"I really don't think there is anything that is better structured and more interactive in regard to Mains than the ForumIAS Mains Guidance Program." - Mitali Sethi (IAS-2016, AIR-56)
MGP Schedule C - Admissions Open Now!
Click here to read more
*Limited Seats. First Come, First Serve basis only.
Mains Guidance Program 2017 : The Mentor guided Test Series for Civil Services.
Join MGP/MGP+ by ForumIAS - the Mains Test Series with meaningful mentor support. With 16 GS Tests + 5 Essay Tests to cover syllabus worth 1250 marks. Read Testimonials & Strategy by Prajit Nair ( Rak 87 ) & Mittali Sethi ( Rank 56, MGP Student ) or ask Sushil ( Rank 96 ) , who upgraded to IAS with under 100 rank after improvement in GS Scores.
MGP+ commences from July 1 with 16 GS Tests + Additional Essay Tests and classes

Clearing Prelims 2017 - 2016,15 cleared candidates please suggest.

All the successful candidates in prelims 2016,2015 .. please suggest your success mantra in clearing prelims hurdle.
As ~ 3 months left for Prelims exam what must be strategy?
·

Comments

• Do NOT go for quantity.
    Read standard books and revise them as many times as possible.
    If you haven't read newspaper till now,do not try to complete them now. Just pick vision current material and if possible, g.k today monthly compilation(to cover the trivial current affairs part).
    REVISE REVISE REVISE
    ·
  • Failed 2015 prelim. Socred good in 2016.
    1) 1 section - 1 source (didn't read ncert)
    2) read minutely
    3) Environment - use of internet with Shankar
    4) current - no need of newspaper for prelim. Did 2 sources . 365, learning space
    5) past papers. Prepared some topics on basis of previous yrs trend like reprt vs organisation, international organizations and its members. Plus we get to know imp areas. Look for papers like capf, CDs as well. These give us some sort of trend as well.
    6) solved 25-30 mocks. Wrote things which I was not aware of in a book.
    7) recison of above things at least 3-4 times.

One can get at least 55 correct in one go out of 100. With some luck n elimination, one can score 125-130+.
    Prelims - 3*, Mains - 1, Interview - 0.

Optional philosophy, Chomu-philosopher + Chomu-engineer!
    ·
  • Sources were -
    1) modern - spect
    2) culture - singhania sir
    3) ancient medieval - left . had previous knowledge n knew that basic question I can solve. So was not prepared to spend energy for tough Q
    4) geog - rajtanil mam
    5) eco - mrunal sir, survey
    6) polity - laxmikant
    7) science - 6-10 ncert
    8) env - Shankar + net
    9) current - 365, learning space

·
  • One can make tabular notes of acts n features so that comparison is possible in modern history. Same goes for popular movements.

·
  • In place of Ncert I will suggest u 2 go for ICSE book...
    Geography 8 - 10
    History 8 - 10
    Phy & che 9 - 10
    Bio 8 - 10...
    They r much better than Ncert ..
    And Gud for Starter....
    ·
  • arma3349 said:

Do NOT go for quantity.
    Read standard books and revise them as many times as possible.
    If you haven't read newspaper till now,do not try to complete them now. Just pick vision current material and if possible, g.k today monthly compilation(to cover the trivial current affairs part).
    REVISE REVISE REVISE

Thanks a lot
    ·
  • Failed 2015 prelim. Socred good in 2016.
    1) 1 section - 1 source (didn't read ncert)
    2) read minutely
    3) Environment - use of internet with Shankar
    4) current - no need of newspaper for prelim. Did 2 sources . 365, learning space
    5) past papers. Prepared some topics on basis of previous yrs trend like reprt vs organisation, international organizations and its members. Plus we get to know imp areas. Look for papers like capf, CDs as well. These give us some sort of trend as well.
    6) solved 25-30 mocks. Wrote things which I was not aware of in a book.
    7) recison of above things at least 3-4 times.

One can get at least 55 correct in one go out of 100. With some luck n elimination, one can score 125-130+.

Sources were -
    1) modern - spect
    3) ancient medieval - left . had previous knowledge n knew that basic question I can solve. So was not prepared to spend energy for tough Q
    4) geog - rajtanil mam
    6) polity - laxmikant
    7) science - 6-10 ncert
    8) env - Shankar + net

One can make tabular notes of acts n features so that comparison is possible in modern history. Same goes for popular movements.

Wow. Thanks
    ·
  • In place of Ncert I will suggest u 2 go for ICSE book...
    Geography 8 - 10
    History 8 - 10
    Phy & che 9 - 10
    Bio 8 - 10...
    They r much better than Ncert ..
    And Gud for Starter....

Thanks for suggestion. Will try, at-least for Geo and His.
    ·
  • Test series is the key ,i solved around 100,
    1 .its a kind of self discovery u learn how ur brain functions where it faults and where it excels .
    2 u will know how much question u have to do to be comfortable enough to touch the cutoff.solving test series and improving scores on sucessive test series will give u confidence to play the gamble of attempting that number of question(i know i had a low accuracy level so my target was 90)
    3 watch roman saini cheat codes sometimes it all about logic and observation ,like last year question about energy efficency ratings,food standards law can be found in no book or newspaper keep ur eyes open read govt advertisement on metro ,newspaper food packets ,bills almost anywhere .kalidas wala question sunga dynasty malvikaagnimitra nahi pata to kya hua agar ye pata hai ki pushymitra was first ruler of sunga dynasty,aur wo movie wala infinity hai to mathematician hi hoga .(yes these guesses can bacfire but cleared pre by very narrow margin imagine 8 marks i got through this gamble)
    4 go fully prepared for test if u have joined a good test series .like sunday ko test hai to friday saturday exclusively pado uske liye .achii rank se confidence aega and plss dont be complacent .
    2 months of exclusive study is enough for pre ,answer writing ,optional should be in touch remember,pre is just a stepping stone .my advices are mix of lots of free advices on net i e toppers lectures ,unacademy,insights ,forum etc ,,which i selctively adopted and worked for me .thats other important point take advice from every body but make ur own plan take what suits u .
    ·
  • Panku said:

Test series is the key ,i solved around 100,
    1 .its a kind of self discovery u learn how ur brain functions where it faults and where it excels .
    2 u will know how much question u have to do to be comfortable enough to touch the cutoff.solving test series and improving scores on sucessive test series will give u confidence to play the gamble of attempting that number of question(i know i had a low accuracy level so my target was 90)
    3 watch roman saini cheat codes sometimes it all about logic and observation ,like last year question about energy efficency ratings,food standards law can be found in no book or newspaper keep ur eyes open read govt advertisement on metro ,newspaper food packets ,bills almost anywhere .kalidas wala question sunga dynasty malvikaagnimitra nahi pata to kya hua agar ye pata hai ki pushymitra was first ruler of sunga dynasty,aur wo movie wala infinity hai to mathematician hi hoga .(yes these guesses can bacfire but cleared pre by very narrow margin imagine 8 marks i got through this gamble)
    4 go fully prepared for test if u have joined a good test series .like sunday ko test hai to friday saturday exclusively pado uske liye .achii rank se confidence aega and plss dont be complacent .
    2 months of exclusive study is enough for pre ,answer writing ,optional should be in touch remember,pre is just a stepping stone .my advices are mix of lots of free advices on net i e toppers lectures ,unacademy,insights ,forum etc ,,which i selctively adopted and worked for me .thats other important point take advice from every body but make ur own plan take what suits u .

Thanks .
    ·
  • Just because last year they haven't asked much questions from Geography and Polity, and to some extent from History, don't take the stupid risk of totally relying on Current affairs and leaving out standard syllabus. DON'T

Current affairs will play a big role obviously but do read static part thoroughly as well. While many of my friends made silly mistakes in the very few questions from Geography and Polity, I did them 'all' correct and it got me the necessary difference of 10-12 marks that evening when I checked the key.
    My roommate got around 110 and I got something around 120-124.
    Appointment in Samarra
    ·
  • Just because last year they haven't asked much questions from Geography and Polity, and to some extent from History, don't take the stupid risk of totally relying on Current affairs and leaving out standard syllabus. DON'T

Current affairs will play a big role obviously but do read static part thoroughly as well. While many of my friends made silly mistakes in the very few questions from Geography and Polity, I did them 'all' correct and it got me the necessary difference of 10-12 marks that evening when I checked the key.
    My roommate got around 110 and I got something around 120-124.

Thanks.
    ·
  • I cleared last year, so I think I can tell one or two things, which will surely help-
    1) solve old question papers. If you have not bought any book, I will suggest, go for Arihant's solved papers. It is good, as it gives much more additional info about given topic
    2)don't go in exam hall with preconceived mindset. Exam is unpredictable. So be Buddha. Be calm, composed and efficient in exam hall. Whichever type of paper comes, your goal should be to solve more and more questions correctly.

3) Booklist is same. Additionally, I will suggest Garima Singh Mams (AIR 55) videos on environment.
    ·
  • I cleared last year, so I think I can tell one or two things, which will surely help-
    1) solve old question papers. If you have not bought any book, I will suggest, go for Arihant's solved papers. It is good, as it gives much more additional info about given topic
    2)don't go in exam hall with preconceived mindset. Exam is unpredictable. So be Buddha. Be calm, composed and efficient in exam hall. Whichever type of paper comes, your goal should be to solve more and more questions correctly.

3) Booklist is same. Additionally, I will suggest Garima Singh Mams (AIR 55) videos on environment.

Yep, solve previous years question papers.. Last year was an excpetion but the questions repeat generally. especially in history and geography... Exact question wont be repeated but from around the same area... When you go through solutions (arihants), you will get a bit knowledge about that question..
    Appointment in Samarra
    ·
  • What is most important test practice or Revisions ? Because most of the time while revising I compromise on test practice. I'm finding it difficult to balance both. Please help.
    ·
  • ^same doubt. Pls help!
    ·
  • A friendly advice: what ever you do , dont take any part lightly. For example,in culture if you leave folk songs and dances thinking you are well equipped in classical songs and dances then you are living dangerously.
    Prelims is such a game where you don't know from where you can get stung. So better be armoured from all sides :) ATB
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

What is most important test practice or Revisions ? Because most of the time while revising I compromise on test practice. I'm finding it difficult to balance both. Please help.

Revision, revision and more revision. Don't take ANY mock test 7 days prior to exam date.
    "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
    ·
  • Sources were -
    1) modern - spect
    4) geog - rajtanil mam
    6) polity - laxmikant
    7) science - 6-10 ncert
    8) env - Shankar + net

Can you please give link of Learning Space
    ·
  • edited February 19
    search learning space on youtube
    @DB

·
  • edited February 19
    krish_cal said:

gt2015 said:

What is most important test practice or Revisions ? Because most of the time while revising I compromise on test practice. I'm finding it difficult to balance both. Please help.

Revision, revision and more revision. Don't take ANY mock test 7 days prior to exam date.
    ... >:) >:) >:)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ·

Thanks
    ·
  • krish_cal said:

A friendly advice: what ever you do , dont take any part lightly. For example,in culture if you leave folk songs and dances thinking you are well equipped in classical songs and dances then you are living dangerously.
    Prelims is such a game where you don't know from where you can get stung. So better be armoured from all sides :) ATB

krish_cal said:

gt2015 said:

Thanks
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google