How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Law Optional for UPSC - Key Takeaways

Hi guys,

I'm a law graduate from one of the top National Law Schools. I wrote my first mains this year with law optional. I thought I'd share some of my impressions and realizations during the course of the preparation with fellow aspirants. Here are some of my key takeaways while preparing law-

1.) There is hardly any guidance available for law optional online. There is a patent lack of resources and study material as well as guidance from senior candidates/successful candidates on their strategies, methods etc.
2.) There is a serious lack of good coachings and test series especially true for students outside Delhi.
3.) The subject can be extremely rewarding if you have the right resources and the preparation is good. But it is difficult to finish the syllabus in a holistic manner and focus on important areas due to a lack of guidance.
4.) Finishing the syllabus is a task as there are a lot of specific things that you have to internalize but honestly speaking they might not be very important from the point of view of UPSC. It is difficult to ascertain the risk and reward quotient of different parts of the syllabus unless you have a clear idea of the requirement of the paper.
5.) The questions are always on predictable lines - a good mixture of current affairs based questions and key concepts. Current affairs based questions have gained significant prominence over the years.
6.) It is easy to predict the line of questions hence answer writing becomes even more important.
7.) Content enrichment in the form of adding case laws and relevant provisions is extremely important to fetch good marks.
8.) There are hardly any resources available to understand the answer requirements- no model answers or topper's answers etc.

Unfortunately, due to a number of above mentioned limitations, I could not give my best this year. It took a lot of time just to collate resources and even then there was a patent lack of genuine and good feedback. There was no way to judge the direction of my preparation or whether my answer writing was upto the mark. Therefore, I suggest the following for people preparing for next year-
*I'd humbly request senior candidates/successful candidates to take some time out from their busy schedules and guide the aspirants.
*Answer writing and feedback are extremely important. Due to a lack of good coachings, peer collaboration and review become the most important way to improve.
*Most of the questions are now related to current affairs hence it becomes really important to constantly analyse legal current affairs and make a list of possible questions and try and answer them.
*Solving past year question papers is also a very good way to practice answer writing. Past year question are often repeated.
*Finally, make a clear strategy of how to cover topics and stick to it while also practicing answer writing simultaneously.

I'm planning to do all of the above for my next attempt in 2018 and looking for a group of motivated individuals for collaboration and peer review. If you are interested, you can pm me or reply to this thread and we can start as soon as possible. Any genuine suggestions to improve the method of preparation are also welcome.

Regards,
A fellow law aspirant.

Comments

• Hi guys,

I'm a law graduate from one of the top National Law Schools. I wrote my first mains this year with law optional. I thought I'd share some of my impressions and realizations during the course of the preparation with fellow aspirants. Here are some of my key takeaways while preparing law-

1.) There is hardly any guidance available for law optional online. There is a patent lack of resources and study material as well as guidance from senior candidates/successful candidates on their strategies, methods etc.
    2.) There is a serious lack of good coachings and test series especially true for students outside Delhi.
    3.) The subject can be extremely rewarding if you have the right resources and the preparation is good. But it is difficult to finish the syllabus in a holistic manner and focus on important areas due to a lack of guidance.
    4.) Finishing the syllabus is a task as there are a lot of specific things that you have to internalize but honestly speaking they might not be very important from the point of view of UPSC. It is difficult to ascertain the risk and reward quotient of different parts of the syllabus unless you have a clear idea of the requirement of the paper.
    5.) The questions are always on predictable lines - a good mixture of current affairs based questions and key concepts. Current affairs based questions have gained significant prominence over the years.
    6.) It is easy to predict the line of questions hence answer writing becomes even more important.
    7.) Content enrichment in the form of adding case laws and relevant provisions is extremely important to fetch good marks.
    8.) There are hardly any resources available to understand the answer requirements- no model answers or topper's answers etc.

Unfortunately, due to a number of above mentioned limitations, I could not give my best this year. It took a lot of time just to collate resources and even then there was a patent lack of genuine and good feedback. There was no way to judge the direction of my preparation or whether my answer writing was upto the mark. Therefore, I suggest the following for people preparing for next year-
    *I'd humbly request senior candidates/successful candidates to take some time out from their busy schedules and guide the aspirants.
    *Answer writing and feedback are extremely important. Due to a lack of good coachings, peer collaboration and review become the most important way to improve.
    *Most of the questions are now related to current affairs hence it becomes really important to constantly analyse legal current affairs and make a list of possible questions and try and answer them.
    *Solving past year question papers is also a very good way to practice answer writing. Past year question are often repeated.
    *Finally, make a clear strategy of how to cover topics and stick to it while also practicing answer writing simultaneously.

I'm planning to do all of the above for my next attempt in 2018 and looking for a group of motivated individuals for collaboration and peer review. If you are interested, you can pm me or reply to this thread and we can start as soon as possible. Any genuine suggestions to improve the method of preparation are also welcome.

Regards,
    A fellow law aspirant.

+100 nothing left to add.
    Hakuna matata.
  • I m In...llb frm Delhi Univ, wrote mains once, preparing fr 3rd attempt... I second your observations abt law optional.
  • I m in also...clc pass out..missed this year's pre cutoff by a thin margin..eying 2018..plz keep on posting stuffs... having seen this year's law paper I think that paper was not very off the trend, was doable...
    Can u tell is there any timing issue in law mains as usually happens in gs papers..people find it difficult to attempt all the questions even when one could have known all the answers?
  • edited November 2017
    I got decent marks last year so if you need some help, you can write your specific query.
  • lexdelhi said:

I m in also...clc pass out..missed this year's pre cutoff by a thin margin..eying 2018..plz keep on posting stuffs... having seen this year's law paper I think that paper was not very off the trend, was doable...
    Can u tell is there any timing issue in law mains as usually happens in gs papers..people find it difficult to attempt all the questions even when one could have known all the answers?

Time was indeed a constraint as it took me around 10-15 to decide which questions to attempt. Paper 2 was difficult, paper 1 was moderate. Paper 1 was lengthy, paper 2 was ok number of pages were less in paper2
  • Nananana said:

I got decent marks last year so if you need some help, you can write your specific query.

Can us hare your law marks.
    My query is regarding paper 2.How to score high in P2?
  • VIP said:

Nananana said:

I can't share exact marks but it was above 150 in paper2
  • I am a law graduate from a NLU as well. Going to give my first attempt in 2018.

@Legally Yours: Which books did you refer to for preparing law optional?
  • Nananana said:

VIP said:

Nananana said:

Great ,in that case Brother can you share your strategy and booklist for P2(law).
  • edited November 2017
    VIP said:

Nananana said:

VIP said:

Nananana said:

Great ,in that case Brother can you share your strategy and booklist for P2(law).
    Tort, contract - only bangia and bare act
    NI ACT, SGA, Partnership Act - bare acts must, notes,
    IPC - notes, bare act must
    CLD- no specific source
    In addition to this, i had purchased A K jain dukkis for all subject so i sometimes refer them for doubt clarification.
    Contract and tort are my strong areas so i revised them once or twice after pre 2017 since last mains.
    Bare acts are very important, if can quote exact section with definition nothing can fetch marks better than it. Also writing maxims, like les non cogit ad impossibilia or salus populi lex suprema est, enhances the quality of answers.
    Write essential every time you are dealing with anything sprcific like i wrote defamation essentials and definition of Winfield even though only defences were asked.
    I am not a law graduate so i don't complicate things unnecessarily but i go deep into question asked as far as legal aspect is concerned.
    Also don't miss case laws, give at least one case.
    Like in question of necessity in tort, most people have not written any case. I wrote about cope vs sharp case.
    This helped me to land around 160 last time
  • Nananana said:

VIP said:

Nananana said:

VIP said:

Nananana said:

Tort, contract - only bangia and bare act
    NI ACT, SGA, Partnership Act - bare acts must, notes,
    IPC - notes, bare act must
    CLD- no specific source
    In addition to this, i had purchased A K jain dukkis for all subject so i sometimes refer them for doubt clarification.
    Contract and tort are my strong areas so i revised them once or twice after pre 2017 since last mains.
    Bare acts are very important, if can quote exact section with definition nothing can fetch marks better than it. Also writing maxims, like les non cogit ad impossibilia or salus populi lex suprema est, enhances the quality of answers.
    Write essential every time you are dealing with anything sprcific like i wrote defamation essentials and definition of Winfield even though only defences were asked.
    I am not a law graduate so i don't complicate things unnecessarily but i go deep into question asked as far as legal aspect is concerned.
    Also don't miss case laws, give at least one case.
    Like in question of necessity in tort, most people have not written any case. I wrote about cope vs sharp case.
    This helped me to land around 160 last time
    Thanks a lot.
  • Nananana said:

lexdelhi said:

I m in also...clc pass out..missed this year's pre cutoff by a thin margin..eying 2018..plz keep on posting stuffs... having seen this year's law paper I think that paper was not very off the trend, was doable...

Time was indeed a constraint as it took me around 10-15 to decide which questions to attempt. Paper 2 was difficult, paper 1 was moderate. Paper 1 was lengthy, paper 2 was ok number of pages were less in paper2
    Thanks a lot bro..at least someone is guiding..
    Where to study civil protection act, prevention of corruption act from? How important are case materials
    And last but not the least can you please post any law answer written by you just to see the structure
  • edited November 2017
    lexdelhi said:

Nananana said:

lexdelhi said:

Thanks a lot bro..at least someone is guiding..
    Where to study civil protection act, prevention of corruption act from? How important are case materials
    And last but not the least can you please post any law answer written by you just to see the structure
    Pcra- go through bear act once and see type of offences in it and you can search for some articles online.
    PCA-- art13(1)(d) i had read specifically, otherwise general things from internet.
    Cases are ofcourse important, if you can write it's better. You cam skip cases for contemporary legal developments like rti topic but definitely not for conventional law part.
    I'll try to post some answers later.
  • I am a non law graduate and plan to write in 2019. I am very interested in this subject but am apprehensive about picking it due to lack of guidance. Can a non law grad student pick up this optional and perform well?I have zero background in law, the only thing I bring to the table is my interest in it. Am I at a severe disadvantage because I am a non law grad as I feel this is a technical subject and needs some guidance ?
    Is it advisable to pick law? I have rounded off law and psychology as my final optionals and am planning to finalise it by Jan next year. I will pick up law 100% if I have a little knowledge of how to write answers and a good booklist, if not I will move on to psychology. Someone please help.
  • Jtb90 said:

I am a non law graduate and plan to write in 2019. I am very interested in this subject but am apprehensive about picking it due to lack of guidance. Can a non law grad student pick up this optional and perform well?I have zero background in law, the only thing I bring to the table is my interest in it. Am I at a severe disadvantage because I am a non law grad as I feel this is a technical subject and needs some guidance ?
    Is it advisable to pick law? I have rounded off law and psychology as my final optionals and am planning to finalise it by Jan next year. I will pick up law 100% if I have a little knowledge of how to write answers and a good booklist, if not I will move on to psychology. Someone please help.

There is no optional like law. However there are some caveats in ur case. 1. U r not an llb- I know many ppl who have cleared it despite a non law background. Munish Sharma Air 2 and Saloni sidhhana rank 74, a doc, are some of the prominent names. However both took coaching frm nirvana. I think u Can consider going for nirvana. As a lawyer, my take on him is that h jst passes tym, but still I feel a non law background chap can rilly understand basics if guided by him. 2. Psychology in comparison to law is shorter in syllabus nd has a gud resource Base in terms of teachers (Pathak vaji I ve heard), books and other guidance. Law on the other hand has so much of a syllabus that it's a challenge in itself to complete it for llb's as well.3. Await this yrs law performance and compare it with psychology in terms of number of ppl on the list.am saying this cos law was butchered by upsc last yr. And then chose wisely, all the best
  • Jtb90 said:

I am a non law graduate and plan to write in 2019. I am very interested in this subject but am apprehensive about picking it due to lack of guidance. Can a non law grad student pick up this optional and perform well?I have zero background in law, the only thing I bring to the table is my interest in it. Am I at a severe disadvantage because I am a non law grad as I feel this is a technical subject and needs some guidance ?

My advise would be against it, there are many things in syllabus which even a law grad would find difficult like in contemporary legal developments which has no end. I am a non law graduate and cleared last year in my first attempt but i would suggest don't venture into this as you might regret it later. Not everyone is comfortable with law and non law graduates earlier who aced in this exam( like some has pointed above) had really good scores in gs as well which compensate for score in law, secondly they were lucky as law was fairly rewarded earlier. Law optional does not score very high as compared to other optional though it is easy to score average marks. It becomes extremely difficult to crack this exam in first attempt with law.
  • Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

My advise would be against it, there are many things in syllabus which even a law grad would find difficult like in contemporary legal developments which has no end. I am a non law graduate and cleared last year in my first attempt but i would suggest don't venture into this as you might regret it later. Not everyone is comfortable with law and non law graduates earlier who aced in this exam( like some has pointed above) had really good scores in gs as well which compensate for score in law, secondly they were lucky as law was fairly rewarded earlier. Law optional does not score very high as compared to other optional though it is easy to score average marks. It becomes extremely difficult to crack this exam in first attempt with law.
    *advice
  • Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

Not in any rude way but what made you choose law? You seem negative about it. I have almost 18 months till I write exams , won't they be enough to finish the syllabus? I will definitely keep your advice in mind when choosing the optional as you are more experienced and have cleared the exam with this optional. However I do have a few doubts
    1) How did you prepare for this subject considering that you too are not llb?
    2) What was the booklist you followed and time frame it took to complete syllabus?
    3)How did you analyse questions to understand what to write?
  • MayShaw said:

Jtb90 said:

There is no optional like law. However there are some caveats in ur case. 1. U r not an llb- I know many ppl who have cleared it despite a non law background. Munish Sharma Air 2 and Saloni sidhhana rank 74, a doc, are some of the prominent names. However both took coaching frm nirvana. I think u Can consider going for nirvana. As a lawyer, my take on him is that h jst passes tym, but still I feel a non law background chap can rilly understand basics if guided by him. 2. Psychology in comparison to law is shorter in syllabus nd has a gud resource Base in terms of teachers (Pathak vaji I ve heard), books and other guidance. Law on the other hand has so much of a syllabus that it's a challenge in itself to complete it for llb's as well.3. Await this yrs law performance and compare it with psychology in terms of number of ppl on the list.am saying this cos law was butchered by upsc last yr. And then chose wisely, all the best
    About point 3 wouldn't every subject have a equal chance of being butchered each year?A lot of people have said that interest in optional is a top priority however if I am interested in two or more optionals i have to choose the one with more chances of getting me selected right?
  • edited November 2017
    Jtb90 said:

Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

Not in any rude way but what made you choose law? You seem negative about it. I have almost 18 months till I write exams , won't they be enough to finish the syllabus? I will definitely keep your advice in mind when choosing the optional as you are more experienced and have cleared the exam with this optional. However I do have a few doubts
    2) What was the booklist you followed and time frame it took to complete syllabus?
    I am not negative about it, just 2 things which bother me:
    1. Out of all questions, only 50-60% is strictly law, rest is not conventional and when it is not conventional, it is vague.
    2. Be prepared to score average, it requires luck apart from real hard work to score good marks on par with other optionals. Though high scores in other optionals also require hard word but still you will find many people scoring like above 320(last year) but only one person scored 300 in law.
  • Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

I am not negative about it, just 2 things which bother me:
    1. Out of all questions, only 50-60% is strictly law, rest is not conventional and when it is not conventional, it is vague.
    2. Be prepared to score average, it requires luck apart from real hard work to score good marks on par with other optionals. Though high scores in other optionals also require hard word but still you will find many people scoring like above 320(last year) but only one person scored 300 in law.
    Thank you for taking time to reply to my query. At first I felt that you were critical and thought something along the lines of 'Ignore these naysayers and do what you want'. After thinking for sometime I realised that in case of upsc that doesn't work so much. You are obviously experienced and have even cleared the exam with law yet you advised me to reconsider taking law. I am much grateful to you for that. I have had this dilemma for months and was looking for a some authentic guidance. I am now titled more in favour of psychology 70:30 and have one final doubt which will seal the deal.

If I put in similar levels of hard work (15-18 months of harcore prep) for either law or psychology which one is more likely to yield better results? I really don't care much about butchering unless it happens for 2-3 yrs consecutively because every optional can face the axe at some point of time. So the question is which has a better cost to benefit ratio? I have equal interests for both subjects but in the end I have to chose the one which will help in selection
  • Nananana said:

Jtb90 said:

Given that u(jtb) r non law, I think a non law(nananana) background's advice should be appreciated more. Because h has been through the complexities involved in understanding the subject without a back ground
  • edited November 2017
    I am sorry i can't comment on psychology.
    But i think paper 1 of psychology is chill, it has learning, memory, attention, intelligence, etc topics which are quite easy and interesting and can be covered by NCERT, baron, atkinson, king but i didn't like those application based topics in paper2 in pyschology. So i didn't opt for it. However now after reading the law syllabus i think those application based topics were less vagur topics than the questions asked in law like very general questions about environment, MRTP, etc.
    So i believe syllabus you can easily cover for both pyschology and law in 6 months. So make an informed choice now. You can buy a book like bangia of contract and ncerts of pyschology and give it a try as you have so much time, so experiment amd decide yourself.
  • Nananana said:

But i think paper 1 of psychology is chill, it has learning, memory, attention, intelligence, etc topics which are quite easy and interesting and can be covered by NCERT, baron, atkinson, king but i didn't like those application based topics in paper2 in pyschology. So i didn't opt for it. However now after reading the law syllabus i think those application based topics were less vagur topics than the questions asked in law like very general questions about environment, MRTP, etc.
    So i believe syllabus you can easily cover for both pyschology and law in 6 months. So make an informed choice now. You can buy a book like bangia of contract and ncerts of pyschology and give it a try as you have so much time, so experiment amd decide yourself.

I have ordered Bangia now and have NCERT psychology books. I will give them both a read before making a final decision. Do you mind if I pm you doubts once I have decided the optional or 99% sure of something? If I choose law can you help me a bit regarding how to write answers and understand quests?
  • Jtb90 said:

Nananana said:

I have ordered Bangia now and have NCERT psychology books. I will give them both a read before making a final decision. Do you mind if I pm you doubts once I have decided the optional or 99% sure of something? If I choose law can you help me a bit regarding how to write answers and understand quests?
    I'll try to reply if i am not busy.
  • @Nananana How many marks did you get in the optional and what service did you get allotted?
    If you don't mind me asking.

• edited November 2017
    Around 250/500 ( not telling exact), IRS( don't ask IT or customs) @Legally_Yours
  • Is there any discussion grp for law optional or we can do that here itself ?
  • MS1408 said:

Is there any discussion grp for law optional or we can do that here itself ?

For 2017 mains discussion. http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1471824/#Comment_1471824
  • MayShaw said:

MS1408 said:

Is there any discussion grp for law optional or we can do that here itself ?

For 2017 mains discussion. http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1471824/#Comment_1471824
    thank you
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog