[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

forum ias test series review 2017

hello brothers , i am contemplating of joining forum ias test series for two reasons
1. available offline ( insights)
2. in budget (vision)
so , what you people will suggest..please help. ( and please don't give a biased opinion)
·

Comments

• edited December 2016
    asking product review of a website on the same website :neutral:
    and still expecting that views to be unbiased :(
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
    ·
  • Arkham2 said:

i believe forum members are well aware of GS 4 :wink:

·
  • edited December 2016
    gamer said:

Arkham2 said:

i believe forum members are well aware of GS 4 :wink:

but are you sure whether the platform would follow the ethics and allow any criticism :expressionless:
    New year resolution 2017: keep away from forum
    ·
  • Don't join ... There question setting is very poor and even below SSC level .. If you are preparing for state PCS then also I want to suggest you to not join.

Even their open test no one attended and paper quality is very bad.

They are the worst. PM me if you want to which institute to join for mains test series. I will guide you.
    ·
  • Their mains test series MGP 2017 is good, though just started so cant say much .No idea about prelims.
    Everyday is the first day of the rest of your life
    ·
  • edited December 2016

Don't join ... There question setting is very poor and even below SSC level .. If you are preparing for state PCS then also I want to suggest you to not join.

They are the worst. PM me if you want to which institute to join for mains test series. I will guide you.

normally i do not give free advice on the forum, try to be a silent observer and gain something meaningfully, but i thought it would be nice if someone cleared the air.

the kind of comments posted above are exactly why i wasted one good attempt at civils. not knowing what to do.

the MGP was the best program ever. I do not have many friends in ORN and my only friend from civils had joined the MGP. She already had a rank and was looking for improving her rank.

We both wasted at least 6-7 days thinking and thinking and wasted good amount of time, because lot of such comments. finally we joined.

We were afraid, so we had both joined vision ias also, in case forum guys disappear, and also because my attempt is very important for me. while, i do have attempts, i have already wasted good number of years because i am writing after a gap of two years.

here are some of the things, where i think forum has a big advantage

- their feedback is very specific. if you have written mains before, u will immediately know what you are doing wrong. its not that its not in vision feedback, but the thing is that vision gives so much general feedback that u wont be able to make out which one to work on. at forumias the feedback was very specific.

in fact, last week before the exam, both me and my friend were sitting at the center discussing the entire test series paper and making last minute strategy with [name removed upon request] sir. he is amazingly motivating and will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.

and those of you who are questioning the question paper quality of forumias, the very first question of mains marathon was asked in gs paper 1 ..

http://forumias.com/portal/mains-marathon-current-affairs-questions-day-1/

and see mrunal question 17 mains 2016 paper

http://mrunal.org/2016/12/download-upsc-mains-2016-general-studies-paper-1.html

also, stupa question 1 was covered in test series - this was good as i wouldnt have prepared stupa dedicatedly. i think at least 8-9 questions that came in mains were very much there in mgp test series.

the problem last year was i am not very internet addicted user and no information was available about mgp on the website or on any discussion thread - maybe to maintain forum neutrality they removed it - but this doesnt help aspirants in anyway. people join useless test series where they dont even check copies 2 months before the exam - like vikas ranjan did this time. forumias is much much better.

and regarding the open test,i am not sure if you attempted it,but it was really good. they had taken pains to keep one seat for each of us with our name and roll number of the chairs. it was a big boost at least for some of us who have slow handwriting. and whole classroom was full and the discussion at the end was also very helpful.

p.s. i had joined their prelims test series also, and i found it good. while i am not an expert in comparison, do write the last simulator tests. they are the closest to upsc standards, at least of the prelims papers that i had written.

i also helped out the forum guys by making suggestions which they have put in the plan. one was to complete syllabus before feb-march.. and another was to keep shorter tests before prelims..and keep more tests for gs paper 1 as gs 2 and 3 are covered very well through the mains marathon itself.

at least as long as few thousand people dont join the mgp, it will be a good choice. i had also joined after long dilemma because no one reviewed it here and my friend was also not sure. one thing was there that she was not seeing any value addition in doing it from vision because marks were not improving and same feedback was given. we were more than happy with the feedback we got at forumias.

i am not sure about people who have no writing practise at all, but people who have even written some answers, will clearly see the difference between in what u write in first test and last test. they pay a lot of attention to each candidate.

i also realised that it is totally different to write answers with evaluation and without evaluation - there is big difference.

forumias, do yourself a favour by making some thread on mgp - because its almost impossible to find anything about it and noone really visits your portal. it will also help mgp students discuss doubts and have discussions.

@realhero11 i dont tag strangers on the forum, but i dont think that SSC conducts any exam like the mains. again, i am not an ssc aspirant, so i dont know.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    anjus said:

Don't join ... There question setting is very poor and even below SSC level .. If you are preparing for state PCS then also I want to suggest you to not join.

normally i do not give free advice on the forum, try to be a silent observer and gain something meaningfully, but i thought it would be nice if someone cleared the air.

the kind of comments posted above are exactly why i wasted one good attempt at civils. not knowing what to do.

the MGP was the best program ever. I do not have many friends in ORN and my only friend from civils had joined the MGP. She already had a rank and was looking for improving her rank.

We both wasted at least 6-7 days thinking and thinking and wasted good amount of time, because lot of such comments. finally we joined.

We were afraid, so we had both joined vision ias also, in case forum guys disappear, and also because my attempt is very important for me. while, i do have attempts, i have already wasted good number of years because i am writing after a gap of two years.

here are some of the things, where i think forum has a big advantage

- their feedback is very specific. if you have written mains before, u will immediately know what you are doing wrong. its not that its not in vision feedback, but the thing is that vision gives so much general feedback that u wont be able to make out which one to work on. at forumias the feedback was very specific.

in fact, last week before the exam, both me and my friend were sitting at the center discussing the entire test series paper and making last minute strategy with [name removed upon request] sir. he is amazingly motivating and will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.

and those of you who are questioning the question paper quality of forumias, the very first question of mains marathon was asked in gs paper 1 ..

http://forumias.com/portal/mains-marathon-current-affairs-questions-day-1/

and see mrunal question 17 mains 2016 paper

http://mrunal.org/2016/12/download-upsc-mains-2016-general-studies-paper-1.html

also, stupa question 1 was covered in test series - this was good as i wouldnt have prepared stupa dedicatedly. i think at least 8-9 questions that came in mains were very much there in mgp test series.

the problem last year was i am not very internet addicted user and no information was available about mgp on the website or on any discussion thread - maybe to maintain forum neutrality they removed it - but this doesnt help aspirants in anyway. people join useless test series where they dont even check copies 2 months before the exam - like vikas ranjan did this time. forumias is much much better.

and regarding the open test,i am not sure if you attempted it,but it was really good. they had taken pains to keep one seat for each of us with our name and roll number of the chairs. it was a big boost at least for some of us who have slow handwriting. and whole classroom was full and the discussion at the end was also very helpful.

p.s. i had joined their prelims test series also, and i found it good. while i am not an expert in comparison, do write the last simulator tests. they are the closest to upsc standards, at least of the prelims papers that i had written.

i also helped out the forum guys by making suggestions which they have put in the plan. one was to complete syllabus before feb-march.. and another was to keep shorter tests before prelims..and keep more tests for gs paper 1 as gs 2 and 3 are covered very well through the mains marathon itself.

at least as long as few thousand people dont join the mgp, it will be a good choice. i had also joined after long dilemma because no one reviewed it here and my friend was also not sure. one thing was there that she was not seeing any value addition in doing it from vision because marks were not improving and same feedback was given. we were more than happy with the feedback we got at forumias.

i am not sure about people who have no writing practise at all, but people who have even written some answers, will clearly see the difference between in what u write in first test and last test. they pay a lot of attention to each candidate.

i also realised that it is totally different to write answers with evaluation and without evaluation - there is big difference.

forumias, do yourself a favour by making some thread on mgp - because its almost impossible to find anything about it and noone really visits your portal. it will also help mgp students discuss doubts and have discussions.

@realhero11 i dont tag strangers on the forum, but i dont think that SSC conducts any exam like the mains. again, i am not an ssc aspirant, so i dont know.

+1 about mains test series/MGP.
    Engage your brain before you engage your weapon.
    well, in the end, it is all about Success.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIp5Tfkgwf4
    Avoid forum if u wanna clear cse.
    ·
  • bhai can you also review forum's prelims test series
    ·
  • gamer said:

bhai can you also review forum's prelims test series

i am not sure if you are asking me,as I am no "bhai" and i do not give views on things i dont know about. So i will share what i know.

their 8 simulator tests are the best that happen in the end. It is probably the most balanced mock paper you will write and the ranks are also encouraging , with good competition on the forum.

i have not seen there detailed plan for prelims 2017 as i dont that once you have done the basics for prelims , u need to write so many tests, but it may be beneficial for people who are taking first attempt or have not been able to clear the prelims before. I think they have expanded the plan to make it friendly for first timers so you can give it a try.

I gave a good review for mgp because dont expect any other coaching to put so much personal effort / attention on you that forumias did last year. At least i did not get any attention from places i had taken classes. They email you if you perform badly and will call you to make changes. Even if you do not email or call them.
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    Join kerlo bhai forumias ki test series prelims ke liye best lagi mjhe..baki mgp I dint join so cant comment..
    waise there are few questions in mains gs paper which most of the test series had in their tests like urban floods, stupa, gandhi vs bose, airmass,scs, even 1-2 caste study of gs4 was ditto there in vision tests :). But that does not mean inclination towards any specific coaching institute. Only thing is join one good(forumias or iasbaba or insights or viion or gsscore etc :) ) test series, do hardwork and improve.
    Mehnat itni khamoshi se karo ki qamyabi shor macha de !!!
    ·
  • aman131 said:

Join kerlo bhai forumias ki test series prelims ke liye best lagi mjhe..baki mgp I dint join so cant comment..
    waise there are few questions in mains gs paper which most of the test series had in their tests like urban floods, stupa, gandhi vs bose, airmass,scs, even 1-2 caste study of gs4 was ditto there in vision tests :). But that does not mean inclination towards any specific coaching institute. Only thing is join one good(forumias or iasbaba or insights or viion or gsscore etc :) ) test series, do hardwork and improve.

exactly! Questions on current affairs , if they come, are usually covered in every test series. Just that if you prepare it well, then task becomes easy tow rite there. Familiarity with topic helps.

Secondly, if you ask me, last year the forumias prelims test series was really really good. it was neither too above level like vision nor like insights - which is popular i dont know why. Maybe because of the popularity of the website. Solving 10,000 questions is of no use. Even if one does 8-10 test papers nicely, it really sets the exam tempo.

But on forumias, their own test series is bitched about and forumias doesnt even moderate it, so people dont join.

Last year also, people said things and i wasted lot of time before joining. This year also, there was no info about MGP and i came to know about it from my friend who never visits forumias. I asked her who told you about it ? She said her batchmates from IRS and IRTS had joined. I asked her if she read reiews on forum and she said, if you want to join, never read the reviews on forum or you wont be able to take it up.

And i wasted so much time, like 5-6 days i went to the test center, and didnt take admission in dilemma. Then joined vision for back up option. In the end i couldnt write vision tests and thought of completing forum tests.

I dont know if it paid off or not, but I did get lot of clarity. The open test was really good. There were lot of people writing the open test, like in UPSC exam with all the seat number and all that.

And for some reason they keep their classroom courses very secretive, so no one even knows about it. You will come to know only through some friends who have joined it, if you are lucky.
    ·
  • edited December 2016

this is pure nonsense here. This profile is made few hours back and not active after that. Profiles like these are from people who are commercially either competing with forum or who have some personal vendetta to settle with it. Last line of the comment testifies this.

Forum test series(FTS) is good and in some way best in 'IAS exam' market. I know with how much dedication forum team works and how questions are being set. It has good overlap with kind of trend upsc follows generally. It is balanced and evolves with time. Join it, you won't regret.
    Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.
    ·
  • aman131 said:

thank you
    ·
  • Burger said:

this is pure nonsense here. This profile is made few hours back and not active after that. Profiles like these are from people who are commercially either competing with forum or who have some personal vendetta to settle with it. Last line of the comment testifies this.

Forum test series(FTS) is good and in some way best in 'IAS exam' market. I know with how much dedication forum team works and how questions are being set. It has good overlap with kind of trend upsc follows generally. It is balanced and evolves with time. Join it, you won't regret.
    thank you bhai
    ·
  • anjus said:

gamer said:

bhai can you also review forum's prelims test series

i am not sure if you are asking me,as I am no "bhai" and i do not give views on things i dont know about. So i will share what i know.

their 8 simulator tests are the best that happen in the end. It is probably the most balanced mock paper you will write and the ranks are also encouraging , with good competition on the forum.

i have not seen there detailed plan for prelims 2017 as i dont that once you have done the basics for prelims , u need to write so many tests, but it may be beneficial for people who are taking first attempt or have not been able to clear the prelims before. I think they have expanded the plan to make it friendly for first timers so you can give it a try.

I gave a good review for mgp because dont expect any other coaching to put so much personal effort / attention on you that forumias did last year. At least i did not get any attention from places i had taken classes. They email you if you perform badly and will call you to make changes. Even if you do not email or call them.
    thank you very much..
    ·
  • It was fine. Atleast the personal attention and reviewing part. There were a few glitches too. They actually repeated a question in the same question paper. Which kind of makes me feel that sufficient attention isn't being paid. Overall my reasons for joining which were self improvement (speed), critical feedback and motivation were satisfied. Questions were good enough, IMHO.
    ·
  • @root @ForumIAS Sir you said that you will release MGP Questions on website, however no such questions were released till date.
    Won't you be releasing MGP Questions on weekly basis?
    Either be the best or die trying..
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    Apart from analysis and all which everyone does how much score in 125 marks paper in mains test series should one rate satisfactory performance?
    Everyday is the first day of the rest of your life
    ·
  • Being a silent spectator on this forum for long, I thought this thread required my attention to detail the first-hand response of the MGP ’16.

Background:

It was that time of the exam cycle post-Prelims I knew that I will be able to clear Prelims with a 120ish score by various answer keys. So the next right step was to join the right test series. This gained even more importance as this was going to be my first Mains.

After much thought and deliberation, I decided to follow the path of my own and chuck ‘the most popular test series’ in the market.

I’d read about the MGP on the forum itself and decided to attend the talk which had toppers like @proust and Narendra Shah as speakers. Later I met one of the volunteers around and discussed with him the dilemma of choosing between their test series and the which is regularly preferred by aspirants. Being someone who takes time to be convinced, the volunteer's reasoning struck a chord with me as it matched what I needed from the test series - personal guidance, periodically conducted tests, timely reviews, mentoring and lastly solutions to the test papers.

So I decided to join the test series without any inhibitions.

Through the course of MGP:

The program was well-executed with tests happened as per schedule. Further the one-to-one review wherein the evaluator runs through the test copy helped understand how the answers could be made more presentable, structured better and content could be enhanced.

In the interim, there were also talks and interactions with @Neyawn and other members which helped in the course of the preparation.

Lessons learnt:

Though 3 months seem a short time to enhance one's answer writing, the program with its module-segmented tests, followed by weekly full length tests and then full-length tests conducted simultaneously in two days just like UPSC does helped get the nick of things. Personally, I can vouch that and very much objectively (by comparing the answer booklets of my 1st test @ MGP with the last few tests) that I made such vast gain in writing skills that I could never have hoped for.

Further the personal touch while interacting with the evaluator/mentor who can assess your performance based on where you started helped me get to know whether I was inline or not.

How the program be made better?

One thing I think the team can improve upon is timely delivery of the model answers document. Also the program didn't provide 'rankings' per se for each of the tests. This again is something that I was never interested as long as I knew that I was able to make rapid strides in my writing skills. Apart from these, I think the program was good in all parameters that I was looking for, mentioned in the Background section above.

My final 2 cents:

Go for this program if you wish to get much required guidance through interactions and periodic evaluations of test copies. This I think suited me well, as this was my first mains and I needed these features in the test series.
    ·
  • Prelims papers were not that good when compared with vision and insights. I didn't join but solved a few. So do make an informed choice. Kuch log yaha forum bhakt hai.
    ·
  • kaguya said:

Prelims papers were not that good when compared with vision and insights. I didn't join but solved a few. So do make an informed choice. Kuch log yaha forum bhakt hai.

bas isi misguidance ke karan maine apna post likha tha. so dont call me "impatient" and "rude" as has been done b4.

pura galat bol rahe ho aap.
    Aapka parameter hi galat hai comparison ka kyunki aap forum ko insights or vision se compare kar rahe. Aap waise to iit ka tag laga kar rakha hai, par aapne koi logic ki baat boli nahi hai.

comparison upsc paper se hona chahiye, naa ki doosre institute se.

mera kaafi time waste hua tha aise hi ^ seniors ki advice ke karan. please dont be misguided at all by such comments.

maine teeno tests diye hain aur main pura review kar hi deti hoon.

insights mein itna 6-10 ncert karte hain jo kisi kaam ka nahi hai. usse 1 question aayge aur aapke 2 months kharab honge. there solutions are good, but i dont think that quality of questions was anywhere close. i dont even know why it is so popular.

vision is good, but they are way above level. so keep writing and learning concepts jinka upsc mein koi application nahi hai aur demotivate hote raho. woh question aur concepts practise karo jinka koi application nahi hai.

vajiram will ask from their classroom foundation, and gloat in glory if you are classroom student. their history tests questions have not been asked by upsc even in ten years nor are they relevant.

coming to forumias, their answers need a bit of improvement, but their questions are really good. and it is closest to the actual exam. last year exam they asked current affairs and was more factual, lekin baaki saal ka paper dekho to application and recall required hota hai.. jo forum ke paper mein achha tha kafi.

again, i am not talking about their simulator tests. it was brilliant and superb. toh those who are wasting time , go for it.
    ·
  • anjus said:

kaguya said:

Prelims papers were not that good when compared with vision and insights. I didn't join but solved a few. So do make an informed choice. Kuch log yaha forum bhakt hai.

bas isi misguidance ke karan maine apna post likha tha. so dont call me "impatient" and "rude" as has been done b4.

Aapka parameter hi galat hai comparison ka kyunki aap forum ko insights or vision se compare kar rahe. Aap waise to iit ka tag laga kar rakha hai, par aapne koi logic ki baat boli nahi hai.

mera kaafi time waste hua tha aise hi ^ seniors ki advice ke karan. please dont be misguided at all by such comments.

insights mein itna 6-10 ncert karte hain jo kisi kaam ka nahi hai. usse 1 question aayge aur aapke 2 months kharab honge. there solutions are good, but i dont think that quality of questions was anywhere close. i dont even know why it is so popular.

vision is good, but they are way above level. so keep writing and learning concepts jinka upsc mein koi application nahi hai aur demotivate hote raho. woh question aur concepts practise karo jinka koi application nahi hai.

vajiram will ask from their classroom foundation, and gloat in glory if you are classroom student. their history tests questions have not been asked by upsc even in ten years nor are they relevant.

coming to forumias, their answers need a bit of improvement, but their questions are really good. and it is closest to the actual exam. last year exam they asked current affairs and was more factual, lekin baaki saal ka paper dekho to application and recall required hota hai.. jo forum ke paper mein achha tha kafi.

again, i am not talking about their simulator tests. it was brilliant and superb. toh those who are wasting time , go for it.
    Isn't it obvious that insights and vision, upsc papers se compare karke hi choose kiya. Hum ssc thodi de rahe hai.

Ma'am sab ka apna opinion hai.. muje jo laga bata diya.. I owe my 145+ marks in prelims both times to insights and vision. They but real hardwork in make test and solns unlike some of the test series jo bilkul copy paste hai.

I agree insights ke paper kafi esay hote hai.. but Upsc kitne questions m hi trick karta hai..etna common sense toh sab m hi hota hai.. more importantly their range of questions and solns is matched. Exact questions/options aye hai.

·
  • kaguya said:

anjus said:

kaguya said:

Isn't it obvious that insights and vision, upsc papers se compare karke hi choose kiya. Hum ssc thodi de rahe hai.

Ma'am sab ka apna opinion hai.. muje jo laga bata diya.. I owe my 145+ marks in prelims both times to insights and vision. They but real hardwork in make test and solns unlike some of the test series jo bilkul copy paste hai.

I agree insights ke paper kafi esay hote hai.. but Upsc kitne questions m hi trick karta hai..etna common sense toh sab m hi hota hai.. more importantly their range of questions and solns is matched. Exact questions/options aye hai.

sorry if i was rude, but it was not only because of your current post only.

aap pehle bhi jo post karte ho, usse kaafi confusion hoti hai..

maine interview ka thread banaya.. so that ki people who for some reason dont have much idea , can start preparing.

aap dekho aapne kya likha hai

http://discuss.forumias.com/discussion/comment/1118926/#Comment_1118926

some guy said ki selected candidates ka hi interview script dekha chahiye.. u said agreed.

now take example of a new comer.

he will waste time looking for topper interview transcripts . he will not do what is already available - jaise ji pdf file of interview transcript of david board.

and half the toppers have poor marks in interview. and there are many people who have very good marks in interview.

toh ek baat batao aap

1) should i not try to see several interviews instead of topper interviews? kyunki major toppers ko toh marks aaye hi nahi hai 170+

2) interview transcript se ye idea lagta hai ki puchhte kya hain..and helps prep. aapke post se banda kaafi misguide ho jata hai.

aap ORN me baithe ho jana sab available hai, but for many people its not possible to spend 14-15000 rent for one year and stay there. and they get very confused by such advice.

main esa isliye bol rahi hoon kyunki in my first attempt i got lot of help from forum.. i knew nothing. and i got interview call only because of discussion happening here.

but ab, aap jo confusing baatein bolte ho use kisi ko fayada nahi hota hai. nuksaan hota hai.

·
  • @anjus

Again we have different views. Seeing transcript of those toppers whose marks are good is beneficial as its gives insights into answers frame karne kaise hote hai , interview kaise handle karte hai. These are readily available on mrunal.

Jiske bhi marks ache hai.. uski transcript dekho.. i didn't suggest to see mine for the same reason. Kisi bhi tom dick harry ki dekhne se koi fayda nahi aap ko bhi pata hai ye.

FYI, I no more live at orn. Ghar pe hu. And get your above stats right first.

I agree forum is awesome bu it doesn't mean test series bhi hai. Ye aspne konsa logic diya aap dekho ? I have right to speak and ma'am you have option not to listen.

Aap ke theard pe comment nahi karege.. kush ho jao.. ohh boy! I don't understand girls. :neutral:
    ·
  • edited December 2016
    anjus said:

kaguya said:

that is a very angry and very logical girl

@kayug bhai,

Your reply doesn't match her logic at all. :D
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog