Current Affairs + Answer Writing Classes by ForumIAS

Admissions to the Revision Classes for Mains ( Current Affairs+ Answer Writing ) is now open at the Offline Center in New Delhi. Click here to know more and enroll.. Note : Rs. 1000 OFF for all MGP Students , valid till July 11. Email student@forumias.academy to request refund of Rs. 1000 or Visit our Offline Center at http://is.gd/ForumIAS

How to write a kick-ass essay?

Hello friends,

Going by the conventions of this forum, I am a senior member here. These days I am more of a silent spectator rather than an active warrior. Just 10 days before prelims, I decided that I will not be going for CSE anymore and will go after my passions. So, I have decided to write about the tips and tricks which I learnt during the long period of my preparations on my blog.

I have started with essays. I think I have a pretty nice method of writing essays which can be of use to any IAS aspirant. So I have written a blog post about it here- How to write a kick-ass essay!

You can use this framework to develop yours or can the framework as it is. It's your choice. If you have any doubts, you can ask it in the comments - either here or on the blog.

If you think I am promoting my blog, then yes I am because I think I have something valuable to be shared among IAS aspirants. Apart from that, I am blogging for more than 2 years.

All the best :)
·

Comments

• Take a bow @Oceanus. Awesome strategy.

Ps: You are doing cse a great injustice by sitting out. :-bd
    ·
  • @Oceanus :-bd didn't knw about your awesome blog. If possible kindly put some examples for framework of essays too.... regarding ese railways ,why the vacancies for electrical are going lesser and lesser. :(( ....
    btw can I/we know the reason why you have left cse prepn?
    though my attempts are left but dont have energy for next attempt. :(
    Our survival instinct is our single greatest source of inspiration. - Dr. Mann
    ·
  • one question... how to remove the 'follow blog via email' tab... pls fix that
    ·
  • @Oceanus MAN i have seen you actively participating and sharing answers on answer writing threads....like someone said above CSE indeed will lose a good candidate if you decide to sit out from now onwards
    ·
  • @TonyStark The reason is on the blog itself. Read my previous post- Why have I left my IAS preparations?

@an225 @Bureau_crazy Thanks buddy. :)

@blitzkadu Actually I have done that deliberately by tweaking my blog's css properties. Is it obstructing the blog content? Are you viewing it on tab or phone?
    ·
  • yes sir... its blocking the content... im viewing it on my pc.. using chrome
    ·
  • @Oceanus bhai dont give up lets rock the upsc cse
    THE HINDU : hinduism is responsible for all ills in this world including the extinction of dinosaurs..
    hindu tanman hindu jeevan rag rag hindu mera parichay
    KASHMIRI PANDITS N PAKISTANI BANGLA HINDUS TOO HAVE FEELINGS,RELIGIOUS SENTIMENTS AND YES HUMAN RIGHTS(as a MINORITY)
    ·
  • :(( after reading your blog, i felt like crying....hate you now :( why name me (tony stark) in ur blog....
    jokes apart,..... its so true what you wrote...upsc was also not my choice nor childhood dream , my intent for this exam was a chance like many engineers today.... :( ..1 more year..then i too will decide whether to leave this race or not.. :(|)
    @TonyStark The reason is on the blog itself. Read my previous post- Why have I left my IAS preparations?

@an225 @Bureau_crazy Thanks buddy. :)

@blitzkadu Actually I have done that deliberately by tweaking my blog's css properties. Is it obstructing the blog content? Are you viewing it on tab or phone?
    ·
  • @TonyStark All the best buddy..

Doing what we love is the best we can do with our life. :D
    ·

thank you...
    but wasn't michael scoffield had to do what he never dreamed of. it wasn't his choice, there was no other way to save his brother...life has too many choices ..but there are only few chances and further fewer purposes .....doesn't matter one may have interest in that...what life needs is a purpose....this is what i feel..

"sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams."

·
  • kya bakwaas hai..
    ·
  • There is nothing wrong in drawing inspiration from movies/tv shows. However, one need to take other factors also in mind. Juat don't get swayed because of movies. Yes, I know Real life stories inspire the reel life. But exercise your judgement with keeping all factors in mind. I think you must have deliberated a lot before taking decision to leave CSE. @Oceanus

I am just becoming Devil's advocate for others.
    ·
  • There is nothing wrong in drawing inspiration from movies/tv shows. However, one need to take other factors also in mind. Juat don't get swayed because of movies. Yes, I know Real life stories inspire the reel life. But exercise your judgement with keeping all factors in mind. I think you must have deliberated a lot before taking decision to leave CSE. @Oceanus

ab yar tum kyu sikhane aa gaye seekhe hue bande ko...
    he wrote at length describing the build up to his decision.
    ab stamp paper pe bhi likhwa lo
    ·
  • edited October 2015
    There is nothing wrong in drawing inspiration from movies/tv shows. However, one need to take other factors also in mind. Juat don't get swayed because of movies. Yes, I know Real life stories inspire the reel life. But exercise your judgement with keeping all factors in mind. I think you must have deliberated a lot before taking decision to leave CSE. @Oceanus

hello buddy @MisfitMedico ...don't know about others.....but after going through it....i am feeling the same..kind of depressed.....to give up....didn't study anything from last night.....many of my friends are enjoying life...going for trip every weekend and enjoying their life....and are leading a healthy social life...while myself i am just sitting around inside a room.......what to do to motivate myself and pull back myself from entering the abyss?...

ps: pls dont say to read (non-upsc )books or watch movie...coz i have none of these...
    ·
  • Haha.. U Dared to come Back to Your Passion when You Could Have Just Lost Out in The Herd Mentality.
    Respect =D> (on Ur deciding To Leave Cse)
    What doesn't kill u, makes u stronger.
    ·
  • Well written @Oceanus . Wish you all the best for your future endeavours. :-bd \m/
    Enjoy the hard work.
    ·
  • @oceanus Bhai mast essay k tips.....Bhai forum par apne 'Charan' post karo......
    ;)
    ·

thank you...
    but wasn't michael scoffield had to do what he never dreamed of. it wasn't his choice, there was no other way to save his brother...life has too many choices ..but there are only few chances and further fewer purposes .....doesn't matter one may have interest in that...what life needs is a purpose....this is what i feel..

"sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams."

@TonyStark Forgot Neanderthal? Oceanus took this decision based on his priorities and experiences. Why should you be influenced? You have to climb your own Everest, not his. \m/ All the best!
    P.S. A fellow EE (in case you've forgotten :P)
    I'm perfectly imperfect
    ·
  • @TonyStark Don't get depressed buddy. I never said that going for IAS is a wrong decision. It can never be - for those who are made for that field.
    If you love it, just go for it. Doesn't matters if you have to sacrifice your social life for that. And then each and every moment of preparation is totally worth it. Because in the end, you will earn the supreme - satisfaction and happiness in life.
    But if you don't love it, then why to waste your present for a frustrated future?

I hope you are getting it...
    Tu beer hai. Tera kaam hai behna. (Ignore this if you haven't seen TVF pitchers :D)
    ·
  • awesome.loved it.vry helpful.thank u oceanus.
    ·

• @TonyStark Forgot Neanderthal? Oceanus took this decision based on his priorities and experiences. Why should you be influenced? You have to climb your own Everest, not his. \m/ All the best!
    P.S. A fellow EE (in case you've forgotten :P)
    :D my memory is good....didn't forget anything.....thanks for those motivating words..
    ·
  • Bhai @TonyStark
    You are the future Secretary General of the UN. Don't even think of quitting.. \m/
    The only thing you need to worry about is whether the UN will survive another 40 years or so.. :P <:-P </p>
    thanks yaar,, ..., i am interested in diplomacy .....last year filled IFS as first preference bt this time i will let others ( such as family relatives and the person who asked me to try this exam) decide...
    ·
  • @Oceanus thanks ..and also if you have time (and of course u have now) do upload some sample essays alongwith its framework... :D
    ·
  • @TonyStark
    Game_changer has succinctly said abt what course one should take.
    Abt Motivation part, I am just a fellow aspirant. I don't have any formula. But I will still advise to read one or two following books. Not to finish them. But just start reading it. You will again be back in the field.

1. Talent is overrated.
    2. Outliers/David vs Goliath/Any book by Malcom Gladwell.
    ·
  • @Oceanus thanks ..and also if you have time (and of course u have now) do upload some sample essays alongwith its framework... :D
    Ok. I will try :)
    ·
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Subscribe to ForumIAS Blog