helps in interview.
    this worked for me well.. i did it from jnu. rest depends on person to person.
  • Join Mphil/Phd n simultaneously giv upsc, it's better n many ppl hv succeeded this way.
    ATB
    Just do it.
  • 1111 said:

take admission dude.
    1. being financialy independent gives a sense of confidence.
    2. widens your horizon.
    3. does not require much time. you can write entire m.phil thesis in two months u get after your interviews.
    4. helps in interview.
    this worked for me well.. i did it from jnu. rest depends on person to person.

Sir i have qualified for JRF and planning to pursue Mphil from JNU.....can we spare time for civils in jnu? I have already given 2 mains,failed to clear pre this time.....so daily 5-6 hrs of study will suffice for me...is it possible in jnu?
  • Pursue PhD...wat 1111 said 100% correct... After two attempt ...simultaneously prepare
  • Maybe a shear coincidence but I hv one frn who qualified CSE with rank in 200s while doing Mphil from Jnu n when she took extension n prepared solely(Mphil complete) fr CSE her rank was in 400s ... Rest is ur wish
    Just do it.
  • @AchillesWarrior @enindez @kautilya88 @1111 @Obaid Ansari @""Being N 1" Thankyou guys for your valuable suggestions. I would consider all options and take a call. More friends can pour in their opinions as many aspirants stay confused about this option at such a crucial time of their lives.
  • never trust upsc 100% always keep back plan up no matter how much you are confident of clearing upsc.
    upsc tumhare confidence ki dhajiya uda dege in one second
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog