43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

I am preparing for Civil Services after a gap of three years. Where should I begin?

Hello friends,

I am preparing for Civils after some gap. I am settled down now. What all books should i refer to subject wise. Any important classes/ test series / notes / sources which I can refer to.

I am not located in Delhi, but can relocate to Delhi for a short period. I also do not like to follow website based studies and prefer self study.

What are the few things I can begin with?

P.S. I left preparation before the new syllabus came. Didnt appear that year. so i am very new.
·

Comments

• Start with basic books and ncerts. Get vision /insight question papers and their test syllabus and start with 1st test. Allot time (7days/15days) a/t your time and capacity and finish the syllabus n take test. In the test syllabus ; sources are already mentioned.
    Also start reading newspaper and daily insight current affair.
    Start doing insight secure (its time taking initially bt gradually u will pick up)
    Take a note of mains syllabus and while going through newspaper if you came across any topic related to mains make a note of it with help of paper n internet.
    Decide your optional.
    •~dangal dangal~•
    The difference between good and great is some percentage of extra effort
    ·
  • inbox me for a step by step prep process
    ·
  • NCERT!
    Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring
    ·
  • edited November 2016

Hello friends,

I am preparing for Civils after some gap. I am settled down now. What all books should i refer to subject wise. Any important classes/ test series / notes / sources which I can refer to.

I am not located in Delhi, but can relocate to Delhi for a short period. I also do not like to follow website based studies and prefer self study.

P.S. I left preparation before the new syllabus came. Didnt appear that year. so i am very new.

Do what normal, serious candidates in Delhi do. Join a Prelims Test Series ( Prelims is tougher than what it used to be 3-4 years ago ) and a Mains Test Series. Follow the plan and try to do well. Write all the tests, no matter how your preparation is.

Do not assume things and start from zero like a fresher. The I know Nothing Approach. And do not seek more advice than is needed is clear the exam.

Since you have ample time , do go through at least 4-5 important reports of second ARC - http://flavido.com/arc

Also, go through the Eco Survey Gist of this year . Vision has a good compilation. Doing these things will wipe out the lack of knowledge of various issues in the past years due to your prep gap.

I have invariably seen people with strong command over government reports do significantly better in Mains. Apart from that everything has been shared above.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

Do what normal, serious candidates in Delhi do. Join a Prelims Test Series ( Prelims is tougher than what it used to be 3-4 years ago ) and a Mains Test Series. Follow the plan and try to do well. Write all the tests, no matter how your preparation is.

Do not assume things and start from zero like a fresher. The I know Nothing Approach. And do not seek more advice than is needed is clear the exam.

Since you have ample time , do go through at least 4-5 important reports of second ARC - http://flavido.com/arc

Also, go through the Eco Survey Gist of this year . Vision has a good compilation. Doing these things will wipe out the lack of knowledge of various issues in the past years due to your prep gap.

I have invariably seen people with strong command over government reports do significantly better in Mains. Apart from that everything has been shared above.
    @Neyawn Sorry for this noob-like question, but could you elucidate a bit on the important ARC report(s)?

An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

@Neyawn Sorry for this noob-like question, but could you elucidate a bit on the important ARC report(s)?

You could begin with the most essential one - Ethics in Governance, followed by 1, 3, 8, 12 at least. You would develop a pretty good perspective.

P.S. Always stay a noob until you crack it. And even after. Look at John Snow on the Forum for a cue.
    Currently Answering Questions on ForumIAS | Do not call me Sir, I am no Knight |
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

You could begin with the most essential one - Ethics in Governance, followed by 1, 3, 8, 12 at least. You would develop a pretty good perspective.

P.S. Always stay a noob until you crack it. And even after. Look at John Snow on the Forum for a cue.
    An Ounce of Action Is Worth a Ton of Theory
    ·
  • Neyawn said:

Neyawn said:

Hello friends,

Thanks for that info neyawn.
    ·
  • thank you so much @doctor_zero @Neyawn . didnt check out forumias for sometime. it was very kind of you.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google