[ForumIAS COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM 2018:] BEGINS ON 25th SEPTEMBER
Dear Friends, The wait is finally over. The ForumIAS 2018 Comprehensive Guidance Program 2018 is now out and admissions Open. 5% Early Bird Offer for Non-MGP Students and 10% Early Bird Offer for MGP Students.

Case study a day ethics.

Hi all.

Here i will post a daily case study. We all will brainstorm and try to find the best alternatives.

Possible answer format is :
1. Ethical dilemmas involved , facts of the case etc
2. Possible options with merit and demerit and
3. Stand you will take and why?

Lets start.
·

Comments

• Day 1:
    As a DM of a home district of serving Chief Minister, you find out that a huge land scam has taken place in which close relatives of the Chief Minister are involved. The scam which you have unearthed has caused lots of financial loss to the state’s exchequer. You have been recently married to a daughter of an MLA who is known as staunch political enemy of the CM.

While you are investigating the matter for further proofs, before you make this issue public, the CM comes to know about this. He threatens you with dire consequences if you do not close the file and bury the matter silently. He threatens you with false criminal cases and CBI investigation in case you do not budge. Unfortunately, a case is pending against you regarding misuse of treasury funds, in which you haven’t done anything wrong. This case can be reopened and used against you. However, if you stop investigation, he has assured you that you will be given a plum post in the capital.

Identify which course of action are available to you. Examine each action’s merits and demerits. Finally, explain which course of action would you follow and why. (250 Words)
    ·
  • Nice initiative
    ·
  • avix said:

Nice initiative

Thanks bro . Any help on the case study will be appreciated
    ·
  • Good initiative...
    ·
  • Day 1:
    As a DM of a home district of serving Chief Minister, you find out that a huge land scam has taken place in which close relatives of the Chief Minister are involved. The scam which you have unearthed has caused lots of financial loss to the state’s exchequer. You have been recently married to a daughter of an MLA who is known as staunch political enemy of the CM.

While you are investigating the matter for further proofs, before you make this issue public, the CM comes to know about this. He threatens you with dire consequences if you do not close the file and bury the matter silently. He threatens you with false criminal cases and CBI investigation in case you do not budge. Unfortunately, a case is pending against you regarding misuse of treasury funds, in which you haven’t done anything wrong. This case can be reopened and used against you. However, if you stop investigation, he has assured you that you will be given a plum post in the capital.

Identify which course of action are available to you. Examine each action’s merits and demerits. Finally, explain which course of action would you follow and why. (250 Words)

Still I could not sort out what could be done...
    Someone plz answer...
    Very practical case study.
    ·
  • Options Available

1. Escalate the subject-matter to my next senior for review.
    2. Convince the CM to atleast let me issue fines on his close relatives
    3. Try to convince CM that I will not close the file but will put in pending mode.
    4. Try to convince the CM that I will be not be handling the matter now and would be forwarding it to land revenue/forest department.
    5. Go with my investigation
    6. Apply for deputation

just trying..
    ·
  • Others please contribute...

ethics case studies get better with great group discussions and inputs..

no test series can do anything for improvement .
    ·
  • Let Me try-

Crux issue and Ethical concerns involved-

# Self Interest Vs Public Interest dilemma

# Honest pursuance of Duty Vs Pragmatic World Constraints concern

#Disclosing and Be ready to face Consequences vs Not-disclosing and Enjoy the fruits of your "Service"

etc etc

Stakeholders involved -

Me as DM, CM and his relatives, Land scam stakeholders, General Public at large, and to a small extent my Father-In-Law as political opposite of CM etc

Options Available-

1) "YES SIR" to CM - y?-

#case against me

#cm is most powerful in state

#my father in law connection will reduce my credibility-which cm will exploit

#why me only ?

Then it's Merits and Demerits (with demerits as an upper hand arguments SPRINKLED BY ETHICS GOOD ENGLISH !!) For ex

" खुद को खो के अगर कुछ पाया तो ख़ाक पाया !!" ;) ("What is utility of Gaining anything or everything IF one losses oneself !!") :D

2) Investigate but Try to minimise casualties to CM relatives..if possible name omitting etc

Pros and cons (1/2 each only)

3) Disclose to Media and Sleep peacefully ..let media do the rest

Pros and cons

3) Disclose the matter to your Father In Law ..He will deal better..Very soon He may be a CM and you can be the next CHIEF SECY of state (best plum posting !!) ;)

Pros and Cons

4) FREE FRANK FAIR INVESTIGATION :D

Outpouring here each and everything You learn in Ethics paper..start Topic Wise if no clear thought coming ..use 1 2 Punch lines (NOT MORE) ..quote ARC/NOLAN/YUGANDHER committee etc..Public Service Value rhetoric et al

Like-

A civil servant must know that road of CS is quite curvy and bumpy. Working honestly requires a lot of Courage, Patience, Emotional Intelligence, perseverance etc

Finally conclusion reflecting just one thing

"मैं सर कटवा सकता हूँ पर लेकिन किन्तु परन्तु झुका नहीं सकता !!" :D

( yes you can drop few words of philosophical aspects in syllabus like Teleological/Deontogical/Gandhi g/Socrates et al ...also in last mention something relevant to your duties ..DON'T BE A SUPERMAN like I will Ensure all those relatives of CM including him also get their end to HANGMAN'S ROPE etc ..be calm and pragmatic.. like FACT BASED REPORTING.. TAKING VIEWS OF SENIORS (don't assume ALL ARE BULLDOG/DISHONEST except YOU !!) ..then FORWARDING THE FILE TO HIGHER AUTHORITIES. period. )

Any correction or addition @alll plzzz let me know !!!

Shubhratri :)

PS- Nice case study !!! :)
    Being IAS... 4 U Onlyyy... :-)
    ·
  • Let Me try-

#Disclosing and Be ready to face Consequences vs Not-disclosing and Enjoy the fruits of your "Service"

etc etc

Stakeholders involved -

Me as DM, CM and his relatives, Land scam stakeholders, General Public at large, and to a small extent my Father-In-Law as political opposite of CM etc

Options Available-

1) "YES SIR" to CM - y?-

#case against me

#why me only ?

Then it's Merits and Demerits (with demerits as an upper hand arguments SPRINKLED BY ETHICS GOOD ENGLISH !!) For ex

" खुद को खो के अगर कुछ पाया तो ख़ाक पाया !!" ;) ("What is utility of Gaining anything or everything IF one losses oneself !!") :D

2) Investigate but Try to minimise casualties to CM relatives..if possible name omitting etc

Pros and cons

3) Disclose the matter to your Father In Law ..He will deal better..Very soon He may be a CM and you can be the next CHIEF SECY of state (best plum posting !!) ;)

Pros and Cons

Outpouring here each and everything You learn in Ethics paper..start Topic Wise if no clear thought coming ..use 1 2 Punch lines (NOT MORE) ..quote ARC/NOLAN/YUGANDHER committee etc..Public Service Value rhetoric et al

Like-

A civil servant must know that road of CS is quite curvy and bumpy. Working honestly requires a lot of Courage, Patience, Emotional Intelligence, perseverance etc

( yes you can drop few words of philosophical aspects in syllabus like Teleological/Deontogical/Gandhi g/Socrates et al ...also in last mention something relevant to your duties ..DON'T BE A SUPERMAN like I will Ensure all those relatives of CM including him also get their end to HANGMAN'S ROPE etc ..be calm and pragmatic.. like FACT BASED REPORTING.. TAKING VIEWS OF SENIORS (don't assume ALL ARE BULLDOG/DISHONEST except YOU !!) ..then FORWARDING THE FILE TO HIGHER AUTHORITIES. period. )

I don't know whether you wrote it in ligh mood or it was a genuine effort to explain. Expect 3.4 lines , you have disappointed me , I was expecting something else from you. I doubt you wrote 3rd point : father in law will become future CM . tumhe case study solve krne ko bola yha tum apne sasur ko hi CM bnwa rhe ,wha re DM !
    correct me ,if i am wrong ! i would be happy to accept my mistakes !
    ·
  • Let Me try-

etc etc

Stakeholders involved -

Options Available-

1) "YES SIR" to CM - y?-

#case against me

#why me only ?

Pros and cons

Pros and Cons

Like-

I have a doubt....whether we should give outright unethical practice as options ...btw..this case no ethical dilemma ...answer was one and straight forward ..go with the investigation..without fear or favour..I think we need cases which genuine dilemma even to an ethical person.
    ·
  • @jal Bhai if you don't find dilemma here you won't find here because in each situation there would be an idealistic solution.. Even when there are two right options you can choose one depending on what value you favor most.. And seeing the questions of last year.. This example is at par
    My final solution
    I will complete my report and try and convince the cm the process is not politically motivated..meanwhile I will also have my senior in loop ..in case I m asked not to proceed I will demand it in writing.. Notwithstanding the fear of pending case I will proceed with suggested course of action because1) if I give in right now similar arm twisting is bound to happen in future- will be construed too flexible 2) I may be made a political scapegoat 3) I have full faith in judiciary and notion of innocent until proven guilty.. The cat wont disappear upon closing the eyes
    ·
    SSC CGL '15
    NABARD grade A (RDBS) -
    ·
  • anyone here student of lukmaan case studies...whats the plan for doing remaining case studies not covered in classroom or its just only me having little trouble.
    ·
  • I am very curious about what have been the proper solution to Caste cook case study last year.? Please drp inputs...One of the major recommendation I made was to call a Gram Sabha on the issue and have an open discussions while taking entire discourse in proper direction of modern thinking.
    ·
  • Lets give it a chance...
    1-investigate the scam, reach to the roots of the scam, find all culprits apart from cm relatives, lump sum loss to exchequer which is no doubt humongous and finally act hard accordingly irrespective of my pending case though i made a mention in my report that this action of mine may hammer me directly or indirectly on the pretext of thag case

2-keep my eyes close, follow buainess as usual approach and pluck the low hanging fruits

3-acts as whistleblower

4-take advice of my seniors

5-pursuade the cm not to indulge in such illegal practices and make him aware of long term consequence

6-have consultatation with my father in law and ask him what should be done n said him that advice him as a responsible mla keeping aside his political vendetta after this on the basis of my conscience act

7-somehow leak the scam to media and enjoy the music

Each move has his own merit n demerit
    I will go with first one to uphold rule of law and avoid my dereliction of duties as a selected respresentative
    One can apply theories of utilitarianism egoism and what not
    One can pound here gandhi quotes and made ur answer much more flowery and furnished

Review plz
    Feedback is deeply warrented
    ·
  • darklight said:

@jal Bhai if you don't find dilemma here you won't find here because in each situation there would be an idealistic solution.. Even when there are two right options you can choose one depending on what value you favor most.. And seeing the questions of last year.. This example is at par
    My final solution
    I will complete my report and try and convince the cm the process is not politically motivated..meanwhile I will also have my senior in loop ..in case I m asked not to proceed I will demand it in writing.. Notwithstanding the fear of pending case I will proceed with suggested course of action because1) if I give in right now similar arm twisting is bound to happen in future- will be construed too flexible 2) I may be made a political scapegoat 3) I have full faith in judiciary and notion of innocent until proven guilty.. The cat wont disappear upon closing the eyes

I sincerely doubt this approach (in bold)....Powers of CM is much strong too be threatened by this argument. ...and finally it all boils down to performing your duty with uprightedness....
    ·
  • Conflict of interest with ur father in law being political opponent of cm need to be mentioned in final solution
    ·

• Identify which course of action are available to you. Examine each action’s merits and demerits. Finally, explain which course of action would you follow and why. (250 Words)

In a "catch-22" situation, I have the following courses of actions.
    1. Give up and mend fences with the CM and close the investigations.
    Merit- no harassment,the govt's embarassment can be avoided. I will get a plum post,with othet rewards.
    Demerits- it will create a bad precedent, that the CM can dictate as per his whims and fancies,erode the coveted position enjoued by a civil servant of impartiality,integrity,transparency in society. Besides will cause further loss to the already strained state exchequer .
    2. Inform media about the investigations and expose the CM.
    Merits- media will start damning the CM and may create conditions in which he may resign.I will be saved from all consequences, may increase my reputation as an impartial,fair and upright officer.
    Demerits- i would violate SOPs ,will cause disreputation to the chair of CM,who is the political head of the state as 'primus inter pares'
    3. Will seek a transfer from current posting
    Merits- will get rid of all problems and live a peaceful life without being victimised. The matter will be closed and CM will not take any step against me.
    Demerits- it won't create a solution,rather simply a postponement of the problem,which might be detected by sn someone else,by that time it woukd have eroded all the public finances.
    4. Can write to the PM,with all the reports of investigations.
    Merits- it would benefit only if the PM is of opposition party,otherwise the problem may come to me with a bomerang effect.
    5. I will go ahead with the investigations,taking notice of every minutes,so that the guilty would not escaoe or go scot free.
    Merits- will uphold rule of law,that"guilty shouldnbe punished", will prevent the drain of wealth. Proper investigation may follow.
    demerits- there may be my character assassination,pushed to trouble,will be seen as working at the behest of my father-in-law, pending case might be reopened and create further troubles.
    I will follow the last step as it shall give a long term,permanent,irreversible solution,shall benefit the beneficiaries who are the strength of democracy,shall take as a point of reference by others while dealing with similar situations.
    with proper investigations my fairness will be proved and won't have to compromise with basic ethos of a civil servant.

·
  • jal said:

darklight said:

@jal Bhai if you don't find dilemma here you won't find here because in each situation there would be an idealistic solution.. Even when there are two right options you can choose one depending on what value you favor most.. And seeing the questions of last year.. This example is at par
    My final solution

I sincerely doubt this approach (in bold)....Powers of CM is much strong too be threatened by this argument. ...and finally it all boils down to performing your duty with uprightedness....
    I m not asking cm for written orders.. He is not bound to give it anyway.. The thing is I can't take all decisions on my own.. The "writing" has to come from my immediate senior in bureaucracy.. If he says I shouldn't proceed I will demand it in writing.. This is the outcome of post emergency era when there were too many blame games.. It's not my innovation.. Don't feel anything wrong about it
    ·
  • darklight said:

jal said:

darklight said:

My final solution

I m not asking cm for written orders.. He is not bound to give it anyway.. The thing is I can't take all decisions on my own.. The "writing" has to come from my immediate senior in bureaucracy.. If he says I shouldn't proceed I will demand it in writing.. This is the outcome of post emergency era when there were too many blame games.. It's not my innovation.. Don't feel anything wrong about it
    Oo
    ·
  • Hi all.

Here i will post a daily case study. We all will brainstorm and try to find the best alternatives.

Possible answer format is :
    1. Ethical dilemmas involved , facts of the case etc
    2. Possible options with merit and demerit and
    3. Stand you will take and why?

Lets start.

@"Akshay kumar" plz update 2nd case study
    ·
  • Six people have been killed and at least nine seriously injured after police opened fire on farmers protesting against land acquisition in Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand. The farmers were protesting against land acquisition by the Centre-owned National Thermal Power Corporation for a coal mining project in Brakagaon. The police took Congress legislator Nirmala Devi from Barkagaon in Hazaribagh into custody, which further escalated the protest.

The Pakri Barwadih coal block belongs to the NTPC and has coal reserves of around 1.6 billion tonnes. NTPC had sub-contracted coal mining to two private firms—Thriveni Earthmovers and Sainik Coal—in 2015.

The protests have been on for the past 10 years. This is the third time the police have opened fire at the protesting farmers in the area. On August 14, 2015, six people were injured in the firing. On July 23, 2013, one farmer was killed and three were injured.

In the past two years, the farmers have resorted to digging coal by hand, selling it to traders and paying royalty to the gram sabha in protest. Mining by the NTPC is likely to ruin land in 36 villages and make it unsuitable for agriculture.

According to media reports, the police had arrived at 4 am and tried to disperse the protestors. Women, who tried to stop the police, were baton-charged. The police says they had to resort to firing at the crowd after the protestors attacked police officers. Media reports suggest that six officers also sustained injuries during the event.

1. What is the ethical delimma ?
    2. As an administrator what are the options with you,also its merits and demerits ?
    I may not agree with what you say,but I will die for your Right to say it.
    ·
  • Ethical dilemmas in above situation is 1) Should Farmer's land be acquired to facilitate larger developmental projects? If yes, then how and by securing the interests of the farmers? 2) Whether to resort to force on farmers who are protesting against land acquisition,which may violent at times?
    As an administrator, It is necessary to look at the cause of the protest. Following options might be followed.
    1) Look whether proper procedures for acquisition had been followed or not? If not then report to relevant authority to re conduct the process so that relevant interests will get a say in entire project. Farmers protesting signifies that either Procedures to address their concerns were not followed or their concerns go beyond legally provided security. In former case , I think this option will bring out concerns. Demerits of this option involves further delay in decision making about the project. Further, it is possible that project may get abolished in all. But , these are the essential outcomes of proper decision making.
    2) If their concerns go beyond legally provided security, then I think we need mediation with Farmers, Government and Company on the table. This option has potential to amicably solve the dispute without resorting to legal mechanism. The potential demerit of this option is that Deadlock may not get resolved.
    3) If farmers still resort to protest against project inspite of all method of reconciliation, I would request political intervention, to convince them that their interest has been addressed. So, I would be prudent that they leave. The merit of this option is that it will give the villagers a chance to think and discuss that going against legally mandated decision is not what is wisdom.
    4) Even if adamant attitude remains, Ultimatum will be given and possible actions to taken will be foretold. After , with minimum required force they will be evicted.

Review maro yaar.
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog