NEW REVISION CLASSES PRE'17 History+ Environment+Govt Schemes

Thank you for your tremendous response, to the revision classes for Prelims 2017being conducted in New Delhi. Based on your requests and suggestions, we have come up with new classes as per below schedule
(1)Art & Culture Revision ( REPEAT ) - May 27th & 28th, (2) Modern History ( REPEAT ) - May 30th (3) Govt Schemes + Allied Issues - May 31st (4) Environment & Ecology - Friday, June 2

Seats fill up in a few hours, and we don't plan any more repeat classes, so register early. Click Here to get more details and register early to avoid inconvenience. All revision classes will be held from 5PM to 8PM.

UPSC Interview Hobby: PC and Console Gaming

Did not find anybody who has mentioned gaming as a hobby. So started this thread in order to discuss possible questions and answers. Please contribute.
·

Comments

• I find RTS game particularly "Age of Empires" very fun. It teaches me effective resource management. :)
    चरैवेति चरैवेति - Johnnie Walker
    ·
  • I find RTS game particularly "Age of Empires" very fun. It teaches me effective resource management. :)

for how this hobby is going to help in administration i thought of the following
    1. It teaches 'patience and perseverance' because we always tend to replay some levels even if we fail a hundred times in order to finish the game or reach the next level
    2. It teaches one to think ahead and also develop our strategic planning i.e., as you have mentioned resource mgmt.
    ·
  • if they ask what games do you play? I usually play fifa, shooters and role playing games like assassins creed. But do you all think its ok to say i play Call of Duty or Battlefield etc. or should i restrict myself to strategy games and Fifa(other hobbies i've mentioned are 'playing and watching football' and Chess as my other hobbies).
    ·
  • dota.... it teaches how to abuse and how not to get diverted when others are abusing ;)
    Jaake mehertabaan se keh do ki apni kiraanein ginkar rakh le, mai apne sehra ke zarre zarre ko khud chamakna sikha raha hoon!!
    ·
  • Thanks man. But my doubt is, would it send bad signal if I say I am into shooters and role playing games?
    ·
  • Thanks man. But my doubt is, would it send bad signal if I say I am into shooters and role playing games?

In my opinion, it depends upon the interview panel. On one side, the panel may appreciate your frankness and give you some extra marks for that. It may also backfire, if the panel has got some pre-conceived notion and are not open-minded towards the concept of pc gaming. At the end however, a smart person can always turn things to his/her advantage
    Jaake mehertabaan se keh do ki apni kiraanein ginkar rakh le, mai apne sehra ke zarre zarre ko khud chamakna sikha raha hoon!!
    ·
  • edited January 2016
    Interviewers are always open minded and knows more than what we can ever imagine about every field ...they can relate gaming to practical aspects like
    1. Its effect on children.
    2. Mobile gaming business now a days.
    3. What is constructive use of gaming.
    4. Piracy in Gaming.
    ·
  • ive put 'playing DOTA' as a hobby
    ·
  • XLR8 said:

Interviewers are always open minded and knows more than what we can ever imagine about every field ...they can relate gaming to practical aspects like
    1. Its effect on children.
    2. Mobile gaming business now a days.
    3. What is constructive use of gaming.
    4. Piracy in Gaming.

Reasons for piracy in gaming
    1. High taxes make the games expensive and above that in India parents consider gaming as a waste of time and money
    2. Delayed launch of games in India compared to US and EU
    3. Slow internet connections are a hurdle in experiencing benefits given by game publishers online
    4. Lack of availability across all towns and cities

What can be done to reduce it?
    1. Reduce taxes
    2. increase availability of games, increase internet penetration and speed
    3. Take legal action against grey markets

I have another question. If they ask 'Have you ever purchased or downloaded a pirated game, movie or song?' What should be our response?

Everybody rips movies, games etc. from the internet should we say yes i did!
    ·
  • blitzkadu said:

ive put 'playing DOTA' as a hobby

If you have Ny gaming related questions in your mind, please share and contribute here.
    ·
  • +1
    i also wrote PC gaming (solving sudoku also).... i mentioned some achivements in counter-strike at intercollege level.
    can someone suggest what questions can be asked related to this??

P.S: i also like AoE, role playing games.
    Human choice is a complicated affair; cognitive biases:framing effects:Mental models:heuristics
    ·
  • @mneutron @blitzkadu @XLR8

Question: I see you play games. Don't you think pc and console gaming is a hobby of kids, shouldn't you take up something more age appropriate?
    ·
  • @speedmachine1991
    Answer - Sir, console games are one form of indoor games I am involved with. Apart from that I also play outdoor games like cricket, football etc. Sir, there are various console games which are for people over 18 years of age and in India many people are pursuing it as a profession and are now professional gamers. There is also a very good opportunity in developed countries if you are a professional gamer. But for me its a mainly pass time exercise and I also think it helps in making strategies and tackle difficult situation. In a way playing games help in developing logical ability and critical reasoning of individuals, this has been proved by researchs.
    ·
  • Que 2: Don't you think that these video games are increasing the tendency of violence among young kids??
    ·
  • Que 3: 'Have you ever purchased or downloaded a pirated game, movie or song?' What should be our response?
    Ans : For this one I will say yes I did. If they will ask why I did that despite it being illegal. I will say its affordable for me to download it for free rather than purchasing and there is no deterrence for the same due to weak enforcement of piracy laws. Also there is lesser clarity about legality of such acts.
    note - I think we need to discuss this topic and frame our answer for this

·
  • edited January 2016
    @XLR8

So far no one was able to show an evidence that consistently proves the correlation between playing violent games and aggressive or violent behaviour among kids who play these games. And nobody were able to also prove the opposite.

Many American shootings by young people like Columbine and Virginia tech are often cited as examples of games promoting violent behaviour in real life. But, American Psychological Association has revealed that actually violence and bad behaviour in the virtual world may actually contribute to better behaviour by gamers in the real world because they feel guilty of their violations in virtual world. This will make them more sensitive towards moral issues they have violated during gameplay.

The brain center that is responsible for weighing risks and rewards(prefrontal cortex) is not developed until the age of 20-25. Electronics Software Rating Board rates games which tells the suitability of a game for a particular age group. Parents should ensure that their kids only play age appropriate games and government should ensure that retailers strictly refrain from selling age inappropriate content to kids by making suitable laws and implement them strictly.
    ·
  • @speedmachine1991 Superlike ....Also some points can be added like
    1. Games help children develop their analytical ability.
    2. Regulated playing of age-appropriate games as you already highlighted.
    3. Games help children in relieving tension when outdoors games are getting extremely limited due to lesser space outside.
    ·
  • Regarding Que no 3 we need to first know appropriate laws regulating online piracy contents and about its enforcement in India.
    ·
  • XLR8 said:

Regarding Que no 3 we need to first know appropriate laws regulating online piracy contents and about its enforcement in India.

You are right we need to research the laws, implementing agencies etc. and arrive at an answer that is least damaging to us. Will get back with an update by tonight with basic framework.
    ·
  • @mneutron @blitzkadu @XLR8

Question: I see you play games. Don't you think pc and console gaming is a hobby of kids, shouldn't you take up something more age appropriate?

Its the social stigma of being interested in technology, computers, etc that does not consider gaming as a hobby. but, gaming is a lot more accepted as a hobby than it used to be. Gaming improves skills of balancing your mind. It increases ones concentration power and and improves co-ordination between eyes and hands. We are definitely getting to a point where gaming in general could become a job. its been only 40 years (need to look into the authentic year) for pc gaming, As gaming continues to grow in popularity it will be as normal as going to the movies or being a sports fan. (trying to take the interviewers to the origin & generations of pc gaming)
    Human choice is a complicated affair; cognitive biases:framing effects:Mental models:heuristics
    ·
Sign In or Join to comment.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google