Kimberley Process Intersessional Meeting 2019 in Mumbai SVEEP Nodal Officers from across the country meet to deliberate upon the blueprint for the next five years Cross-border data movement under new law may be allowed on basis of reciprocity: Prasad Cabinet approves New Delhi International Arbitration Centre Bill,2019 Trade deficit widens to $15.36 bn in May
ANSWER WRITING GROUP (AWG) 2019
ForumIAS AWG 2019 Entrance Exam will be held on 8th June | 9 AM.   CLICK HERE to know more and apply.
Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here
COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from May 15th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more
We are hiring!

How to improve spoken english?

I want to improve my spoken english. I had no exposure to speak in enlish. I am from rural area. So i cant do it even now as i am staying in home. For this reason, i took use of translator in cse interview, since i gave it in regional language. But the person was stammering more than me, litterally.
Anyway, please help me with this. Any practical advice, suggestion, tips etc.
Thank you.

Comments

• Hello @DrKingSchultz ..I need advice in this regard too .If I answer all of these questions in -Yes! .What will be your advice to me?
    TIA :)
    You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
  • edited April 2016
    @DrKingSchultz sir same dilemma and here are my answers to your questions-
    1. I am in college so yes I have lan connection.
    2. no, never
    3. saw only one- The Shawshank
    Redemption
    4. 2017 will be my first attempt
    so sir kindly guide accordingly
  • edited April 2016
    thank you very much @DrKingSchultz sir.....can i start with non fiction books instead of novel
  • @feluda
    I need some data to formulate a strategy for your dilemma.

1. Do you have a broadband connection?
    2. Have you read any english novels before?
    3. Do you see english movies?
    4. Have you written mains in english language?

1. Yes..i have one
    2. Yes...i have read many..like chetan bhagat, arbind adiga, immortals of meluha etc
    3. 3. Yes...too many. Especially of tom hanks and related to world wars...mainly from imdb list.
    4. 3. I have written mains in english but given interview in regional language. But due to the stammering of interpreter, dr.manbir singh gave me the option of giving the intrvw in eng or hindi. I preferred english but got only 143.
    5. But anyways, my problem is, i think in my native lang and then try to translate them. Thats why i feel no prob in writing. But in speaking, fluency is the main issue.
    Please help....
  • Hey bro earlier even i spake bad spoken english every time . But then i started watching english movies inside which they speak good spoken english with sub titles. With time your mouth will itself start speaking in english. And always hear old english songs and englush cricket commentry.
    hey bro
  • edited April 2016
    Aisa hai, I am someone who had very good grammar from the beginning (don't know why, some say it's in genes; no one in my school or at home spoke in English with me, though my father also has very good written English), but I frozen whenever I had to speak in English. In my third year at IIT, I decided to improve my English. First step was vocabulary for me as grammar was not a problem. So I read many novels, and of course the Hindu. After reading a page/article, I underlined the words I didn't know, looked up their meaning in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, learnt their pronunciation from the software provided with the dictionary, and formed my own sentences with it. I noted all this down in a notebook. At that time I was doing humanities courses in IIT, and I tried to use these words in the discussions that took place in the class. At the end of this exercise which lasted for a semester, I was much more fluent in spoken English and my vocabulary had reached a different plain altogether. After that, I never needed to look up the dictionary for at least the Hindu. As far as colloquial English is concerned, it works in phrases. English movies come in handy for learning it. But most important thing is to use the words yourself and internalise them. You should be so engrossed with the effort that you may even start dreaming in English (if there are any words in your dream). This is an old school hard-work strategy which paid off for me.
  • feluda said:

I want to improve my spoken english. I had no exposure to speak in enlish. I am from rural area. So i cant do it even now as i am staying in home. For this reason, i took use of translator in cse interview, since i gave it in regional language. But the person was stammering more than me, litterally.
    Thank you.

Difficult to blive u r not fluent in English, considering the fact that u write such fine English. But if u r genuinely hving problem with spoken English, then nothing can be more helpful than English movies n TV series.
  • feluda said:

Thank you.

Difficult to blive u r not fluent in English, considering the fact that u write such fine English. But if u r genuinely hving problem with spoken English, then nothing can be more helpful than English movies n TV series.
    Please blv me...i have this problem. May be due to no practice. Another problem is, i feel suffocated and shy when i try to speak in english. It may soung childish but cant help it. Its the fact. The irony is, i know the problem area and weakness but cant do anything about it. There are some people who can atleast blame their parents for not admitting them in english medium schools, but i cant do that too. We were very very poor and i am thankfull that i was given a good education. But speaking in english in our village? Its like daydream.
  • Thanks a lot for nice inputs. @all
  • feluda said:

feluda said:

Thank you.

Please blv me...i have this problem. May be due to no practice. Another problem is, i feel suffocated and shy when i try to speak in english. It may soung childish but cant help it. Its the fact. The irony is, i know the problem area and weakness but cant do anything about it. There are some people who can atleast blame their parents for not admitting them in english medium schools, but i cant do that too. We were very very poor and i am thankfull that i was given a good education. But speaking in english in our village? Its like daydream.
    I also started with reading news papers, jotting down words, using them in my own sentences etc. I improved alot within one year. But, that fluency was not there. I used to feel a mental block, reason was the time my mind would take to first translate any sentence from hindi to english. I started speaking with people who could not communicate well in hindi, for example, people from north east or south india. That created a pressure to improve at faster pace. I used to face difficulty in expressing myself, but it went away gradually. It was a gradual process, like started giving orders at coffee shops in english, choosing that 'press 2 to speak in english' with customer care executives etc.

So bottom line is, have people around who have good lingustic skills, learn phonetics given in last few pages of oxford dictionary, and most importantly, remove that mental block by regular practice. Atb
  • My experience...Read The Hindu for consecutive months....Became more fluent...Faced no problems in CAPF interview...was my life's first interview...I think to become fluent (at least average speaker), reading is must...
    pre - 2, mains - 1*
  • edited April 2016

My experience...Read The Hindu for consecutive months....Became more fluent...Faced no problems in CAPF interview...was my life's first interview...I think to become fluent (at least average speaker), reading is must...

Reading hindu does not improve spoken english. There is big difference in english grammar and spoken english. Both look the same. But it is not necessary that any person who is good in spoken english is also good in grammar or vice versa..... you have not faced any problem because you were confident which is absent with the owner of this thread.

@feluda

Your english conversation that i "read" above is fine... in fact very good.
    I would say you should be more confident and not think that "i have a problem when it comes to speaking in english". Having said that, i would recommend you to watch english channels when ever your free.... also watch english news channels... watch arnab goswamis debates. Personally i feel he is a very competent speaker and yes entertainer too. You can also watch manikantan iyer and chidambaram speeches on youtube.
  • My experience...Read The Hindu for consecutive months....Became more fluent...Faced no problems in CAPF interview...was my life's first interview...I think to become fluent (at least average speaker), reading is must...

Reading hindu does not improve spoken english. There is big difference in english grammar and spoken english. Both look the same. But it is not necessary that any person who is good in spoken english is also good in grammar or vice versa..... you have not faced any problem because you were confident which is absent with the owner of this thread.

@feluda

Your english conversation that i "read" above is fine... in fact very good.
    I would say you should be more confident and not think that "i have a problem when it comes to speaking in english". Having said that, i would recommend you to watch english channels when ever your free.... also watch english news channels... watch arnab goswamis debates. Personally i feel he is a very competent speaker and yes entertainer too. You can also watch manikantan iyer and chidambaram speeches on youtube.
    You are absolutely right. Confidence is the issue.
  • Luna said:

Hello @DrKingSchultz ..I need advice in this regard too .If I answer all of these questions in -Yes! .What will be your advice to me?
    TIA :)

@Luna
    Decide on one or two famous novels or books.
    Search for their audiobooks on www.librivox.org or on youtube.
    Read a page first and then listen to the audiobook while reading silently. Observe which syllables are stressed and how the flow of the sentence is maintained. Try reading in this way from time to time.

Watch the videos of public speakers and politicians on youtube. Observe and try to emulate. Pay close attention to connectors and the pauses.
    It will take time but you should definitely see an improvement in two-three months.
    Thanx a lot @DrKingSchultz :)

You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else.
  • @feluda

first of all accept the fact that you will not be expert in spoken english within 2-3 months of approach.

if can join a good institute like veta or niit.
    read english newspapers use a dictionary to learn new words or watch english movies with subtitles.

you will gain confidence only when you practice speaking publicly or at best interact with others who are in same league with you.keep the process of learning slow but steady and do not expect quick results.
    "i am the guy doing my job,you must be the other guy."
  • Please mention some magnificent speakers whom we should listen to improve our spkoen English. Any suggestions would be appreciated wholeheartedly@all.
    Thank you
  • When u read any material in English, read it by mouth not in mind .. watch English conversation and try to get the accent .. Read novels which has lot of conversation in it .. Believe me, even English medium students don't know to speak English .. only few knows .. English medium chya mulanna, na dhad marathi yeta, naa dhad English yeta, naa dhad hindi yeta..( English medium students don't know any language properly, until an unless he/she takes an effort ) ..
    Simplicity is the real beauty ..
  • Stand in front of mirror and talk to yourself .. and first start with Indian English accent only .. Rapidex ki ek book aati hai .. you can use that book to improve your English .. reading newspaper or reading upsc books will not ur spoken English unless u read by your mouth .. During my school days, I studied marathi but never spoke infact I was very shy in speaking it .. but, slowly when someone forced me to talk in marathi, slowly I gain momentum and now I can conversate in marathi atleast basic things though not fullfledged pure marathi ..point is building confidence while speaking any language ..and that can only be done in a very small steps ..not by a jump .. if I talk about myself, I can conversate in marathi properly but will read marathi books like a child ..not good at reading books but can talk fluently .. so there is no relation between reading /speaking/writing a particular language ..
  • Once my school teacher said in the class, I still remember those lines .. she said, when you give any speech in any language or conversate with people, just assume that the people standing in front of you don't know anything and you are genious ..if you assume this, automatically you will gain confidence and will proceed properly .. when we talk with a small kid in any language, we don't feel shy because we know that kid will not say anything and hv low level then us ..so we maintain our confidence level in front of the child ..but when its about talking the same thing, same language with the grown up people, we start thinking what that guy will say, if we say something wrong .. and automatically confidence lower down .. and instead of conversating we prefer to remain silent .. and give response in yes /no / or only in easy and habitual words /lines .. sabse bada rog, kya kahenge log .. log wahi kahenge aur samjhenge Jo unhe samjh me ata hoga .. maintain the confidence and talk freely even if you get wrong, no matter .. one day will come, people will appreciate your confidence and trying nature of not giving up .. keep learning, keep progressing .. ATB ..
  • edited April 2016
    amethyst said:

Once my school teacher said in the class, I still remember those lines .. she said, when you give any speech in any language or converse with people, just assume that the people standing in front of you don't know anything and you are genius ..if you assume this, automatically you will gain confidence and will proceed properly ..

>:) I received a similar advice before my presentation.. I must say, it worked! :)
  • yes ..it definitely works .. :-) that advice was not for me, but whole class .. may b in 6th ,7th std ..
  • edited April 2016
    Dr King has here nailed the query already, i'll add just my one bit here that i feel has helped me. It's about increasing confidence, and one way to do that is to speak louder, increase the volume of your voice. It has helped me and I would add it helped more than just improving my communication or spoken english.

speak loudly. with practice you can master the new level of volume in your voice. the new comfort of confident words.

p.s. I think Navjot Singh Sidhhu is a very good example of one who has utilized this tool. See his confidence.
    इस बात पर मुझे हँसना चाहिए।

Hobbies: Reading and Writing | Listening to Ghazals
  • Hey guys
    I hv a problem of speaking very fast ..by fast i mean the time lap between words is quite short because of which oftentimes the person with whom i m communicating might not understand or comprehend it well ..
    Though i have been working on it for quite sometime n i m on the improvement track but i want more advice from u people how to handle such problem....
    I hope u people can understand my problem n will recommend me the right n effective remedies...
  • is there any app or website for correct Indian English accent ?
    Zindagi me badi shiddat se nibhao apna kirdaar...ki parde girne par bhi taaliyan bajte rahe...
  • A simple thing to do everyday is to learn the meaning of a new word. At least one word in a day. I have been doing this. We come across such words while reading the Hindu or any novel. Doing this will help.
    BA History - Political science. LLB. LLM student.
    Optional - History
  • Note down the customer care number of 10 big companies and talk to them in english. You can thank them and tell them that their service is great and products are awesome or you can ask some simple questions.

Talk to yourself in english. What can be better than this. A person talks to himself most in the day.

Listen to english songs and music videos. First read lyrics if you find it hard to understand and then listen to them without lyrics.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google