ForumIAS:Current Affairs & Newspaper Analysis 2018(Morning Batch)
Batch will be started on 23rd December Click here

Mains 2016 Aspirants: What Worked For You?

Hi there,
All those who appeared in mains 2016, congrats! :smile: Whether success or failure, you people are awesome!
I know some of the aspirants here whom I used to follow through @IWRA bhai's one hour challenge. :smiley:
As you all have struggled these days, I would like to know what worked for you and what didnt?
And please mention how you prepared during those 70 days after pre? How to manage time?
Thanks alot. Your inputs would be helpful for aspirants like me who would give their first attempt this year!
Please mention your strategy?
Thanks and Congo!
Its Not What You Did These Days That Matter!
It Is Final 100 Days Countdown That Matters!

Comments

• edited February 21
    50% Luck + 40% Hard Work + 10% prayers and ghar ke bado ka aashirwaad.... :)
    CSM 2015 | CSE 2016 - Ranked it Out!!
    Thank Lord Shiva...
  • 50% Luck + 40% Hard Work + 10% prayers and ghar ke bado ka aashirwaad.... :)

Bhai, so major part is played by luck, you say? :open_mouth:

40% hardwork? How much percentage of syllabus, can you please say?
    Thanks!

Thanks!
    Believe it or not luck plays a major role. 30-50%.

Some factors where luck matters include: butchering of optional, mood of examiner while checking ur copy etc.. I wish I cud give you detailed empirical proofs.

Last year butchering of Geography ditched my attempt. Then only I truly realised the importance of luck.

Looking forward to be a 'dabangg' IPS. :p
    Thank Lord Shiva...
  • All the best for your interview bhai!
    Let success embrace you!

Thanks!
    Believe it or not luck plays a major role. 30-50%.

Some factors where luck matters include: butchering of optional, mood of examiner while checking ur copy etc.. I wish I cud give you detailed empirical proofs.

Last year butchering of Geography ditched my attempt. Then only I truly realised the importance of luck.

Looking forward to be a 'dabangg' IPS. :p
    so this year you wrote with geo or changed it ??
  • ^^
    Geography only...

Would never suggest to change optional in a snap decision...
    Thank Lord Shiva...
  • @mayurasharman as rightly said by sir, luck plays a major factor.... do saal se interview de raha hoon but dono baar missed the final list by couple of marks... isse saal maybe luck kuch accha hoga... aur list meine naam dekhne ko milega..

I believe hard work plays a major role.... but luck as an equal role to play if not more..

+1
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

+1
  • edited February 22

50% Luck + 40% Hard Work + 10% prayers and ghar ke bado ka aashirwaad.... :)

Thanks!
    Yes, Luck playes a major role. In some cases, I would say luck buries excellent people in ground. I hv faced failures in my previous attempts due to bizarre things like butchering of Geography in 2015. This time I guess things worked in my favour.

The sooner aspirants and UPSC realizes this, the sooner we can minimize the randomness of this ecosystem.
  • edited February 22
    50% luck + 50% hard work and perseverance.

Presentation matters, structure and flow of the answer matters, but only if there is relevant content underneath it (which most serious aspirants have).

Baaki gyaan marks aane ke baad.
    Prelims: 4. Mains: 2*. Interview: 1. Rank: NA.
    Literature of English Language.
    "Only through time time is conquered."
  • edited February 22
    All hail the king ^^^ Have been silently following Dr.Kings's posts for quite some time now. Happy that he made it! @DrKingSchultz
  • Working candidates who have cleared zara gyan de dijie how to manage job and studies. Bahut meherbani hogi.
    2013-Failed Pre by 7 marks
    2014-Failed Pre by 1 marks
    2015-Failed Mains by 25 marks
    2016-Failed Pre
    2017-Final Battle
  • 50% luck + 50% hard work and perseverance.

Presentation matters, structure and flow of the answer matters, but only if there is relevant content underneath it (which most serious aspirants have).

Baaki gyaan marks aane ke baad.

Congratulations doc..All the best for interview and HBD in advance..
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog