We are hiring!

Is it ethically correct to close down threads when we preach freedom of speech? Is it not hypocrisy?

Comments

• Kal k thread pe intolerance pe debate hoti toh kabhi ban nahi hota thread. Par selective abuse karna galat hain. Aur abuses huye the. Agar sahi mein thread banana hain aur constructive debate karna hain toh make a new thread. Koi mod waise mana nahi karega. Par usme agar abuse karoge aur ye bologe ki Pakistan chale jao. Economic isolation karo , toh ye galat hi hain. Kal k thread pe comments padhke kisi bhi rationale insaan ka dimaag kharaab hoga hi ki ye sab upsc aspirants. Difference hi kya reh gaya itna p
    It is Job Hi Karwalo .. not Jo Bhi Karwalo.... mind it
  • I think @Neyawn is right but not fully. I agree with him that this platform is not for discussing religious issues. Why? Cos it is not upsc syllabus and every time it happens people are abused, insulted and practices are mocked. Freedom of speech comes with responsibilty and yes there are over sensitive people who takes these debates very personally and starts generalizing whole community. And mods are right IMO to close when comments are made on religious symbols or Gods. There is no denying some mods are very biased and they allow one religion to get abused and when other communtiy even makes an indirect comment, thread is closed down. I want to ask them why this biased attitude? You should act like a neutral cricket umpire. No one is disallowing Intolerance debate discussion, it is on main stream media every time but here I have heard some well read mind of India takes part in this debate and when they start abusing then it looks too nasty to explain. One can not go on abusing one communtiy in the veil of anonymity. If you really care why not come out with real identity? Do you care about repurcussions?

Too much said about that. Now Newayn what's wrong in doing Bakar? Come in sublime thread and see what people discuss there. Don't take any isolated incidents where some people have crossed limits. Bakar is gossip and while people wait for results they guide new ones, they ans questions, they discuss psychology physics politics schemes international issues. They joke with good PJs, they inspire, they motivate, they discuss hobbies. People from there takes part in other threads too. Some of the discussions there have come on mains exam as questions. In the end we enjoy in healthy way there.

Newayn, I really respect you as a Guru and your guidance, if I had said something harsh, don't think me I am against you.

Bhai,

1. As long as you oppose me but dont abuse me, I dont take offence.
    2. I don't want to be the rightest person in a group. When you said neyawn is right, but not fully, I would say - I dont even have to be right all the time. I should be wrong sometimes so that I make corrections. Just like, among the 5 people I most talk - I am NOT the smartest person - and If I were, then my learning would stop.
    3. What is wrong in Bakar - Not much. But the time cost of moderation of bakar is HUGE. I , for one, dont enter bakar threads at all ( and have no idea what happens there ) I admire and respect creativity, in any and every field
    *No good deed goes unpunished* | I am no knight, do not call me Sir | I write articles for Civil Services Aspirants, you can find them at http://blog.forumias.com/author/neyawn |
  • @Bodo But I will never leave India. This because majority of Hindu users objected that this thread is going nowhere. Majority of users were with me. I need those Hindus in my life and that is why I will never leave India.

Here you are. Bhai full quote nai kia. Sorry !

But baat unki ho rai hai jo bashing kr rhe the full throttle, unke solutions kaha hain ???
  • Bodo said:

Nuralain said:

@Woodpecker if that's the case, you should've banned. I, for one, did not see that happening either. Common, now don't say nobody was abused. Proclivities harm decisions. :-)

You have done enough to ban urself too madam :smiley:

PS- except 2-3 sab bogus mods hai. Without required qualities !!
    dude she is trying her level best to maintain the decency of the forum. if you can not appreciate then kindly refrain from insulting the people who are helping keep the forum clean.
    Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.
  • RaviSingh said:

@Harvey_Dent and @Woodpecker

I would be the person who closed down the bakar thread , but I would assure you that neyawn would not disagree.

This is because there is a bakar thread for speculation already going on . See attachment.

Yes, people doing bakar also contribute to the forum , whenever they feel like. But if the contribution ratio falls below

how can you close down bakar or any other thread..!! you are not even a moderator..!!

do you operate from the account of @root..!!
    Precisely yes. I am not saying I do my job well, but have been root for some duration. Both men and women have been root, which is why sometimes neyawn may have referred to root as "she" sometimes.

I don't have to be anything including root. Even while I am logged in as RaviSingh, and if you are facing any trouble with your account, I could sign in as you. I usually do that when females complain of harassment and the only way to verify that is to log is as them with their permission.
    Official Recruiter For ForumIAS.com. | PM me for working with us.
  • RaviSingh said:

RaviSingh said:

I would be the person who closed down the bakar thread , but I would assure you that neyawn would not disagree.

This is because there is a bakar thread for speculation already going on . See attachment.

Yes, people doing bakar also contribute to the forum , whenever they feel like. But if the contribution ratio falls below

how can you close down bakar or any other thread..!! you are not even a moderator..!!

do you operate from the account of @root..!!
    Precisely yes. I am not saying I do my job well, but have been root for some duration. Both men and women have been root, which is why sometimes neyawn may have referred to root as "she" sometimes.

I don't have to be anything including root. Even while I am logged in as RaviSingh, and if you are facing any trouble with your account, I could sign in as you. I usually do that when females complain of harassment and the only way to verify that is to log is as them with their permission.
    was not aware about that...
  • Let me tell you from my past experiences with such threads on inflammatory topics. Pehle kuch time tak sensible discussion chalta, fir koi naye points jab nahi bachate to log abuse pe utar aate. Pehle ek side wala abuse karta fir dusre side se usko equal and opposite reaction milta and the chain is continued further. Agar bich me kisi ko ban bhi kardo to bhi dono sides ke logo ke sentiments hurt hue rehte to abusive comments keep coming on in future. The discussion never stops because both parties have strong emotional attachment with their own views. So rather than keep deleting such abusive comments and banning users, it's more beneficial to close such threads to prevent them from spreading further hatred.
    Musafir hu yaaron... na ghar hai na thikana... mujhe chalate jana hai, bas chalate hi jana hai.........
  • @Bodo But I will never leave India. This because majority of Hindu users objected that this thread is going nowhere. Majority of users were with me. I need those Hindus in my life and that is why I will never leave India.

Here you are. Bhai full quote nai kia. Sorry !

But baat unki ho rai hai jo bashing kr rhe the full throttle, unke solutions kaha hain ???

In that case they sud hv been banned. Phir soln hum sab nikalte.
    Thread close karne se prob khatam ho jayegi..soln aa jayega !!
    Aspirants hai sab..free mind se discuss karte ho sakta hai 4-8 logo ko irrationility dur ho jati.
    Koop mandook ban-ne se kuch nahi hota. Keep under lids- many like me you nd others may enter service with faulty mindset nd thinking.
    Nyway i m out...closing of thread is nt justfied in nyway. Just for their comfort mods hv closed it so dt they hv less work to do.
    Aur ye jo bc kuch mods logic dete hai ki no one hs time to moderate. They shud leave modshp if they dnt hv time. One shud never b a reluctant leader.

कसूर ना उनका है ना मेरा, हम दोनो रिश्तों की रसमें निभाते रहे;वो दोस्ती का एहसास जताते रहे, हम मोहबत को दिल में छुपाते रहे।
    @summum bonum
  • @RaviSingh so , do you know how to open profile of any member here?
    I am not saying , you will do that . but, just asking generally.
    :smile:
  • Choman khaini
  • chemistry said:

Choman khaini

Lol.Dude, You are obsessed with khaini so much. :lol:
  • chemistry said:

Choman khaini

Jaane de bhai usko. Chor de. Jaan leli hai tumne uski... :D :D :D
  • @RaviSingh so , do you know how to open profile of any member here?
    I am not saying , you will do that . but, just asking generally.
    :smile:

Jasoosi ke liye naye ideas search kar rhi h winni
    Just do it.
  • RaviSingh said:

Who gave you the right to arbitrarily pick a percentage you feel like to be the basis for contribution. Contribution ratio? What the hell is that? Everything doesn't need to have an instrumental value. You do make for a good utilitarian though. Sab usefulness se sidhh nahi hota. Sometimes discussions are needed because they are the right thing to do.

If there are certain discussions that do not interest someone, they should keep away from them instead of questioning our right to have those debates in the first place. Yes, there is a full blown hypocrisy going on right now and people have every right to question it. Sentiments that hindus and muslims have harboured based on irrational belief patterns will be questioned on every forum and on every stage and you moderators have no business quelling it to protect those sentiments. Defend your sentiments rationally and prove the doubters wrong instead of whining like a coward and making them immune to criticism and debate.

• Not only against a religious community against women too, the comments that have been posted by some are so reprehensible that one feels ashamed of even being a part of this platform no wonder the participation of females has dwindled here.
    You can have whatever views you like but there is a manner in which views should be put forth so as to enable a constructive debate. sadly, that never happens. So instead of blaming moderators why don't you people appeal to the members to keep their dialogues clean since you are all so keen on 'constructive discussions'?
    Why do you not ,instead of cheering on abusers by liking their comments and encouraging them call them out and reprimand them for being abusive or obscene?

P.S I'm talking out of my personal experience here, not making a general statement based merely on observation. There have been obscene and abusive posts hurled at me, so much so that root had to e mail me to assure me assistance if I needed to file a police complaint against one in particular.
  • edited January 2016
    Lorelei said:

Not only against a religious community against women too, the comments that have been posted by some are so reprehensible that one feels ashamed of even being a part of this platform no wonder the participation of females has dwindled here.
    You can have whatever views you like but there is a manner in which views should be put forth so as to enable a constructive debate. sadly, that never happens. So instead of blaming moderators why don't you people appeal to the members to keep their dialogues clean since you are all so keen on 'constructive discussions'?
    Why do you not ,instead of cheering on abusers by liking their comments and encouraging them call them out and reprimand them for being abusive or obscene?

P.S I'm talking out of my personal experience here, not making a general statement based merely on observation. There have been obscene and abusive posts hurled at me, so much so that root had to e mail me to assure me assistance if I needed to file a police complaint against one in particular.

i m srry for your experience...some of us here are certainly very patriarchal, casteist and bigoted...but that's besides the point...those people must be banned..but dnt close any thread....by doing this they discourage constructive contributors too. ..just like in the last thread even if a disproportionate number of users were hurling abuses, there were many genuine conversations too... the abusers' profiles should be outrightly deleted... so much so that they feel bored even to create a new profile...but mods wont do that...because the abusres are the people who increase traffic here...
  • edited January 2016
    Edit :.
    Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
  • i have one suggestion:
    Create a seperate thread for mods where log is maintained of all those profiles banned and threads closed with reasons for the same, dont keep it open for general public but this way atleast people will know whats going on and uniformity in approach will evolve. It will be chaotic in the begining and but surely work towards addressing the perception that mods are biased and inturn address the partisanship accusation. On the other hand it will serve as a deterent for trouble makers as rules will become much clearer based on registered logs.
  • K9 said:

RaviSingh said:

Who gave you the right to arbitrarily pick a percentage you feel like to be the basis for contribution. Contribution ratio? What the hell is that? Everything doesn't need to have an instrumental value. You do make for a good utilitarian though. Sab usefulness se sidhh nahi hota. Sometimes discussions are needed because they are the right thing to do.

If there are certain discussions that do not interest someone, they should keep away from them instead of questioning our right to have those debates in the first place. Yes, there is a full blown hypocrisy going on right now and people have every right to question it. Sentiments that hindus and muslims have harboured based on irrational belief patterns will be questioned on every forum and on every stage and you moderators have no business quelling it to protect those sentiments. Defend your sentiments rationally and prove the doubters wrong instead of whining like a coward and making them immune to criticism and debate.

I am not against anything you say. All I am saying is that this is NOT the right platform for it. This is a Forum For Civil Services preparation. It will stay that way. I am employed to ensure this. I will do my job well.
    Official Recruiter For ForumIAS.com. | PM me for working with us.
  • edited January 2016
    Eiago said:

i have one suggestion:
    Create a seperate thread for mods where log is maintained of all those profiles banned and threads closed with reasons for the same, dont keep it open for general public but this way atleast people will know whats going on and uniformity in approach will evolve. It will be chaotic in the begining and but surely work towards addressing the perception that mods are biased and inturn address the partisanship accusation. On the other hand it will serve as a deterent for trouble makers as rules will become much clearer based on registered logs.

Make @Eiago bhai a moderator. :)
  • Eiago said:

i have one suggestion:

so that he can have a taste of his own medicine? ;) ha ha ha..
    Good Bye. See you Later.
  • pizza said:

Eiago said:

i have one suggestion:

so that he can have a taste of his own medicine? ;) ha ha ha..
    ab to wo comment delete bhi nahi kar sakta...
  • I quote an example of a flag we received in the thread that was taken down

There have been traitors like u in medieval times as well. Read history of few hindu kings who sold their daughters n sisters for their comforts. U will get a lot of inspiration from them. Anyways I give u a suggestion.
    Why don't u read kalma, chop half of ur penis n grow beard. U will have option of sleeping with ur cousins also then. Ask ur women to wear hijab n burqa. Marry them off to some mullah. One mullah will take care of 4 of ur sisters.....

and it goes on...this does not need a moderator to close down the thread..anyone who understands English that too an aspirant can see the communal hatred and violence that it can incite...and some other flags of personal attacks, attacks on religion etc.,..people like Kattibati are of the view that the debates here are only debates and they may not cause any violence....but they may be informed that there is a separate IT wing with every police station and complaints can be launched there and as per the provisions of IT Act the whole forum can be taken down by the DoT...should the admins and moderators keep shut for just few uninformed fools feel that they can speak anything in an online platform against anyone without even a remote adherence to the law of the land we live in...it is absolute bullshit ....and moreover who said violence cannot be spread online?...it very well can...i was handling the IT team in my previous job where the outlook messenger of the company was enough to cause a huge fight which became a physical attack, sexual harassment and police complaint...If i call you an asshole or abuse your family members online...will you feel that this is online so i have no feelings????...you will feel the pain right????...so is the Forum which is very diverse and attacking religion is inflammatory which can take any violent turns...and more so the present moderators are elected based on popular choice by a majority of people because incidents in the past led to mental trauma of many women and minorities...we understand we need freedom of speech and the Forum thrives because of its users..but we do know when to ban, act, react and close down threads based on complaints from the same users...we are here for that only...we don't want religious pandits like Bodo calling us Chutiyapa and criticizing our actions....it will not take few seconds for us to abuse back even more than we receive...but we have our integrity which we never shed...
    Cmon...i aint gonna bite you
  • Neyawn said:

I am not aware of what happened last night, but here are the rules again ;

1. Discussions that help people prepare for UPSC - allowed
    2. Any exam related discussions - allowed
    3. Anything that helps people come together to crowd source - except piracy - allowed
    4. Religious discussions - not so much
    5. Abuses for whatever reasons, even against Pakistan, Al Qaida, ISIS, - not allowed

Stop thinking form your own point of view. You guys got a platform because a lot of people created content , helpful discussions, and posts relevant to UPSC preparation on ForumIAS. Now, when it is your turn to contribute, you do nothing more than "Bakar", "Abuses", "Debates that divide people".

You may claim that why doesn't ForumIAS allow abuses to Point 5, - not because they are good, but becuse this is not the appropriate forum for it.

Anyone, willing to write a tutorial on How to prepare Polity for Prelims 2016 / Modern Indian History for Prelims 2016 ?

No, you won't. Do not tell me you are not qualified. 80% of people doing Bakar have written Mains, but noone really wants to help!

And if you do not help other, I , in my capacity as a moderator assure you that do not except "freedom of bakar" here, especially if you abuse anyone for any reason - no matter how legitimate your reasons are. , or because "he abused me first".

@nova This is not the right platform for Hindu Muslim discussions, really.
    @tabahi Bhai, I think there is already some speculation thread ongoing? With or without discussion? Could you so a small write up for Yoga as a hobby for the Interview? ( Yes, if everything is ok, Interview call aa jayega )

bhai woh thread marks discussion karne ke liye tha .
    janta ka response mil bhi raha tha lekin usse pahle hi close kar diya .
    maine flag bhi dikhaya lekin kisi ne karan nahi bataya .
    ek saal main 900 visit karne ke baad dusra thread banaya tha . Usko close karne ka koi reason hi nahi tha .
    Ek member ne usi time gambling se pareshan hokar discussion start kiya tha usko bhi close jar diya tha .Baad main usko open kiya .
    Mera toh watsapp , fb sab kuchh forum hi hain .Jab mauka mila tab logon ki help ki , entertain kiya , help li bhi .
  • edited January 2016
    @Etat @Sleeplessnights_89 @lafanga_warrior @Neyawn thank you moderators. good job :)
  • @mods
    Why did you close my thread for physics telegram group?
  • Moderators don't want to end up like Chstlir hebdo team. Don't forget what will happen to them and their families if they upset wrong people.

Republic of India is a farce democracy. It should be renamed as Islamic State of Hind.
  • Mods were also members at some point of time.

It's rightly said : "power corrupts"
  • Moderators don't want to end up like Chstlir hebdo team. Don't forget what will happen to them and their families if they upset wrong people.

Republic of India is a farce democracy. It should be renamed as Islamic State of Hind.

kuch bhi...paranoid ho kya?
This discussion has been closed.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly