ForumIAS Simulator Tests ! Starts April 2 ( UPDATED LINKS )

ForumIAS Simulator Tests commence from April 2, 2017. Click here to download Test Plan. Click here to enroll for the online Test Series . Click here to enroll for the Classroom Test Series.

I am preparing for Civil Services after a gap of three years. Where should I begin?

Hello friends,

I am preparing for Civils after some gap. I am settled down now. What all books should i refer to subject wise. Any important classes/ test series / notes / sources which I can refer to.

I am not located in Delhi, but can relocate to Delhi for a short period. I also do not like to follow website based studies and prefer self study.

What are the few things I can begin with?

P.S. I left preparation before the new syllabus came. Didnt appear that year. so i am very new.
·

Comments

• Start with basic books and ncerts. Get vision /insight question papers and their test syllabus and start with 1st test. Allot time (7days/15days) a/t your time and capacity and finish the syllabus n take test. In the test syllabus ; sources are already mentioned.
    Also start reading newspaper and daily insight current affair.
    Start doing insight secure (its time taking initially bt gradually u will pick up)
    Take a note of mains syllabus and while going through newspaper if you came across any topic related to mains make a note of it with help of paper n internet.
    Decide your optional.
    •~dangal dangal~•
    The difference between good and great is some percentage of extra effort
    ·
  • inbox me for a step by step prep process
    ·
  • NCERT!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring
    ·
  • edited November 2016

Hello friends,

I am preparing for Civils after some gap. I am settled down now. What all books should i refer to subject wise. Any important classes/ test series / notes / sources which I can refer to.

I am not located in Delhi, but can relocate to Delhi for a short period. I also do not like to follow website based studies and prefer self study.

P.S. I left preparation before the new syllabus came. Didnt appear that year. so i am very new.

Do what normal, serious candidates in Delhi do. Join a Prelims Test Series ( Prelims is tougher than what it used to be 3-4 years ago ) and a Mains Test Series. Follow the plan and try to do well. Write all the tests, no matter how your preparation is.

Do not assume things and start from zero like a fresher. The I know Nothing Approach. And do not seek more advice than is needed is clear the exam.

Since you have ample time , do go through at least 4-5 important reports of second ARC - http://flavido.com/arc

Also, go through the Eco Survey Gist of this year . Vision has a good compilation. Doing these things will wipe out the lack of knowledge of various issues in the past years due to your prep gap.

I have invariably seen people with strong command over government reports do significantly better in Mains. Apart from that everything has been shared above.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

Do what normal, serious candidates in Delhi do. Join a Prelims Test Series ( Prelims is tougher than what it used to be 3-4 years ago ) and a Mains Test Series. Follow the plan and try to do well. Write all the tests, no matter how your preparation is.

Do not assume things and start from zero like a fresher. The I know Nothing Approach. And do not seek more advice than is needed is clear the exam.

Since you have ample time , do go through at least 4-5 important reports of second ARC - http://flavido.com/arc

Also, go through the Eco Survey Gist of this year . Vision has a good compilation. Doing these things will wipe out the lack of knowledge of various issues in the past years due to your prep gap.

I have invariably seen people with strong command over government reports do significantly better in Mains. Apart from that everything has been shared above.
    @Neyawn Sorry for this noob-like question, but could you elucidate a bit on the important ARC report(s)?

An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

@Neyawn Sorry for this noob-like question, but could you elucidate a bit on the important ARC report(s)?

You could begin with the most essential one - Ethics in Governance, followed by 1, 3, 8, 12 at least. You would develop a pretty good perspective.

P.S. Always stay a noob until you crack it. And even after. Look at John Snow on the Forum for a cue.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

You could begin with the most essential one - Ethics in Governance, followed by 1, 3, 8, 12 at least. You would develop a pretty good perspective.

P.S. Always stay a noob until you crack it. And even after. Look at John Snow on the Forum for a cue.
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

Thanks for that info neyawn.
    ·
  • thank you so much @doctor_zero @Neyawn . didnt check out forumias for sometime. it was very kind of you.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google