We are hiring!

What is the source?

I was looking at questions at questions of 2013 mains. Here are some of them:

1. Questions related to Section 66A of IT Act

2. The basis for providing urban amenities in rural areas (PURA) is rooted in establishing connectivity. Comment

3. What do you understand by "the string of pearls"? How does it impact India? Briefly outline the steps taken by India to counter this. (200 words)  (10 marks)

4. What is meant by Gujaral doctrine? Does it have any relevance today? Discuss. (200 words)  (10 marks)

most of the ques. especially from gs3 cannot be found in any book. Many of them were from arc reports. I'm not following newspapers from 2012. So my question is:

Q1. were these topics in news back then?

Q2. The way questions are asked especially in gs2 and gs3, if one has basics clear (means one understands what news is about) and he/she reads newspapers and magazines daily and has his/her own viewpoint (so he/she can criticize, most of the questions these days are analysis type), he/she can rock the paper.

No one is asking for the functions of supreme court or powers of president. I see no point in remembering the whole laxmikanth. Half of it I find is useless given the current trend of mains. Reading it for prelims is okay but learning point by point every function and power and procedure seems to be wastage of time. Am I right?

I'm a beginner so i'm a bit confused. Please help friends

Comments

• newspaper reading must along with basic books like laxmikanth
  • edited March 2016

2. The basis for providing urban amenities in rural areas (PURA) is rooted in establishing connectivity. Comment

3. What do you understand by "the string of pearls"? How does it impact India? Briefly outline the steps taken by India to counter this. (200 words)  (10 marks)

4. What is meant by Gujaral doctrine? Does it have any relevance today? Discuss. (200 words)  (10 marks)

most of the ques. especially from gs3 cannot be found in any book. Many of them were from arc reports. I'm not following newspapers from 2012. So my question is:

Q2. The way questions are asked especially in gs2 and gs3, if one has basics clear (means one understands what news is about) and he/she reads newspapers and magazines daily and has his/her own viewpoint (so he/she can criticize, most of the questions these days are analysis type), he/she can rock the paper.

No one is asking for the functions of supreme court or powers of president. I see no point in remembering the whole laxmikanth. Half of it I find is useless given the current trend of mains. Reading it for prelims is okay but learning point by point every function and power and procedure seems to be wastage of time. Am I right?

Hi,

I am so glad you asked this beginner question. As a beginner you would be clueless over answering such questions. Let me take them one by one

Questions related to Section 66A of IT Act

This was in news. For a very prolonged time. So you would have answered this questions that year. Most people did. It wa

PURA was actually not much in news that year. but most people know about PURA and other schemes because questions have been asked before from this topic. Anyway, that year this question was not answered by most people fully. Mostly people who had done PURA well wrote a direct answer. Others , guessed an answer and wrote it.

There was not much to guess either. There was some element of interpretation as to what connectivity the question is talking about.

This is IR - one of favourite areas, and perhaps the only paper where I have always scored above my peers. even if I didnt, I enjoyed the paper.

This was an easy question. Guess what, this question came two years in a row. If there is a question on China, you will have to end up mentioning it. How does one come to know about such IR questions?

Such questions cannot be answered from reading the Hindu daily news items, but only from some columns that you follow. Where there is analysis, theory etc. If you follow any columnist on Indian Express, you would be drooling over such questions. Bad news is, its an easy question for most people with some experience.

Again, Gujaral doctrine isn't something that should make a news headline. It didnt. But is covered in columns and editorials and RSTV debates. More than once. every year. Some columnists, including M K Narayan have often complained over India losing out to Pakistan on because of the pacifist attitude of I K Gujaral. When I K Gujaral demised, we had some articles on the same.

Analysing your questions, I can see that you have had most difficulty in IR parts. Here is the easiest way to crack IR -

1. Be thorogh with The Hindu IR Part
    2. Follow any one columnist from Indian Express
    3. For base, read either - Read Rajiv Sikri Book (recommended by me) OR Civil Services Times for 6 months ( recommended by me or do Chokkalingham IR notes - he covers everything . ( recommended by me, greymatterrules , tejasvani - the last two are in Service, so their suggestion carries more weight , usually )

IR questions are failry easy and scoring and if you two things

1. Write pointiwse breaking the question into parts
    2. Drawing a rough diagram /Map in every IR question

you will do well.

There is no other Mantra.

Hope this helps! :)
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • I have pol sci optional, do i need to study other book apart from laxmikanth?
  • edited March 2016
    Neyawn said:

Hi,

I am so glad you asked this beginner question. As a beginner you would be clueless over answering such questions. Let me take them one by one

Questions related to Section 66A of IT Act

This was in news. For a very prolonged time. So you would have answered this questions that year. Most people did. It wa

PURA was actually not much in news that year. but most people know about PURA and other schemes because questions have been asked before from this topic. Anyway, that year this question was not answered by most people fully. Mostly people who had done PURA well wrote a direct answer. Others , guessed an answer and wrote it.

There was not much to guess either. There was some element of interpretation as to what connectivity the question is talking about.

This is IR - one of favourite areas, and perhaps the only paper where I have always scored above my peers. even if I didnt, I enjoyed the paper.

This was an easy question. Guess what, this question came two years in a row. If there is a question on China, you will have to end up mentioning it. How does one come to know about such IR questions?

Such questions cannot be answered from reading the Hindu daily news items, but only from some columns that you follow. Where there is analysis, theory etc. If you follow any columnist on Indian Express, you would be drooling over such questions. Bad news is, its an easy question for most people with some experience.

Again, Gujaral doctrine isn't something that should make a news headline. It didnt. But is covered in columns and editorials and RSTV debates. More than once. every year. Some columnists, including M K Narayan have often complained over India losing out to Pakistan on because of the pacifist attitude of I K Gujaral. When I K Gujaral demised, we had some articles on the same.

Analysing your questions, I can see that you have had most difficulty in IR parts. Here is the easiest way to crack IR -

1. Be thorigh with The Hindu IR Part
    2. Follow any one columnist from Indian Express
    3. For base, read either - Read Rajiv Sikri Book (recommended by me) OR Civil Services Times for 6 months ( recommended by me or do Chokkalingham IR notes - he covers everything . ( recommended by me, greymatterrules , tejasvani - the last two are in Service, so their suggestion carries more weight , usually )

IR questions are failry easy and scoring and if you two things

1. Write pointiwse breaking the question into parts
    2. Drawing a rough diagram /Map in every IR question

you will do well.

There is no other Mantra.

Hope this helps! :)
    Thanks @Neyawn

• Thanks @Captain_Peroxide
    I'll read laxmikanth very well
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly