MITRA'S IAS - Fresh batches of Philosophy : 25th June (Evening)-5:15PM - 7:15PM & 29th June (Morning)-11AM-1PM ; FREE SEMINAR ON 25TH JUNE, 5.15PM Subject To Availability Of Seats
For more information call us at - Tel. No :- 01145505509, Mob. No-8826469839, 9560928172 or
Mail us at :- mitrasiasclasses@gmail.com
, Website:- www.mitrasias.com
Download Topper's answer booklet: (1) Ravi Agarwal(Rank-94, 2016), (2) Vivek Kumar(Rank-200, 2016) (3) Athar Aamir 1st booklet and 2nd booklet(Rank-2)
ForumIAS Community Meet 2017 on 25th June at 11 AM - You are invited

Dear Friends, ForumIAS Annual Community Meet will be held on June 25th at 11AM in Old Rajinder Nagar, New Delhi. The Chief Guest for the event will be Suharsh Bhagat, IAS Rank 5, CSE 2014. Come join us , and meet ForumIAS members who have secured ranks this year. Click here to register

INDUS VALLEY-HORSE QUESTION

This is what i wrote to shahsi tharoor...! we know that he wrote a letter to upsc last year reagarding endandered species..So i again wrote this letter.If many people write similar letters to him ,i ma sure he would understand the urgency of matter and again would write to upsc.
Dear Sir,
I am writing this mail on behalf of lakhs of upsc aspirants who appeared in civil service prelims examination,which was conducted on 18th June 2017.We have decided to approach your good self regarding one of the question that appeared in the preliminary exams.
The question asked in exam is
With reference to the difference between the culture of Rigvedic Aryans and Indus Valley people, which of the following statements is/are correct?

1. Rigvedic Aryans used the coat of mail and helmet in warfare whereas the people of Indus Valley Civilization did not leave any evidence of using them.
2. Rigvedic Aryans knew gold, silver and copper whereas Indus Valley people knew only copper and iron.
3. Rigvedic Aryans had domesticated the horse whereas there is no evidence of Indus Valley people having been aware of this animal.

Select the correct answer using the code given below:
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3

Sir as this debate about horses in Indus valley civilisation isn't​ settled and historians have argued both for and against it..
We have had remains of horses in surkodata,which dates to Indus valley civilisation period.Horse ashes and also terracota toys of horse have also been found.
We therefore request you,as an eminent historian of India and public spirited MP ,to intervene on behalf of aspirants and request UPSC,like you did last year, to award marks for both options A and C.and that would do justice to all aspirants .

·

Comments

• Good job bro!
    Did you provide excerpts from R.S Sharma as well. Am thinking of doing the same by following upon your work.
    We may tweet for the above cause as well, 2.67 marks is a game changer!
    You can count me in for anything to be done for the above mentioned.
    ·
  • We should contact UPSC as well
    r s sharma .jpg
    518 x 494 - 121K
    ·
  • Question asks about evidence and there is obviously some evidence about the presence of horse. It is not asking whether they domesticated horse or xyz
    ·
  • Send an overview of the question paper as well along with specific questions. You should hint that these sort of ambiguous questions only does bad to the aspirants and is a no win situation for everyone.
    ·
  • It is surprising to see my first attempt resting on a dead horse lying under Surkotada.!! If he is still there, I score 108. If not, 105.33. HaHa.!!
    ·
  • Archaeology and history has proof of horse skeletons in IVC, don't see why marks should be awarded for both! Only one answer to this, unlike the vague subjective pol sci ones.
    Once of Bits P, now an "anti-national" at JNU. Joy Aai Axom.
    ·
  • Archaeology and history has proof of horse skeletons in IVC, don't see why marks should be awarded for both! Only one answer to this, unlike the vague subjective pol sci ones.

Agreed. The third sentence clearly says "no evidence" when ASI has found evidence. :smiley:
    ·
  • If UPSC says no horse I'll sue Ashutosh Gowariker
    MDaro Horse.jpg
    1280 x 536 - 113K
    ·
  • edited June 19
    I believe all those people who have studied Indus valley civilzation from old/new ncert know that surkotada is famous site known for its horse remains, mohenjadaro is known for its great bath, harrapa site for its grainary, lothal for its dockyard, dholavira for its irrigation plan, though scientists opinion may vary but in any case "no horse evidence" in case of IVC couldn't be correct.
    ·
  • bhai log i studied somewhere i dont remember and one of test series in which they mentioned indus valley ppeople were aware of horses but they didnot make use of it like rig veda
    ·
  • edited June 19
    Let's settle this debate. This question has been lifted from here VERBATIM. Repeat. VERBATIM.
    Answer is C. IVC was not aware of horse.
    Capture2.JPG
    731 x 405 - 65K
    Capture2.JPG 64.6K
    ·
  • clearly in last statement it is written there is no evidence......we have evidence right from Surkotada
    ·
  • edited June 19
    key words are " no evidence of ivp having been aware of this animal." but evidence in the form of skeleton is there.

also words used in that book is unfamiliar there is subtle difference IMO
    like... I am unfamiliar to big cats ... and I am not aware of big cats B)
    ·
  • Let's settle this debate. This question has been lifted from here VERBATIM. Repeat. VERBATIM.
    Answer is C. IVC was not aware of horse.

Bhai ye sabko pata hai aur sabne ye galat bhi maana hua hai. Baaki surkotada vale point ka koi answer ho toh batao. Books toh bahut hain jinmein se research karke kaafi points nikale ja sakte hain.
    ·
  • i ordered four vedas and mohenjodaro movie dvd from flipkart to clear all ur doubts. :p
    ·
  • So if a horse skeleton was there.. answer is option "A"...??? I marked a even though statement 1 seems highly unlikely too... but I remembered reading that horse skeleton has been found in NCERT...
    Yahan pe sab Pokemon hain.
    ·
  • Rasputin said:

So if a horse skeleton was there.. answer is option "A"...??? I marked a even though statement 1 seems highly unlikely too... but I remembered reading that horse skeleton has been found in NCERT...

yes its given in rs sharma and upinder singh.. but you are right, first statement is also dubious..they picked up this question from some substandard book..
    duniya..
    ·
  • mitraark said:

If UPSC says no horse I'll sue Ashutosh Gowariker

Hhaaaaa ye sahi hai
    ·
  • edited June 19
    I left this question.

Why is UPSC unnecessarily delving into controversial history after being away from it for quite some time now ??
    Last truly controversial question was asked in 2003 mains.
    "When life ends up breathtakingly fucked, you can generally trace it back to ONE BIG BAD DECISION. The one which sent you down the road to Shitsberg". -Deadpool
    ·
  • Guys, good news and bad news. Good news is that Balyan's coaching thinks answer is 1 only and he is a history teacher. The bad news is that he also thinks that Indian Federation is an agreement between the States so can't trust him :smiley:
    ·
  • It is clear the examiner is a dolt having picked the answer from a historian cum head priest's book. Maybe he is the real examiner!

Anyway, since they've gone to the trouble of quoting verbatim from this book, they will take to it for the answer also. That's how the dumb UPSC works.

Good on you for involving Tharoor. Hope this works out.
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
    ·
  • kobrabhai said:

Question asks about evidence and there is obviously some evidence about the presence of horse. It is not asking whether they domesticated horse or xyz

are bhai kal gujarat me ek dinosour ki bhi site hai paas me surkotada ke, to fir dinosaur bhi evidence sayad exist ho indus civ me and with extinction of civ, they also disappeared..

this is highlyillogical and this is not ur fault.. this is fault of upsc.. is tarah se ag sahi se galat aur galat se sahi iye gaye to 4000-5000 log andar bahar hote rahenge.. kuch karna hoga,,
    ·
  • Catman said:

Guys, good news and bad news. Good news is that Balyan's coaching thinks answer is 1 only and he is a history teacher. The bad news is that he also thinks that Indian Federation is an agreement between the States so can't trust him :smiley:

no we can trust him.... he knows only and only history nothing else :D :D
    ·
  • Smart Man said:

kobrabhai said:

Question asks about evidence and there is obviously some evidence about the presence of horse. It is not asking whether they domesticated horse or xyz

are bhai kal gujarat me ek dinosour ki bhi site hai paas me surkotada ke, to fir dinosaur bhi evidence sayad exist ho indus civ me and with extinction of civ, they also disappeared..

this is highlyillogical and this is not ur fault.. this is fault of upsc.. is tarah se ag sahi se galat aur galat se sahi iye gaye to 4000-5000 log andar bahar hote rahenge.. kuch karna hoga,,
    bhai kya logic de raho yaar.. carbon dating etc se ye pata karte hai whether it is from same time period or not..Gazab..
    duniya..
    ·
  • edited June 19
    Catman said:

Guys, good news and bad news. Good news is that Balyan's coaching thinks answer is 1 only and he is a history teacher. The bad news is that he also thinks that Indian Federation is an agreement between the States so can't trust him :smiley:

bhai pro bjp historian makhan lal ki book me likha hai indus valley me horse ke baare me..marxist rs sharma ne bhi likha hai.. neutral upinder singh ne bhi likha hai.. ab isse jyada koi evidence nahi ho sakta.. still if upsc considers some obscure book to fir to unfair hoga
    duniya..
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google