NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

Zoology OR Botany for IFoS?? [Non life science background aspirant]

I am going with FORESTRY as one of the optionals. Did B.Tech in Electronics and had Anthropology as CSE optional.(Read topics like genetics-found them interesting).
I am not at all comfortable with Mathematics and Geology seems uninteresting as well.
Is ZOOLOGY or BOTANY as second optional manageable? Which one has a shorter syllabus and better scoring chances?

P.S I won't be applying for CSE this year(Only IFoS), so will have around 5 months exclusively for IFoS mains prep.
PLEASE HELP.
·

Comments

• Advantages with Botany:
    1. Shorter syllabus than Zoology
    2. Botany will help in preparing few topics of forestry.
    3. Paper 2 is easy. If you are comfortable with genetics then you will find second paper easy and interesting.
    4. 2 questions in paper 2 come from ecology and environment which you can write without much preparation. Further one question comes from statistics which being an engineer you can manage easily.

Limitation:
    1. Paper 1 of botany is lengthy and you may face problems if you did not study it in 11th-12th.
    2. 2 units in paper 1 are pure ratta with difficult botanical terminologies.

On balance botany is better than zoology especially if you are not from life science background and other optional if forestry.
    ·
  • @UDAYSHETTY Thanks for the suggestions, really helpful. Do you happen to know the booklist for botany? From where to start?
    ·
  • You can start with NCERT(11th -12th ).
    Take the correspondence material from evolution IAS. There are many video lectures available on YouTube. Watch Video lectures which are for preparation of medical entrance(botany). They will help in building basics especially for topics like taxonomy and anatomy.
    ·
  • Book list:
    1. Fundamental of genetics by BD Singh.
    2. Plant Breeding by BD Singh.
    3. Plant Physiology by VK Jain.
    4. Angiosperm by BP Pandey.
    5. Shankar IAS/ Erach Barucha for ecology.

Be very selective while reading these books. Stick to the syllabus. Don't read topics which are not mentioned in syllabus.
    ·
  • I will go with zoology..uske bare me short me batao koi, kya PMT k books se basic topics kar k Q&A dekh lun? ..11-12 bio padha hai..topics dekh k lagta hai k ho sakta hai..300-320 hi sahi attempt ho jaye bas, 4 me se 2 section poora kar sakta hun jisse 240 attempt kr pau + baki section A of paper 1 aur Paper 2 me wo biomolucules was section jese tese karna padega
    Prelims - 2, Mains - 1, Interview - 0.

Optional philosophy, Chomu-philosopher + Chomu-engineer!
    ·
  • Guys, I am in a similar spot. I'm thinking of taking a break as it is my last attempt (any advice?). I'm and engineer but only on paper. One optional is Forestry. What are decent other decent options: Animal Husbandry, Zoology, Botany, or Statistics?
    Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends than that good men should look on and do nothing.
    ·
  • edited February 25
    @handshake People have done well with physics/maths along with forestry. Hope this helps

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1100361/#Comment_1100361
    Dream it, it doesn’t take much.
    ·
  • Crack CIVIL SERVICES INTERVIEW
    Ace the interview and Get your Dream Job...
    Become Civil Servant this year Only
    Prepare for Interviews with best Interview Experts....
    Start Preparation Early...Get an extra edge over other candidates

CLICK HERE
    ·
  • I will go with zoology..uske bare me short me batao koi, kya PMT k books se basic topics kar k Q&A dekh lun? ..11-12 bio padha hai..topics dekh k lagta hai k ho sakta hai..300-320 hi sahi attempt ho jaye bas, 4 me se 2 section poora kar sakta hun jisse 240 attempt kr pau + baki section A of paper 1 aur Paper 2 me wo biomolucules was section jese tese karna padega

Bhai ab 300 attempt s kaam nai chalega.. Remember this time fos is 1 month after mains..the maths/physics guys will run over other optionals as now they can give ample time to forestry. Whatever optional we are choosing we have to do it thoroughly nowonwards.
    ·
  • @UDAYSHETTY bro, is ignou sufficient to cover botany? Or we have to refer to standard books??
    ·

Bhai ab 300 attempt s kaam nai chalega.. Remember this time fos is 1 month after mains..the maths/physics guys will run over other optionals as now they can give ample time to forestry. Whatever optional we are choosing we have to do it thoroughly nowonwards.
    Yes bro...but how can we prepare a subject in such a short time? I mean Forsetry to theek hai..baki har subject me 3-4 month to lagega at least..+ civils bhi hai...what do you suggest? But I will be going with zoology only...Geology seems too technical for me, MAth/Physics/Chem are out of reach. Mech Engg is impossible for me. Botany is good but I find animal stuff more intesreting, even in 11-12. One option left is agri engg, but no guidance and peer prep group. What should be done?

·
  • Same here bro, it's extremely difficult to clear with geology now as many are opting for it. We cant complete maths/physics till dec even without csm. Engg subjects should b avoided as we dont have proper guidance for that.
    Botany has some overlap with forestry as well. And its shorter than zoology. Thats why i am thinking abt it.
    @UDAYSHETTY bro how long did it take to cover botany? Can only ignou booklets suffice?
    ·
  • Same here bro, it's extremely difficult to clear with geology now as many are opting for it. We cant complete maths/physics till dec even without csm. Engg subjects should b avoided as we dont have proper guidance for that.
    Botany has some overlap with forestry as well. And its shorter than zoology. Thats why i am thinking abt it.
    @UDAYSHETTY bro how long did it take to cover botany? Can only ignou booklets suffice?

Haan..all the best bhai..very few options for gareeb people like us in ifos

·

Haan..all the best bhai..very few options for gareeb people like us in ifos
    Yar galti mains optional lete time ho gyi..usi samay ifos optional lena chahiye tha..now we have invested so.much time and energy in that..its difficult to start over again.
    ·
  • @baba ilaichi Do tell me if you decide to go with botany. We will form a group or something to remain in touch. I have done a lot of research on which one to choose-Zoology and botany. For guys going for zoology,it's good and as scoring as botany if not more , lengthy syllabus but similarity of some topics with school syllabus and Part A,B thing in each paper makes it more manageable and systematic.(No such thing in botany).And yes it is rightly said above that due to the increased competition,no half measures would do and one needs to put both time and effort, especially non life sciences aspirants choosing subjects like botany, zoology.All the best
    @stonecold_srivastav
    ·
  • @arma3349 yup i am going thro the sources. will decide in a day or two whether to go with botany or zoology. Will inform you.
    ·
  • @"बाबा इलायची" 3-4 months for proper preparation. Unit 2 and 3 of Paper 1 take most time. If you had biology you can cover topics quickly. Start with taxonomy and anatomy part (unit 2-3 P1). It will give you idea about the subject. Continue with Botany optional only if you are comfortable with this part.

No idea about IGNOU material. Usually they are good. Books like BP Pandey BD Singh are must for good answer writing.
    ·
  • arma3349 said:

@baba ilaichi Do tell me if you decide to go with botany. We will form a group or something to remain in touch. I have done a lot of research on which one to choose-Zoology and botany. For guys going for zoology,it's good and as scoring as botany if not more , lengthy syllabus but similarity of some topics with school syllabus and Part A,B thing in each paper makes it more manageable and systematic.(No such thing in botany).And yes it is rightly said above that due to the increased competition,no half measures would do and one needs to put both time and effort, especially non life sciences aspirants choosing subjects like botany, zoology.All the best
    @stonecold_srivastav

I'm in with botany too. Zoology might be bit lengthy (though interesting) for short time preparation. We'll do the group thing for preparation.
    ·
  • @yudodis Yes a group would be helpful.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google