REVISION CLASSES PRELIMS 2017 NEW SCHEDULE

ForumIAS is conducting revision classes for Prelims 2017. Due to extremely high number of candidates taking up classes, we have come up with a new schedule which will repeat the classes already held. The goal is to cover maximum topics in minimum time possible. So if you have not been able to attend these, please register. Seats fill up in a few hours, so register early. Click Here to know more and register early to avoid inconvenience

Public Administration optional doubts

edited May 2014 in Public Administration
While reading notes/books I faced many doubts. If others also have doubts we can discuss under one thread
·

Comments

• Can someone explain

Logical positivism

and

Methodological individualism

in laymen terms
    ·
  • Logical Positivism refers to 'scientific' approach - whereby, any statement/conclusion you make, should be based upon verifiable facts & empirical evidence. That is, it should not be speculative/intuitive/guess work

Methodological individualism
    (in the context of pub ad) is the view that - while studying govt organizations, one should keep in mind that consequences/trends at 'macro level' are the result of decisions made at individual levels. These decisions are driven by individual preferences/ desires/ habits/ values.

Thus, in order to improve public administration, we should try to brainstorm - how can we make these individual actors take better, desirable decisions ?
    ·
  • I have a doubt too

What is the nature of Indian Administration wrt Weberian Bureaucracy?

Indian Admin is mostly the continuation of Colonial Admin. However, Colonial Admin predated the Weberian Model. Yet, wasn't the colonial admin mostly similar to Weberian Model ? (eg Hierarchy, Rule of Law, etc)

If not, what was the difference between colonial admin model & weberian model ?
    ·
  • while reading IGNOU material on NPM, cant understand two terms-

Agency Cost theory, as explained in Williamson’s Markets and Hierarchies (1990), treats one party as an agent which carries out work on behalf of the principal. Their interests do not necessarily coincide and when this is aligned with the principal’s inability to monitor the agent then there arises an incentive to underperform. Agents would design contracts in a manner, which may shift responsibility to factors, which may appear to be outside their control. Thus, the argument of Williamson that best contracts are the ones, which are self-enforcing, stands reaffirmed.

Transaction Cost Analysis is also well explained in Williamson’s work. He suggests that the most efficient form of institutional governance is the one in which transaction costs are controlled and minimised. A transaction cost is the cost of exchanges undertaken to transact work. This is dependent upon factors such as uncertainty, bounded rationality, complexity, opportunism and asset specificity. Whether hierarchies or markets, transaction cost better managed on the basis of the institutional capacity to control is the above factors is a crucial query, which needs deliberation.

if somebody can explain - agency cost thoery and trasaction cost analysis- it will be great help
    ·
  • edited August 2014
    What does Pubic Choice Approach means? What I understood is that it focuses on institutional pluralism. But does that mean more emphasis on private sector OR just focusing on public sector only but many public sector organizations competing with each other to provide same service?

CC : @shravaka @gini @samariya
    ·
  • @Kellerman- PCA is application of Eco on political/ admninistrative institutions and processes.
    yes- it means both- establishing functional clusters of government organisations providing individual G&S, which are organically linked to mother organisation by contracts. PCA also advocates for increased role of private players. thus, multiplicity of organisations will lead to wider options available to public to choose among. hope you get it now
    ·
  • Thanks a lot @samariya. It's clear now :-)
    ·
  • @samariya how do you have so much confidence in Pub Ad. I have gone through almost whole syllabus but still i dont have any confidence. For eg. question on Kautilya in 03 "The Arthshastra is India's oldest complete text on Pub Ad." Comment. How would you answer that?
    ·
  • is there any one with whom i can discuss- dror, waldo, drucker.- direct questions aate hai. and if anyone can tell which coaching's notes have dealt them in detail
    ·
  • Hello sr.aspirants newbie here.. :) just started my pub ad prep and in dilemo regarding pub ad book list..i've just got 3 books new horizns,adm thnkr & fadia.. im confused which one to buy laxmikant or polinaidu and other books lik nicholas,arora etc which were preferred by mrunal.org n insights :/..plz help me with the essential book list to buy..
    P.s: dis is a nice thread for pub ad doubts..
    sowmyaias
    ·
  • @Ican- dear, if u have under gone precise cost benefit analysis of pub admn as an optional- than fine, go ahead. but if you have not joined some coaching or teacher plz consider other optionals. i myself has given lots of rigorous work to this, and still unable to frame 'scoring' answer. pub admn has crossed the bounces from which questions were used to be asked. n, ha me kisi ko demotivate nahi krna chahta. bs muje sahi waqt pe sahi advice nhi mili thi , my best wishes
    ·
  • +1...change it if you can...!!!
    ·
  • edited September 2014
    +1 Change PubAd if you can. Also, avoid the 'famous' optionals like socio, geography, philosohpy etc. if you aren't genuinely interested in them. Try science optionals if you are an engineering/science student or literature, commerce, management etc. depending on your interest.
    परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
    धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे |
    IRS(Customs and Central Excise) Probationer
    ·
  • hmm. sorry but i couldn't change my optional on the basis of Marks/scoring..i've chosen pub ad coz i love it ..i'll try my best....dekenge age kya hot hai :)...i'm from science background(pharma.) though i like administration....Thank you so much @samariya @gini @deusAdeeb
    sowmyaias
    ·
  • everyone who will read pub ad would love it...most obvious things being talked about in complete syllabus. .. don't be sorry...just pray that UPSC changes their view on pub ad...!!!
    ·
  • And 1 more thing to be sure before deciding on any subject...read the subject for 15-20 days...from whichever source u like...and then try to solve last couple of years papers...I think that would definitely help u forming an opinion...best of luck!!!

By the way

polynaidu is a waste for current theme of papers...u can read henry and steve robbins if u like reading...helps in deeper understanding of the subject. ..!!
    ·
  • kisi ke sapru h ky yar, choti si help chaiye muje. mere yaha shops pe mil ni ri
    ·
  • Situational and contingency model of leadership are same yet different.Comment
    ·
  • Hello all, does anyone have the hand written notes of the latest batch of Puri sir? Or can anyone tell where can i find them in orn.....pls help
    CSE 2013 Interview Geo | CSE 2014 Mains Pub Ad
    ·
  • Hello all, does anyone have the hand written notes of the latest batch of Puri sir? Or can anyone tell where can i find them in orn.....pls help
    I got them from bharat book store last year.
    परित्राणाय साधूनां विनाशाय च दुष्कृताम् ।
    धर्मसंस्थापनार्थाय सम्भवामि युगे युगे |
    IRS(Customs and Central Excise) Probationer
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google