How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!

Which resources do u think are lacking in psychology. I hv got time resources and enough command !

edited October 2017 in Psychology
Hi friends as you all are aware through the thread http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/28086/shunned-all-prep-n-going-for-gmat-n-then-startup/#Item_152
that I m moving out of this preparation but always scored well in psychology.Twice reached interview and psychology was the major contributor .I think few resources are lacking in psychology preparation namely ;
1.A single comprehensive book on paper 1
2.No solved question and answer compilation of mains papers of last year.
3.No comprehensive resource on statistics
4.No compilation of all case studies
I wish to provide handbooks on all above topics in next 6 to 10 months.
I want your feedback and if u wish u can add to d material lacking in market! Thanks a lot!!

Comments

• edited October 2017
    A few topics on which I don't have quality material are:
    grounded theory approach
    Research designs (ex-post facto and experimental); Application of statistical technique (t - test, two way ANOVA correlation, regression and factor analysis); Item response theory
    Recent trends part of thinking and attitude chapters
    Computer application in the psychological laboratory and psychological testing; Psychocybernetics,Simulation studies
    I would appreciate if u could guide me on sources for these topics!plus is there any site that u would recommend to follow for our optional?
    And the solved q/a compilation would be great help i think
    Thanks a ton for even thinking of investing ur time...it is a lot if u indeed wish to work on these handbooks
  • Hi friends as you all are aware through the thread http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/28086/shunned-all-prep-n-going-for-gmat-n-then-startup/#Item_152
    that I m moving out of this preparation but always scored well in psychology.Twice reached interview and psychology was the major contributor .I think few resources are lacking in psychology preparation namely ;
    I want your feedback and if u wish u can add to d material lacking in market! Thanks a lot!!

Absolutely there are scattered resources and some resources are not available easily. Also I think understanding the syllabus is also important.
    Just wait and watch...
  • For statistics part of ur queries there is pdf of sternberg book n one bharti bhawan publication book on stats in psychology which u ll find at kumar book center.
    Then as the cognitive psychology appears to be main part of most of the questions nowadays esp in ppr1,u can refer to one book dedicated to cognitive psychology part .I ll suggest going through Atkinson n hilgard book.
    But rather than all this ..pls go through pathak sirs notes both classroom n printed ones.Then do some focussed research on all previous year pprs.ur score will improve .
    There are few sites I ll inbox u.
    I m seriously going to pursue that solved mains part ..rest orders will see as time permits.
  • Hyper said:

Hi friends as you all are aware through the thread http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/28086/shunned-all-prep-n-going-for-gmat-n-then-startup/#Item_152

Absolutely there are scattered resources and some resources are not available easily. Also I think understanding the syllabus is also important.
    Yup agreed.Will try to fix d dilemma.
  • Arrey u leaving prep?? Bpsc mains de raha h na?? All the best for ur future endeavors

• Rasputin said:

Arrey u leaving prep?? Bpsc mains de raha h na?? All the best for ur future endeavors

No all shunned
  • Whyyyyy u idiot? Giiiive... 244 SDM posts HAIN.. agar nai bhi padha toh aise hi de Dena... I m hearing this a mass SDM recruitment n won't happen again for a long time... U myt regret not appearing 5 yrs later.. optional BHI h. Psychology toh strong hai hi tera... De de bro

• Rasputin said:

Whyyyyy u idiot? Giiiive... 244 SDM posts HAIN.. agar nai bhi padha toh aise hi de Dena... I m hearing this a mass SDM recruitment n won't happen again for a long time... U myt regret not appearing 5 yrs later.. optional BHI h. Psychology toh strong hai hi tera... De de bro

Are jane de yaar..ye sab se upper uth gaya main.
  • Mukul pathak sabse bada murkh hai.
    BAN ALL INSIDERS

Can u please point out what he lacks in a simple n humble language so that it can be improved. Moreover pls refrain from taking names.

Can u please point out what he lacks in a simple n humble language so that it can be improved. Moreover pls refrain from taking names.
    Hi..u have been through all of Pathak sir's notes right?I am not a beginner in psychology-have read basic books like morgan and ciccarelli plus other stuff and given mains twice.Should i read his notes?I have both classroom and printed ones but don't really want to go through both sets so would like to take ur advice

Hi..u have been through all of Pathak sir's notes right?I am not a beginner in psychology-have read basic books like morgan and ciccarelli plus other stuff and given mains twice.Should i read his notes?I have both classroom and printed ones but don't really want to go through both sets so would like to take ur advice
    If you have read the basics through books and you feel that it covers the syllabus well (all the topics however small they might be) then only u can avoid reading a concise firm of notes like classroom stuff of pathak sir.
    In any other case I will advice you to go through the classroom n printed both in order to cover the syllabus topics completely.
  • @Amrendrabahubali please give some last minute tips for psychology optional
    Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.
    well, in the end, it is all about Success.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIp5Tfkgwf4
    Avoid forum if u wanna clear cse.

1.Revise whatever you have read till now.All books n notes to get a feel of completeness.
    2.Always give examples from real life ,your own unique ones however crude they might be.
    3.choose questions wisely.Try to answer all questions but don't bluff if you don't know it.leave it blank.
    Paper 2 :smile:
    1.it is different from paper 1 .Here ur psychology knowledge is asked for bit your general understanding of things which might come from GS or ur own real life understanding ,all come to play.
    Give a generalised view of the questions rather than putting up a rote memory display taken from smarak swain or pathak sir test series.
    Write with confidence and conviction. EVEN a wrong answer may fetch marks if u have given examples from real life e.g.
    1.in "Mental plus muscle" question you can give example of vixen draft sehwag angry Roger Federer (but with explanations).
    Idea is to set yourself free and give as many perspectives without sounding theoretical at all .

1.Revise whatever you have read till now.All books n notes to get a feel of completeness.
    2.Always give examples from real life ,your own unique ones however crude they might be.
    3.choose questions wisely.Try to answer all questions but don't bluff if you don't know it.leave it blank.
    1.it is different from paper 1 .Here ur psychology knowledge is asked for bit your general understanding of things which might come from GS or ur own real life understanding ,all come to play.
    Give a generalised view of the questions rather than putting up a rote memory display taken from smarak swain or pathak sir test series.
    Write with confidence and conviction. EVEN a wrong answer may fetch marks if u have given examples from real life e.g.
    1.in "Mental plus muscle" question you can give example of vixen draft sehwag angry Roger Federer (but with explanations).
    Idea is to set yourself free and give as many perspectives without sounding theoretical at all .
    thank you :smiley:
    Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.
    well, in the end, it is all about Success.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIp5Tfkgwf4
    Avoid forum if u wanna clear cse.
  • Edit : virendra sehwag and Roger Federer. ..typo*

If you have read the basics through books and you feel that it covers the syllabus well (all the topics however small they might be) then only u can avoid reading a concise firm of notes like classroom stuff of pathak sir.
    In any other case I will advice you to go through the classroom n printed both in order to cover the syllabus topics completely.
    Thanks.what's better-classroom or printed notes?

Thanks.what's better-classroom or printed notes?
    Classroom notes to be supplemented by printed ones whenever required.The best guide to know where it is required is ; question papers and the topics mentioned in syllabus.
    Example-projective tests are mentioned in syllabus but in 2012 all of a sudden it's types and the critical analyis were asked. If u don't find the topics in class notes ,u need to fill it through either printed materisl or some net search.previous year papers are best guide if one spends some time with it.

Idea is to set yourself free and give as many perspectives without sounding theoretical at all.
    So in paper 2 one should be very general right?
    I noticed this also when I attempted test series, the answers where I wrote very general and "apne man SE" I got better marks than answers where I try to write theory. I want to ask one thing. As I have revised paper 1 sufficient ly but not paper 2. Should I just revise paper 1 again in the one day gap from mains paper, or should I focus on paper 2 also. Can I get okay marks in paper 2 just by writing general content? Because I think if I revise paper 1 one more time before exam it might be better?
    What do you suggest? How did you write for paper 2 and paper1?
  • Revise paper 1 thoroughly and relax. .u will actually score better in paper 2 if u be z bit creative n write a generalised answer without taking pain.
  • omnicrave said:

@Amrendrabahubali please give some last minute tips for psychology optional

Idea is to set yourself free and give as many perspectives without sounding theoretical at all.
    I noticed this also when I attempted test series, the answers where I wrote very general and "apne man SE" I got better marks than answers where I try to write theory. I want to ask one thing. As I have revised paper 1 sufficient ly but not paper 2. Should I just revise paper 1 again in the one day gap from mains paper, or should I focus on paper 2 also. Can I get okay marks in paper 2 just by writing general content? Because I think if I revise paper 1 one more time before exam it might be better?
    I have not read Pathak sir notes and have read only Morgan + ncert + internet search for topics given in books.
  • omnicrave said:

omnicrave said:

@Amrendrabahubali please give some last minute tips for psychology optional

I have not read Pathak sir notes and have read only Morgan + ncert + internet search for topics given in books.
    For paper 1 given the pattern we have now,this is sufficient to score handsome .For paper 2 apply all u hv read till today ;in gs,essay real life all.
    Now focus on what u hv done and believe me u will be pleasantly surprised that even toppers read this much.
  • Revise paper 1 thoroughly and relax. .u will actually score better in paper 2 if u be z bit creative n write a generalised answer without taking pain.

Thanks . Relieves some pressure!
  • omnicrave said:

Revise paper 1 thoroughly and relax. .u will actually score better in paper 2 if u be z bit creative n write a generalised answer without taking pain.

Thanks . Relieves some pressure!
    I m saying with conviction given the fact that I scored 325 plus in 600 pattern with the same perspective and resources. (Mind u that only that only 20 ppl were above me in scoring)
    Go with absolute confidence.
  • @Amrendrabahubali Can you give a source for values and interests in topic 12 paper 1, specially 'strategies for fostering values'.
  • smoke said:

@Amrendrabahubali Can you give a source for values and interests in topic 12 paper 1, specially 'strategies for fostering values'.

It has been thoroughly covered in the class notes of Mukul pathak and smarak swains education psychology.There are various resources but better make use of existing ones and innovate.
    For example-N.vittal, former CVC talks about value education to eradicate corruption throughout the school.
    Panchatantra of vishnu sharma and Authoritative parenting styles where parents and value oriented teachers could prove to be a big source of inspiration for kids!
  • smoke said:

@Amrendrabahubali Can you give a source for values and interests in topic 12 paper 1, specially 'strategies for fostering values'.

It has been thoroughly covered in the class notes of Mukul pathak and smarak swains education psychology.There are various resources but better make use of existing ones and innovate.
    For example-N.vittal, former CVC talks about value education to eradicate corruption throughout the school.
    Panchatantra of vishnu sharma and Authoritative parenting styles where parents and value oriented teachers could prove to be a big source of inspiration for kids!
    Thank you!

Actually haven't opened smarak swain yet (wanted to comment only after reading that). Making notes for paper 1 now and I do not have Mukul Pathak notes, but from above comments and what other seniors say his notes are not necessary i guess.

And yes from what you said, observational learning and operant conditioning can also be mentioned right.
  • smoke said:

smoke said:

Thank you!

Actually haven't opened smarak swain yet (wanted to comment only after reading that). Making notes for paper 1 now and I do not have Mukul Pathak notes, but from above comments and what other seniors say his notes are not necessary i guess.

And yes from what you said, observational learning and operant conditioning can also be mentioned right.
    Yup do mention all kinds of behavioural n cognitive learning (insight learning as well) but remember just dropping names and definitions won't suffice.Explaining the concepts does the trick.
  • smoke said:

smoke said:

Thank you!

Yup do mention all kinds of behavioural n cognitive learning (insight learning as well) but remember just dropping names and definitions won't suffice.Explaining the concepts does the trick.
    Yes yes, in fact I have a tricky memory where it is easy to recall explanations and examples but not names and definitions.
  • smoke said:

smoke said:

smoke said:

Thank you!

Yes yes, in fact I have a tricky memory where it is easy to recall explanations and examples but not names and definitions.
    Blv me u r in for a gud score especially in ppr 2
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog