Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes for 2018 : Attend three days of Classes at FourmIAS Offline Center in New Delhi.
Learn how to make own notes from newspaper and alayze issues for CSE.

Click here to : (1) Register, (2) Download Broucher (3) Click here to enroll ONLINE | OFFLINE Click
Course commences on 28th October at 5PM

CSE 2017 History optional aspirants gather here

Ne0Ne0
edited September 2016 in History & Culture
Those who are appearing in CSE 2017 with history optional gather here so that we can share our strategy for optional and help each other.

Comments

• I am going topicwise i.e each topic in the syllabus will cover from one of the following sources that I feel is better.
    Ancient - Upinder singh + RS Sharma (old)
    Medieval - Satish Chandra - 2 volumes + NCERT (old)
    Modern - Shekhar Bandopadhyaya + NCERT (old)
    World - Norman Lowe and coaching notes
    Miscellaneous and left out topics from IGNOU.

I have started from today and will continue simultaneously with GS preparation.

Others are requested to post their strategy.
    We can also form a group for the same.
  • My booklist

Ancient-- Upinder Singh + IGNOU
    Medeival -- Satish Chandra From Sultanat to the Mughals Vol 1 +2 + IGNOU
    Modern --India's Struggle + From Plassey to partition + IGNOU
    World -- Norman Lowe + L Mukherjee + Balyan class notes

Apart from these Balyan classnotes to bridge gaps and to get an idea about structuring answers
  • My book list
    Ancient india..... Upindra singh, ignou(BA), Ncert
    medieval india .... satish chandra(vol 1,2), ignou(BA), ncert
    Modern india..... Bipan chndra, bipin chandra, grower and mehta,Plassey to partition, ncert
    world history ......ncert, L. mukherjee, norman lowe
    Balyan classnotes
  • @black_wolf how are you planning to handle maps? These days maps are History optionals most dreaded part :#
  • Salma Farooqui v Satish chandra v Irfan Habib v JL Mehta vol 3

Can anyone please review these books ?
    One step,One Punch,One Round At a Time.
    How you do anything is how you do everything.

PSIR Optional. Aspiring Diplomat.
  • SPSahab said:

@black_wolf how are you planning to handle maps? These days maps are History optionals most dreaded part :#

@SPSahab I still don't have any idea how to deal with the map.
  • Hey guys.. can anyone having sekhar bandopadhyay send me pics of these pages as these pages are missing in the book..
    Page no. 340,345,347,350,362,363,366,368,369,373,377,379,382,384,390,393,394,409,412,413,417,419,420,421,424,439,443,450,451,454,457,458,459,463,467,468,469
  • My booklist..
    Ancient India - r s sharma+ignou BA+romila thapar+selected chapters from A L Basham
    Medieval India - Ignou BA+satish chandra both parts
    Modern India - Bipin chandra+sekhar bandopadhyay
    World history - M l mukherjee+internet
  • Inbox me if you need history optional material
  • hey bro.. can u send me pics of above mentioned pages of Sekhar bandopadhyay..
  • Complete history optional material with Baliyan class notes and hemant Jha latest printed notes available . All.material is latest 2016. I am changing my optional hence need to sell them. Inbox me if interested
  • I have written 3 mains with history optional. While my book list too is more or less the same as quoted above by various members, i really really dread the map question.

K Siddharth's is a good book but i have not been able to gain much from it. A full question on map work is truly "make or mar" one.

I think we need to have more discussion on this particular aspect.

• Gibbu said:

I have written 3 mains with history optional. While my book list too is more or less the same as quoted above by various members, i really really dread the map question.

K Siddharth's is a good book but i have not been able to gain much from it. A full question on map work is truly "make or mar" one.

I think we need to have more discussion on this particular aspect.

How have you prepared world history part ?

• hii friends,,we should start daily posting 5 ques on maps pointing
    and a question on any part-such as comments of any great leader as question
  • anybody interested in buying compete history optional material. All material wwas purchased in August 2016. inbox me for details
  • How was the result guys ?

Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog