Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

A Thank you message inviting suggestions and if possible, volunteers for a social sector initiative

I am not good at expressing gratitude over internet, and I won't be writing names because I am afraid I might miss someone, but you people rock, most of you, fantabulously so.
I have secured my plan B ( a career in research), and I won't be visiting forum much anymore. I need to wean off this place, how so much ever I used to like our lil chats over here.
I have not seen such amount of perseverance in another group of people, researchers I worked with had perseverance, but that too doesn't require people to start from zero in hell if experiment fails, it gives some data to rely upon instead. You people are one of the strongest lot.
I request one favor, probably the last one, please go through my next post to give your suggestions about what I am going to pursue next.

Revel in the chaos!!!

Comments

• While at CSE, I joined an already established child education venture; my role was to give random lessons to random group of students. Similarly random was the pattern of providing financial assistance (Books, stationary, lamps, clothes, etc)
    It has been more than two years now. I have achieved my plan B, and I can afford time and energy to expand this. With my increasing familiarity with kids, and with decreasing number of volunteers at the venture, I am now doing away with the randomness and working with good old model of “Each one teach one”, and that’s what I want to discuss here. Each one of us will choose a child to mentor and we focus on two age groups- 4 to 6 years and 13 to 16 years.

How the model works is we focus more on two age groups- a) 4 to 6 years- That’s the age for EWS admissions. Talk to their parents, get the necessary paperwork done, and make sure they will take the responsibility of regular attendance of kid in school. Proceed only if parents show a certain level of inclination. EWS in Delhi works by method of lottery, but there are certain schools, who will take kids in, if we go and explain our cause and all certificates are ready.
    The role of the mentor for the kid he or she chooses to support is to pay occasion visits and make sure child is not being subject to bullying, and to call his/her teacher at least once in a session. Report cards will be emailed to mentors.

For second age group, i.e., 13 to 16, mentor are needed because in spite of being hard workers, they are clueless. They haven’t got an idea of when and where to apply to colleges, which subjects to opt for, which scholarship they will be eligible for (SC/ST and Muslim minority etc). Working with this group is little easy in the sense that they are getting used to with technology, so we don’t have to be present physically every time we need to communicate.

Certain important things-
    i) Most importantly, it’s a difficult commitment. I am posting it here because I have nowhere else to post it too, but one can’t do it with CSE. I am mostly looking for people among us who are done with CSE.
    ii) This is not an NGO, I intentionally opted out of registering it as one, because I are not looking for collecting chanda, what I am looking for is aspiring mentors. I have been working through existing govt. program to help kids. Mentors are not supposed to be financially burdened much. This is also not charity, because both the mentor and mentee will be on the gaining side.
    iv) Please do not volunteer if you are going to be invisible after posting selfies with kids, and please don’t make impossible promises to kids and then disappear. There is no way to answer- “Didi, when will the mam come again who was going to give us maths coaching and make us all bank managers.

To those of us who own the know how, this venture needs a website. Please give suggestion (I am thinking of using weebly).
  • +1

You are doing a great job and it seems selflessly
    I dont think i would be able to contribute yet , but do leave the link to your webiste

Also dont use weebely , use wordpress , it will cost you less than 1-2k to get a decent quality website up and running (including hosting and domain name fees )

I will post links to tutorials to setup the website if you need , i cnt do it myself due to my scedule
  • edited January 6
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/guides/
    This might help a bit for starters
    U can always use a free host like 000webhost and i think google provides .com domain for almost free for indian companies
    So basically a professional decent site can be setup for free (or under 500 rupees)
    Dont go for weebly wix or other builders
  • edited January 6
    Nd do provide details @alka mam
    Where are you located , any contact uninfo for organisation , adress / number anything so i can contact when i have my schedule cleared ( you know a cse aspirant doesnt hs much time at hand)
  • alka said:

I am not good at expressing gratitude over internet, and I won't be writing names because I am afraid I might miss someone, but you people rock, most of you, fantabulously so.
    I have secured my plan B ( a career in research), and I won't be visiting forum much anymore. I need to wean off this place, how so much ever I used to like our lil chats over here.
    I have not seen such amount of perseverance in another group of people, researchers I worked with had perseverance, but that too doesn't require people to start from zero in hell if experiment fails, it gives some data to rely upon instead. You people are one of the strongest lot.
    I request one favor, probably the last one, please go through my next post to give your suggestions about what I am going to pursue next.

Revel in the chaos!!!

??
  • I am sorry for not responding to massages I received on this and to reply of Zohan. I had to relocate, I am not in Delhi anymore, but I will visit for a short duration in two weeks or so. Hopefully we can find a way to take it further. I will communicate to everyone in PM once I fix a date.
    Thanks
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog