ForumIAS New Batch Announcement 

MGP Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)       PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP + Batch C: (Starts 25th January, Ends 17th September)    PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 
MGP Batch C (Rapid): (Starts 25th Jan, Ends 19th Apr)              PLAN DOCUMENT        PAYMENT LINK 

The dude named George Berkeley

edited October 2013 in Philosophy
George Berkeley is considered to be an empiricist. But why? Empiricism believes that knowledge comes only through sensory experience while this dude outrightly rejected the existence of matter which is sensed with all our 5 senses. Can someone please explain it? Thanks.
I don't like to reply to idiots and if you think I am referring to you, you are probably correct.

Comments

• Berkeley believed that we can never experience material substances. What we experience are sensory qualities. There's a laptop in front of me, Berkeley would ask is it really? According to him I can only have experience of its sensory qualities such as it's shape, color, texture. I only have these qualities, where's the substance. These qualities are in my mind. They are not something out there, different from me. The only existence of a substances is mental, in their being perceived. Thus material world exists only in our perceptions.

Berkeley is an inconsistent empiricist, because he further says that two kinds of mental substances exist, we in the form of finite minds and god in the form of infinite mind, without any empirical proof. Also his argument for the existence of physical substances as only being in our minds is an exercise in rational thought.
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know." - Sucker Punch
    *********************************************************************************************
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog