43 out of 86 MGP 2016 Students Appeared for their first Interview in CSE 2016. ForumIAS MGP 2017 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW OPEN

ForumIAS MGP 2017 New Batch Admissions Plan Details and Admission Links are now ACTIVE, along with our performance of MGP 2016 in terms of conversion into interview calls for Mains Appearing Candidates.Click here to join NOW!

Tools I developed to make my preperation easy

I'm sharing with all of you, how I'm using some tools which I developed to make my preparation easier.
My inspiration for developing this system is Iron Man movie :wink: . I liked the idea when that hero speaks to the system like, hey remind me or hey save it or search it etc. I thought it is not impossible and this can be a boon for us when we are seriously reading a book and we want to make a small note may be in a separate notebook or so.

With this tool, we can just put earphones and simultaneously make out our point in the PC and also read our book without distracting.

Voice Interacto. Control your computer by speaking to it and make it do things like

1. dictating the notes/mail etc
  2. you can say

• Open chrome / evernote / etc
    • Wiki search 'Biomagnification'
    • investopedia search 'Preferential shares'
    • meaning of 'pastoral'
    • timeline save Battle of Buxar in year 1764 with tags history,british [ see below section to get clarity on this command ]
    • mnemonic bihar population 99 million [ again see below ]
    • can add practically any other command if it is logical and possible
I have integrated this tool with set of other tools. In fact all of them are linked to a centralized portal,like mauryan administration :wink:, which is managed by 'tags'.

1. timeline view of imp events like world war which is more imp, so it appears bigger than Tenzing Sherpa climbing Mt. Everest image
  2. save definitions/committes/doubts/questions/image/video/mindmaps and give it reevant tags . I named it smart saver image
  3. Another tool which is like a repository of related mindmaps. ( useful when we are overloaded with lots of mindmaps)
  4. Another tool which helps in finding a mnemonic. Ex : I want to remember that bihar population is 99 million. ( generated < 2 sec) image [ see https://litemind.com/major-system/ if u did not understand why 99 = popeye]
  5. Underline imp points while reading Hindu article and save the article again using the same tags system. Here when u want to revise the article, u can either see the whole article as shown here image or just retrieve the highlited keywords.
So having understood the tools, now let me explain about the heart of this system, the portal.

I can go to the portal and filter the whole repository using tags say 'polity' and 'definition'. It will now go and find the results from my mindmaps, my hindu articles, my list of events, my smart saver records and shows me one below the other. I can now further filter them to show only last 3 days or last 2 days.

Don't try to search in google because it cant reach out to my laptop to show u the results :wink:

I have made some other tools as well which are for chota mota things but these are the ones I feel worth sharing.
Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.02.44 PM.png
1273 x 444 - 307K
bihar people 99 million.png
875 x 259 - 96K
Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.43.04 PM.png
1270 x 595 - 106K
Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 12.45.08 PM.png
1256 x 582 - 131K
·

Comments

• Thanks man.. Hope you had shared it a bit earlier.

Hope it will help all the future aspirants. Good luck to all.
    ·
  • Yeah I thought of sharing but I joined this forum few days back.
    ·
  • even i had wasted so much time in making one...later i realised one note was way better than mine lol...I wish i had spend that time in studying...:(
    ·
  • @dapu did u try making the speech recognition app as well ? . Bdw optional ?
    ·
  • @gpsias :O how you know that? I tried but that project is not related to this app. I didn't found corpus for Hindi :\ and acoustic models were pretty lame too. I have stopped working on that as I was not getting time for exams. And it was actually not an app, but a program intended for IoT device.
    ·
  • edited August 2016
    @gpsias You seem to be from IT background. I am planning to go with EE or Philosophy..not decided yet ..Which optional you going for....are you too first timer?
    ·
  • @gpsias How can we get this tool
    ·
  • dapu said:

@gpsias You seem to be from IT background. I am planning to go with EE or Philosophy..not decided yet ..Which optional you going for....are you too first timer?

I'm a civil Engineer. This is just out of sheer passion.
    Will be releasing a video and a blog in a week explaining what these tools can do.
    dapu said:

@gpsias :O how you know that? I tried but that project is not related to this app. I didn't found corpus for Hindi :\ and acoustic models were pretty lame too. I have stopped working on that as I was not getting time for exams. And it was actually not an app, but a program intended for IoT device.

I just tried english. Not sure about hindi. Any speech to text to gain decent accuracy should be linked with internet. Else it will be constrained and it needs to be trained. but Nuance dragon is good except that It cant recognise new words like from our Ancient history and culture :expressionless: .

That is the main reason for developing this tool. It can recognize even such words if they are well known. Now need to give it any context or reference.

·
  • gpsias said:

dapu said:

Will be releasing a video and a blog in a week explaining what these tools can do.
    dapu said:

@gpsias :O how you know that? I tried but that project is not related to this app. I didn't found corpus for Hindi :\ and acoustic models were pretty lame too. I have stopped working on that as I was not getting time for exams. And it was actually not an app, but a program intended for IoT device.

I just tried english. Not sure about hindi. Any speech to text to gain decent accuracy should be linked with internet. Else it will be constrained and it needs to be trained. but Nuance dragon is good except that It cant recognise new words like from our Ancient history and culture :expressionless: .

That is the main reason for developing this tool. It can recognize even such words if they are well known. Now need to give it any context or reference.

Can this tool be used for speech to text like dictating notes in Microsoft word ?
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

gpsias said:

dapu said:

dapu said:

Can this tool be used for speech to text like dictating notes in Microsoft word ?

Yes dictate anything anywhere.
    supports all funky nouns in history culture biology as well.

It also has voice commands like " google search Tripitaka " and it will show u the results.
    Lot of other commands . .
    ·
  • gpsias said:

dapu said:

dapu said:

That is great. :) looking for update in future .

For English also, there are variety of accents in Indian English as compared to US English. The acoustic model of US-english if used here in India would lead to less accuracy, infact horrible. Naunce one is extremely costly, not sure if one can afford it even. The google's Speech API is free only for limited time and will cost 6 cents per query I guess afterwards. Best is to train own CMU Sphinx model and launch. I was hoping that you used the same, would surely love to see how well is recognition in your tool. I would love to learn more on this.
    ·
  • Itna kyun thak riya hai
    ·
  • dapu said:

gpsias said:

dapu said:

dapu said:

For English also, there are variety of accents in Indian English as compared to US English. The acoustic model of US-english if used here in India would lead to less accuracy, infact horrible. Naunce one is extremely costly, not sure if one can afford it even. The google's Speech API is free only for limited time and will cost 6 cents per query I guess afterwards. Best is to train own CMU Sphinx model and launch. I was hoping that you used the same, would surely love to see how well is recognition in your tool. I would love to learn more on this.

This is working with indian english and we have to pass that parameter before initializing.
    And google speech API which I have used, is leveraging the browser's capability to Speech to text and it is most unlikely to become paid in near future. But until then, yeah it is working well with our desi english. No need of hifi US english.

And CMU Sphinx needs to be trained with lot of data before putting it to use and it again has the same old problem of not being able to detect new words. This more or less is like a open source alternative of nuance engine, isn't it ? . . . Correct me if I'm wrong .
    ·
  • gpsias said:

dapu said:

gpsias said:

dapu said:

dapu said:

This is working with indian english and we have to pass that parameter before initializing.
    And google speech API which I have used, is leveraging the browser's capability to Speech to text and it is most unlikely to become paid in near future. But until then, yeah it is working well with our desi english. No need of hifi US english.

And CMU Sphinx needs to be trained with lot of data before putting it to use and it again has the same old problem of not being able to detect new words. This more or less is like a open source alternative of nuance engine, isn't it ? . . . Correct me if I'm wrong .
    It is actually paid only if you make your app commercial. For personal use they won't even bother you ;)...This is good way to do, since this is tool for helping all of us. And yea CMU Sphinx is more or less the same like Naunce, but still Naunce is way better than Sphinx toolkit as latter one is meant for research purposes. Whereas the Naunce is reputed and professional TTS & ASR provider.

Google ASR choice is good since everyone today preparing for UPSC will surely have internet. You app must be very fast and lightweight...Please do share asap, we all would love to have it.
    ·
  • @gpsias bro please provide the link for the software or tell us how to get/use this software.
    ·
  • I am new to Speech-to-Text
    Can you please guide me what should I do (as in which app should I download) to make notes?
    ·
  • messimik said:

I am new to Speech-to-Text
    Can you please guide me what should I do (as in which app should I download) to make notes?

If you have any microphone/ headphone with mic connect it to the pc then go to Google and type " Google speech API".
    ·
  • edited August 2016
    ·
  • gt2015 said:

messimik said:

If you have any microphone/ headphone with mic connect it to the pc then go to Google and type " Google speech API".
    Thanks for helping

But 'Speech API - Speech Recognition | Google Cloud Platform' requires Credit Card information which I don't feel safe to provide.

I tried using 'Web Speech API Demonstration'.
    It works well.

But it does not detect many words.

·
  • messimik said:

gt2015 said:

messimik said:

Thanks for helping

But 'Speech API - Speech Recognition | Google Cloud Platform' requires Credit Card information which I don't feel safe to provide.

I tried using 'Web Speech API Demonstration'.
    It works well.

But it does not detect many words.

Did you selected English language and country India ? If not then after selecting English language select country as India then it will be able to detect almost every word (except some ancient history , culture related words).
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google