We are hiring!

MAP questions - Geography Optional

i would add some places that have been in news recently every week (will close the list on friday evening 8PM)and on sat/sun anyone can mark them and upload that in the discussion(i personally would have done that but i do not ahve any scanner).

all are free to add to the list. (kindly do not add to the list on sat/sun)
from monday morning we will continue the same procedure.
one small request though. kindly do not add the traditional places we all can easily cover that the problem arises when upsc throws some contemporary ones.

@fallen_leaves @others who have Geography as an optional.
Man is sometimes extraordinarily, passionately, in love with suffering.

Comments

• 1. Chappra or Chhapra
    2. Alaknanda Valley
    3. Tadoba-andhari tiger reserve
    4. Garadapur
    5. Aranmula
  • @Woodpecker: nice initiative. Here is my measly contribution to the thread.Will contribute generously in the run up to mains.
    -chorabari glacier
    -gandhi sarovar
    -satopanth glacier
    All related to uttarakhand floods. I myself am from there only :)
    Wherever there is Krishna , the master of all mystics and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also be opulence, victory, extraordinary power and morality.
  • River Barak
    Pargwal island in jammu
    Gogi in karnataka
    Karbi Anglong hills{kaziranga}
    Umiam lake/ barapani in meghalaya
  • @pratikh and @itsmytime it would be better if we make further additions in serial order. if possible can you kindly state the reason in just one or 2 lines. that would make it easier to find the source.

1. Chappra or Chhapra
    2. Alaknanda Valley
    3. Tadoba-andhari tiger reserve
    4. Garadapur
    5. Aranmula
    6. chorabari glacier
    7. gandhi sarovar
    8. satopanth glacier
    9. River Barak
    10. Pargwal island in jammu
    11. Gogi in karnataka
    12. Karbi Anglong hills{kaziranga}
    13. Umiam lake/ barapani in meghalaya

thanks a lot for your contribution. :)
  • @RS86 haha.
    i think these 21 places are more than enough to keep us busy on sat/sun, so lets freeze the list as of now and will resume it on monday moring. thanks for all the contribution. >:D<

can not say anything about unpredictable public service commission man. no one can guess what they might throw at us. we should prepare that also. thanks for the reminder. :)
  • edited July 2013
    @Woodpecker - I don't think Karbi Anglong and Kaziranga are same?
    Rather Garampani wildlife sanctuary is there in Karbi Anglong district

Also, can someone tell where in India is Tree Island, this place has been asked in past years!! :-??
  • @TinTin bro as far as i know Tree island falls under territory of Lakshwadeep Islands. have to confirm about Kaziranga and Karbi though.

Satopant glacier is in Uttarakhand, exact location would be difficult to covey. @RS86 thanks a lot mate for the upload.
  • I have collected information about some places mentioned in the list. Please feel free to add or edit information. Source is Wikipedia and newspaper.

 Chhapra-Chhapra is city and headquarters of Saran district of bihar. Chhapra grew in importance as river mart when Dutch, French, English established saltpetre refineries there. Bhojpuri is the main language of Chhapra.
     Alaknanda Valley- Alaknanda river meets Bhagirathi river at Debprayag after running 190 km through Alaknanda Valley. The place is in news recently when people from Alaknanda valley protest against Vishnugad-Pipalkoti hydroelectric power plant on International day for action on rivers,
     Tadoba Andheri Tiger reserve is the pristine and unique ecosystem situated in chandrapur districtof the Maharashtra state of India. The reserve contains some of the best forest tracks and endowed with rich biodiversity. It is famous for its natural heritage.
     Garadapur-Kendrapara (Odisha), Thanks to locals' animal-friendly endeavour, a sleepy river side village under Garadapur block in Kendrapara district of Odisha has turned into a safe habitat for endangered bats.
    Local residents have come forward to ensure the safety of the mammals. Not long back poaching of bats was rampant in these areas. However, the species is now firmly ensconced in the village with people keeping tight vigil on poaching activity.(taken from PTI)
     Aranmula- Aranmula is a village in the state of Kerala, India. The place is recently in news due to protest against construction of International airport in this area. The argument put forward by the people is that the airport is being constructed on filled paddy field, It will have adverse effect on ecology of the region and there is no need of airport at Arnamala.
     Chorabari Glacier-The Chorabari Glacier or Chorabari Bamak Glacier is a glacier in the Garhwal Himalaya region of the state of Uttarkhand in India. It is the source for the Mandakini River, a tributary of the Alaknanda River, and is itself an important site of Hindu pilgrimage. The place is in news due to partial collapse of the glacier which wiped out Kedarnath and damaged the temple of Lord Shiva which is still standing.
     Satopanth- The Satopanth Glacier is situated in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The term ‘Satopanth’ is perhaps derived from two words – ‘Sat-o’ meaning of truth, and ‘Panth’ meaning path or way
     Barak River- The Barak River is one of the major rivers of South Assam and is a part of the Surma-Meghna River System. It rises in the hill country of Manipur State, where it is the biggest and the most important of the hill country rivers
  • is it better to use legend or write the name on the map?
  • edited July 2013
    Thanks saquib465.

Hope this thread lives on for next 2 months. By then, it would probably cover all the contemporary places [-O<
  • 22. Gundia river , karnataka :controversial gundia power project.
    23. Kumardhara river: gundia is its tributary
    24. Nethravathi river: kumaradhara is its tributary
    25 . Chalukaddy river , kerala : controversial athirapally power project is proposed on this river.
    26. Panagarh , W.B : india's proposed mountain corp for the indo-china border is to be headquartered here
    Wherever there is Krishna , the master of all mystics and wherever there is Arjuna, the supreme archer, there will also be opulence, victory, extraordinary power and morality.
  • 29. Mukundara Hills tiger reserve, Rajasthan
  • 30. Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary
  • 30. Kuno-Palpur wildlife sanctuary
    Lion reintroduction pgm!

On a lighter note was doing field work there, just a month ago ! :P
  • Jiribam - Tupul - Imphal - Moreh (Manipur) Rail link
    Jogbani (Bihar) - Biratnagar (Nepal) Rail link
    Agartala - Akhuara (Bangladesh) Rail Link

Bodhjungnagar (tripura) - rubber plantation (Heard this in news almost 100 times in last 1 year)
    Irapuram(kerala) - Rubber Plantation

Chellagurki (Bellary) - Great Indian Bustard sighted multiple times

Sohra - new name of Cherrapunji
  • Sukhma- Chattisgarh
    Pakur- Jharkhand (Santhal Pargana)
    Maoist attacks!
  • @TinTin and @Siddharth . That makes it

33. Jiribam - Tupul - Imphal - Moreh (Manipur) Rail link
    34. Jogbani (Bihar) - Biratnagar (Nepal) Rail link
    35. Agartala - Akhuara (Bangladesh) Rail Link
    36. Bodhjungnagar (tripura) - rubber plantation (Heard this in news almost 100 times in last 1 year)
    37. Irapuram(kerala) - Rubber Plantation
    38. Chellagurki (Bellary) - Great Indian Bustard sighted multiple times
    39. Sukhma- Chattisgarh
    40. Pakur- Jharkhand (Santhal Pargana)
    41. Sohra - new name of Cherrapunji
  • what are the chances, upsc asking world map this year?
  • what are the chances, upsc asking world map this year?
    it's not been mentioned in the syllabus as against India map. So IMO, nil chance!
  • @all
    is it better to use legend or write the name on the map?
    any views ?
  • slight deviation from topic.....but are we allowed to use stencils in the exam?
  • For map first you categorise the things like :
    For INDIA:-
    Rivers
    Mountains
    Shields
    Islands
    Plateau
    Forests
    Ports
    Volcanoes
    Mountain peaks
    Dams
    Religious places
    Cities in news
    Gulfs
    Straits
    Glaciers
    Lakes
    Water Falls

Add if i have missed something...
  • 45. Hindon river - a tributary of Yamuna. Important in the context of illegal sand mining.
  • Firstly, thanks @Woodpecker for starting this useful thread.

As we continue to list the places that might come up in 2013 paper, it might be helpful to analyse the 2012 and probably 2011 paper. I was doing 'time bounded Google news search (July 2011 to Oct 2012)' to analyse what might have prompted UPSC to go for those locations in 2012 paper. I was not completely satisfied with my search analysis in the sense that many of the places were not prominently in news. I might be missing some thing. It is understandable that some well-known places like Pirpanjal and Manas do appear in mains paper, but I was not sure why some of the smaller places were in the paper. It would be helpful if some one or we as a group try to analyse the 2012 paper. Below is what I could find from my search. Looking forward to others' inputs and analysis.

Manas - Floods
    Ganga River Waterway - There were some news regarding the pollution of Ganga, but nothing significant about the waterway itself
    Indravati River- Some minor bridge construction news
    Kharkai river - news about some festival related pollution
    Kalahandi - was popular with Vedanta related news
    Kakarapara - radiation leak related news
    North Koel River - Floods

other places given in 2012 paper (Bachau, Amravati River, Pirpanjal range, Narkondam Island, Murshidabad, Khetri, Pawapuri, Kolhan highland)

@Moderator @all

If you feel that this post hijacks the thread, feel free to move it to appropriate thread or make it a new thread.

Thanks
  • I agree, there's no point putting in effort to find out why a place came in the question paper. I've tried doing it myself and came to the conclusion that some of the smaller places/rivers come up just because there are not enough prominent cities left that have not been asked before. UPSC is now shifting to divisions and smaller towns instead of district names. Obviously, no one knows all the places and one can get lucky if the town is from his/her state.
  • @all,
    guys, would it be worth the efforts to do places from esi and iybs main chapters?
    Stay Classy ...Stay Genuine
  • @RS86 and @Siddharth

I too agree that analyzing each and every location from previous papers won't be of much help. My intention was to get helpful inputs, such as the ones you both gave, to try and align our approach with that of UPSC's. Thank you both for your inputs. Hope to see some more helpful discussions in this thread.
  • @all

We need to get cracking on this thread! Let us all contribute as many places as we can. 60 marks is a big deal guys.

46. Rajouri
    47. Poonch
    48. Uri
  • @all Is the map going to be for 60 marks this year too? (paper now for 250 and not 300 marks) Will the number of locations come down?
  • One shouldn't take chances, I suppose. However, you might be right. Map pointing this year might be for lesser.
Sign In or Join to comment.
Success Stories from Our Toppers
Minal Karanwal(AIR-35)- CSE 2018
Naveen Reddy(AIR-1)- IFoS 2018
Arushi Mishra(AIR-2) - IFoS 2018
Chirag Jain(AIR-10) - IFoS 2018
Kshitij Saxena(AIR-22) - IFoS 2018
Sumit Rai (AIR-54) - CSE 2018
Anuraj Jain (AIR-24) - CSE 2018

Must Read Articles From Blog
Trend Analysis of UPSC CSE Prelims from 2011-18
How Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh Improved His Writing Speed
How to clear Civil Services with a TOP Rank and AVOID exhausting attempts

Welcome!

We are a secret self-moderated community for Civil Services preparation. Feel free to join, start a discussion, answer a question or just to say Thank you.

Just dont spread the word ;)

Sign in or join with Facebook or Google

Factly