Download part 1 of the Economic Survey 2016-17 Vol. 2 summary by ForumIAS : Click here to DOWNLOAD

Handwriting Speed & Legibility Improvement Classe at ForumIAS
Dear Friends, We are arranging for a handwriting speed and legibility improvement course on August 27, Sunday at 3PM, by Mohan Ray from Healthy Handwriting. | . If you facing the problem of slow handwriting, you can take this course, which has been brought on the request of several students who were facing similar problems.

Any body preparing CSE Mains with Chemistry Optional?

edited July 2013 in Miscellaneous
Dear All, I am planning to write CSE Mains 2013 with chemistry optional( If i get through prelims that is) . I am based out of delhi and can not take coaching. Any senior or current year student, please share the strategy/time taken/scoring aspects. Somebody referred abhijeetagrawal.blogspot.in for strategy but it gives a very long list of books. Please help.
·

Comments

• @sauraviiser
    Dear,
    First of all let me clear you one thing that chemistry requires hell of lot of concept building more importantly in paper 2, that deals with mammoth organic chemistry. So before rushing in, please do audit your credibility. Secondly, if you have done masters in chemistry then it would be best to adhere to it, otherwise, things are a bit dangerous, as you will end up completing only chemistry that too faintly.
    Ill recommend to structure yourself without assessing the aura in the environment. Self auditing with real check other than emotional flow, is required while picking up optional.
    I have done M.Sc in Chemistry from IIT Delhi and humbly wanna suggest you to have confidence with your credibility. For that just pick up last two years paper and solve it first hand without consulting any reference.
    This way you will come to know the real face value and future assistance to be made by you.
    ·
  • @sauraviiser

And dear, do not be reclusive of my suggestion, its the hard reality. I have experienced it so expressed. It is for one's betterment if he\she assess themselves rather than creeping into others line. If you are well acquainted with your will power and confidence then I would love to share my strategy and issues with you.
    ·
  • Dear All, I am planning to write CSE Mains 2013 with chemistry optional( If i get through prelims that is) . I am based out of delhi and can not take coaching. Any senior or current year student, please share the strategy/time taken/scoring aspects. Somebody referred abhijeetagrawal.blogspot.in for strategy but it gives a very long list of books. Please help.
    I have taken chemistry as my optional paper and according to my opinion
    paper-1
    physical chemistry can be covered from written notes of abhijeet agarwal and you can use some books for your reference.
    Inorganic Chemistry: written notes of abhijeet agarwal+james huheey inorganic chemistry+j.d lee inorganic chemistry
    use these book wisely.

for
    Paper-2: it require great effort and you can't prepare it by just reading one or two book.

http://deveshmahla.blogspot.in/
    this is the blog of devesh mahla who scored 414 in cse 2011. you can see his strategy also.
    @sauraviiser
    Dear,
    First of all let me clear you one thing that chemistry requires hell of lot of concept building more importantly in paper 2, that deals with mammoth organic chemistry. So before rushing in, please do audit your credibility. Secondly, if you have done masters in chemistry then it would be best to adhere to it, otherwise, things are a bit dangerous, as you will end up completing only chemistry that too faintly.
    Ill recommend to structure yourself without assessing the aura in the environment. Self auditing with real check other than emotional flow, is required while picking up optional.
    I have done M.Sc in Chemistry from IIT Delhi and humbly wanna suggest you to have confidence with your credibility. For that just pick up last two years paper and solve it first hand without consulting any reference.
    This way you will come to know the real face value and future assistance to be made by you.
    please add some valuable suggestion and your strategy

·
  • @sauraviiser

And dear, do not be reclusive of my suggestion, its the hard reality. I have experienced it so expressed. It is for one's betterment if he\she assess themselves rather than creeping into others line. If you are well acquainted with your will power and confidence then I would love to share my strategy and issues with you.
    did you appear last year with chemistry.which attempt?
    ·
  • @sauraviiser

Well, I have done my MS in chemistry and am currently a JRF and pursuing my Phd in chemistry..Thanx a lot for your suggestions, I thought that there is none in the community to share or help for the same. If you have appeared before..how was the experience? and how much score is considered safe?

·
  • @sauraviiser

hey bro
    don't get me wrong..
    Actually I would appear in 2014 and have a decent command over paper 2. So it would be my pleasure to assist you in this regard. Well, knowing that you are doing phd and have JRF, its immaterial to suggest you but even then it would be beneficial for both of us to share and plan things together if required.
    here is my number and if you feel free then call me, it would be of great use....
    ·
  • I am giving civil services main and IFoS mains with chemistry optional.
    @sauraviiser

hey bro
    don't get me wrong..
    Actually I would appear in 2014 and have a decent command over paper 2. So it would be my pleasure to assist you in this regard. Well, knowing that you are doing phd and have JRF, its immaterial to suggest you but even then it would be beneficial for both of us to share and plan things together if required.
    here is my number and if you feel free then call me, it would be of great use....
    @tauseef @ sauraviiser both of you have studied chemistry as your degree subject please
    add your valuable suggestion to maximize score in chemistry optional.
    I don't have any specific degree in chemistry ,I have done my B.E degree in (Hons.) chemical engineering.chemistry always belong to my area of interest ,i have also given GATE-2012 with chemistry without much preparation and secured AIR-16.
    ·
  • @tauseef: certainly i will call you :)] if i will get any problem in chemistry and best of luck for your prepration :)
    ·
  • @diem
    As you have secured a commendable rank in GATE it seems you have decent understanding of the subject. Even then lets share some blissful thought of scoring in chemistry.
    As far as my experience and fraternity tale goes I hold immense faith in those who opt for chemistry as optional, because unless and until one is self confident, its improbable to consider this subject. Secondly if you are appearing in 2014 then its a high time to escalate towards preparing and building concept. First of all see the syllabus and accordingly notify the lacunae of topics to be prepared. Then prepare those topic in first go...see the paper and solve it first hand....it will adjudicate you about your command and sections of gaps in concepts. I will soon update my strategy and respective books to be followed......
    ·
  • And as of scoring....if you excel well in your concept then no one could deter you from scoring more than any other optional student would fetch....that is the beauty of chemistry....out of 500 there is probability of close to 70% marks..which is a dream in other optionals...
    ·
  • who all are writing this year CSE or IFoS with chemistry as an optional.we can discuss previous years question papers regularly.
    ·
  • edited August 2013
    @diem

Are you appearing this year?which attempt?
    ·
  • @Tauseef @Sam_Brigenza
    I am appearing this year mains of civil services and IFoS.
    ·
  • @diem and others

can we discuss previous years questions ?
    ·
  • I am appearing this year in CSE mains with chemistry . We can start by discussing previous year questions of both IFS and CSE.
    ·
  • I am appearing this year in CSE mains with chemistry . We can start by discussing previous year questions of both IFS and CSE.
    Which paper are you doing now and how much have you completed? I am doing p-1.
    ·
  • I was not well, but I have started with paper 2.
    ·
  • @sauraviiser @Sam_Brigenza @tauseef
    question no. 8(a) paper-1 CS 2010, 10 marks
    give a short account of S-N compound.
    please tell me what is S-N compound and which book should i refer for it?

I have attached the question paper.
    pdf
    pdf
    CHEMISTRY_I 2010.pdf
    ·
  • @sauraviiser @Sam_Brigenza
    I have finished paper-2 and now doing paper-1. post questionsof paper-2 in which you have doubt.

@tauseef: I know you will appear next year but we need your valuable suggestion at each moment so do contribute.
    ·
  • @diem Which books are you following for paper 1? There are too many in Abhijeet's blog, and there is only 4 months left for mains..
    ·
  • @sauraviiser download handwritten notes of abhijeet agarwal
    https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=dee9c27c9bd84af5&id=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5!102#cid=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5&id=DEE9C27C9BD84AF5!134

according to my research for paper-1, his hand written notes are sufficient. you can supplement these notes with some text book,their name already mentioned in the blog.
    ·

• We can complete one paper regularly .Let's start with CSE 2012

http://www.upsc.gov.in/questionpaper/2012/CSM12/27-11-2012/CHEMISTARY_2.PDF

Question number-

1(ii)-product is in jerry march p-157 but what is the mechanism?
    2b(ii)/(iii)/(iv)
    7(c)

·
  • comrades plz move your discussions further. i want to join community becoz i am also going to written exom in 2014 with chemistry as a optional. we are less with chemistry but we will more in result.......
    ·
  • Hi,
    i am contemplating to take chemistry as optional. but i have only studied it while preparing for JEE and during first year in BTech. How difficult is the syllabus from the one asked in JEE? And if anyone has idea about the scores last year, like the effect of scaling and the difficulty level of paper this year and the previous year.
    ·
  • Plz somebody share the pdf copy of "3000 Solved Problems in Organic Chemistry (Schaum's Solved Problems Series)". can't find it online...
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by making the payment through the links below

1. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - July 1st : Batch C ( 24 Seats | 21 GS + Essay Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link |
2. Mains Guidance Program 2017 - 7th August : Batch D ( 50 Seats| 8 GS Tests ) | Test Plan | Payment Link
3. Current Affairs Classes for Mains 2017 (OFFLINE) - 16th August - ( 200 Issues for Mains 2017 ) | Class Plan | Enrollment Link
4. Current Affairs (Online) Classes for Mains 2017 - 20th August | Details | Enrollment Link
5. Prelims Test Series 2018 - Coming Soon 6. Mains Guidance Program for Mains 2018 - Coming soon

UPCOMING EVENTS by ForumIAS
No upcoming events

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog