How to Conquer GS in UPSC Mains, Explained By Anudeep Durishetty AIR 1 CSE 2017 Writing a good Essay in UPSC Mains, Explained by Anudeep Durishetty Answer Writing Focus Group for Mains 2018 – Details DOWNLOAD: UPSC Prelims 2018 GS Paper I UPDATE : Answer Writing Group ( Offline | New Delhi ) Registrations Are Now Open!
27 JULY | 200+ Issues for Mains 2018 ForumIAS is conducting classes for Current Affairs Mains. Cover upto 200+ Issues important for Mains , with specific focus on holistic coverage and content differentiation. Attend the first session ( Open to All ) at 11AM, on Friday July 27 at ForumIAS Offline Center, New Delhi.
CLICK HERE to read more and register for the First Open Class

Method of Reading

edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous
It is a widely known and accepted fact that UPSC aspirants need to read a lot. And so the need arises to evolve the methods of reading continously for hours at a stretch without being exhausted.
I have inculcated habit of long reading hours and I enjoy it. It is a joyful transition from ignorance to the light of truth and knowledge.
Almost all of us must be feeling the same.
But then I am ,at the same time, curious to know how you all manage to read for relatively longer period of time ?
Do you all read on desk or while walking ?
How you get yourself relaxed in between ?
Don't you develop pain in the body( especially in the neck portion just like me) and if yes, then how do you manage it ?

Warm regards.

Comments

• @sheen

Might I ask how much time it took for you to come to this current zone.

I am almost 2 months into prep now. so still in infant stage. I find myself constantly changing, like sitting in a desk,then stretching,then walking,repeat...then there is the problem of constant wavering...sometimes study related but many times non-sense
    Be a loner. That gives you time to wonder, to search for the truth. Have holy curiosity. Make your life worth living. - Albert Einstein
  • edited June 2013
    @srinath
    I can't exactly figure out the time taken by me to arrive at the current zone.
    I used to challenge myself NOT to allow myself to be distracted for a certain period of time. No matter what.
    Eventually, I started adding more minutes ,and thereafter hours, to that period of my reading. I also used to give myself targets to complete atleast 'X' number of pages within stipulated time.
    In this way, minutes translated into hours and it felt good. Really good. I used to,and still do, feel 'divine pleasure' in reading. It may sound strange.
    Currently, I don't have to use any of the above methods. It goes on naturally.
    As the famous saying goes:
    Love thy work to be loved by the world !
  • edited June 2013
    Hello guys and gals,
    This neck aching -owing to the continous reading - is driving me out of sorts. :-(
    It is aching like never before. I even tried doing regular neck exercise but in vain.
    Any idea how can I disassociate myself from it ?
    I suppose many people here might have been through this.
    Take care.
  • Hello guys and gals,
    This neck aching -owing to the continous reading - is driving me out of sorts. :-(
    It is aching like never before. I even tried doing regular neck exercise but in vain.
    Any idea how can I disassociate myself from it ?
    I suppose many people here might have been through this.
    Take care.
    Staying physically fit is necessary because the exam process is long and brutal, your muscles will atrophy if you do nothing physical for a year. That will lead to various ailments small and large.

I would recommend 30 mins of working out at home, four-five days a week. All neck issues / sleep issues / headaches will go away.
  • Hi Sheen,
    Its great you are studying for long hours at a stretch.
    I used to have the same neck problem, even though I hardly used to study :D.
    But recently I have started going for a run in the evening everyday, no matter what the situation is, and it has helped me tremendously.
    I feel energized all day. I don't sleep in my Sriram's class :P. and the pain has also gradually gone away. Or you can do these..
    http://video.about.com/exercise/Neck-Stretches.htm
  • @Stardust1901
    Thanks buddy for your suggestion. It is appreciated.
    You are from BITS , Pilani. Right?
  • @jaguar That was helpful. Really. :-) Thanks bro/sis.
  • @Stardust1901
    Thanks buddy for your suggestion. It is appreciated.
    You are from BITS , Pilani. Right?
    Yes I am. 2008 batch.
  • For me it is scary to know that all of you put in loooong hours into studying.I never study for long hours, no matter how hard i try..yes ,a month before the prelims i used to clock 15-18 hours but that was because i wanted to complete the syllabus. Generally it is 4 hours a day :( .... i wish i could be like u all ...
  • @andy133 it is not the hours that you put in, it is the quality of learning. Even if it is 4 hours, but you study with your head in the game with full concentration and read the material as a pleasurable learning experience, you are bound to be more productive than a person who clocks in 15 hours a day cribbing :)

Read some toppers interviews. You'll notice some of them could only give in 2 hours a day and their maximum at times was just 8.
    Law

"We've got to live, no matter how many skies have fallen."
  • edited June 2013
    @andy133 I wish i could study 15-18 like you!Even if it is for a month.That would get a lot of things done! :D But isn't 4 really low for a normal day.Like,what do you do all day? Just curious.I agree with @alexiaaicha that quality matters.But then shouldn't there be a reasonably higher average like say 7/8. It's quite hard to believe some of these toppers. However brilliant one is how much can one really accomplish in 2 hours! I guess it's possible to manage with fewer hours in certain cases,say if one has been reading extensively for a couple of years(at least) prior to the exam. Hard to believe otherwise.

I think quantity surely makes a huge difference but one must obviously ensure that it doesn't come at the expense of quality study. But without putting in at least 7 hours of quality work a day is it possible to complete such a humongous syllabus?I personally feel like i don't have an option but to put in around 8-10 hours a day consistently to ensure that i'm at least prepared to my satisfaction.
  • @andy133 I wish i could study 15-18 like you!Even if it is for a month.That would get a lot of things done! :D But isn't 4 really low for a normal day.Like,what do you do all day? Just curious.I agree with @alexiaaicha that quality matters.But then shouldn't there be a reasonably higher average like say 7/8. It's quite hard to believe some of these toppers. However brilliant one is how much can one really accomplish in 2 hours! I guess it's possible to manage with fewer hours in certain cases,say if one has been reading extensively for a couple of years(at least) prior to the exam. Hard to believe otherwise.

I think quantity surely makes a huge difference but one must obviously ensure that it doesn't come at the expense of quality study. But without putting in at least 7 hours of quality work a day is it possible to complete such a humongous syllabus?I personally feel like i don't have an option but to put in around 8-10 hours a day consistently to ensure that i'm at least prepared to my satisfaction.
    Yea , now after seeing everyone here..4-5 hrs seem really low on a normal day..what i do for the rest of the day..well for 1-2 hrs i think about what i read and try to revise it in my mind... I watch movies on my laptop :( .. I try to find snakes around the place i live (snake charming is my hobby)..thats all i do :(
  • edited June 2013
    Well, it's about perception, approach and interest of a person.
    Method/strategy of a candidate A may or may not work for a candidate B and vice-versa. This cannot be goaded to a conclusion that candidate A or B is doing some fatal mistake.
    A candidate with 4 hrs reading/ day may or may not clear UPSC. Same is the case with a candidate reading 15 hrs / day.
    It's not just 'reading hours' but there is myriad of other factors too that decides our fate. Generalization does not work in this game, brutal and sweet ,of UPSC.
    We must evolve our own method and stick to it and pave our way to success.
  • edited June 2013
    *is committing doing some fatal mistake
  • Man you people are scaring me :(

I agree woth @sheen, @alexiaaicha that the quality matters more than the quantity but quantity does matter. There were many exams in my grad after which i felt should have studied atleast an hour more :P

It is wrong to generalise but whatever study we do you need luck on your side on the day of exam. So, dont think about others(you dont know what they are going through), or no of hours. Just go ahead preparing best way you think best suits you.

All the best to everyone :)
  • edited June 2013
    @bharat141
    Sorry if I scared you. I had no intention to do that to you. LOL.
    I never commented, on this forum or anywhere else, stating quality and not the quantity matters. You completely went off the track in understanding the gist of my post above. If you read my post again, you will realize that I did not advocate quantity and/or quality while reading.
    You won't find my comments leaned towards quantity matters (or quality matters) etc etc.
    What I meant to say was that we must frame/formulate our own method that makes us comfortable.
    Why I read for long hours? Because I love to read. I can live without food and water (obviously for few days only :-P) but cannot live without reading. I feel extreme joy in reading. I get divine pleasure in reading, I mentioned this earlier too. I don't read for long hours just to complete the gigantic syllabus of UPSC. As simple as that. Does this mean I will crack UPSC faster ? No one can answer this.
    Mr.A reads only 6 hours/day. Does this mean he/she will crack UPSC not before 2020? No one can answer this too.
    To conclude, I would just say one thing.
    One should not feel superior to anyone if one is investing long hours in study. In the same way, one should not feel inferior to anyone if one is investing less hours to study.
  • @sheen
    watch videos in youtube about neck excercise by physiotherapist . its not time taking - only 10 minutes a day. Few years back I suffered from spondylitis, I consulted a physiotherapist. I learnt some exercises- which still I do. I am sure- it will help you.
  • @Ozzy_Osbourne
    Yes. I tried neck exercises, by watching it from youtube, yesterday but the outcome was difficult to digest.
    I have developed a severe pain after I did neck exercise. I feel muscle jam. My neck has become really heavy.
    Is it normal in the initial stage of the exercise? Or is it an idiosyncratic behavior of my neck? You might be knowing this as you were in the same boat before.
    Thank you ,bro.
  • @Sheen

I envy you :). I cannot put more than 2 hours at a stretch, after few 1 hr. I feel like I need to play games on my Tab :(. Could you please share some tips, so that I spend long hours of reading.

And about Quality and Quantity debate, it is very subjective and varies from person to person. Some can read quicker and gain 80% in less time. But I am on the other side, I take little longer to get the same thing, say about 2 hours more.

So for me I need to put more hours of study. And there is one strong reason for it, I am poor at Quants and I need to learn my mother Tongue Telugu for one paper :(...whenever I think about it, I am very depressed...I was very happy when UPSC dropped that paper..but now we have it again :(

Please share some of your skills Sheen and others...will be grateful to you.
  • @sheen
    yes, initially it will be painfull and difficult. but after repeated exercise you will get good result. dont do for long at a time. do 4/5 times a day @1-2 min/exercise. moreover there will be less chance of suffering from spondylitis in the future if you do/continue right neck exercise (for those who sit many hours a day before computer or sitting+reading for longer duration)
  • @chaitanya_gk
    Please read the 3rd post of this thread and you will get a comprehensive answer of your query. You can also follow below mentioned steps to enhance your span of studying.
    Try to develop interest in reading. Interest is the key. Try to feel joyous as you read. Try to dig out pleasure from reading.
    Good luck. :-)
  • @Ozzy_Osbourne
    Thanks for your valuable input.
    I will strictly employ those neck exercise techniques daily to keep from spondylitis.
    Severe neck pain is a wake up call for me, indeed.
    Take care.
  • @sheen

Thank you :). Will try out.
  • bro try sleeping without a pillow for some days
  • @parthi
    Thanks for your suggestion. :-)
    Will put it into practice from tonight itself.
    Take care

Regards,
    Sheen.
  • @parthi, @sheen
    i've been sleeping without pillow since 2009
    thats the best practice to keep away neck pain and spondy :)
  • edited June 2013
    Just an update :
    Guys and gals,
    With much delight I announce that my neck has shown mercy to me and it does not trouble me as before:
    What I did is: ( this may help to others with similar situation/problem) :
    1. I did, and still do , neck exercises 5 times a day for around 3-5 minutes everytime. Thanks to @Stardust1901 and @jaguar
    2. I sleep without a pillow. Thanks to @parthi
    3. I applied Pain Relief Gel on my neck area and got it massaged by myself. It felt good. It would have felt better if it was done by someone else.
    4. I did Hot water bottle shake on my neck area. 3 times a day.

Take care everyone.
    Regards,
    Sheen.
  • @sheen
    A word of caution, don't overdo the neck exercise. Might worsen your pain. Take short breaks (5-10 mins) every 30-45 minutes. :)

One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman.
  • edited June 2013
    @khajoor
    Your suggestion considered. :-)
    TY.
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://academy.forumias.com

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog