Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

HIV bill - Note that Mah , Andhra , TN and Karnataka account for 55% of total HIV cases. How ? Why ?

How is it possible that these 4 states only account for 55% of total HIVcases.... we have haryana , punjab , rajasthan , Bihar from where most of the lorry drivers come who work inter-state lorries .... but still prevalence is high in those 4 southern states !
यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
·

Comments

• So after googling and discussing with few fellow aspirants , here's what I can come up with

1) High prevalence of MSM and use of children for MSM practice.
    2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism
    4) Mumbai , chennai , hydrebad , pune --> IT hub---> youth --> unsafe sex practices
    5) Mines and minerals ---> lots of interstate truck drivers and lorries.
    6) Under reporting from other northern states due to lack of infra , awareness etc.

Guys please add more valid reasons... not generalist but actual reasons.
    यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • No Modi Sarkar
    Dead and departed general caste player. RIP.
    ·
  • no 4 sounds ridiculous and ludicrous at the same time..
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·

Why ?
    यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • So after googling and discussing with few fellow aspirants , here's what I can come up with

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism
    4) Mumbai , chennai , hydrebad , pune --> IT hub---> youth --> unsafe sex practices
    6) Under reporting from other northern states due to lack of infra , awareness etc.

Msm?
    ·

Living in denial? :D
    Dead and departed general caste player. RIP.
    ·
  • captainx said:

So after googling and discussing with few fellow aspirants , here's what I can come up with

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

Msm?
    man having sex with man or male child (pedophile) ... apparently it is a term ....normally what we would call homosexual man !
    यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

Seriously 4th reason looks awful.
    What's the connection of youth with unsafe sex practice!
    In fact, youth working in IT hubs are educated enough to realise that.
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

You are wrong , being a college gradaute myself i have talked to many in IT sector they told me they dont feel pleasure while using condoms, they prefer not to use it unless the patner force them to do this. During college days plus living in Delhi i have seen that people of younger age prefer not to use condom despite knowing the side effects of unsafe sex practices.

Jaan Tere Naam

·
  • edited November 2016
    And an expereince man of mid age knows the meaning of pleasure better than the youth who hasnt had enough oppurtunity to feel the same pleasure.

So he prefer not to use it

Jaan Tere Naam

·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

You are wrong , being a college gradaute myself i have talked to many in IT sector they told me they dont feel pleasure while using condoms, they prefer not to use it unless the patner force them to do this. During college days plus living in Delhi i have seen that people of younger age prefer not to use condom despite knowing the side effects of unsafe sex practices.
    No offence but this analogy is so wrong at so many levels. If young people are more susceptible to aids then India is the "mothership" of AIDS as a majority of our population is under 35, and we all know that this is incorrect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_HIV/AIDS_adult_prevalence_rate

Look at the figures. AIDS is more prevalent in those areas where there is illiteracy, poverty and ofcourse lacklustre healthcare services.

Youth== unsafe sex practices reeks of generalisation.

Also, the original data (name of states) posted by the OP is misleading, and I quote..

[QUOTE] The five states with the highest HIV prevalence (Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka) are in the south or east of the country. Some states in the north and northeast of the country, report rising HIV prevalence. [/QUOTE]

http://www.avert.org/professionals/hiv-around-world/asia-pacific/india

·
  • edited November 2016
    P.S- Just engaging in unsafe sex practice(s) does not mean you'll get infected. There are other factors at play here like multiple partners, having sex with a carrier etc.

Also, I dont think the report has stated that maximum cases are from Bangalore, Hyderabad or Mumbai i.e. the big cities.

Andhra, Karnataka, Maharashtra are big states with numerous districts. Maybe we find such cases in those areas where people are not well educated and PHCs are not well equipped!
    ·
  • edited November 2016

These cities are hub of real estate activities like construction of apartments, roads and metro. Most of the construction labourers, painters, carpenters etc., are young, less-educated, migrant workers from backward regions of UP and Bihar. These men live together in ghettos, away from family and are on the move. Most of them own smartphones nonetheless and the kind of content they access could determine their sexual behaviour. I feel these migrant construction labourers could also be a vulnerable group.

Any idea why North-East figures high on HIV/AIDS? Is it the drugs from across the border?
    Deception is a state of mind and the mind of the State.
    ·
  • Dr_Doot said:

These cities are hub of real estate activities like construction of apartments, roads and metro. Most of the construction labourers, painters, carpenters etc., are young, less-educated, migrant workers from backward regions of UP and Bihar. These men live together in ghettos, away from family and are on the move. Most of them own smartphones nonetheless and the kind of content they access could determine their sexual behaviour. I feel these migrant construction labourers could also be a vulnerable group.

Any idea why North-East figures high on HIV/AIDS? Is it the drugs from across the border?
    Yes Manipur and Nagaland have high incidence of drug users. Mostly use infected syringes. In fact I had read that the govt, NGOs are providing needles and syringes for free to at least prevent HIVinfections.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2002/07/10/stories/2002071001300900.htm
    Beyond all this, the wish to be alone:
    Beneath it all, the desire for oblivion runs:
    ·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

Might look awful.... but trust me it is not..
    India has poor sex awareness and almost non existent sex education... most of IT engineers come from tier 2 tier 3 cities who typically join IT industry , as it is a mass recruiter and recruits across disciplines , rather than opting for higher studies as their tier 1 city counterparts do typically.
    As mark twain said , reality is indeed stranger than fiction !

यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • Dr_Doot said:

Not totally convinced... these cities have reached a saturation point... construction is now picking up in northen and central states comparatively !

Yes , north east has high hiv probably due to intravenous drug usage and gold triangle problem !

यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • P.S- Just engaging in unsafe sex practice(s) does not mean you'll get infected. There are other factors at play here like multiple partners, having sex with a carrier etc.

Also, I dont think the report has stated that maximum cases are from Bangalore, Hyderabad or Mumbai i.e. the big cities.

Andhra, Karnataka, Maharashtra are big states with numerous districts. Maybe we find such cases in those areas where people are not well educated and PHCs are not well equipped!

True , just trying to figure common denominators... nothing else.
    Btw , wouldnt u think multiple sex partners would be quite normal in these hubs ?

यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • Dr_Doot said:

Yes Manipur and Nagaland have high incidence of drug users. Mostly use infected syringes. In fact I had read that the govt, NGOs are providing needles and syringes for free to at least prevent HIVinfections.

What about punjab... Punjab has a big big drug use problem... has border with pak.... also near golden crescent... why not higher HIV in punjab ??
    यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

India has poor sex awareness and almost non existent sex education... most of IT engineers come from tier 2 tier 3 cities who typically join IT industry , as it is a mass recruiter and recruits across disciplines , rather than opting for higher studies as their tier 1 city counterparts do typically.

It seems like you've made mass recruiters as brothels :D :D
    Though I haven't worked in IT industry and I'm from Delhi, I still feel that you are wrong and that Mark Twain quote will not be apt here :p
    The day we decided that the worth of an individual was determined by their performance in an examination, that was the day Education failed us.

Long live Revolution, Down with ForumIAS. Ban me Mods
    ·
  • Dr_Doot said:

What about punjab... Punjab has a big big drug use problem... has border with pak.... also near golden crescent... why not higher HIV in punjab ??
    There are variety of drugs. Every drug need not spread aidspunjab maybe using non syringe drugs to a greater extent. Yet it is not a right deduction...under reporting is high in north india. Thats the main reason why south indian states have higher aids infections. Devadasis were prevalent several decades ago. Here and there one or two incidents maybe there...that cannot spread aids to such large number. Its just that the reporting is high in southern states. That does not mean aids infection is low in the northern states
    ·

2) Devdasi
    3) Tourism

It seems like you've made mass recruiters as brothels :D :D
    Though I haven't worked in IT industry and I'm from Delhi, I still feel that you are wrong and that Mark Twain quote will not be apt here :p
    Ha ha ha lol.... enough of crude jokes... lets just agree to disagree , :)

यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
  • Dr_Doot said:

There are variety of drugs. Every drug need not spread aidspunjab maybe using non syringe drugs to a greater extent. Yet it is not a right deduction...under reporting is high in north india. Thats the main reason why south indian states have higher aids infections. Devadasis were prevalent several decades ago. Here and there one or two incidents maybe there...that cannot spread aids to such large number. Its just that the reporting is high in southern states. That does not mean aids infection is low in the northern states
    Completely agree.... more than intravenous drugs issue , under reporting might be the swing factor !
    यतो धर्मस्ततो जयः
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
1. Open Session on DAF Filling : What you fill in your Detailed Application form, will decide the marks you get in the Interview, the service that you will get and the state you will live in , for the rest of your life. Last but not the least, it will also decide who you will marry. Don't make mistakes. Join us for an open session on filling up the DAF. We will be assisted by ForumIAS Members who have secured a service or rank in this initiative.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog