ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

WHO IS CM OF UTTAR PRADESH NOW........Need explanation of this constitutional crisis....

edited December 2016 in Polity & Governance
What is governor's role in this situation.....can president rule be imposed.......or Governor can appoint CM according to his(Center) discretion....Any floor test required??
·

Comments

• Nope...expulsion from party doesn't mean that you cease to be CM. floor test is required for proving majority which governor will not allow because elections are due.
    ·
  • sss123 said:

Nope...expulsion from party doesn't mean that you cease to be CM. floor test is required for proving majority which governor will not allow because elections are due.

bro, I guess that is emminent.....MSY is ready to wield CM chair....

·
  • But then also floor test is required and since there will be code of conduct in force, there is no use of becoming cm for 6 months
    ·
  • Opposition will demand floor test at any cost
    ·
  • sss123 said:

But then also floor test is required and since there will be code of conduct in force, there is no use of becoming cm for 6 months

is MCC in force in UP???

·
  • It will be within 2-4 weeks
    ·
  • Dates will be announced and MCC will come into force
    ·
  • Bro, I think title is wrong because inner party conflict doesn't amount to constitutional crisis
    ·
  • sss123 said:

Bro, I think title is wrong because inner party conflict doesn't amount to constitutional crisis

but if there wont be enough MLAs to show majority....wont that lead to Gov interference?

·
  • Yes then there can be governor interference only for 4-5 months
    ·
  • Or opposition can be given chance to form government but they will deny it due to pending elections
    ·
  • Akhilesh + congress coming election come back of rahul Gandhi.. Kya nahi ho sakta !!!
    ·
  • When a member (MP/MLA) is expelled from his/her party, he becomes an unattached member. He is not automatically disqualified. In this case the member is the CM, so he cannot remain an unattached member for long. Also, if he forms his party or a splinter group he would need the support of at least 2/3rd members to escape disqualification under the 10th schedule. Here the role of Speaker becomes crucial.

But it may happen in this case that members choose Akhilesh Yadav while the party wants someone else as CM, which would create further confusion. The governor's role would come into play then. He would surely ask for the CM to prove his support.

Although if there is further chaos, the possibility of President's Rule too cannot be ruled out as the election notification is expected by next month.

P.S : This episode is a gold mine of prelims and interview questions.
    ·
  • Same scenario in Arunachal Pradesh too.
    @Jay_Gatsby Thanks for the explanation.
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google