Registration : Open Test by ForumIAS – May 24 | Online + Offline FEW DAYS BEFORE THE PRELIMS by CSE Rank 373 : SURYAWANSHI MAYUR
Online/Offline Batch Enrollment For Focussed Foundation Program 2019 (limited seats available)
Click Here :- Details | Register | Download Brochure
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Last Lap Current Affairs for Prelims 2018           (2) Science and Technology for Mains 2018 & Prelims 2019
(3) Comprehensive module for Ancient, Medieval, Modern History - Pre+Mains    (4) Concepts + latest developments in Environment/Ecology (Pre & Mains)
(5) Class 6-12 NCERT Summary for all the Subjects -Mains 18 & Prelims 19     (6) Important Topics for Mains GS Paper 2 and 3
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

How to tackle generic topics in GS Mains syllabus.

How to handle the following topics in GS mains syllabus? These topics sound too generic for a specific preparation. UPSC doesnot straightforward ask what do these topics mean so reading their definitions in books is not worth it. I wrote mains this year and didn't do specific preparation of these topics and relied on Insights Secure and current affairs only. How do you approach these topics? Any suggestions, books, readings etc are welcome.
Topics-
GS1-
-Salient aspects of Diversity of India and Indian Society
-Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and remedies
-Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
-Effects of globalization on Indian society

GS2-
-Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
-Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation
-Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
-Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
-Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
-Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures
-Issues relating to poverty and hunger

GS3-
-Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
-indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
-Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
-Topics related to internal security.

THANK YOU!

Comments

• Who told you all of them are generic topics? This is how we oversimplify our preparation.
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • What do you suggest @Vakkoda . What should we look into? Please suggest.
  • They have put all these so called open-ended topics to ensure that they have some discretion to ask questions. If they mention specific topics also on which questions will be asked, what is left to check wisdom and sensibility of an aspirant. It will become by-heart and vomit kind of exam. Use your wisdom. I can't suggest. Even if I suggest it won't go to your mind unless you open it
    "Unpredictable" Public Service Commission and Uncertain Future.
  • Thanks for your inputs @Vakkoda
  • Sir these are all very specific topics.
    Need specific answers. A broader analytical perspective and structure to the answers.
  • MathurRam said:

Sir these are all very specific topics.
    Need specific answers. A broader analytical perspective and structure to the answers.

MathurRam said:

Sir these are all very specific topics.

I find the best way to cover these topics is following current affairs instead of reading any book since upsc doeanot ask direct questions. I try to grasp the analytical points of the topic, arguments in favour and aginst. For example for globalisation, I am following how globalisation helped in development in 21st century and why andhow it is under attack now and what are the pros and cons of globalosed world. This is my approach. How do you approach these topics @MathurRam
  • For me, The problem with these topics is that we don't get a sense of completion of syllabus because of the broad based nature of readings these topics require.
  • For me, The problem with these topics is that we don't get a sense of completion of syllabus because of the broad based nature of readings these topics require.

Cover the current affairs topics well, atleast of past one year's. Check atleast 2 good institutes' printed and/or class notes and also check with friends about what they were taught in class, so that you have an idea of what others are studying. If you are doing well in comparison to all this, then you are good to go. Along with this, your mains test series marks will reflect your overall preparation.
    But dont depend completely on current affairs for covering these topics. You can do selectively these - NCERTs and Ignou material (available on mrunal) for gs1, ARC reports for GS2, Idsa website for security in gs3.
    Read other toppers' blogs where they have divided topics and told what they referred to for each section.
    In Mains GS papers, there are always 2-3 questions in every paper about which we cant really write too well. Very few people would be lucky enough to know all questions. In the end it depends on how you write what you know. So focus on whatever you can cover well. And do those things thoroughly.
    Gaurav Agarwal left about 2-3 questions completely in paper 3 of his mains and still managed to score well according to that year's score because the quality of the rest of his answers was excellent.
    As they say, 'do your best and leave the rest'. :)
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • Queen said:

For me, The problem with these topics is that we don't get a sense of completion of syllabus because of the broad based nature of readings these topics require.

Cover the current affairs topics well, atleast of past one year's. Check atleast 2 good institutes' printed and/or class notes and also check with friends about what they were taught in class, so that you have an idea of what others are studying. If you are doing well in comparison to all this, then you are good to go. Along with this, your mains test series marks will reflect your overall preparation.
    But dont depend completely on current affairs for covering these topics. You can do selectively these - NCERTs and Ignou material (available on mrunal) for gs1, ARC reports for GS2, Idsa website for security in gs3.
    Read other toppers' blogs where they have divided topics and told what they referred to for each section.
    In Mains GS papers, there are always 2-3 questions in every paper about which we cant really write too well. Very few people would be lucky enough to know all questions. In the end it depends on how you write what you know. So focus on whatever you can cover well. And do those things thoroughly.
    Gaurav Agarwal left about 2-3 questions completely in paper 3 of his mains and still managed to score well according to that year's score because the quality of the rest of his answers was excellent.
    Thanks for your input @Queen
    The nature of questions is such that static sources are almost of no use. Yes IDSA website and ARC reports are a good source and I read them. I have read many toppers interviews on mrunal and everyone seem to have different strategy ranging from 'no specific preparation' to some very specific source. Very confusing.
    Talking of specific source, for internal security, how's the book by M Kartikeyan? Any idea anyone?
  • Queen said:

For me, The problem with these topics is that we don't get a sense of completion of syllabus because of the broad based nature of readings these topics require.

The nature of questions is such that static sources are almost of no use. Yes IDSA website and ARC reports are a good source and I read them. I have read many toppers interviews on mrunal and everyone seem to have different strategy ranging from 'no specific preparation' to some very specific source. Very confusing.
    Talking of specific source, for internal security, how's the book by M Kartikeyan? Any idea anyone?
    No idea about this book.
    And yes, some people manage with no sources too. It also depends on what questions were asked in mains that year. Its possible that had the questions been different, some of those who qualified, might have missed out. To have a foolproof strategy, do the basic things properly, add the current affairs perspective and add in your own analysis. That should suffice.
    "It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you"
    - Rachel (Batman Begins)
  • Queen said:

Queen said:

No idea about this book.
    And yes, some people manage with no sources too. It also depends on what questions were asked in mains that year. Its possible that had the questions been different, some of those who qualified, might have missed out. To have a foolproof strategy, do the basic things properly, add the current affairs perspective and add in your own analysis. That should suffice.
    Thanks !!
  • How to handle the following topics in GS mains syllabus? These topics sound too generic for a specific preparation. UPSC doesnot straightforward ask what do these topics mean so reading their definitions in books is not worth it. I wrote mains this year and didn't do specific preparation of these topics and relied on Insights Secure and current affairs only. How do you approach these topics? Any suggestions, books, readings etc are welcome.
    Topics-
    GS1-
    -Salient aspects of Diversity of India and Indian Society
    -Role of women and women’s organization, population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues, urbanization, their problems and remedies
    -Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism
    -Effects of globalization on Indian society

GS2-
    -Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections
    -Issues relating to development and management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
    -Development processes and the development industry the role of NGOs, SHGs, various groups and associations, donors, charities, institutional and other stakeholders
    -Important aspects of governance, transparency and accountability, e-governance- applications, models, successes, limitations, and potential; citizens charters, transparency & accountability and institutional and other measures
    -Issues relating to poverty and hunger

GS3-
    -Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
    -indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
    -Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
    -Topics related to internal security.

THANK YOU!

Make your own ONE PAGE notes for these topics out of static sources like vision notes or a another.

P.s-I am yet to give my first prelims.
  • Vakkoda said:

They have put all these so called open-ended topics to ensure that they have some discretion to ask questions. If they mention specific topics also on which questions will be asked, what is left to check wisdom and sensibility of an aspirant. It will become by-heart and vomit kind of exam. Use your wisdom. I can't suggest. Even if I suggest it won't go to your mind unless you open it

Hello @Vakkoda, can you please share the sources you followed? This is in reference to the last line of your comment. Consider me as a complete rookie. :-)
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog