Write the Prelims 7 Times before you write it on June 3
Write Simulator Test 2 at 9AM on April 8. Get Scorecard same day by 9PM. Enroll now ! Do not wait till its too late! Enrollment Links :1) Simulator Tests : 8 GS Tests 2) Simulator Tests : 8 GS + 4 CSAT Tests
Unacademy Plus - Live Classes by India’s Best Educators
Seats going fast for all UPSC CSE Prelim's 18 courses. Click on the below link for details -

(1) Modern Indian History                                         (2) Environment & Ecology
(3) Polity, Current Affairs & Govt. Schemes            (4)Budget & Economic survey
(5) Geography with MCQ's                                        (6) Important Current Affairs
Learn from India’s Best Educators. Limited Seats! Register now

What should be my daily schedule if I want to prepare for SSC CGL 2018 and CSE 2019 simultaneously ?

Starting today that is. I help out at my fathers shop from usually 10 to 5 (But I can spare 2 or 3 hours while there as well). I have decided to choose pol sci as optional.. can anyone e tell me how many hours I should spend each day? And how I should spend those hours?

I am under enormous pressure to clear SSC CGL at the very least this year. I am 25 so I cannot stay without a job for long.

Comments

• Mokkaroni said:

Starting today that is. I help out at my fathers shop from usually 10 to 5 (But I can spare 2 or 3 hours while there as well). I have decided to choose pol sci as optional.. can anyone e tell me how many hours I should spend each day? And how I should spend those hours?

I am under enormous pressure to clear SSC CGL at the very least this year. I am 25 so I cannot stay without a job for long.

You will have to prioritise one over the other. By which I mean , not the life goal - which is obviously Civils over SSC - but the immediate preparation goal.

Or else, you will be in a position of a person traveling on two boats or motorbikes.

Only Ajay Devgan has done that successfully so far. Twice . Once in 1990s in Phool or Kaatein. Second time in a recent movie.

If you are twenty five, Focus on one exam, go for the kill, then without complacency or patting yourself on the back, go for the other one.

Usually people crack SSC before UPSC . Not many people go for SSC after cracking UPSC.

Plus you said you have enormous pressure .

So you should have your answer.

Also it’s a great thing that you are trying to build a career while also helping your family . Do your best.

*No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Neyawn said:

Mokkaroni said:

You will have to prioritise one over the other. By which I mean , not the life goal - which is obviously Civils over SSC - but the immediate preparation goal.

Or else, you will be in a position of a person traveling on two boats or motorbikes.

Only Ajay Devgan has done that successfully so far. Twice . Once in 1990s in Phool or Kaatein. Second time in a recent movie.

If you are twenty five, Focus on one exam, go for the kill, then without complacency or patting yourself on the back, go for the other one.

Usually people crack SSC before UPSC . Not many people go for SSC after cracking UPSC.

Also it’s a great thing that you are trying to build a career while also helping your family . Do your best.

Also remember that SSC is not easier than UPSC. It is a very competitive exam too.

Except that it is predictable as compared to UPSC.

So you cannot afford to fail in it. It will destroy your confidence to take up anything else, to some extent.
    *No good deed goes unpunished*
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Mokkaroni said:

Also remember that SSC is not easier than UPSC. It is a very competitive exam too.

So you cannot afford to fail in it. It will destroy your confidence to take up anything else, to some extent.

How about this , I focus most of my time on SSC while putting my remaining time on my optional (and maybe Indian economy section) throughout the year.

6 hours SSC and 3 hours optional/economy.
  • Mokkaroni said:

Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Mokkaroni said:

How about this , I focus most of my time on SSC while putting my remaining time on my optional (and maybe Indian economy section) throughout the year.

6 hours SSC and 3 hours optional/economy.
    Bro could you elaborate a bit on your background?I mean are u an engineer?Have u ever given any competitive exam where aptitude carried a significant proportion??
  • @mahi2501

Yes I am from an engineering background. I have given SSC in 2017(though I didn't prepare much) got a very poor score of 100.

Hoping to improve my score this year. I have to start from scratch again as I didn't prepare anything after ssc last year.
  • edited January 7
    Mokkaroni said:

@mahi2501

Yes I am from an engineering background. I have given SSC in 2017(though I didn't prepare much) got a very poor score of 100.

Hoping to improve my score this year. I have to start from scratch again as I didn't prepare anything after ssc last year.

I am not the best person to advice you but as i have cracked SSC CGL 2016, I think i could provide some inputs. :)

SSC have not provided any date for SSC 2018 in his calander till now. 2018 SSC pre is expected to be conducted in August-september at earliest.

Now, if we talk about your score in 2017 pre, 100 is indeed a very poor score (Sorry if i am being too harsh and straight forward). You must do very hardwork and smart work for next few months.

As you mentioned you can give around 2-3 hours in shop timing + 4 hours after that. As @Neyawn sir already said, i will advice you again go for SSC exclusively this time and just kill the exam. Aim for top 100 rank.

Suggested books and Schedule

1. Maths:
    Go for rakesh yadav 7300+ and try to cover this book 3 times. Try to complete 3 chapters in a week.

2. English
    Grammar : Plinth to paramount volume 1 (Only grammar part)
    Vocab : H.C. hardwick
    Previous year paper : MB publication

Try to cover 2-3 chapters of grammar per week.

3. Reasoning : No special book need. Go for previous papers only. 2 sets in a week os more than sufficient.

4. GK ( SSC dont ask GS)
    Stick to Lucent! I repeat stick to lucent.
    10 pages a day. :)

For any query just tag me in this same thread :)
    As @Neyawn sir once said in a session

"Go for your dreams no matter what!"

One last advice : Be hard with you! Every competitive exams needs hard + smart work in today's scenario.

All the best. :)
    all i need is profound meditation. all i love is my stethoscope
  • @upsc_socio_2017

Thanks for your detailed advice. I would focus on aptitude which was my weakest section by far(I got 24/25 in English in pre).

Also should I go through Rajesh yadav chapter wise for GK or is it unnecessary?(you have emphasized just lucent)
  • Mokkaroni said:

@mahi2501

Hey,
    I think you should focus on SSC first.But if you want to give some time for optionals,devote at max one and a half hours towards optionals.

As u said ur aptitude is the weaker part,

Read concepts plus practice questions is the key to cracking aptitude in SSC.

Don't just fall for tricks first,
    Develop a good understanding of the concepts from NCERts or any reference book and then practice as many questions as u want.
  • SSC will be very difficult for you believe it or not.Person getting 100 in pre is very poor in Mathematics and will not be able to do good in SSC Tier 2.UPSC is a completely different ball game.Clearing Pre and Mains is still one of the biggest task.Those(including me) giving advice Neyawn or others also had a tough times despite coming from much better family background(financially)
    SSC ya IBPS ya SBI po ya Railways exam pe focus karo initially if job is your first priority.
    IAS mein bahut mann hai toh IAS/PCS line pe bhi aa sakte ho ...but engineering background se IBPS/SSC nikalna jyada easy hai than IAS.Remember only 1000 ppl get to become IAS rest 5 lakh people don't become Civil Servant.
    Naukri,Shaadi,family sabki hoti hai lekin so be sure of what you really want.Don't entertain yourself with fantastic thoughts.SSC mein bahut bheed hai even IITians are in it now.Understand your human limitations.
  • I would advise you not to mix 2 thing in a single day initially.
    give 5 days to ssc fully. & in the remaining 2 days, do ncerts which are relevant for upsc.

going from 100 to 165 will take only 2 months preparation for Ssc. But getting under 500 rank in final list is difficult, so you have to prioritise SSC above UPSC for most part of 2018 and early 2019.

once you are done with WHOLE maths syllabus & have done atleast 5 years PYQs from any book, you may give more time to UPSC. at this stage, say 2 days to ssc and rest to UPSC. But focus solely on SSC a month or two before the final exam.

if you are in delhi, I would strongly advise enrolling in "Maths Special batch by rakesh yadav"- this is one investment you wont regret and this will ensure your syllabus is done on time.
    You have ample time to ace both exams & only Procrastination can ruin your journey! Plan well. Best wishes!
  • @kira
    @abhishek8969
    @mahi2501

You guys are right I guess I was trying to do too much. I graduated in 2015 3 years I have wasted chasing fruitless endeavors. If I am being honest I guess I was trying to desperately catch up to my successful peers. Even my juniors are furthering their careers. Ughhhh I am already fucking 25 and unemployed.

I guess I'll focus more or less purely on SSC CGL 2018. UPSC full time prep maybe in 2019 to 2020.

On a side note do you guys think Optionals will survive into 2020? I am just asking because I want to spend 1.5 hour per day on non SSC stuff. Maybe use that time for Optional or some other GS stuff.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog