NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Sociology Discussion Thread for 2017 Mains

Seeing the enthusiasm of people who have written main this year(2016) and kind of discussion they used to had encouraged me to start a new discussion thread for people preparing for 2017. Hope more people join this thread and and make our preparation holistic one. Especially for people who do not join any coaching for the subject as conceptual clarity of different topics are necessary with the changing pattern of exam.

Senior helps will be immensely appreciated .Also, help us in guiding what not to read and their mistakes which they did which can be avoided.
5 Reason to be Happy
Smile More | Think Less | Be Present | Give More | Expect Less
·

Comments

• @akrao_iimb @choudhary_007 @Geheimnisse @never_back_down @MD47 @Kisaan @diablo2 @raksha @Jaime_Lannister @aman131 @GlobalBaba @

Your Suggestions are most welcome from experience of 2016 Mains Paper
    5 Reason to be Happy
    ·
  • Seems like some good reading of books is required ..not usual coaching stuff.
    Everyday is the first day of the rest of your life
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    I have doubt over the questions in paper 1 which are application based e.g -

QN. Analyze the manifest and latent function of 'security of tenure of bureaucrats in the light of Merton's theory. (2016)

QN. Using Merton’s concepts of ‘manifest ’ and ‘latent ’ functions, explain the persistence of corruption in
    Indian society
    .(2014)

Even after reading R.K merton theory of manifest and latent function i am unable to find any source which refer to the aspect related to bureaucracy or corruption in Merton's theory.

5 Reason to be Happy
    ·
  • edited December 2016

@akrao_iimb @choudhary_007 @Geheimnisse @never_back_down @MD47 @Kisaan @diablo2 @raksha @Jaime_Lannister @aman131 @GlobalBaba @

Your Suggestions are most welcome from experience of 2016 Mains Paper

Sorry..did not write. :'(
    ·
  • I have doubt over the questions in paper 1 which are application based e.g -

QN. Analyze the manifest and latent function of 'security of tenure of bureaucrats in the light of Merton's theory. (2016)

QN. Using Merton’s concepts of ‘manifest ’ and ‘latent ’ functions, explain the persistence of corruption in
    Indian society
    .(2014)

Even after reading R.K merton theory of manifest and latent function i am unable to find any source which refer to the aspect related to bureaucracy or corruption in Merton's theory.

Manifest function of security of tenure- B remains committed -dedicated -do not fall for any form of influence both internally and externally-free from corruption.

Latent function-Same security of tenure makes it inefficient-Makes B indulge in corruption considering the provision of securoty of tenure-quote how art 311 ended up serving this latent function from originally being meant to serve the manifest function.

Now try corruption brother else will throw light on it also :)
    ·
  • I have doubt over the questions in paper 1 which are application based e.g -

Indian society
    .(2014)

Manifest function of security of tenure- B remains committed -dedicated -do not fall for any form of influence both internally and externally-free from corruption.

Latent function-Same security of tenure makes it inefficient-Makes B indulge in corruption considering the provision of securoty of tenure-quote how art 311 ended up serving this latent function from originally being meant to serve the manifest function.

Now try corruption brother else will throw light on it also :)
    I will give you hint for corruption wala question.
    Just think of obvious perceptions/consequences of corruption as it is observed by a layman- thats manifest

now despite so many problems and negatives of corruption which you have thought above, why it persists? Kuch to functional role play kr raha hoga ..think ;)( u can take hint from usa ka political achine) :)
    Keep writing :)
    CSE 2015: Mains-1, Interview-1, Rank-0
    CSE 2016: Mains-1, Interview-1, Rank-1*
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • I will give you hint for corruption wala question.
    Just think of obvious perceptions/consequences of corruption as it is observed by a layman- thats manifest

now despite so many problems and negatives of corruption which you have thought above, why it persists? Kuch to functional role play kr raha hoga ..think ;)( u can take hint from usa ka political achine) :)
    Keep writing :)

Thanks sirji. aise hi apna experience share kar diya kariye..it will benefit 2017 wale socio aspirants ..I left this for @CaptainCool bhai to think and build on this line of thinking else will do the write up for this one. :)
    ·
  • In-spite of so many dysfunctions attached to corruption, corruption are still prevalent in our society because of its latent function : -
    1. Corruption makes things done in places where it would have taken years for files to move . Saves time.
    2. It compensate for the low wage of the public officers.
    3. Quick source of money.
    4. Creates informal association of give and take

For these latent function corruption is still prevalent in the Indian Society

@"lutiyanzone 1988" @aman131 review please
    5 Reason to be Happy
    ·
  • In-spite of so many dysfunctions attached to corruption, corruption are still prevalent in our society because of its latent function : -
    1. Corruption makes things done in places where it would have taken years for files to move . Saves time.
    2. It compensate for the low wage of the public officers.
    3. Quick source of money.
    4. Creates informal association of give and take

great bhai spot on ...adding one or two things..

It would be good if we can assess it from the perspective of ..like how it affects the structure ..of the indian society offer opportunity for social mobility..it cools down to an extent the class rivalries or antagonism. bcoz it provides opportunities for those in position of power to usurp one form of capital or other..like those having social capital can use it through corruption to gain economic capital...etc

how it affects the social relationship in the society latently like how it serves as a tool for mobilizing faith of the people in the virtues...thus strengthening moral fibre of the society.eg 2011 Anna movement

How it affects the institutions in the indian society in unintended manner..eg. economy..how parallel economy of corruption relatively shielded India against the global economic meltdown in 2008 .
    ·
  • edited December 2016

great bhai spot on ...adding one or two things..

Nice ponts @"lutiyanzone 1988" ..... can any one suggest the right source have definitions of sociological key words which can be directly as introduction in questions which demands explanation or describing

Senior players your inputs will be immensely appreciated. Thank in advance waiting for your replies guys.
    ·
  • I wrote 2016 mains with electrical engineering optional, but I could not finish the syllabus on time and there is no availability of resources for it, So I am thinking to opt for sociology for 2017. I do not know how to start on what topics should I stress more etc. Kindly help me by providing topic wise study plan. Thank you in advance.
    ·
  • I wrote 2016 mains with electrical engineering optional, but I could not finish the syllabus on time and there is no availability of resources for it, So I am thinking to opt for sociology for 2017. I do not know how to start on what topics should I stress more etc. Kindly help me by providing topic wise study plan. Thank you in advance.

I have few source of reference which might be helpful for getting sociology in right perspective.You can have look over their approach to sociology and adapt accordingly. But to start with N.C.E.R.T would be right thing and IGNOU BA material can followed later on.Below are the links which can be followed.

1. Strategy by CMG
    http://www.insightsonindia.com/2016/06/28/sociology-strategy-chandra-mohan-garg-rank-25-cse-2015/

2. Strategy By Narendra Sah
    https://greymatterrules.wordpress.com/

3. Important Links
    https://atulkulkarni123.wordpress.com/category/sociology/ (Atul Kulkarni's Blog)

5 Reason to be Happy
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    @Jaime_Lannister, @Geheimnisse ,@aman131 ,@diablo ,@MD47 n all
    Could u all plz throw some light on paper 2nd topic industrialisation and urbanisation in india ..making notes but not getting anythnrelevant..gs se different approach kaise milega? I have upendra notes but very scattered and complicated ..
    ·
  • raksha said:

@ Jaime_Lannister, @ Geheimnisse ,@ aman131 ,@ diablo ,@ MD47 n all
    Could u all plz throw some light on paper 2nd topic industrialisation and urbanisation in india ..making notes but not getting anythnrelevant..gs se different approach kaise milega? I have upendra notes but very scattered and complicated ..

IGNOU.
    A Lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
    ·
  • raksha said:

IGNOU.
    Anyone willing to start daily one answer writing practice taking question from the previous year paper ?

·
  • raksha said:

IGNOU.
    Thanks

·
  • raksha said:

IGNOU.
    Anyone willing to start daily one answer writing practice taking question from the previous year paper ?

In
    ·

• Anyone willing to start daily one answer writing practice taking question from the previous year paper ?

In
    ·
  • raksha said:

@ Jaime_Lannister, @Geheimnisse ,@ aman131 ,@ diablo ,@ MD47 n all

bhai upar jaime lannister ne bata hi diya hai Ignou,usme tumhe sub divisions bhi miljayenge,baaki do yojana nicely,these tpics often appear there n unka pura detail diya hota hai.
    In Love With My Life Claudia Sampedro !
    ·
  • raksha said:

@ Jaime_Lannister, @Geheimnisse ,@ aman131 ,@ diablo ,@ MD47 n all

bhai upar jaime lannister ne bata hi diya hai Ignou,usme tumhe sub divisions bhi miljayenge,baaki do yojana nicely,these tpics often appear there n unka pura detail diya hota hai.

·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google