Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
GUIDANCE IAS Geography(Opt.) @500+ Programme STARTS ON 26th JUNE 9:30 AM.
Venue:   11/5-B, Basement, Param Tower , Pusa Road, Delhi 110005. Call (+91)-9718793363, 011-45586829. Geography(Opt.) Online / Offline Test Series
& Daily Mapwork Program Online
To Enroll Click Here
Top 4 scorers in Geography (Opt.) are Guidance IAS Students: AIR 5 PRATHAM KAUSHIK (327 Marks); AIR 109 DHRUV MISHRA (318 Marks); AIR 411 SAI KIRAN D.N. (316 Marks); AIR 423 DHEERAJ AGARWAL (315 Marks)

Help Needed :- Repeated Prelims Failure

I have given 4 attempts till now (including this one) and not able to clear it single time. Feeling so much down and depressed and completely clueless about the future. I started to doubting myself whether or not will I be able to clear the exam ever. I am not a bright student (somewhat average) but do work hard. I have been preparing from last 4 year without any coaching in my hometown with absolutely no upsc environment (or alternatively called competitive examination environment) around me. Forum IAS , insights etc were only sources of guidance. Not joined any coaching for geography optional but did completed geography optional (comprehensively). I am completely blank now about my future course of action. Of lately I am thinking of shifting to Delhi to join Optional + GS coaching integrated so that to clear the concepts and get clearer understanding of subject. For prelims per say I have completed all the basic sources (generally recommended) multiple times (with multiple revisions). I am thinking of following two course of action
(1) Shifting to Delhi and join comprehensive coaching classes (integrated + optional)
(2) Preparing for the backup state PSC (which takes 2years for complete cycle) and then come back to prepare alongside the job.
Please guide. I feel like I will never clear the prelims let alone mains.

Comments

• Prepare for backup..
  • Secure a back up first. Time to focus on Plan B, secure it, and then back to plan A.
  • Dead Man said:

I have given 4 attempts till now (including this one) and not able to clear it single time. Feeling so much down and depressed and completely clueless about the future. I started to doubting myself whether or not will I be able to clear the exam ever. I am not a bright student (somewhat average) but do work hard. I have been preparing from last 4 year without any coaching in my hometown with absolutely no upsc environment (or alternatively called competitive examination environment) around me. Forum IAS , insights etc were only sources of guidance. Not joined any coaching for geography optional but did completed geography optional (comprehensively). I am completely blank now about my future course of action. Of lately I am thinking of shifting to Delhi to join Optional + GS coaching integrated so that to clear the concepts and get clearer understanding of subject. For prelims per say I have completed all the basic sources (generally recommended) multiple times (with multiple revisions). I am thinking of following two course of action
    (1) Shifting to Delhi and join comprehensive coaching classes (integrated + optional)
    (2) Preparing for the backup state PSC (which takes 2years for complete cycle) and then come back to prepare alongside the job.

since u have never cleared any stage whatsoever i will suggest to get a backup first (if u are less than 26).. if over 26 fight 2 more attempts without worrying about backup
  • Dead Man said:

there are many govt and PSU exams going on...they are easier than upsc and you can clear them...try cracking those ..dont put all your eggs in one basket
  • Dead Man said:

Mate,i must tell u that i totally feel u.i failed my first two prelims,second 1 by 1 mark.
    Now,as per ur case u hav failed 4 consecutive prelims,i suggest u change ur UPSC Approach and Life Goals.
    First of all try ur State PSC Exam,this ll help u to rejuvinate ur life and upsc goals ,moreover u can still remain in touch with civils or u can try some other job ,so that u r financially stable.
    State PSC will give u a taste of civils & something is better than nothing right. o:)
    if u can,try to skip a year and start from the scratch,if age is on ur side.
    i have seen so many people,qualifying even in their last attempt,u still hav 2 attempts left [if u r general category]
    be patient and trust the process.Sometimes we don't get the gud things ,bcoz we deserve great things.
    Have a great life Mate :)
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

• Dead Man said:

Mate,i must tell u that i totally feel u.i failed my first two prelims,second 1 by 1 mark.
    Now,as per ur case u hav failed 4 consecutive prelims,i suggest u change ur UPSC Approach and Life Goals.
    First of all try ur State PSC Exam,this ll help u to rejuvinate ur life and upsc goals ,moreover u can still remain in touch with civils or u can try some other job ,so that u r financially stable.
    State PSC will give u a taste of civils & something is better than nothing right. o:)
    i have seen so many people,qualifying even in their last attempt,u still hav 2 attempts left [if u r general category]
    be patient and trust the process.Sometimes we don't get the gud things ,bcoz we deserve great things.
    25 year old with OBC category. I still have attempts but not willing to go beyond 2 or 3 more attempts or won't be giving exam after 30 year of age.
  • hii start your preparation again from zero ...first read all basic books. This year paper clearly shows that they are not looking aspirant who have superficial knowledge or have just read current affair magazine.
    Follow this pattern if possible : complete one subject -such as-geography - - take test paper of vision ,insight,IAS baba. And try to find out your mistake. This way you can complete all important subject. No need to join any coaching just by good standard materials and read by yourself.
    Follow this religiously you will definitely able to clear the exam.
  • UPSC is having fun at the expense of people like us.

I am eagerly waiting for 2019 prelims to witness another joke of a paper.

A girl I know who barely started preparing 2 months before the exam, scored 105. She is not a bright student. But in her own words her most of her tukkas hit the target.

UPSC favors the lucky.
  • hii start your preparation again from zero ...first read all basic books. This year paper clearly shows that they are not looking aspirant who have superficial knowledge or have just read current affair magazine.
    Follow this pattern if possible : complete one subject -such as-geography - - take test paper of vision ,insight,IAS baba. And try to find out your mistake. This way you can complete all important subject. No need to join any coaching just by good standard materials and read by yourself.

Thanks Bhai. I think I need to start from scratch. I have thoroughly gone through these books multiple times with multiple revisions but still I need to start from scratch.
    shivajii said:

UPSC is having fun at the expense of people like us.

I am eagerly waiting for 2019 prelims to witness another joke of a paper.

A girl I know who barely started preparing 2 months before the exam, scored 105. She is not a bright student. But in her own words her most of her tukkas hit the target.

UPSC favors the lucky.

True that. We don't expect questions to be lifted directly from these compilations but at least paper shouldn't be too much vague like this year. It's the exam of perform or perish. In the end we need to adapt ourselves or to change the course.
  • Dead Man said:

Dead Man said:

25 year old with OBC category. I still have attempts but not willing to go beyond 2 or 3 more attempts or won't be giving exam after 30 year of age.
    Mate, take a break then. Sometimes it helps. I took a break this year, giving my psc mains. I suggest u attempt ur State Psc civils. Sort out ur weaknesses, work on them.
    Sometimes hard work doesn't help, u need to do smart work too and what better than to take a year off and plan from scratch and rebuild ur knowledge base.
    U have age, so give ur best attempt in 2020,skip 2019.
    An Ardent Civil services Aspirant, Bibliophile, Bodybuilder, Comics (Doga) Fan, Cook, Cynophile, Linguaphile, Nature Lover, Numismatist, Photographer, Soccer( Cristiano Ronaldo)Fan......

• Hmm take a break. Get a job enjoy hobbies. Then get back to upsc if u still want it. Apna to ek me hi hogya . Prepared for my first pre this year for 2 years by self study. Getting 70. May give one more with better self study and coaching module wherever needed.
  • Bhai seeing your profile name I am reminded of one of my friends... he was son of a high ranking officer... he gave eight prelims and he could not clear... then he went on drugs and finally suicide. .. he had more money than any ias but it was not enough for him... so please think about meaning of life before making id like deadman.
  • Bhai seeing your profile name I am reminded of one of my friends... he was son of a high ranking officer... he gave eight prelims and he could not clear... then he went on drugs and finally suicide. .. he had more money than any ias but it was not enough for him... so please think about meaning of life before making id like deadman.

No brother don't go by my profile name. I am just trying to get out from this UPSC game and not willing to go further with all the attempts. But wanted to give at least one or two attempts seriously and if that doesn't materialize then will be working on backup, so that not to risk further life in this game of upsc.
  • Dead Man said:

Bhai do a few things apart from all that other senior members have already
    1) pehla apne marks ko dekho pre ke kitne se miss kiye ho and over the years has there been considerable change + try to do a post mortem of your scores to see which areas you have consistently been underperforming(pakka hotte hain just dhundne mein effort zyada lagega)

2) Also try recalling your schedule 3 months before pre. Kaafi log is 3 mahine mein optional ya mains ki tyaari mein bhi time use karte hain jo kayin baar counterproductive hota hai.

3) Prepare as a general candidate - set higher targets ( iska ye arth hai ki put in more effort, as in work towarda general cutoff as your targets ) jaise i know some ppl who set ifos cutoff as their targets and subsequently work harder.

+1
  • Dead Man said:

Bhai I will suggest, you get a job. Securing a job will ease the pressure of UPSC. Saying out of personal experience. Have given 4 attempts , but haven't been able to clear prelims. But I have just started working, so I have started feeling a bit relaxed.. Godspeed in your IAS journey..☺️
    क्‍यों डरें जिन्‍दगी में क्‍या होगा
    कुछ ना होगा तो तजुर्बा होगा
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog