Impact of this INTOLERATION debate on International image of India

Hi,
I saw this article which is about talks between NSA of Pak and Iran, it has a part in it.
"Responding to a question about the anti-Muslim policies in India, the Iranian official made it clear that imposing a ban on cow slaughter and other means could not suppress Islam." Now my point is that whether these protests which most probably seem to be orchestrated for domestic Political mileage by Congress is hurting the Image of our country in International Arena?
tribune.com.pk/story/981197/cooperation-not-competition-iran-quashes-talk-of-undermining-gwadar-port/

Comments

• Congress and leftist brigade in action nothing new... this is their only hope to get back to power in 2019, if they succeed... meanwhile they forget their own misdeeds of 65 yrs...
    I vow to win.... !!!
  • i dont support this giving back award stunt....but this argument of international image to suppress debate is dangerous...some of the utterances and actions of govt also may not conform to international opinion but they anyway do it..in name of protecting international image many "genuine"cases of dissent may also be suppressed...
    One of the greatest mistakes is to judge policies and programs by their intentions rather than their results
  • @osho_baba I am asking in context of this debate only.. otherwise dissent shud be respected as this gives govt to act responsibly and cautiously…
  • The covert support and inaction of govt towards hindu extremists is creating disharmony in this country. That a section of indian population is feeling disturbed and anxious is a fact. This is not about an incident or two. Such incidents are becoming rampant at an alarming rate. In such a condition , the international image is bound to take a hit. The protests and returning of awards can't be whipped off as just opportunism or hypocrisy. There is genuinely something wrong going on.
  • Parties like congress, sp, rjd etc are as communal as bjp. The difference is while the former practice soft communalism, the latter follows hard communalism. The so called secular parties only "appear" to protect interest of minorities . But the minorities find even this superfluous attitude reassuring as it is better than overt hatred preached by bjp.
  • I think its not the debate but issue of intolerance which is the main problem
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • The ruling party needs to understand that a peaceful and tolerant society is coveted by even the investing class. Apart from basic infra and ease of doing business, the general law and order is also imperative for big ticket investments. The international image of india is taking a hit, no doubt. Tourism industry may be the immediate casualty of this phenomenon.
  • when several countries can ban pork why can't India ban the slaughter of an animal revered by the majority population??? is being a Hindu a sin? reports of attacks on other communities goes unreported but the media goes gaga over small incidents involving the so called minority
  • why didn't these writers return rewards after Godhra train burnings? the so called minority can abuse other religions desecrate their worship places burn the tricolour yell pro Pak slogans start ISJK IM and SIMI but the majority caan't even protest on genuine issues?? RIP PSEUDO SECULARISM RIP SICKULARS
  • The ruling party needs to understand that a peaceful and tolerant society is coveted by even the investing class. Apart from basic infra and ease of doing business, the general law and order is also imperative for big ticket investments. The international image of india is taking a hit, no doubt. Tourism industry may be the immediate casualty of this phenomenon.
    @Abhishek Singh2 No doubt whatever u said is right..But why I raised this issue was …It is being orchestrated to harm India and efforts of modi babu or is it genuine that so much intolerance is there…Modi has done commendable start for boosting biz env..result is India is UP IN EASE OF DOING BUSINESS but is Oppostion artificially creating this crap so as to undo his effort and prove india under modi as Intolerant society
  • law and Order part of State list…Why these people do not submit their grievance to CHIEF MINISTER…Instead they want reply from PM…Should Domestic polices impact our image in International level..Is Modi Mitra doing genicides here...
  • edited October 2015
    Just now Saw Nayantara remark..she says that govt is rattled..I think I have decoded the aim behind this chaos..Congress wanted to create a scene by this award return and they are prodding BJP to do something rash.
    Now if govt if do something harsh then it is damned,that will show govt acted in revenge..If it does not do anything then also it is damned…
    It is something like -- You entice somebody to slap you and when he do ..then you cry victim

@SPSahab @MD47
    @Abhishek Singh2 No doubt whatever u said is right..But why I raised this issue was …It is being orchestrated to harm India and efforts of modi babu or is it genuine that so much intolerance is there…Modi has done commendable start for boosting biz env..result is India is UP IN EASE OF DOING BUSINESS but is Oppostion artificially creating this crap so as to undo his effort and prove india under modi as Intolerant society
    communal incidents are increasing. The atmosphere at ground is being vitiated.the hindu youths are being misguided by some elements .hitherto unaffected rural areas are also now being increasingly engulfed with communal passions. Whatsap, fb etc is specially proving handy for this. No doubt such incidents have increased since 2014. And reaction of members of bjp over such incidents also strengthens the case it is supporting them atleast covertly. So the protests can't be called unwarranted. It may be the case that some of them may be congress sympathisers and may have a political motive behind protests, but every one of them can't be painted with same brush.
  • law and Order part of State list…Why these people do not submit their grievance to CHIEF MINISTER…Instead they want reply from PM…Should Domestic polices impact our image in International level..Is Modi Mitra doing genicides here...
    i also think the state govt is majorly responsible for such incidents in their states. And the state governments should also be protested against. As i said earlier , so called secular parties practise soft communalism so as to take votes of minorities. Bjp practices hard communalism to appease the majority.

• communal incidents are increasing. The atmosphere at ground is being vitiated.the hindu youths are being misguided by some elements .hitherto unaffected rural areas are also now being increasingly engulfed with communal passions. Whatsap, fb etc is specially proving handy for this. No doubt such incidents have increased since 2014. And reaction of members of bjp over such incidents also strengthens the case it is supporting them atleast covertly. So the protests can't be called unwarranted. It may be the case that some of them may be congress sympathisers and may have a political motive behind protests, but every one of them can't be painted with same brush.

Can you provide any empirical evidence of what you and many other claiming? Its just that I live in a communally sensitive part of city and I find no change on ground level. Please enlighten me about this sudden increase with some concrete facts.

P.S. Please don't quote "media reports"
  • communal incidents are increasing. The atmosphere at ground is being vitiated.the hindu youths are being misguided by some elements .hitherto unaffected rural areas are also now being increasingly engulfed with communal passions. Whatsap, fb etc is specially proving handy for this. No doubt such incidents have increased since 2014. And reaction of members of bjp over such incidents also strengthens the case it is supporting them atleast covertly. So the protests can't be called unwarranted. It may be the case that some of them may be congress sympathisers and may have a political motive behind protests, but every one of them can't be painted with same brush.

Can you provide any empirical evidence of what you and many other claiming? Its just that I live in a communally sensitive part of city and I find no change on ground level. Please enlighten me about this sudden increase with some concrete facts.

P.S. Please don't quote "media reports"

newspapers like hindu and magazines like frontline are my sources. In the dadri incidents provoking videos like slaughtering of cows were doing rounds for past few days before the incident took place . In states like up such incidents have become common and find place in newspapers everyday. I myself don't believe electronic media but i do consider hindu, frontline authentic. Now please don't say hindu, frontline is leftist, biased, false etc. I can accept that they have leftist tilt but they are in no way inaccurate and wrong.
  • @abhishek singh2 Bhai
    The atmosphere at ground is being vitiated.the hindu youths are being misguided by some elements .hitherto unaffected rural areas are also now being increasingly engulfed with communal passions.
    This is not corroborated by any data or any report ..vague statement...
    Whatsap, fb etc is specially proving handy for thisBhai there was violence related to rakhine in myanmar..muslim youth misguided by whatsapp broke buses in mumbai….No intolerance showcase at that time…no hullabaloo by these writers..

Why these writers didn't come out after Nirbhaya rape case..Muzzaffarnagar Riots…
    They did not criticised Mulayam and akhilesh ..who were watching malaika aroma dancing..while riot victims were shivering in cold..
    List is long..
    Vidya Balan has repsonded positively by saying that "AWARD IS BESTOWED BY NATION NOT BY GOVT"
  • edited October 2015

newspapers like hindu and magazines like frontline are my sources. In the dadri incidents provoking videos like slaughtering of cows were doing rounds for past few days before the incident took place . In states like up such incidents have become common and find place in newspapers everyday. I myself don't believe electronic media but i do consider hindu, frontline authentic. Now please don't say hindu, frontline is leftist, biased, false etc. I can accept that they have leftist tilt but they are in no way inaccurate and wrong.

Newspapers reports like Hindu are not wrong like dadri incident did happen. Its a fact. My main problem is how to derive pattern from some incident. How can we say that intolerance is rising or communal violence is increasing without any data to compare with .
    I think that there must be some evidence ( NCRB data or some scholarly study) that corroborate this perception of rising intolerance. So if, no empirical evidence is forthcoming then I can only conclude its just perception not reality. But perception do matter, perhaps its the game of perception management.

P.S. Do not consider any institutions infallible. Always use your critical power. problem with The Hindu is that it has an ideology . By definition ideology only show partial truth not complete truth. You would be surprised level of violence perpetrated by left government in West Bengal and Hindu glossing it over as " political clash". It would put 100 Dadri's to shame. BTW I can share you Hindu's articles glorifying Tibetan Occupation as great development brought to Tibetan people by PLA and CPC. It can put strongest of imperialist to shame
  • Its all Politics nothing else. Let the Bihar election get over everything will settle down. All media whether electronic or print they are stooges of political parties. Don't ever believe media. They are running the biggest misinformation campaign and even don't hesitate maligning country.
  • I don't think it is as simple as it is being made out to be. When the majority community asserts itself, definitely it causes consternation among minorities. Democracy has its own set of negatives and one of them is tyranny of majority over minority. To belong to a minority community is not easy especially in this subcontinent part of world. Democracy gives way to populist policies over rational policies. After all it is in name of democracy that general category candidates are made to suffer today for no fault of theirs, just because they happen to be numerically inferior to so called backward castes. Tomorrow if our number decreases( which is bound to happen) and their number increases, then reservation limit will exceed the now 53% limit. So minority whether religious, linguistic or caste related, are bound to suffer.

• newspapers like hindu and magazines like frontline are my sources. In the dadri incidents provoking videos like slaughtering of cows were doing rounds for past few days before the incident took place . In states like up such incidents have become common and find place in newspapers everyday. I myself don't believe electronic media but i do consider hindu, frontline authentic. Now please don't say hindu, frontline is leftist, biased, false etc. I can accept that they have leftist tilt but they are in no way inaccurate and wrong.

Newspapers reports like Hindu are not wrong like dadri incident did happen. Its a fact. My main problem is how to derive pattern from some incident. How can we say that intolerance is rising or communal violence is increasing without any data to compare with .
    I think that there must be some evidence ( NCRB data or some scholarly study) that corroborate this perception of rising intolerance. So if, no empirical evidence is forthcoming then I can only conclude its just perception not reality. But perception do matter, perhaps its the game of perception management.

P.S. Do not consider any institutions infallible. Always use your critical power. problem with The Hindu is that it has an ideology . By definition ideology only show partial truth not complete truth. You would be surprised level of violence perpetrated by left government in West Bengal and Hindu glossing it over as " political clash". It would put 100 Dadri's to shame. BTW I can share you Hindu's articles glorifying Tibetan Occupation as great development brought to Tibetan people by PLA and CPC. It can put strongest of imperialist to shame
    I have lost faith in media. It is nothing but self preservation by these presstitutes. 'THE HINDU' is bull shit.
  • No doubt the whole issue is a political gimmick...no one on both sides have any real love for the people .... Agar inhe Hinduism Ka "H" bhi Pata hota toh yeh Sab Hona hi Nahi tha
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"
  • Higher civilian awards should be given log after these people are dead.
    Elite people are feeling the heat now. Opportunism and Hypocrisy of worst kind by these so called intellectuals. TH and IE have become anti govt propaganda. no matter what
  • Once dabolkar's son said in a ndtv debate

"Indian citizens are crushed b/w two major parties, one is pragmatically communal and the other programmatically."

In my view it wouldn't harm India's image at international level. Its we the common man who in every nation are not properly aware of the facts and reality of an event/incident/trends etc. The decision makers... they know everything... And in my view to the most of decision makers of other nations, this domestic matter of india falls last in their priorty list. And to nations to which it matters, we as a nation have a diff ideology to that of theirs.

Yet the recent move by the scientific community is a matter of concern for us as citizens.......
  • Ye lo manufactured outrage ki reality . Hopeless situation for all of us. This pessimistic media is taking a toll on the nation. Fourth Pillar ...

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/faridabad-fire-that-killed-dalit-kids-started-in-room-not-outside-says-forensics-experts/
    :P
  • WAS watchin prespective on rstv today. an expert said as per the ncrb data itz just manufac perception only. these incidents did happened in previous regime too. this tym its just being blown.
  • the hindu front page news buffalo meat back in kerela house..wtf is this..The Hindu is the most communal newspaper i have ever seen..what is the need of fanning this issue in lime n light..i have been reading this newspaper from about 2 years but i havent seen a single article or op-ed in it against religious practices of other religions but it openly gives notes and loads of articles on hindu festivals being communal patriarchal obscurantist etc..this newspaper advocates beef eating but see the hypocrisy non veg is banned in its chennai office..this paper thinks that moody(CPI accent) and hinduism which is the mother of all sects is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of DINOSAURS??i havent seen these yellow journalism newspaper uttering a word against ISIS boko haram in its articles but it will run a series of articles on beef ban hindu sena etc.and no word on kashmiri pandits exodus, atrocities on pak bangla hindus..
    the word hindu has become communal nowadays..and these authors writers are nothing but boot lickers and sycophants of communist pparty and dalle of congress..
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
  • WAS watchin prespective on rstv today. an expert said as per the ncrb data itz just manufac perception only. these incidents did happened in previous regime too. this tym its just being blown.
    Watch the debate on sahitya academy awards return on times now... no one has the answer, why they are returning it now, when past was even bloodier ans murkier then present...
    I vow to win.... !!!
  • edited October 2015
    WAS watchin prespective on rstv today. an expert said as per the ncrb data itz just manufac perception only. these incidents did happened in previous regime too. this tym its just being blown.
    Watch the debate on sahitya academy awards return on times now... no one has the answer, why they are returning it now, when past was even bloodier ans murkier then present...
    not only times debate but on RSTV as well when it was questioned how is the intolerance growing and what are you doing it as a writer to curb it, they had no answer. neither had they any answer when panel asked if it is state sponsored or not they were not saying anything. just said pm should have spoken earlier blah blah.

when one member asked did you writers tried to meet PM over the issue and reason it with him. they said pm should come to us we will not go to the pm. WTF arrogant basta%ds

in my opinion it is a sham. and this is exactly what happens when you let one single party and its puppets rule the country for 60 odd years.

काले घर में सूरज चलके, तुमने शायद सोचा था, मेरे सब मोहरे पिट जायेंगे. मैने एक चराग जलाकर रोशनी कर ली,
    अपना रस्ता खोल लिया :)
  • Who are these writers ?
    Nobody would have bothered even if they were dead. By this gimmick they got their few minutes of fame.
    BTW these media people don't have much reach beyond large cities. Average people are busy with STAR Plus. Even SSC aspirants don't care about all this .
    It is just IAS aspirants who seem to believe that saare desh ka bhar unhi k kandho par as gaya h...
    Otherwise ,this rise in tolerance hoax has no meat ...
Sign In or Join to comment.

Courses by ForumIAS for CSE
ForumIAS is trusted by over 10,000+ students for their Prelims, Mains and Interview Preparation and we currently run several assistance programs to help students from Civil Services prelims preparation to rank upgradation to IAS. You can enroll for these programs by visiting http://blog.forumias.com/courses

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog